Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-r...dium=socialflow

At least Dodge made a truck bad rear end enough for Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris gave dodge one of his gargantuan turds after his morning coffee and said "Make this with wheels or I'll roundhouse kick you into bankruptcy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cole posted:

An 8.4L engine in a modern car is one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

Which is precisely why it's awesome. :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cole posted:

An 8.4L engine in a modern car is one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

Oooh, now I get why they renamed that thread after you...:v:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

StandardVC10 posted:

Which is precisely why it's awesome. :v:
Wow, poo poo, it's someone else in AI who has a pulse besides me.

:911: > :parrot:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

They pulled the 3rd-gen Vipers out of the European endurance racing circuit after like one year though, which means that they're pussies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Francis Baconator posted:

Wow, poo poo, it's someone else in AI who has a pulse besides me.

:911: > :parrot:

"No replacement for displacement"

Literally the mating call of red neck NASCAR fans everywhere.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Putting an 8.4L pushrod V-10 truck engine in your flagship sports car is admirable for the sheer gumption of it. Likewise building a 200mph 700-horsepower version of your workaday family sedan and actually selling it to the public rather than just having a laugh at the auto show stand. Publicity stunt? For sure, but at least it's entertaining to watch.

NASCAR, however, does not interest me even a little.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

MY LUG NUTS TAKE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR MOTOR MAKES

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

Putting an 8.4L pushrod V-10 truck engine in your flagship sports car is admirable for the sheer gumption of it. Likewise building a 200mph 700-horsepower version of your workaday family sedan and actually selling it to the public rather than just having a laugh at the auto show stand. Publicity stunt? For sure, but at least it's entertaining to watch.

No, I won't deny that the idea of such a motor isn't appealing.

But the idea that people are still grappling to get a motor of that size in a car they can drive every day, that's what's pathetic and sad.

Tommychu posted:

MY LUG NUTS TAKE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR MOTOR MAKES

UNF, GIVE MY DICK ANOTHER TUG WITH THE IMPACT GUN, JERRY!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Dealer prep fees are justified because it's not cheap printing and laminating the complimentary bus schedules included with every new Chrysler.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

StandardVC10 posted:

Same, on both counts.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

reminder that Chrysler owned Lamborghini

And made lovely F1 engines!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Francis Baconator posted:

Nope. The Sebring was a turd. Every manufacturer has the occasional one or two. Some more than others. Yes, that even includes Chrysler. Here is a partial list of Chrysler vehicles I don't like, just off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Sebring/Plymouth Breeze, Intrepid, Stratus, 2nd Gen Neon, PT Cruiser, Prowler, Mirada, Aspen, Caliber, Journey, Shadow and Diplomat.

The Mirada and Diplomat are badass and I won't hear anything else. And C'mon, the SRT4 was a pretty decent parts bin special.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The SRT4 (Neon) was amazingly cheap as I recall.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

blugu64 posted:

It's important to get a rear defroster when buying a Chrysler so your hands don't get cold pushing it out of traffic.

Let me take this opportunity to say that the Viper still ran and moved with a completely destroyed rod bearing, but I ended up pushing a Lamborghini out of traffic because it had been washed :colbert:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

VikingSkull posted:

my cattes name is Smokey Eunuch that's pretty AI right

IT'S YUNICK YOU loving HEATHEN

or did you get your cat fixed and decide to make a horrible joke

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

Only 90% of Cryco's lineup is bad, but they're not a bad company because.... :v:

Anyways, from doing Valet and getting to drive most of the Chrysler lineup, I wasn't impressed by any of them. All of the pre-2012 cars have lovely, sheet plastic interiors that fall apart, terrible fit and finish, and most have pretty terrible feeling engines. Seriously though Chrysler has to be the worst at interiors more than anything, miles of plastic that feels like it'll snap if you put your fist down too hard. Though to give them credit, they have improved on that since 2013 or so.

Though I was kinda surprised by their minivans. The Town and Country actually seemed pretty nice for what it was. And I hate minivans.

The newest models do have way better interiors than before and are on par with anything within their prices ranges. That's not to say they won't develop rattles or whatever but the quality and design of at least the higher-end models are fairly impressive.

They new SRT Chargers/Challengers are pretty nice but I just didn't like the interior layout because it felt too oversized for a sports car but made a lot of sense as a highway cruiser. The handling was the same, terrific grip but hard to use because they're just big and the ride was good but still felt like a heavy car with a stiff suspension. The engine and transmission are A++ though. I'd have bought a Charger Hellcat if they were available at MSRP just out of principle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Seeing as I'm pretty sure Viking has a shrine devoted to Smokey somewhere within his house, yeah, that was probably The Joke.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

"No replacement for displacement"

My response to those fucknobs is usually turbo diesel. Then there mind explodes. Most nastards will have nothing to say after that. There are some pretty fast diesels out there today too, which helps the argument.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

My response to those fucknobs is usually turbo diesel. Then there mind explodes. Most nastards will have nothing to say after that. There are some pretty fast diesels out there today too, which helps the argument.

