Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The amount of you unironically posting the "there is no good music today!"'; "today's music is all autotuned electronic garbage, what happened to REAL musical talent??" tropes is ridiculous. If you truly believe this, you have made absolutely ZERO effort to discover new music. There's tons of great stuff out there, waiting for you, and you can finally put away your tired dinosaur bands and discover artists that took the principles and ideas they created and refined them.

It's fine if you prefer classic rock, or enjoy the comfort from the familiarity of it and don't want to put forth effort to discover new music, but own up to that instead of dismissing all new music as crap. Between iTunes, social media, YouTube, XM Radio, and endless free, streaming music discovery services like Pandora, Songza, and Spotify, there is NO EXCUSE to have this opinion.

lol.

Look at this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Feranon posted:

I was in high school in the early 2000s and boy howdy if there was ever a time to moan about how new music sucks and listen to old poo poo it was then, jesus christ

good popular music in the 2000's:

-outkast

well i think that about covers it.

seriously gently caress that whole decade of music, it was absolute garbage. rock music was pretty much carried exclusively by nu-metal poo poo until they all died out around 2003 and the rest of the decade, rock was carried by maroon 5 and nickelback. rap plunged in quality drastically, pop has always been hit or miss as gently caress and it was almost entirely misses for the whole decade. there have never been a worse ten years for popular music, and i doubt there ever will be a decade as bad as the 200's were again.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

unironcially asking: what's good rap music to listen to?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

StashAugustine posted:

generic answer: wu tang (it's how i and like everyone i know got into rap)
goony answer: el-p, killer mike, danny brown and the various artists associated with these three
white person answer: kendrick lamar, del tha funkee homosapien/deltron 3030

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
whitest person answer: deltron 3030, aesop rock

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Buttrock would be a better term for most of today's "rock" because it's definitely anything but. I'd rather listen to Breaking Benjamin or Theory of a Deadman (not that I'm much of a fan of either) before some fag whispering about how he used to bundle up when he was cold or some goon singing about chugging cough syrup. It's a repeat of the late-70s lite-rock shitshow that ruined radio back then.

Streaming is nice and all, but what I've found with starting a station with a newish band that owns amps and pedals (say Cage the Elephant for example), it's still going to try and shove all the folk and lite-rock poo poo down your throat. After a few days or weeks of tweaking it you will end up with something listenable. You just have to be patient. Most of the "rock" playlists on Spotify are pretty lovely, too. The classic rock and hip hop playlists are usually pretty decent, though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The amount of you unironically posting the "there is no good music today!"'; "today's music is all autotuned electronic garbage, what happened to REAL musical talent??" tropes is ridiculous. If you truly believe this, you have made absolutely ZERO effort to discover new music. There's tons of great stuff out there, waiting for you, and you can finally put away your tired dinosaur bands and discover artists that took the principles and ideas they created and refined them.

It's fine if you prefer classic rock, or enjoy the comfort from the familiarity of it and don't want to put forth effort to discover new music, but own up to that instead of dismissing all new music as crap. Between iTunes, social media, YouTube, XM Radio, and endless free, streaming music discovery services like Pandora, Songza, and Spotify, there is NO EXCUSE to have this opinion.

*clicks on trending pop song on YouTube's main page*
YEP all music today is crap = CONFIRMED!

I'm team this century's music but still lmao

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

abigserve posted:

Skillful music played on real instruments in a day before auto tuning and over produced shows is enjoyable in a different way than listening to modern music. I like crap like "I'm an albatroiz", it's fun to listen to, but you can't appreciate it on a deeper level.

At least a part of this is undoubtedly fake nostalgia from being coached by relatives about "real music" and "the good old days" but still.

