Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
I've wanted to post something to this effect for some time. Although I do like their trucks, I'm not a Chrysler apologist. I don't, however, like it when self-proclaimed car guys parrot the same misinformed, outdated bullshit you'd find a Consumer Reports magazine. It makes us other guys look ignorant. With that out of the way, here goes.

Dear Car Guys,

I am sick to poo poo about everyone giving Chrysler/Dodge/Ram so much grief for quality when they're no worse overall than other manufacturers. Do their products show signs of bean-counting in obvious places? Absolutely, but so do other makes. It embarrasses me that alleged car guys parrot the same garbage reflexively without regard to context or reality.

Did the torqueflite transmission with electronic solenoid controls suck? Sure did, especially if you fail at preventative maintenance. But you know what? GM's 4L30E sucked as bad, or worse, and don't get me started on Dexcool. And what about Ford's generation of garbage Powerstroke diesels? Don't forget the garbage 1st and 2nd gen AXOD transmissions in Tauruses held together by fairy farts and dreams. These same arguments apply to rust issues and perceived reliability.

So yeah, gently caress the blind, unthinking Chrysler haters who continue to spout the same thing repeatedly because it's the "cool thing" to do. If I wanted to hear misinformed, rehashed garbage, I'd go to Edmunds.com.

Sincerely,

Francis Baconator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:qq:

What are you reading that you think people poo poo on Mopar and not anything else? I don't think you'll find a brand around here that is immune to criticism.

But seriously Mopar is objectively poo poo-tier. Right on the same level as Volkswagen.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 21, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Volkswagen is worse. Chrysler has taken concrete steps to find their problems and fix them, at least PR-wise.

Under the FCA transition and particularly in the Ram product line they've put out products that stand up tons better than before and are no longer actively shameful to own. The Caravan is still a mess and they better turn that ship around in a better way than turning it into the Journey.

Chryco still has incredible stylists and I'm curious to see where they're going to go once the Fiat jitters continue to shake out. The Jeep Renegade has the potential to be a knockout clean sheet product like the Kia Soul or the original Subaru Outback if they can execute properly.

VW seems unwilling or unable to make the admission in North America that their cars are egregiously decontented and cynically put together (with the exception of the Golf product line which is good).

You can't put a Passat CC and a Chrysler 200 next to each other and tell me it's the Chrysler product that gave up.

In conclusion VW deserves worse sales than Subaru and Mazda (loving Mazda of all places!) in North America. They'll have their come to Jesus moment soon enough.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 21, 2015

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

MrChips posted:

:qq:

What are you reading that you think people poo poo on Mopar and not anything else? I don't think you'll find a brand around here that is immune to criticism.

But seriously Mopar is objectively poo poo-tier. Right on the same level as Volkswagen.
To be fair, I'm not just picking on just AI. I see plenty of examples of anti-Chrysler hivemind think on The Truth About Cars and Jalipnik, too. Dont get me wrong - I've had bad Chrysler products before, but I know how to separate that from my current positive experience with one of their trucks. In the past, I've owned multiple vehicles from the same manufacturer before and never lumped them together. I guess I have the same expectations of other car guys.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Any time people disagree with me, they're parroting ignorance and now I'm shaking my head in pained incredulity

Stop the parroting it's embarrassing

stop it

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
They're one of many lovely manufacturers that catches more poo poo because in the past they've been garbage. It doesn't help that like VW they've made some questionable design decisions. I mean really at the end of the day its just joking. Is every Chrysler made across history bad? No, but it pretty funny to poke fun at them anyways.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

The only good thing they make is the wrangler and they're doing their best to gently caress that up. Besides the wrangler, I can't think of anything Chrysler has produced in the last 20 years that would be considered the top of its class. For any vehicle they offer, another manufacturer has done it better imo.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I just did a timing belt on a Neon... Not a particularly difficult job but HOLY loving poo poo WHAT A POORLY DESIGNED CAR!!!!!!!!! I'm much happier working on VAG products...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Any company that makes something as irredeemably terrible as the:

• PT Cruiser
  • Sebring/Avenger
  • Jeep Commander
  • Jeep Compass
  • Jeep Liberty
  • Dodge Caliber
  • Dodge Nitro
  • Plymouth Prowler

Deserves to be shamed mercilessly. Even for the rest of their products, the best that can be said for them is, "well, at least they're not the worst in their class!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MrChips posted:

• PT Cruiser
  • Sebring/Avenger
  • Jeep Commander
  • Jeep Compass
  • Jeep Liberty
  • Dodge Caliber
  • Dodge Nitro
  • Plymouth Prowler

Deserves to be shamed mercilessly. Even for the rest of their products, the best that can be said for them is, "well, at least they're not the worst in their class!"

