Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Problem description: Computer started to make constant noises like a USB port is being used. No new devices are being shown though. If I try to watch a stream the noise comes up even faster and the stream gets muted. Playing games the same happens eventually. It gets muted and the game starts to chug a bit, I can play the game fine othervise. The computers already 6 years old so I'm assuming some part of it has started to die.

Attempted fixes: Haven't really attempted anything yet because I have no idea what is even causing this.

Recent changes: Only recent change is I installed hexchat.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit.
System specs: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 2833 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), RAM is 8GB, graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 4850 x2, the computers custom built so I think thats all the relevant infromation.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Uninstall your graphics drivers, run Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the remnants, then remove your second card. Reinstall the last legacy drivers to support your card, but do it in advanced mode and don't install the audio drivers. If you have the same problem, try the other card. (Or do you actually have a single Radeon HD 4850 X2 card? In that case replace the card.)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice. Seems just reinstalling everything worked fine so far.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I would strongly recommend you replace the card anyway, even something relatively inexpensive would be a huge upgrade. You still have a relatively decent CPU, and the fact that Crossfire never really worked combined with insufficient VRAM mean your card(s) just aren't even minimally useful anymore. I tossed my Radeon 4850 when I couldn't play new games even on the lowest settings due to VRAM requirements. If you find a decent last-gen card someone's replacing (like a 7970 2GB) you can score a pretty sweet deal, and it wouldn't take much card to provide a much better experience.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I've already had a few games that had problems with the card. I've pretty much just been looking for an excuse to get rid of it.

• Locked thread