Exactly, that and the fact that there IS a replacement for displacement, because even the major modding groups like Hennessy are using turbos now because they ARE having difficulty getting power out of a NA big block now that can meet emissions standards too.

They spent almost 15 years arguing that turbos are for wimps and small displacement engines that can't make the same cut as a big displacement V8, and now here they are beating their chests and bragging about the power they make when they had to stoop so low as to use the same induction setup as the small displacement motors.

I am honestly more impressed when someone takes a small displacement inline 4, 5, or 6 and makes 500-800 HP than when someone takes the biggest chunk of metal they can fit in a car and makes 1500-1800 HP. No poo poo you should be able to make much more horsepower, but the fact remains that for the vast majority of American car manufacturing years, the stock V8 blocks had terrible power output and were being lapped by small displacement motors that could put more power out at stock.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 27, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Not in defense of the no replacement for displacement crowd, but this used to be true back when fuel injection and turbos were pretty awful.

Well, apart from the F1 crowd, BMW was churning out some really kick rear end 1000 HP from those 4 bangers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Not in defense of the no replacement for displacement crowd, but this used to be true back when fuel injection and turbos were pretty awful.

Well, apart from the F1 crowd, BMW was churning out some really kick rear end 1000 HP from those 4 bangers.

During those same years, we were subjected to large displacement V8s that could barely manage to put out 200+ horsepower stock. :shrug:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

During those same years, we were subjected to large displacement V8s that could barely manage to put out 200+ horsepower stock. :shrug:

I wish my 6.6 liter pontiac made 200 hp!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

I wish my 6.6 liter pontiac made 200 hp!

No replacement for displacement :911:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But V8 POWWWERRRR!

That's pretty much the argument I received when I told people I was buying a 2011 Mustang V6 instead of an older GT.

Hmm, yes, let's spend the same amount of money on an older car with worse fuel economy, just to gain 5 HP (according to what the engine produced when it was brand new, which it's not) and the knowledge that I have two additional cylinders.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

But V8 POWWWERRRR!

That's pretty much the argument I received when I told people I was buying a 2011 Mustang V6 instead of an older GT.

Hmm, yes, let's spend the same amount of money on an older car with worse fuel economy, just to gain 5 HP (according to what the engine produced when it was brand new, which it's not) and the knowledge that I have two additional cylinders.

And people are still managing to to some amazing mods and get power outputs out of the V6 that are commendable.

The whole American V8 prestige thing is just weird to me.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

We can all agree the late 70s and most of the 80s produced some god awful cars choked down so bad it wasn't even funny.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

We can all agree the late 70s and most of the 80s produced some god awful cars choked down so bad it wasn't even funny.

But the 1980s was the turning point for small engine design, between the advanced in fuel injector and forced induction, the 1980s basically shaped the next 20 years of auto development, and drastic power increases from even small displacement motors became a common thing.

The whole 'You need a V8 to get good power' standard changed, V8s were no longer king of the high power output.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Nope, it was the golden years of the rotary.
That's pretty much history now, as the i6 RWD is going to be in a year or two :(
Sure, there's better things around and coming up, but not cheap cool things...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 27, 2015

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
80s cars are underrated and outside of enthusiast circles unappreciated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Human Grand Prix posted:

80s cars are underrated and outside of enthusiast circles unappreciated.

Seriously, the 80s gave us:
- Improved fuel Economy
- Perfected EFI
- Small block Turbodiesels
- Turbocharging as a reliable source of forced induction
- Dedicated AWD from Subaru, Audi, and AMC
- Rotaries
- The push for all wheel disc braking
- ABS improvements
- Variable Valve Timing
- Computer Controlled Engine Management

There's more to the list, that's off the top of my head.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

my cattes name is Smokey Eunuch that's pretty AI right

is that an extra-long tail I see

or is your catte 7/8-sized

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CommieGIR posted:

- Variable Valve Timing

Not exactly the eighties but the BMW VANOS system was seriously impressive for its time in that holy poo poo crazy German engineering way.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CharlesM posted:

The SRT4 (Neon) was amazingly cheap as I recall.

I love this little tid bit about it: it has power windows in the front, but crank windows in the back for "weight savings"

And the fact that they take to redneck tuning like a pig takes to rolling in mud, that's pretty fun.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Das Volk posted:

You're a bit slow for someone with a taste for fast cars.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bajaha posted:

I love this little tid bit about it: it has power windows in the front, but crank windows in the back for "weight savings"

And the fact that they take to redneck tuning like a pig takes to rolling in mud, that's pretty fun.

All Neons are this way I think, I really hope they didn't pretend it was a race car feature :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Please, let's all come together, and advocate putting turbos on big loving engines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Please, let's all come together, and advocate putting turbos on big loving engines.

For the sake of humanity. Just think of it as saving the Earth!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

2spooky

• Locked thread