Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Lena Dunham is the Bizarro World Ayn Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Her vagina is widescreen manos: hands of fate

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

amityville anus posted:

Fake or not that article was pretty much this thread but more informed and meaner. It's worth a read more than that fat, entitled bitch is worth.

Well my post was more of a joke along the lines "Hah this fake newspaper is actually reporting some truth" but

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Much to my dismay, The National Review is a very real and very right wing publication that was frequently found in my house growing up.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
is she really the best target for untalented beneficiaries of nepotism in the entertainment business tho?

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
i mean she is a good target, im not disputing that

i guess i dislike the taste of low hanging fruit

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I thought that Chet Haze would be a good male analog, but then I realized that no one thinks he is good or talented. No one.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

huskarl_marx posted:

is she really the best target for untalented beneficiaries of nepotism in the entertainment business tho?
I think her posturing about it is really bad, like she really strikes me as someone who buys her poo poo hook line and sinker and something about that just makes me irrationally angry.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I hope she "accidentally" leaks a video of her farting onto a chocolate cake one day. It won't make me respect her but it will be funny.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Chubbs posted:

Girls is the kind of show that you watch to laugh at the people it depicts, not with them. There are very few characters that elicit any kind of sympathy from the viewer.

It might be easy to assume that the show is all about how great Lena Dunham is, but it's really not. She presents herself in a very immature, naive and unflattering way.

Say what you will about her as a person/actor, but she's actually pretty good at writing flawed characters.

Are the characters unlikable because Lena is writing them to be unlikable (e.g. Seinfeld, Arrested Development) or are they unlikable because Lena completely lacks self awareness? Everything I've read about her makes me think it's the latter.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Whiskey Sours posted:

Are the characters unlikable because Lena is writing them to be unlikable (e.g. Seinfeld, Arrested Development) or are they unlikable because Lena completely lacks self awareness? Everything I've read about her makes me think it's the latter.

The Kanye paradox.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If thru were written to be unlikeable they would say the "n!gger" word a lot more because anything flies on cable TV

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

amityville anus posted:

I hope she "accidentally" leaks a video of her farting onto a chocolate cake one day. It won't make me respect her but it will be funny.

hah yeah me too !

:jackbud: :ninja: :jackbud:

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Whiskey Sours posted:

The tone isn't as overtly comedic as shows like Seinfeld, Arrested D, Always Sunny or Broad City. It kind of hovers between comedy and drama.

The characters aren't entirely unlikable, but you see them make dumb decisions and get themselves into bad situations because of their inexperience and sheltered upbringing. It's a kind of unlikable where it's hard to empathize with them or root for them when it comes to most of their problems, but it's still interesting to watch them evolve as characters. You do get to see some humility from them so it's not all "LOOK AT THESE DUMB PEOPLE WITH THEIR DUMB PROBLEMS" all the time. They are more than just one-dimensional caricatures or stereotypes.

The show started with the girls just graduating college so at first it was more of a story about unmotivated, entitled city kids resisting adulthood. It has thankfully progressed from that over the seasons and now is more about them really actually starting to become adults. It's generally well acted.

It's not my favorite show by any means but I do watch it with my missus and we laugh.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 26, 2015

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
shoshanna is the only character in girls that it is possible to feel sympathetic for

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
i think lena never got beyond middle school developmentally, at least in her story telling, and it's evident in her script writing

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's pretty shocking that someone with a major HBO show can be so absolutely stupid when it comes to making her views public.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3015789/Girls-star-Lena-Dunham-anti-Semitism-row-Dog-Jewish-Boyfriend-article.html

quote:

Girls' star Lena Dunham has been caught up in an anti-Semitism row after writing an article comparing her Jewish boyfriend and her dog.

The quiz in The New Yorker's March 30 edition included statements like 'he doesn’t tip', 'he never brings his wallet anywhere' and 'he has hair all over his body, like most males who share his background'.

The article asked: 'Do the following statements refer to (a) my dog or (b) my Jewish boyfriend?'

Also among the 35 statements were 'my grandma Dottie loves him and says he’s a “good, good boy"' and 'bald men trigger a primal fear in him'.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Lena Dunham confirmed nazi, possibly jew killer?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Let me guess. If anyone dares call her out she'll cry misogyny.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

pentyne posted:

It's pretty shocking that someone with a major HBO show can be so absolutely stupid when it comes to making her views public.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3015789/Girls-star-Lena-Dunham-anti-Semitism-row-Dog-Jewish-Boyfriend-article.html

i'm pretty sure everyone had her back and was encouraging her

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Lena Dunham confirmed nazi, possibly jew killer?

Well now that this is out she stands in a good limelight.

:godwin:

E:nvm her mom is a jew she's just self-hating for attention

stump collector
May 28, 2007
lets wait and see if seth rogen tweets in support of this joke and then we will know

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

stump collector
May 28, 2007

if her tattooed bicep could somehow be the same size of her head this wouldbe perfect

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Between this and an opinion piece urging the right to drop Phil Robertson on his inbred retard rear end The National Review isn't doing too bad.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Two of Lena Dunham's biggest New York media backers, Nora Ephron and David Carr, both died unexpectedly. Coinidence, you think?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Quasimango posted:

Two of Lena Dunham's biggest New York media backers, Nora Ephron and David Carr, both died unexpectedly. Coinidence, you think?

nah the Vice interview suggests otherwise

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm still not entirely sure who Lena Dunham is or why I'm supposed to care.

Same here. She seems to be some typical rich idiot who wants something that mommy and daddy can't buy (this 'voice of a generation' crap) and is running into the wall of her own incompetence. There's nothing about her 'success' that isn't bought or marketed in lieu of actual talent.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Hollis Brownsound posted:

That article was legit. I just hate having to agree with anything published in that magazine.

A testament to how loathsome Dunham is.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The pay tv channel in australia (yes channel; singular) is trying to compete with the australian version of netflix and another streaming company. they're using girls as the 'standout hbo comedy' to intice people to subscribe

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Whiskey Sours posted:

I like to think of Girls as deep cover Conservative propaganda because there's no way someone would be that non-self aware of how loving badly her characters reflect on the ideal of the creative class millenial generation she supposedly is the voice of.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Smelly pussy farts

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

amityville anus posted:

Smelly pussy farts

:yum:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec