Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Did anyone else have to keep reminding themselves that Kyle Chandler was Linda Cardellini's brother and not father? Maybe if I hadn't seen Freaks and Geeks and Friday Night Lights 10+ times each...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Neither Kyle Chandler nor Linda Cardellini age. Chandler still loving looks like he did in Home Front except with a little more weight and Cardellini has some smoking/smile lines around her mouth but otherwise looks like she did in Freaks and Geeks. It's insane when you realize how long both of them have been acting and they still look that good.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Yeah. I pray I get my newspaper as early look as good as Kyle Chandler when I'm 50.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kaworu posted:

I had a really different interpretation of the ending than you guys. I did *not* really see it as a "Heh here's one big final twist guys just in case we get renewed!" because the show really doesn't need that, and there was more than enough for a second season if they wanted.

To me, it all had to do with where John's character was coming from since the very beginning of the show. He's the responsible son - he's the one with the wife and two kids he's trying to protect, he's the sort of person who is always taking on responsibility and keeping people dependent on him because that's the nature of his character. Much of his deep-seated resentment towards Danny is that he has always felt like Danny got to live this "cool" life of doing what he wants and loving different women and being a perpetual teenager, while John acts like the responsible adult. The scene somewhere in the middle of the show where they go out and John gets drunk and then Danny comes home and acts like a horrifying creep to his wife made this dichotomy pretty apparent. Danny was even rubbing John's face it.

I think ultimately this is how John rationalizes what he does and why he feels like it's even remotely acceptable - because Danny didn't have a wife or kids and was ultimately not protecting anything but on a self-destructive vengeance trip. "WHEN'S IT GONNA END?!" That's what that was all about, to me - the subtext to a lot of that was the difference between a man with a family to protect and a man with nothing to lose. So to me, having Danny's son show up in front of John is all about challenging those basic preconceptions he has always had about his brother's life, and what his brother's real motivations may or may not have been. Or something.

Danny's son was also very very very emo and effeminate. Thought that was an interesting touch. The actor played him with a very vulnerable/sensitive attitude rather than one that even vaguely resembled Danny's demeanor.

That's an interesting take. I think my problem is that while John's envy of his brother's freedom was one thing, any sense of that was overpowered by the threat Danny posed to his family, and the power Danny held over him. So while the son showing up kind of blows any justification that starts with "he had nothing to lose," that really wasn't the only point of his murder. So many feelings -- anger, fear, impotence, love, hatred, and yes, jealousy -- hit John after a barrage of extreme stress that Danny intentionally put him under for several days, and the dude flipped and killed Danny in response. There are a million ways he justifies it; Danny's surprise son showing up is just one crack in the story he tells himself so he can sleep at night.

Of course the point is that crack is only going to get bigger. But it's such a small drop in the bucket of reasons why Danny had to die that it feels less like a thematic bow on the season and more like a shameless cliffhanger on top of what's already a perfectly good cliffhanger with Sally being told her children were lying to her.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Just finished this last night - really enjoyed it throughout. Feel the slow burn worked well and by the end of the season was feeling uneasy whenever Danny was on screen not knowing what he was doing next. