Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
like, dont like anything but classic rock, could literally listen to whatever your metropolitan area's seven classic rock stations forever and be satisfied

if its like a 40-50 year old dad, that's fine, your dreams are dead so you might as well live in the past, but whenever i meet someone in their 20s who only likes classic rock it kind of blows my mind. theres other things out there other than ac/dc and led zeppelin, guys.

alt thread: post your favorite garbage classic rock that ppl claim is actually not garbage, but instead good music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i was that kid, and it was because my dad would blast classic rock on his stereo system. my dad loved his stereo. it's where he put in the most money. he had a stack of complicated consoles that i did not know what they did and they were attached to stereos that were as tall as i was until i was like 10. he played blue oyster cult and boston and led zeppelin and it rubs off on you when you're an impressionable kid. everyone around me was listening t o boyz ii men and i was listening to pulp and pink floyd. i didn't think i was better or a hipster it was just the environment i was in. my sister and i would go to sleep listening to the war of the worlds rock opera. that was life.

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
i was like that until i got broadband

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

shiksa posted:

like, dont like anything but classic rock, could literally listen to whatever your metropolitan area's seven classic rock stations forever and be satisfied

Because everything made after about '93 is loving awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w7OgIMMRc4

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
i like everything but country and (c)rap

(actually just listens to classic rock radio)

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i pretended to like Zappa as a teen but i never actually listened to any of his music

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

a messed up horse posted:

i pretended to like Zappa as a teen but i never actually listened to any of his music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb21lsCQ3EM

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If you don't listen to harsh noise and tape loops you've hosed up.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Sturgeon's revelation: ninety percent of anything is crap. Modern music still has most of the crap laying about but classic rock has decades of music that's already been sifted through. The rest of it accounts for taste so one man's crap is another's treasure. I personally hate the gently caress out of Kim Mitchell but because of Canadian content laws I hear him on the radio.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdwpkM-6SFU

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
My two fave decades of music are the 70s and 80s, but not just rock. everything was good during this time. rock, prog, metal, disco, pop, hi-nrg, dance, soul, punk, garage, etc etc.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

prog rock was never good and never will be :colbert:

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I dunno what's gayer, a 16 year old that loves fleetwood Mac or a 16 year old that loves those really gay imagine dragons and Bastille singles I hear all the time.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

prog rock was never good and never will be :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWmqfyE4M6o

naem
May 29, 2011

There was a continuous lineage of rock from the 1960's through the early 1990's that was related and had a real edge and social message and similar musicals stylings etc etc

It's over and no one's doing it anymore

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

rush is not good please don't troll

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
you get to assume a rebellious position wrt the assholes at your school while enjoying the cultural validation of enjoying "real" music. pretty obvious imo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Testikles posted:

Sturgeon's revelation: ninety percent of anything is crap. Modern music still has most of the crap laying about but classic rock has decades of music that's already been sifted through. The rest of it accounts for taste so one man's crap is another's treasure. I personally hate the gently caress out of Kim Mitchell but because of Canadian content laws I hear him on the radio.

this is basically it also the radio stations are more varied cause they're playing more than the 50 currently popular songs. i actually kinda like pop/rap/hiphop but i don't know where to start

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I just listen to all the songs from the Fallout games, I commonly blare out "Anything Goes" on full blast with my sub woofers at +10.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpCV2wgoxC8

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I was like that but mainly because mid/late 90s music was awful.

I listen to today's popular music, it is good poo poo. Today's youth is lucky to have missed out on nu metal.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

StashAugustine posted:

this is basically it also the radio stations are more varied cause they're playing more than the 50 currently popular songs. i actually kinda like pop/rap/hiphop but i don't know where to start

it's styx on the 6 here at kfgt, northern missouri's TOP classic rock station. you know what that means, folks, we play styx at least 24 times a day six minutes after the hour. this time, as it is about every third time, it's renegade, take it away boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNxr9M0yZg

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

shiksa posted:

it's styx on the 6 here at kfgt, northern missouri's TOP classic rock station. you know what that means, folks, we play styx at least 24 times a day six minutes after the hour. this time, as it is about every third time, it's renegade, take it away boys

that's all well and good, but do they get the led out?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Because I grew up in the sticks and it was still 1975

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's the beginner's technique for being pretentious but no actually knowing anything. Later you can move onto film despite only watching things that came out after 1990 or saying retro videogames were so much better but your Steam account only had Deus Ex listed for five minutes next to your 200 hours of Team Fortress 2.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Horniest Manticore posted:

that's all well and good, but do they get the led out?

boy do they

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Million Ghosts posted:

If you don't listen to harsh noise and tape loops you've hosed up.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

They're good songs and you gain cred with old creeps who like Aerosmith. Like me.

I mean I guess not Styx. Nothing classic about them.

edit: love is such a crime

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 20, 2015

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I know "old guys" who are like 40 who love 70s Rock and I'm like, why don't you love the poo poo from your own youth?? Or at least their twenties.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
You millenial shits dont even come close to even understanding!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bananaquiter posted:

I was like that but mainly because mid/late 90s music was awful.

I listen to today's popular music, it is good poo poo. Today's youth is lucky to have missed out on nu metal.

nu metal was more like late-late 90s-early 2000s

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i was that kid, and it was because my dad would blast classic rock on his stereo system. my dad loved his stereo. it's where he put in the most money. he had a stack of complicated consoles that i did not know what they did and they were attached to stereos that were as tall as i was until i was like 10. he played blue oyster cult and boston and led zeppelin and it rubs off on you when you're an impressionable kid. everyone around me was listening t o boyz ii men and i was listening to pulp and pink floyd. i didn't think i was better or a hipster it was just the environment i was in. my sister and i would go to sleep listening to the war of the worlds rock opera. that was life.

me too. Except it pushed me into listening to rap. boy my dads racist rear end sure did flip out when he came home and saw me watching them bitches hoppin out the back of coolios ride. wish we had chief Keef back then

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xaris posted:

nu metal was more like late-late 90s-early 2000s

korn was invented in like 94

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Testikles posted:

This makes a lot of sense, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPhWR4d3FJQ&list=PLq5_IODrGmKgmpOzh0z1kystHczzHgYaj

Idk I like dad music and it takes :effort: contemporary artists I like

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
my parents gave me their record collection, pretty much

then i grew a brain, a dick, and a heart, and started listening to things that weren't black sabbath and david bowie (bowie still loving rules though so a preemptive stfu to anyone even THINKING bad thoughts about him)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Classic rock is pretty awesome when it's new to you and not something you've heard a thousand times.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

argondamn posted:

Classic rock is pretty awesome when it's new to you and not something you've heard a thousand times.

it sounds super loving lame, i know, but at a time when green day's dookie was the height of good music among my peers, there was something magical about listening to a record for the first time. i'll never forget sitting on a bean bag chair in my room and listening to black sabbath's first album for the very first time, it was the coolest thing i'd ever heard.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

uG posted:

me too. Except it pushed me into listening to rap. boy my dads racist rear end sure did flip out when he came home and saw me watching them bitches hoppin out the back of coolios ride. wish we had chief Keef back then

yeah i basaically don't listen to the stuff at all anymore and my ipod is full of edm and electronic stuff that gives my dad a headache.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Jukebox hero may be the best song ever. Or maybe not. Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

because modern music is loving trash. i like instruments and real voices, not beats designed for retards and auto tuned bullshit

• Locked thread