Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Mad Archivist posted:

sometime in the far future, there will be conservation efforts dedicated to various diseases and people will speak wistfully of smallpox as they do the dodo, today

This is already happening in a way with Anti-Vax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Large mammals are irrelevant.

Save the fungi and insects!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

quote:

Lanier wasn't seriously injured, said Sebring Police Cmdr. Steve Carr, who actually said police didn't arrest the dog because the investigation was pending, the Tribune reported.

what

is there a dog jail? dog court? dog prison?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Arthropods or molluscs are probably going to be the next dominant animals on earth after humans so yeah OP it matters a lot.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

Bring back Trilobites.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets! In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
jellyfish

do we need 'em?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Ka0 posted:

it's somewhat of a deal if you contrast it to other modern "causes" such as legalizing weed or pro-life activism.

Honestly, I would let all whales, pandas, eskimos and a thousand other species to die if it meant that I could buy weed legally from a store.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i think we need them to live?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

*jumps out of jeep onto panda cub*
Heh... natural selection, bitch :cool:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Not caring about animal extinction is pretty similar to not caring about climate change. Both are natural process, both greatly amplified by human disturbance.

naem
May 29, 2011

I disagree with the op on this issue quite strongly thnks

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

katlington posted:

i think we need them to live?

You call this life?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Nefarious posted:

jellyfish

do we need 'em?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3eu6CPjFEE

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nefarious posted:

jellyfish

do we need 'em?

jellyfish are the one thing in the ocean you dont need to worry about dying out

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 21, 2015

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Happy Bear Suit posted:

prove me wrong GBS.

Well a lot of species that are staple foods, mainly those derived from the ocean, make a huge difference. Seafood makes up a large portion of global food consumption, and overfishing in the EU and Asia have already caused a lot of problems.

McDowell posted:

We should just go ahead and break the environment enough that humans are culled down to a more reasonable number. If our technological prowess survives the bottleneck the survivors would be in a pretty good scenario.

No need to break the environment. Stop producing oil, natural gas, and coal. Within a year, billions would be dead as we fell towards carrying capacity, and only nuclear, solar, and wind would stop the population from falling to around 2.5 billion, which was the global carrying capacity before all those sources of energy were around.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some of those whales and turtles live like 200+ years. Those things should be saving us.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

eradicate all palmetto bugs those things are fukken gross

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
can you...eat jellyfish? Is it like, nutritious?

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

Animals are thicker than retards, they run around naked they can kill each other without consequence,

they don't do jobs, they crap everywhere. They have no hospitals, or pain medication, they can't read or count (oh wait some crow can count to 4 woah it will be doing calculus next)

fetishing nature or animals is something retards with limited reasoning do.

I'm going to live naturally today *rips off clothes mugs old lady for her sandwich*

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Sidecrab posted:

fetishing nature or animals is something retards with limited reasoning do.
remember that documentary about some guy who tried to live with bears? and then the bears ate him and his gf? I laughed so hard at that I poo poo my pants.

nuke the whales, burn their blubber for fuel, cause global warming, melt the polar ice caps, cause the extinction of polar bears, and use their fur as a rug to gently caress on beside a fireplace.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hm, apparently In China, processed jellyfish are desalted by soaking in water overnight and eaten cooked or raw

feller
Jul 5, 2006

cute things should live and ugly things like op should die

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
one of those animals just may be your fursona

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
half the wildlife on the planet has been killed by humans since the 1970s. that is a real stat. anyone mention that yet? not reading thread bye

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Hm, apparently In China, processed jellyfish are desalted by soaking in water overnight and eaten cooked or raw

asians are really into weird textures more so than taste so this sounds right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Zzulu posted:

can you...eat jellyfish? Is it like, nutritious?

Yeah but they don't have much nutritional value.

• Locked thread