Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What is that room with the high ceiling with chains hanging down? Nostromo had one and now Sevastopol has one. What's it for?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I noticed that too! The ship in the beginning was creepy just by association.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't realize the alien was that close even when you can't see it. Can anyone explain about how the alien's AI works? Why doesn't it just pop out and kill you with zero effort?

Funny that Dan Abnett wrote for this game, 40K is the reason I can't play scary space games like this. I played through Doom 3 and DMed a Dark Heresy game around the same time, and now all scary space games take place in the 40K setting in my head.

On that note they really need to make a first-person 40K game that doesn't suck one of these days.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Octolady posted:

Watching this game with headphones reeeeeally ramps up the tension, holy poo poo.

Awesome job, TomViolence, thanks for this!

Yeah I've been watching this with headphones on and the lights off.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That comment about the human skeleton reminds me of 40K too! People always say all the skulls decorating the "good guys" are creepy and weird, but they're human skulls. In deep space overflowing with freaky aliens a human skull on your mantlepiece lends the room a comfortable, homey feel!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is that thumping in the walls just random noise designed to scare you are actually the alien clonking around in the vents? It was pretty constant this video.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fridurmus posted:

I seem to recall Creative Assembly went on record that the Alien functions like so:

When it enters the vents (not YOUR vents, ITS vents) it goes to a non-rendered wireframe and travels around very quickly using a kind of 'vent map' that is never rendered nor shown to the player. Any sound of it thumping around in there is entirely its fault, not scripted 'ooh spooky' noises, unless of course it's scripted to go through that area at that time to keep near you.

That's a lot better than the alternative of the teleporting monster that you see a lot in horror movies. He makes so much noise walking around the corridors I thought he had to make noise in the vents too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS

v:shobon:v

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aliens canon is that Ellen Ripley drifts through interstellar space for 57 years. Amanda looks about 10 years old in Ellen's picture of her, presumably taken sometime before the Nostromo's 3-year cruise. Considering that Amanda is probably around 30 in Alien: Isolation, that would make the events of Alien: Isolation take place about 40 years before the events of Aliens. Plenty of time for Amanda to reach the end of middle age and die some years before Ellen is rescued, sometime in Amanda's mid 60s.

Come to think of it this sounds like a time dilation plot point that James Cameron dropped somewhere during his scriptwriting process in favor of a more easily understandable scenario in which everyone's clocks are synchronized.

drat I was just guessing but some Aliens wiki says that's just about exactly right. Amanda is born 2111, age 10 when Ellen Ripley leaves Earth, 13 when the Nostromo is declared overdue, is 27 at the time of Alien: Isolation in 2137 and dies almost exactly 40 years later at age 66 in 2177, two years before Ellen Ripley is discovered. Aliens takes place 2179.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 31, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TomViolence posted:

Body cremated and leaving no children sounds almost too convenient, doesn't it? Obviously, I guess it's more convenient from a screenwriting perspective than anything, but it leaves the door open for all kinds of :tinfoil: theorising.

James Cameron had almost two years to write the screenplay since Fox waffled on the idea of an Alien sequel. I still think it's a time dilation thing that he removed at some point in the writing process. He was working on Terminator at the time he was writing the first draft of the screenplay for Aliens so time travel would have been on his mind.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

David is the best android. :colbert:

I'm watching Alien. Ripley is very much a background character for the first 20 minutes. The first thing anyone says about her is "We'd better stay the gently caress out of her way." drat straight!

(For context, the Nostromo suffers minor damage in the landing on LV-426 and the lower deck half-share guys lie about the time they'll need to effect repairs. Ripley tells them she's coming down, and after the one guy turns off the radio the other says "We'd better stay the gently caress out of HER way." He definitely puts the emphasis on the word "her".)

Also, Ash is buggy from the start if you're paying attention. When asked "How far is it?" he replies "Northeast" and then pauses before correcting himself. Alien is such a good movie.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 1, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

And they would risk being pre-empted by an E android in the next Alien movie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man Ash is weird if you pay attention to him. He's full of little tics, he's emotionally volatile, in the scene where they board the alien ship he goes from intense to playful to annoyed in like two minutes. He's distinctly off if you pay attention to his behavior. Ian Holm's performance is amazing. He can giggle and wave and then convey weird menace with his eyebrows in the same shot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also, Sigourney Weaver in 1979 :swoon:

Hahaha Ripley's attitude extends to non-Alien-related topics. Dallas wants to take off without completing repairs; Ripley thinks that's a terrible idea:
"Oh that's a bunch of bullshit! We can take off without that!"
"We CAN, do you think that's a good idea?!"

It's hard to see through all the aesthetic differences but Nostromo's basic hull form is almost identical to Prometheus. :aaa:

Knowing what we know about the alien, it's really really likely that Ash lied by omission after he did the full-body scan. From that scene there's no way he didn't know about the egg. He just didn't tell any of the crew, and the audience doesn't see the scan result. But we can infer it on later viewings. Ash is a lot more sinister if you know what's going on in the first 40 minutes.

