Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elendilmir
Apr 19, 2005
There is kind of a sweet spot for this kind of music when you're in your teens up to about thirty. That's when you're taking stuff in, and internalizing it like it's really important. As you age a bit, life kicks in, and you realize that your taste in music isn't (or shouldn't be) your primary defining characteristic as more and more real world stuff happens to you. Since the huge rock revolution of the fifties, the model for popular music has been pretty static.

It strikes me that now that there are a few decades of this music kicking around, a person of that age would be as likely to grock on one flavor as another, now that it's all available 24/7. There is no real reason that a 16 year old wouldn't respond to Zepplin in 2015 the same way that 16 year olds responded to it in 1977, and once you're on the stuff you're on the trajectory.

/yymv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Zeppelin rules.
AC/DC rules
The Who is over rated.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

elendilmir posted:

There is kind of a sweet spot for this kind of music when you're in your teens up to about thirty. That's when you're taking stuff in, and internalizing it like it's really important. As you age a bit, life kicks in, and you realize that your taste in music isn't (or shouldn't be) your primary defining characteristic as more and more real world stuff happens to you. Since the huge rock revolution of the fifties, the model for popular music has been pretty static.

It strikes me that now that there are a few decades of this music kicking around, a person of that age would be as likely to grock on one flavor as another, now that it's all available 24/7. There is no real reason that a 16 year old wouldn't respond to Zepplin in 2015 the same way that 16 year olds responded to it in 1977, and once you're on the stuff you're on the trajectory.

/yymv

for people who have friends music is a social phenomenon and only listening to Led Zep in 2015 is pretty wierd unless you mostly hang out with 60-year-olds

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

for people who have friends music is a social phenomenon and only listening to Led Zep in 2015 is pretty wierd unless you mostly hang out with 60-year-olds

But Zeppelin is the best.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Listening to Sheep by Floyd and I have mixed feelings about it. The music itself is pretty good, but it's so heavy handed with its theme that it just reeks of poo poo teenagers would find deep. Guess that was the demographic they were going for.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My classic rock station has started to play Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc, and its one of the new signs I keep seeing that I'm getting old.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

facebook jihad posted:

Listening to Sheep by Floyd and I have mixed feelings about it. The music itself is pretty good, but it's so heavy handed with its theme that it just reeks of poo poo teenagers would find deep. Guess that was the demographic they were going for.

..and still have that same base of fans torturing the rest of us who just want to hear something that doesn't suck during the morning commute.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

redshirt posted:

My classic rock station has started to play Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc, and its one of the new signs I keep seeing that I'm getting old.

Yeah when I first heard stone temple,pilots on the classic rock station I had decided I was loving old. I mean.. It isn't even the same genre at all. But now that it's 20 years old I guess it's time.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

that grungy 90s alternate rock stuff never felt too far removed from 70s rock. if anything feels out of place on classic rock stations it's lovely 80s hair bands.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wtf is wrong with you if you cannot enjoy this song. smdh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-3zwPgsTI

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

facebook jihad posted:

No, Roger Waters just was (and still is) a dumb angsty teenager

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this song has some of the best guitar riffs of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq8OU-7JDFA

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Old Van Halen rules.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i was also this kid

still think steely dan is the best band on earth

they are amazing live

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cubey posted:

yeah top 40 right now isn't too bad. especially compared to top 40 throughout the 2000's.

actually that entire decade was pretty poo poo across pretty much every genre, now that i think about it.

its not offensively bad but its so loving bland and boring. the only top 40 song i remember from the past 5 years is happy and only because everyone abused the gently caress out of that song, it played in every loving commerical and tv spot and sporting event

TEAYCHES posted:

i was also this kid

they are amazing live

you have Good Opinions THS. agreed on the live part but the one time i saw them they didnt play several of their classics it was very sad

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

babypolis posted:

its not offensively bad but its so loving bland and boring. the only top 40 song i remember from the past 5 years is happy and only because everyone abused the gently caress out of that song, it played in every loving commerical and tv spot and sporting event

At least that finally got them to stop using the loving Blackeyed Peas, and that goddamn "radioactive" thing.

Give me Supertramp, or give me death. :patriot:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

At least that finally got them to stop using the loving Blackeyed Peas, and that goddamn "radioactive" thing.

