Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

good job going to college for something you can literally do at home with a few books.

if it makes you feel any better everything I do professionally I taught myself and I use next to none of what I learned in college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

gnarlyhotep posted:

if it makes you feel any better everything I do professionally I taught myself and I use next to none of what I learned in college

do they even have gbs mod classes in college?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

bitcoin bastard posted:

do they even have gbs mod classes in college?

no that's all passed down through legend and tradition

kremlins
May 9, 2009

CS is for the birds. get a computer engineering degree.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

gnarlyhotep posted:

be like me and go to college to have professors tell you to teach yourself

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

lesson 1 of college: professors aren't there to teach you

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

good job going to college for something you can literally do at home with a few books.

Ha, you can learn to code at home, but the abstract theory stuff that teaches you what works well and what doesn't requires real schooling.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

trap sprung

you really are the thread title

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kremlin Kremlin posted:

CS is for the birds. get a computer engineering degree.

*fails calc 1, has no chance of passing diff eq* *would never have needed any calc-based math anyway*

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

If you teach yourself to code and don't have a CS/ECE degree will anyone still actually hire you?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mons Hubris posted:

If you teach yourself to code and don't have a CS/ECE degree will anyone still actually hire you?

Depends on how much you like being a web dev

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

if you can write code and are willing to have no life and work 60+ hour weeks then yes they don't give a gently caress

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

ItBurns posted:

Hello sir

I am in you CS210 class may I be have to your homework assignment. I have made many try and think it will help in my learning. I will be thankful.

Many honor on your ancestors.

Please do the needful.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

gnarlyhotep posted:

I thought you didn't graduate college?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Also, I already gave you the parody thread in the original thread, and it should have been called "We are C++ students at ITT"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

"We are C++ students at ITT"

*using GI Bill to pay for online classes*

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Honestly and without irony people who use pointers are assholes.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Deki posted:

A linked list is like the easiest fuckin' thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deitel 4 Lyfe

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
<cout> I'm Gay
<cin> ur dick

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

happyhippy posted:

C++ will be in the third and fourth year of your course.
For the first two, you will be learning basic logic, and Prolog.

This was my computer science course.

truth about the computer engineering course here. math and physics and more math with some databases for the first 2 years, then javascript c# java and finally 4th and 5th year c++

Glad I didn't go engineer

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

someone post that 'pointers are Zelda hookshots' thing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BuckarooBanzai posted:

memory addresses, how do they work????

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
HELLO WORLD!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Guys, why does my program leak so much memory?!?!?!?!

Program written in Java, guy never used C++ and has no conception of why this even happens

Pointers will come back to haunt you, no matter what language you use lol

Even on web stuff, enjoy leaking memory because web browsers have two different garbage collection schemes and neither one will clean up dom objects with events attached :allears:

Like, if I want to know if someone knows poo poo about a computer, I ask them what adding integers to a pointer does in C++

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

pepito sanchez posted:

truth about the computer engineering course here. math and physics and more math with some databases for the first 2 years, then javascript c# java and finally 4th and 5th year c++

Glad I didn't go engineer

In EE they taught C in like the first semester, half of the poor bastards had never programmed before and the professor had a sink-or-swim mentality. I think about half of the class dropped and/or switched majors by the time the semester was over.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

In EE they taught C in like the first semester, half of the poor bastards had never programmed before and the professor had a sink-or-swim mentality. I think about half of the class dropped and/or switched majors by the time the semester was over.

CS has a 50% drop rate regardless of how much the professor holds your hand

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

BuckarooBanzai posted:

good luck dynamically allocating memory in c

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

I learned programming on my own and tried to get a job. Nobody would hire me without a piece of paper saying I knew what I already knew. So, I went to a small tech college to take a year-long programming course to get a piece of paper. I ended up teaching the last two months of my own course, which was pretty neat. The first class I taught was Java.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

MaxxBot posted:

the c programming language by kernighan and ritchie was my intro to programming(self-taught, or rather self-teaching) and i feel that i understand pointers perfectly. i'm a big retard so it doesn't stop me coding without thinking about what i'm actually doing sometimes but the explanation in that book is about as clear as it comes.

it's brutal to learn from that book sometimes though, like the exercises at the end of the first chapter. i haven't found many books that are that hard even by the very end, let alone at the end of the first chapter.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Everybody who programs in an OO language uses pointers whether they know it or not.

You one of those weirdos who don't do OO?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

good luck dynamically allocating memory in c

str string = (char *) malloc(99999999999999999);

Should be enough for every program in existence that.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

runupon cracker posted:

Everybody who programs in an OO language uses pointers whether they know it or not.

You one of those weirdos who don't do OO?

yeah understanding pointers really helped me understand the "reference" model you see in java, python, (maybe c++ i havent used it yet lol), etc. this, in python:

code:
 L = []
L.append(L)
would make zero sense to me if i didn't know how pointers worked.

Kerr0r
Mar 18, 2015

happyhippy posted:

Should be enough for every program in existence that.

But how do you know which part to write? I propose this:

code:
void* my_malloc(size_t lmaodontcare)
{
    return string + rand();
}

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

happyhippy posted:

I would be extremely surprised if your operating system actually let you do this

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Sojenus posted:

if you can write code and are willing to have no life and work 60+ hour weeks then yes they don't give a gently caress

This is bs lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

lDDQD posted:

I would be extremely surprised if your operating system actually let you do this

Guess it depends on the size of your size_t

edit: yeah i guess i have no idea what would happen if you actually tried it on a 64 bit machine, the computer i'm on now is fail aids 32 bit

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 20, 2015

• Locked thread