I'd forgotten about some of those. God they are awful.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
so when is Chrysler going to stop making garbage

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Volkswagen is worse. Chrysler has taken concrete steps to find their problems and fix them, at least PR-wise.

Under the FCA transition and particularly in the Ram product line they've put out products that stand up tons better than before and are no longer actively shameful to own. The Caravan is still a mess and they better turn that ship around in a better way than turning it into the Journey.

Chryco still has incredible stylists and I'm curious to see where they're going to go once the Fiat jitters continue to shake out. The Jeep Renegade has the potential to be a knockout clean sheet product like the Kia Soul or the original Subaru Outback if they can execute properly.

VW seems unwilling or unable to make the admission in North America that their cars are egregiously decontented and cynically put together (with the exception of the Golf product line which is good).

You can't put a Passat CC and a Chrysler 200 next to each other and tell me it's the Chrysler product that gave up.

In conclusion VW deserves worse sales than Subaru and Mazda (loving Mazda of all places!) in North America. They'll have their come to Jesus moment soon enough.

:colbert: A duel good sir, have at thee!I really don't care, the CC is awful

go3 posted:

so when is Chrysler going to stop making garbage

Francis Baconator posted:

I've wanted to post something to this effect for some time. Although I do like their trucks, I'm not a Chrysler apologist. I don't, however, like it when self-proclaimed car guys parrot the same misinformed, outdated bullshit you'd find a Consumer Reports magazine. It makes us other guys look ignorant. With that out of the way, here goes.

Dear Car Guys,

I am sick to poo poo about everyone giving Chrysler/Dodge/Ram so much grief for quality when they're no worse overall than other manufacturers. Do their products show signs of bean-counting in obvious places? Absolutely, but so do other makes. It embarrasses me that alleged car guys parrot the same garbage reflexively without regard to context or reality.

Did the torqueflite transmission with electronic solenoid controls suck? Sure did, especially if you fail at preventative maintenance. But you know what? GM's 4L30E sucked as bad, or worse, and don't get me started on Dexcool. And what about Ford's generation of garbage Powerstroke diesels? Don't forget the garbage 1st and 2nd gen AXOD transmissions in Tauruses held together by fairy farts and dreams. These same arguments apply to rust issues and perceived reliability.

So yeah, gently caress the blind, unthinking Chrysler haters who continue to spout the same thing repeatedly because it's the "cool thing" to do. If I wanted to hear misinformed, rehashed garbage, I'd go to Edmunds.com.

Sincerely,

Francis Baconator

I hate Chrysler because, despite my VW bias, they really are lovely and have spent more time marketing the same vehicle with a different body, and market vehicles that have obvious problems without working out even the most obvious bugs.

They cancel GOOD cars that were selling (XJ and other Jeep products) in favor of lovely designs (Patriot, Commander, etc.)

But thanks for signing your post!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 21, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be fair, they do build a good truck.

... not counting the 2.5 Dakota (but they made up for it by also offering a V8 in a minitruck).

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Drove a Town and Country rental van last October with 500 miles on it, and the AT was already screwing up its 1-2 and 3-4 shifts.

My mother had a Sebring convertible. For it to only have 75k miles it was a rolling piece of poo poo. The convertible top was nice, too bad it had problems with every single part of its electrical system and half of the emissions sensors.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

MrChips posted:

• PT Cruiser
  • Sebring/Avenger
  • Jeep Commander
  • Jeep Compass
  • Jeep Liberty
  • Dodge Caliber
  • Dodge Nitro
  • Plymouth Prowler

I'd argue that you can find a corresponding product in the lineup of any other manufacturer (and I will try to give evidence if necessary) for these vehicles; either in similarity or in equality of pandering to perceived market desires.

