Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
A lot of times when a movie is a hit, the people that made it decide to 'double dip' and make a second movie with the same title as the first one. It's a great idea in theory, because ideally the audience is getting more of what they liked about the first movie, but in actuality this is not always the case. It happens all the time that they will change the cast or the director, or do something else differently, and it doesn't turn out as good as part 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I disagree. Most "Part 1" movies anymore are taken from books that have been unnecessarily cut into two. They feature nothing but drawn out setup, leaving the actual climax for the second half.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
When they do that it's more like splitting one long movie into separate feature length segments rather than making two separate movies.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Mantis42 posted:

I disagree. Most "Part 1" movies anymore are taken from books that have been unnecessarily cut into two. They feature nothing but drawn out setup, leaving the actual climax for the second half.

Ironically, the first part of the film that set this trend, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is not only better than its Part 2 but also one of the best films in its respective franchise.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MajorB posted:

Ironically, the first part of the film that set this trend, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is not only better than its Part 2 but also one of the best films in its respective franchise.

That isn't hard when there are only 2 good movies out of the 8.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

number 2

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That isn't hard when there are only 2 good movies out of the 8.

Besides Prisoner of Azkaban being the best, I'm actually really fond of David Yates' entries in the series. They nailed the atmospheres of their respective books and even if the series itself is ultimately a really flawed adaptation, each of them are actually pretty good on their own. Yates does a ton of shout-outs, including Ang Lee's Hulk in Phoenix and Brazil in Deathly Hallows Part 1, there's lots of panache in the cinematography, and the screenplays managed to suss out what made the books compelling without getting caught in extraneous detail. Except that loving mirror shard.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Counterpoint: Friday the 13th Part 2 is way better than the first.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

that's the best counterexample you could've picked including the Godfather part 2

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Cannon Films had this locked down. They released American Kickboxer, then To the Death which is a sequel with much of the same cast, then immediately after re-released the first movie as American Kickboxer 1 alongside a completely unrelated movie they titled American Kickboxer 2: To the Death, basically removing the actual sequel from existence.

I do like Tetsuo II: Body Hammer more than Tetsuo: The Iron Man though.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

part 2s are often okay but if you wanna really prove a point about sequels sucking you gotta bring in Part 3s because The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is pretty much the only part 3 not to suck

edit poo poo i forgot a Nightmare on Elm Street part 3 is also really good

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's the best counterexample you could've picked including the Godfather part 2
Does it really count though? Being part 2 implies it's the second half of an unfinished story, whereas Godfather Part 2 is half prequel taken from the novel and half a sequel to that novel. Godfather Part 1 definitely had an ending.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pierson posted:

Does it really count though? Being part 2 implies it's the second half of an unfinished story, whereas Godfather Part 2 is half prequel taken from the novel and half a sequel to that novel. Godfather Part 1 definitely had an ending.

i'ma say that a movie that says part 2 right in the title counts as a part 2, yes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I agree the bigger challenge is to come up with Part 3's that were any good. This is what I could come up with off the top of my head, and even these are most likely questionable to a lot of people:

Exorcist III(don't argue with this one, I'll fight you)
Men in Black III
Friday the 13th Part 3(they don't start really sucking until part 5)
Nightmare on Elm Street 3
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King(not as good as the first two but still very very good)
Die Hard With a Vengeance
I'm also going to go out on a limb and say whenever The Raid 3 is made it will be awesome

And here's a Part 2 that people like to poo poo on but I've always thought is extremely underrated: Predator 2

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm glad you brought that up, because the horror genre seems to reverse the phenomenon more often than others in my experience. Movies like Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Romero's of the Dead series, and probably a few others have Part 2s that are as good as or sometimes better than the first. But I think these examples stand out because of how uncommon they are, which only supports the theory that Part 2 is usually not as good as Part 1.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Breaking Dawn: Part II

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Also it has a theme song by Dokken with a loving awesome video to go along with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDveKxl7Ohs

New theory:

Sequels are only good if Dokken appears on the soundtrack, and that soundtrack song includes a video with a miniaturized drummer in a furnace and a guitar player awkwardly bursting through a wall to play his solo.

This theory and more like it will appear in my upcoming book on cinema theory, soon to be available everywhere.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Kill Bill Vol. 2 is better than Vol. 1 :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

John Dough posted:

Kill Bill Vol. 2 is better than Vol. 1 :colbert:

Nah. Still pretty good though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gremlins 2 is better than Gremlins 1.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Harlock posted:

Yep.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The second movie in most Super-Hero franchises is usually the best, because the first is all 'hero myth origin' Conrad bullshit, and the third is usually a plodding, overlong setup to the inevitable spin-offs.

Second movie hits it just right most of the time.

Exceptions: Iron Man is the reverse, where the second one is the bad one.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Everblight posted:

The second movie in most Super-Hero franchises is usually the best, because the first is all 'hero myth origin' Conrad bullshit, and the third is usually a plodding, overlong setup to the inevitable spin-offs.

I like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harlock posted:

This is true, but you needed to have Gremlins 1 be the movie it was in order to make Gremlins 2, if you see what I mean.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight.

I need to watch these again. I have a feeling Dark Knight has gotten worse with age and Begins may have gotten better.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
I loved Hot Shots Part Deux far more than Part 1.

Specifically because it has more Lloyd Bridges.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Most movies are usually not good. Let's face it cinema is just an inferior art form to music and literature.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
You might think a good counter-example would be the Star Wars movies - but you'd be dead wrong, because the first two Star Wars are actually Part 4 and Part 5.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
History of the World Part 2 (in theory) would've been better than Part 1.

Hitler on Ice and Jews in Space are lightyears more hilarious.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FrostedButts posted:

I loved Hot Shots Part Deux far more than Part 1.

Specifically because it has more Lloyd Bridges.

Hot Shots part Deux renders the first one obsolete, this principle also applies to Addams Family Values

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Everblight posted:

Thor is also the exception apparently.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

computer parts posted:

Thor is also the exception apparently.

both thor movie sucked is the thing

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

a bay posted:

Movies like Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Romero's of the Dead series, and probably a few others have Part 2s that are as good as or sometimes better than the first.

Halloween 2 is nowhere near the quality of Halloween, but the original is kind of a special case.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Halloween 3, on the other hand, rules.

Motsy
Jul 12, 2006
Hide the rum...
I vastly preferred Hostel Part 2 to the original.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

part 2s are often okay but if you wanna really prove a point about sequels sucking you gotta bring in Part 3s because The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is pretty much the only part 3 not to suck

Toy Story 3

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is way better than Secret of the Ooze by a wide margin.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This theory breaks down when the starting point is really bad to begin with. There comes a point in any sequence of DTV-quality sequels where all pretense of caring what the audience thinks disappears, and any sequels from that point on have a certain liberty to do whatever the hell they want which is often much more interesting, or at least less safe and contained, than the original offering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Blade series managed the rare one-two punch of a first part that owned a whole lot, and then a second one that managed to be even better. The third one made up for it by being extra terrible, though.

• Locked thread