Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The majority of the time. Sometimes if you walk under the goop while it's ceasing to a slow dribble you'll be fine because the Alien's not there anymore (the effect takes a few seconds to dissipate), but if it's on full goop waterfall you're instantly turned into xeno chow.

I picked up this game recently so it'll be fun to see a playthrough of it on the batshit hard difficulty while I personally struggle through on baby Normal difficulty instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

apostateCourier posted:

Absolutely. You can ALWAYS be killed, outside of cutscenes in which you have no control.

On Nightmare you can allegedly be killed by cutscene damage if your health is low enough. YOU ARE NEVER TRULY SAFE :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love the way the alien's face is shaped, it makes his mouth always look like he's doin' a :haw: face, especially visible in the ep 3 death reel. Ripley is scared out of her gourd and meanwhile the alien's just havin' a good ol time. :allears:

edit: "Dick-Monsters From Beyond The Stars" is the name of my thrash metal band so nobody else steal it please

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 27, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Except for the chestburster scene, anyway. Blood flies left and right in that one. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Tough posted:

How many flame thrower bursts does it take to make the alien flee on, say, normal mode?

From my experience, just one, occasionally two (one to make it flinch, another to make it run off). Three, maybe, if you use the flamethrower as an out pretty frequently. A big thing they were pushing with this game is that the alien learns from your tactics and the flamethrower is a good example of that. If you do it TOO often the alien will be like "oh wait this doesn't actually hurt" and just bum rush you through the flames, so that you can't rely on it as a permanent get-out-of-alien-free card.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure "jettison it into space and/or burn it to a crisp" are the only two ways aliens actually have been killed in the main Alien series so v:v:v

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, it seems like there's room for a happy medium here between Hard and Nightmare because on the one hand I like that you basically only ever have maybe six bullets at a time, enough to kill a couple of space Libertarians or one android, but on the other hand it seems kind of lame that the game is so stingy that you can't really assemble any of the neat gadgets that look to be the primary toolkit for dealing with obstacles.

You've inspired me (I'm sorry)

"Six bullets. More than enough to kill one or maybe two things that move."

edit:

"I've been waiting for you, xenomorph... Now we'll see if the alien can live up to the legend!" *gets disemboweled*

edit:

"Now I'll show you why they call me... 'Alien bait'."

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 2, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One tiny thing I like about this game that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that they allow you to hide in basically any locker, under any desk, in any cabinet or vent (except the alien's spawn portal ones obviously) even if no fighting or hiding will ever occur in that room. Some games will make it very obvious when you're about to enter a shooting or stealth segment by dumping the only enterable lockers or the only waist high cover in the world right in the same room; but since the alien wanders around sometimes, the devs took steps to make sure that you can hide inside of anything that looks like you could, anywhere. It really helps add to the feeling that you're never safe when you walk by a row of lockers and [E] HIDE pops up over each one as you pass by.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do love that if the alien doesn't have a way out when you set it alight it'll just bowl right over you in its escape. It's a good parting "gently caress you".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'd also like to mention to everybody to keep in mind while watching the videos on this next part of the game that there are achievements for (which can all be done separately and not on the hardest difficulty thankfully)

2.Beating the game without dying

It's mean of them to put in impossible-to-complete fake out achievements like that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's what I mean, that beating the game without dying is an impossible to complete fake out achievement, I think you missed the joke there

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

edit 2: does the player need to be spinning away and back and away and back from a door/save point/interaction with timed object all the time? Is the player doing that? Or forced cutscene stuff?

The game lets you look around while you're interacting with objects or save points so that you can make a panic abort if an enemy or the alien happens to show up. In the case of save points though once you put the key in there's nothing you can do but wait for your inevitable demise. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Agreeing with everyone else, great LP! As someone who was barely able to make it past the medical deck before wimping out, it was good to see the full game without my baby self being the one behind the controller :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

Which is still nothing compared to Star Wars, where it's considered completely normal to literally cross a galaxy in days, to the point where travel across the entire galaxy is comparable to how we would view a trip around the world. One Canadian engineer used evidence in the films and novelizations to estimate a speed for the Rebel fleet in Return of the Jedi to be at least 9600 light years per day, or 3.5 million times the speed of light.

That's terrifying to think about!

• Locked thread