However, my point isn't that their lineup is 100% good or that all their vehicles are easy to work on. My point is that Chrysler often gets an exaggerated, knee-jerk negative reaction about their reliability or quality.

Francis Baconator fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 21, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'd argue that you can find a corresponding product in the lineup of any other manufacturer (and I will try to give evidence if necessary) for these vehicles; either in similarity or in equality of pandering to perceived market desires.

However, my point isn't that their lineup is 100% good or that all their vehicles are easy to work on. My point is that Chrysler often gets an exaggerated, knee-jerk negative reaction about their reliability or quality.

The same could be said about VW and others, but creating a thread just to decry people attacking your favorite brand. If you can't take a good natured ribbing about your favorite brand, why are you in AI? No offense, but VW constantly gets poo poo on, despite the fact that its my favorite brand, and yet I haven't made a thread fighting for the honor of my favorite manufacturer.

Seriously, AI is going to be filled with a bunch of Open Letters to so and so haters, its going to turn into stupid petty brand wars like 'Ford vs GM vs Dodge' on truck forums.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 21, 2015

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

The same could be said about VW and others, but creating a thread just to decry people attacking your favorite brand. If you can't take a good natured ribbing about your favorite brand, why are you in AI? No offense, but VW constantly gets poo poo on, despite the fact that its my favorite brand, and yet I haven't made a thread fighting for the honor of my favorite manufacturer.
I think you misunderstood my point. Chrysler isn't my favorite brand. If anything, this was a misguided attempt at dissecting the whole "Chrysler sucks lol" thing. Ford doesn't get poo poo about the garbage 6 speed DCTs in their Fusions et al, for example. If saying something contrary to "Miata is always the answer," then I guess I don't belong in AI.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I think you misunderstood my point. Chrysler isn't my favorite brand. If anything, this was a misguided attempt at dissecting the whole "Chrysler sucks lol" thing. Ford doesn't get poo poo about the garbage 6 speed DCTs in their Fusions et al, for example. If saying something contrary to "Miata is always the answer," then I guess I don't belong in AI.

Then why the open letter? Did someone rub you the wrong way? You think there is some misconception about Chrysler that you have to correct the whole forum on?

Thanks, we've learned our lesson, no one will rag on Chrysler ever again. Thanks for your efforts.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
We don't get many Chrysler products in England, but the PT Loser and the 1st gen Grand Voyager (Town and Country/whatever) made me hate them. They're awful in every way, with poo poo engines and i hate working on them. They should all be scrapped immediately.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Chrysler is so lovely they had to get rescued by FIAT :boom:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Then why the open letter? Did someone rub you the wrong way? You think there is some misconception about Chrysler that you have to correct the whole forum on?

Thanks, we've learned our lesson, no one will rag on Chrysler ever again. Thanks for your efforts.
Did I hit a nerve? I posted earlier that I'm not singling out AI. A lot of enthusiast sites have followers that single out Chrysler products. After bumping into what I thought was a number of ignorant statements on those sites and seeing a couple in the past week here on AI, I decided to write my little rant. To be honest, in my estimation, AI has the most genuine, independent-minded group of people who simply love cars. I was wrong to air my frustrations and dirty laundry here, but it was convenient at the time. The tone of that rant was excessively strong.

That said, I'm legitimately curious if the attitude toward one maker is more ingrained than due to reality. That's all. I apologize if I insulted anyone - that wasn't my intent.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

User Error posted:

Chrysler is so lovely they had to get rescued by FIAT :boom:

Like being saved from drowning by a lifeguard that can't swim.

I think Fiat are the only manufacturer that still sells cars in Europe that are genuinely poo poo products.

Somehow the 500 is the only decent car they make, probably because it's been launched as an "iconic" car and is really a joint-venture platform with Ford.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sigtrap posted:

Any time people disagree with me, they're parroting ignorance and now I'm shaking my head in pained incredulity

Stop the parroting it's embarrassing

stop it

Open letter to parrots: Stop parroting.

[edit] This is a stupid loving thread OP.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

leica posted:

This is a stupid loving thread OP.