Give me Supertramp, or give me death. :patriot:

yeah honestly i didnt mind that much because it is an incredibly catchy song. it feels like it was designed in a lab for max catchyness

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
some real fuckin bad opinons about music in this thread

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
its sort of a stage u go through when getting into discovering music (and :420:) beyond top 40 stuff, and developing a taste for what u like listening to...nothing wrong with that at all and its really dumb to believe otherwise

outside of college radio, classic rock stations are really the only other thing i listen to when having to resort to FM radio presets even though i can regcognize almost every song played within 5 seconds and not really my preferred taste in music anymore. so im glad its a thriving format and all but it sucks that most of them now play like green day and soundgarden, and music made prior to 1965 is rarely heard on major market FM stations nowadays

babypolis posted:

this song has some of the best guitar riffs of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq8OU-7JDFA

yeah that whole song owns

^ Jeff "Skunk" Baxter: Doobie boy, Dan man, and freelance consultant to the US gov on missile defense. p sure hes a shameless MIC shill and "libertarian" but he gets a free pass from me just because thats more bizarre than J mascis being a public defender

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 21, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Lots of goons still listening to FM radio in TYOOL 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Lots of goons still listening to FM radio in TYOOL 2015

it holds more music than an ipod and is maintenance and (playlist based) distraction free :colbert:

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

i was also this kid

they are amazing live

hell yeah. same here :hf:

rock in the late 90's early 2000's was loving horrendously bad. all i listened to in highschool/college was classic rock and punk

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010
there's nothing wrong with liking classic rock as long as you don't pretend that it's the only good music made in the entire 20th century. also the 80s loving sucked with the exception of tom waits

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Gone are the days when watching films of books burning, accompanied by music, could rile the youth as with this nationalistic 'Toto' music.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747

best friend massage posted:

there's nothing wrong with liking classic rock as long as you don't pretend that it's the only good music made in the entire 20th century. also the 80s loving sucked with the exception of tom waits

Birthday Party is like a planned noise mix.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

toto aint nationalistic its a goddamn breakfast cereal rock band

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

West SAAB Story posted:

it holds more music than an ipod and is maintenance and (playlist based) distraction free :colbert:

The average clear channel station plays fewer different tracks, ever, than are in 1gb of MP3s

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The average clear channel station plays fewer different tracks, ever, than are in 1gb of MP3s

Drat. You got me there. I forgot about Clear Channel. I have a not-CC radio station (1) that still has REAL LIVE DJs in TYOOL 2015. I listen to them in the morning just to give them my demographics.

Well, its still maintenance free. ^:shobon:^

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

West SAAB Story posted:

basically...plus i have a 20min commute to work, my secondhand ipod's battery needs charging constantly while my radar detector is usually uplugged into my only 12v port, and besides i usually spend all day listening to SiriusXM already so im too lazy to log in on my phone that and its interface is annoying to use when behind the wheel

but yeah i can see why listening to FM radio these days is practically shameful...i really do miss the radio that was on when growing up with each station being somewhat unique and a reflection of their own geographic area, so what u would hear when travelling would be totally different from what u would hear back home

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 21, 2015

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
I'm starting to think there hasn't been a Top 10 song with a decent guitar solo in at least 15 years.
I mean a real solo involving skill, not just playing the vocal melody.

Also, I know a lot of people don't like Fagen's whiny vocals or the odd chord changes, but if you can't appreciate this I just don't know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmY9RwITtE4

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
The best band from the 70's was Thin Lizzy. Case Closed.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

and here I am feeling bad for getting heavily into kmdm at age 30. Classic rock is loving boring, except for maybe bowie and some of the krautrock stuff.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Best classic rock bands, ranked:

1. Led Zep
2. AC/DC
3. Van Halen
4. Rolling Stones
5. CCR

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That ranking is almost as important to me as whether people enjoy sriracha or not.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Sphinxster posted:

That ranking is almost as important to me as whether people enjoy sriracha or not.

Cool, as long as we're agreed Zep is the best.

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

shiksa posted:

if its like a 40-50 year old dad, that's fine, your dreams are dead so you might as well live in the past, but whenever i meet someone in their 20s who only likes classic rock it kind of blows my mind. theres other things out there other than ac/dc and led zeppelin, guys.

Hey gently caress off, my dreams... actually never mind, carry on.

That being said I don't know how people my age can still listen to the same poo poo they've been hearing forever. Let's all listen to Hotel California AGAIN. Kids have an excuse in that they haven't had it jammed into their ears for literally decades.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Classic Rock certainly has its place, but the problem with it is that they aren't making any more of it. I, at least, need to discover new things from time to time. I'm old as poo poo and in the last 5 years I have discovered tons of new metal, mostly from Europe (and Devin Townsend... love that guy). I'd put a few songs from Nightwish's Imaginarium album against *classic rock anthem* any day.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
OP they do it because that way they will never experience the profound sense of alienation and despair when they realise they can't relate to modern music. like how i felt when i realised i dont like death grips. i dont like them and i dont like the kids who listen to death grips and i just wish they would play some real music again like that nice bing crosby and other fine crooners. that was real music. back in the day. back in the day. remember the 90s?

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
Don't forget we used to have quality pop songs that featured talented musicians like Todd Rungren. He plays all of the instruments on his songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnLLU6XPPmQ

He is also quite the freak, his attitude towards women in 1972 was incredibly progressive for the time, and what the gently caress is he doing in the Jackson 5 show?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsezr0qiFIc

This is some crazy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
i'm really into rammstein

• Locked thread