Man Ripley is stone cold.

"Could Brett be alive?"
*Ripley is incredulous* "No."

OH GOD HOW DID ASH GET INTO THE MAINFRAME ROOM

Why did I never notice this before? Ash is the devil.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 1, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When Ash attacks Ripley, Ripley uses the intercom to call for Lambert and Parker. Both are still alive, but neither responds. Ash must have disabled the intercom before he went into the mainframe room. When he appears in the mainframe scene he has already decided to murder Ripley. I never realized any of these things about Ash in my first or second watches of Alien. Ash is a much, much more sinister figure once you understand the plot better.

And yet when as he decides to smother Ripley, Ash is clearly conflicted about it in a weird android way. He's unable to override his directive to protect the alien but he doesn't want to murder Ripley in cold blood. And this is conveyed with no dialog at all, purely through Ian Holm's bizarre robot body language. It's such a good performance!

Ash decides to murder Ripley by forcing a rolled-up magazine down her throat, recalling how the alien orally raped and killed Kane. Ash (and by extension the company) is thematically tied to the alien. Ash doesn't like his role but is unable to escape the company's will, much like the human characters! Capitalism has more in common with a predatory alien than human beings! :aaa: This movie is so good!

(Despite its differences Aliens will continue the theme of the alien and capitalism likewise preying on human beings. Aliens is so good!)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 1, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You're right about the uncanny valley. It's amazing Ian Holm managed to do that in 1979 with no special effects or prosthetics, just weird facial expressions and inhuman body language.

Did you see what I posted earlier about inferring Ash's behavior earlier in the movie? He must have been lying to the crew, at least by omission, from before the film begins. WY knew there was something on LV-426 and replaced Nostromo's science officer with Ash 10 days before launch. He knew why they were out there, he knew they were going to land on LV-426 before they even left Earth space, he knew he was going to violate quarantine long before the question came up, he knew about the egg inside Kane's chest, and when Ripley looked like she might piece it all together he unplugged the phone and tried to strangle her. Honestly Weyland-Yutani is way more responsible for these deaths than the dumb animal in the vents.

You know I don't know who's worse. You don't see them trying to screw each other for a percentage!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 1, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ash, a constructed being, admires the alien's purity of purpose, "unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality." The audience has just watched him struggle with his decision to commit murder. Ash admires the alien not only scientifically, but because he wishes that he could be more like it. Wouldn't purity of purpose be important to a being that knows its creator? Wouldn't humans be crushingly disappointing as gods and masters?

Also the information he gives them is still selected to discourage them from killing the alien, now that he's unable to stop them physically. He tells them they can't kill it even though that's not true at all. Of course, his manipulation sort of backfires. Ripley's first words after his monologue are "We're gonna blow up the ship."

Alien and Aliens are such good movies.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 1, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay I never really got what was happening in the "you are my luck star" scene. Ripley has to coax the alien out of its nook for it to get sucked out the airlock. She has to entice it to attack her in order for her plan to succeed. That's why she turns her back on it. To get it to walk over to her. I never understood that before. The woman has ovaries of steel.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dreadwroth posted:

Actually, Ripley was using the bursts of air to get our alien friend out of his hidey hole so she could suck him out with the airlock. She was singing the song to herself to keep from freaking the gently caress out, she was scared shitless.

It's both. She got it out of the thing with the gasses but I never understood why she turns her back on it. She wants it to stand in front of the hatch, which is RIGHT BEHIND HER :gonk:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 16, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hadley's Hope
Population 158

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't get where this idea that the aliens are immune to bullets comes from. They must have killed dozens of them in Aliens. Sevastopol Station just has a really limited arsenal of small arms. Sidearms even. You'd have to have pretty good aim and reflexes to have a shot at taking down a tiger in close quarters.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Skippy Granola posted:

I just watched Aliens tonight! The Colonial Marines use 10mm caseless high explosive rounds which, sure, would probably do the trick.

Watched it two days ago. It's such a good movie right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm enjoying the LP, but I think all the libertarian jokes are a little weird and not particularly funny. I mean, you might as well call them nazis or maoists, that would be about as apt as calling them libertarians.

Great post/avatar combo

lol if you're a libertarian irl

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's the size of a brown bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Wow. Well you're in for a treat then. I'm not generally one of those people who's like "oh you HAVE to watch this movie" but Alien was, and continues to be, a hugely influential movie to this day, so if you're a fan of sci-fi and/or horror movies you really owe it to yourself to watch it. Aliens is also a lot of fun, and if you want to see what all those Colonial Marines games have been trying to recapture with mixed success, well, there you go.

Yeah and Aliens is just as influential if not more influential than Alien. In turn James Cameron made half the cast read Starship Troopers. It's turtles all the way down!

• Locked thread