Lol classic rock isn't skillful music played on real instruments. There were a few good lead guitarists and a couple of talented drummers in prog bands but bass and singing skills are really lacking in 99% of rock bands. I mean that's kind of the appeal because they're all so lovely and low rent you and your friends can sit in a garage and do a good job covering them in a few months time for your high schools battle of the bands. Lol that musical talent is now taken as some sort of advantage that classic rock has when Beyonce could out sing 99.99% of rock singers when she has a cold.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Business Octopus posted:

Lol classic rock isn't skillful music played on real instruments. There were a few good lead guitarists and a couple of talented drummers in prog bands but bass and singing skills are really lacking in 99% of rock bands. I mean that's kind of the appeal because they're all so lovely and low rent you and your friends can sit in a garage and do a good job covering them in a few months time for your high schools battle of the bands. Lol that musical talent is now taken as some sort of advantage that classic rock has when Beyonce could out sing 99.99% of rock singers when she has a cold.

also laffin at the idea that the only music it takes skill to make is rock music in the first place. even music in which they don't play any instruments at all still requires a lot of skill and dedication. for example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI

and mind you when prodigy originally made this song, they were working with far less advanced tools than this.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
chiptunes are the most challenging and demanding works of art to create, in terms of skill, talent, and intelligence

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

It's hard to listen to a band about murder and loving when your brain always goes "oh yeah this is that band your lame mom likes". Kinda ruins it.

I don't hate my parents to the extent that I even have an aversion to the same music they may like. I hope you get better.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

lol.

Look at this guy.

He's right, not much to look at really.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I mean I listen to a lot of classic rock but there are plenty of newer bands that are great especially since indie rockers seem to be rediscovering that it's okay to actually rock out

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

The Whole Internet posted:

He's right, not much to look at really.

tbf redshirt is literally kind of retarded

complaining about how much music sucks nowadays is really stupid

even if you just want to listen to bands play 70s style rock, guess what, there's new bands doing exactly that, for instance, free energy and mount caramel

or just say that all music from the past 30 years sucks and palm slam that ac/dc cassette back into the tape deck

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
i like pink floyd and led zepellin

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Pavement are the only good band of the last 25 years.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

lol at people who can not judge music on content so they fetishize technical skill.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how a thread making fun of people who only listen to classic rock has turned into a thread for those people to talk about how totally awesome classic rock is.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

Cubey posted:

rap plunged in quality drastically

this is not universally regraded as true at all. rap just changed it didn't plunge, just as it continues to do today.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

all rap is trash for self conscious white people who are trying to look cool

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Don't want to say everything is relative here guys or some the answer is in the middle bullshit but have some historical perspective. A lot of what we call classic rock met the same criticisms as we're throwing down on modern music. I'm sure people called The Beatles poo poo in comparison to jazz and Chuck Berry was ruining white kids with black music. gently caress, in 1969 when you had Floyd, Dylan, Joplin, and Hendrix, the song at the top of the charts was Sugar Sugar by The Archies - a loving song by a band that doesn't even exist. Give it forty years and people will be like 00s was when they made REAL music.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
ac dc is really bad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Testikles posted:

Don't want to say everything is relative here guys or some the answer is in the middle bullshit but have some historical perspective. A lot of what we call classic rock met the same criticisms as we're throwing down on modern music. I'm sure people called The Beatles poo poo in comparison to jazz and Chuck Berry was ruining white kids with black music. gently caress, in 1969 when you had Floyd, Dylan, Joplin, and Hendrix, the song at the top of the charts was Sugar Sugar by The Archies - a loving song by a band that doesn't even exist. Give it forty years and people will be like 00s was when they made REAL music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om4AE5El9oE

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I can't tell if the people itt defending classic rock with that old 'that was what real music sounded like!' argument are trolling or not. That's so juvenile I just can't take it seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

StashAugustine posted:

Akala, Brother Ali, Lowkey (though he can be a bit self-indulgent sometimes). If you don't mind lyrics that aren't in English, the French and Dutch rap scenes are pretty good, like IAM and Diam's, and Dice-Cream, T-Slash and Brainpower.

• Locked thread