Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again

redshirt posted:

The world needs more mechanical engineers.

i have 600 engineering in wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

opus111 posted:

so which one of the two do you fall into?

You guess

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

jigglemaster7 posted:

yes but what's your charisma stat

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

jigglemaster7 posted:

Yes, bless your millenial heart.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Horniest Manticore posted:

yes but what's your charisma stat

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
i miscellaneous organic chemist am of greater importance than even the most renowned of historians archaeologists or anthropologists

you should literally worship my contributions to the field of working in a nondescript lab on a third-rate industrial estate for the rest of my distinctly mediocre life

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Eustachy posted:

I don't know how hard hieroglyphics are but I was talking about the thing he's studying. If you find it so aggravating and difficult then do something else, dont grumble about other people who arent purposely making themselves miserable for whatever retarded reason. I doubt the type of person who does that is really ever going to know how to be content and relax so the "well youll be working at starbucks while i make enough money to buy several douchemobiles" reason is not compelling

I don't find it hard and frustrating, I graduated magna. I'm just saying that I found my 300 level lib arts electives even easier because reading books and writing essays is not difficult. Like I totally agree that engineers poo poo on lib arts a lot for no reason but the answer to that isn't "well you couldn't get an english degree if you tried!" because I guarantee you the A stem students could absolutely destroy the curves in your lit classes too. I hope this doesn't destroy your worldview but most scientists are just good at applying themselves in general, pretty much all my colleagues have some hobby outside science and they're always good at it, whether it's music, art, sports, or whatever.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

jigglemaster7 posted:

ive been busting my rear end for the past 4 days studying organic chemistry and this nerd in birkenstocks is using up the white board drawing birds and poo poo.

kill all liberal arts retards

i know which library u are in and im coming for you

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

RavenKrows posted:

does gbs still hate stem degrees i remember that being a thing in the dark times
you're right though liberal arts is the reason college-educated doesn't mean anything anymore

lol good luck joining the ever swelling ranks of disposable dumb faggots with CS degrees adn teh critical thinking skills of a bag of doorknobs. die you stupid fucker

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
you totally don't have to be able to critically think to solve hard stem problems. You see the only form of critical thinking that exists is when your professor tells you to write a 10 page essay on how x contributed to y and then you look up a bunch of sources and write about it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

you totally don't have to be able to critically think to solve hard stem problems. You see the only form of critical thinking that exists is when your professor tells you to write a 10 page essay on how x contributed to y and then you look up a bunch of sources and write about it.

there are different types of critical thinknig hurrrrrrrhghghghgh

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

hieroglyphs are cool????i dont understand what the problem is

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Peanut Butter posted:

i miscellaneous organic chemist am of greater importance than even the most renowned of historians archaeologists or anthropologists

you should literally worship my contributions to the field of working in a nondescript lab on a third-rate industrial estate for the rest of my distinctly mediocre life

yeah because making cool drugs and chemicals isnt totally badass..

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

jigglemaster....i know where u are...

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Frog Act posted:

jigglemaster....i know where u are...

okay lets hang out

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

jigglemaster7 posted:

yeah because making cool drugs and chemicals isnt totally badass..

i dunno if i'd call the thing that makes simple green green "badass"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Frog Act posted:

And someone who genuinely puts forth the view that you don't develop critical thinking skills while solving hard problems with no clear path to solutions probably doesn't possess any of them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

And someone who genuinely puts forth the view that you don't develop critical thinking skills while solving hard problems a probably doesn't possess any of them.

shut up you stupid gently caress bitch retard

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
It's me, the guy who thinks scientists didn't learn how to critically think that's the true critical thinker.

Like just lol when someone genuinely expresses this viewpoint. Maybe you should have thought critically about what you were saying before stupid came out of your mouth.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah the vast majority of stem majors are really good at analysis and close reading in teh same way that humanities people are great at complex equations, i am dumb for thinknig otherwise

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Frog Act posted:

shut up you stupid gently caress bitch retard

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thats me irl right now

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

your computer is old

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

man, gently caress that guy for sacrificing money for something fun that he and many people are interested in!!!!!!! there is only one thing worthwhile in this world: the cold hard truth of the cash im gonna get when a marcellus shale company hires me thanks to my sweet sweet engineering degree, that i never enjoyed earning

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i use a CRT monitor b/c that sound it makes when it boots up is my fetish

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Frog Act posted:

yeah the vast majority of stem majors are really good at analysis and close reading in teh same way that humanities people are great at complex equations, i am dumb for thinknig otherwise

You are dumb for thinking complex equations are the hard part of stem. That's right up there with "math is just about memorization" for stupid things people who know nothing of the subjects they're talking about say.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

And someone who genuinely puts forth the view that you don't develop critical thinking skills while solving hard problems with no clear path to solutions probably doesn't possess any of them.

*punches numbers into a box*

~*~*computer whirrrs~*~*

*spits out answer*

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
wow cool you learned about o chem, knowing all about how electrons move around in radical halogenation. really cool and makes you better than every other person ever.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

i use a CRT monitor b/c that sound it makes when it boots up is my fetish

that's so hot

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cyber Dog posted:

man, gently caress that guy for sacrificing money for something fun that he and many people are interested in!!!!!!! there is only one thing worthwhile in this world: the cold hard truth of the cash im gonna get when a marcellus shale company hires me thanks to my sweet sweet engineering degree, that i never enjoyed earning

in all seriousness i don't understand the constant compulsion some people have to bash anything that isn't pure sciences or math, as if virtually academic fields didn't complement one another and are all important

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

You are dumb for thinking complex equations are the hard part of stem. That's right up there with "math is just about memorization" for stupid things people who know nothing of the subjects they're talking about say.

seems to me like theres a lot of things in STEM and pretending i could identify the "one" hard part in a single sentece would be dumb just like it would be dumb to generalize about all of the humanities

anyway, die you stupid fucker, seriously, i hope you pass away soon and your eyes are eaten by seagulls and your carcass is picked clean by timber wolves.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

get this: all college educations are good and if you're super smug about your undergrad in anything you are less than poo poo

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ocean Book posted:

wow cool you learned about o chem, knowing all about how electrons move around in radical halogenation. really cool and makes you better than every other person ever.
No one is saying that, I've repeatedly stated I see the value in lib arts and don't think engineers should poo poo on it. I'm just sick of people on the other side of the fence trying to insist that being a stem major means you're bad at everything that isn't punching numbers into a calculator, it's just as dumb as the engineers who think lib arts are worthless.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

heres a pic of ArbitraryC in his fortress of self-righteousness wher eonly he has the appropriately moderate opinion re: the value of various college degrees

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

No one is saying that, I've repeatedly stated I see the value in lib arts and don't think engineers should poo poo on it. I'm just sick of people on the other side of the fence trying to insist that being a stem major means you're bad at everything that isn't punching numbers into a calculator, it's just as dumb as the engineers who think lib arts are worthless.

every action has an equal and opposite reaction. i think some scientist said that once :smuggo:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

guy i know doing engineering wasted away because of lovely hours that meant he got like no sleep and was basically at work all the time

meanwhile hieroglyphics dude smokes weed all the time while chilling

unless it's like in that book a secret history where a bunch of rich nerds murder each other; which is still fun

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

i was talking to the op my friend

did you used to post in lf or am i remembering someone different?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Libarts < STEM

:smug:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ShaqDiesel posted:

Use your chemistry skills to turn him into a mummy.

I was going to say in any bad mummy horror movie the OP would be random victim #3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

i really liked o chem a lot

• Locked thread