Based on the success of this thread, i'm going to make one demanding that people stop criticizing VW-Audi Group. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

Based on the success of this thread, i'm going to make one demanding that people stop criticizing VW-Audi Group. :colbert:

I'll co sign, and then post the Wasserboxer as gigantic troll.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

leica posted:

[edit] This is a stupid loving thread OP.
In retrospect, probably.

Mooseykins posted:

CommieGIR posted:

I'll co sign, and then post the Wasserboxer as gigantic troll.
I'm eagerly awaiting the brand apologist thread. I'll be there with my Fiatsler armband on. :f5:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

I'm eagerly awaiting the brand apologist thread. I'll be there with my Fiatsler armband on. :f5:

To be fair, if you represent Fiat, when it looks like you're gonna lose you just switch sides.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ram trucks aren't too bad but I'd still get a Chevy over one, and I hate GM as much as Republicans hate poor people.

Does Fiasler have a single really good, competitive product for its segment these days? The Wrangler and the Charger are cool but they aren't really competing against against anything. Maybe the Grand Cherokee?

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

To be fair, if you represent Fiat, when it looks like you're gonna lose you just switch sides.
I, for one, welcome our new Italian overlords.

:hitler: (sorry, there's none for Mussolini or Marchionne)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Wheeee posted:

I hate GM as much as Republicans hate poor people.

Oh, wow. I didn't think GM was that bad.

Wheeee posted:

Does Fiasler have a single really good, competitive product for its segment these days? The Wrangler and the Charger are cool but they aren't really competing against against anything. Maybe the Grand Cherokee?

Is there a major competitor for the Charger Hellcat over there? Some stupid-fast 4-door?

I suppose, here, the 500 has a pretty decent market share in the super-mini segment, and has been a success.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I, for one, welcome our new Italian overlords.

:hitler: (sorry, there's none for Mussolini or Marchionne)

Most of the smilies don't have hair. They're ALL Mussolini.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If you're buying a Chrysler that isn't a Jeep, Ram or muscle car you're an idiot and deserve to drive your dumpster fire of a car

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

blk posted:

Most of the smilies don't have hair. They're ALL Mussolini.
Touché, sir.

VikingSkull posted:

If you're buying a Chrysler that isn't a Jeep, Ram or muscle car you're an idiot and deserve to drive your dumpster fire of a car
I'm going to unironically agree with you on this. The new 200 is pretty good, but not the total package or value that, say, the current Accord is. I want to say the Dart is okay, but I'm not convinced it's competitive.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol sorry youre butthurt that chrysler sucks doggy balls

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I'm not even entirely sold on Jeep, the Wrangler is a gimmick toy car that sucks at everything except crawling over rocks and the Grand Cherokee, while nice, hits Land Rover price territory if you want if you want a nice one.

I maybe exaggerated earlier however, if I were looking to buy an American truck it'd be because I wanted a luxury car in truck form and Ram really does have the nicest interior and that soft-riding suspension. GM may build the better engine but if durability and hard use were real concerns there's Toyota for that, Ram's got the plush leather that truck buyers really want.

I want to say the Dart is okay, but I'm not convinced it's competitive.

The Dart is a perfectly okay car in a world where objectively superior competitors don't exist, but we don't live in that world.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 21, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Anyone who really has that strong of feelings for a company regardless of their products is just not sane. I loving love BMW, and if you asked me to list the top cars I'd want to own, I'd probably not get to something not wearing a roundel in the mid teens, but I still am sane enough to not like or defend all the sound symposer electric water pump cheap plastic electric power steering pug ugly bricks that seem to be the new market lineup for BMW.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sinestro posted:

pug ugly bricks that seem to be the new market lineup for BMW.

Um no the problem with modern BMWs is that they aren't bricks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Wheeee posted:

Um no the problem with modern BMWs is that they aren't bricks.

both are cold and immobile

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

both are cold and immobile

Yes but one is pleasantly rectilinear, and the other got soft and melted a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Honestly I'm kinda torn on Chrysler because we had a Caravan in the family for over ten years that was rock solid, but then my wife had a Sebring when I met her that was the definition of hot garbage, probably the worst car I've ever experienced.

• Locked thread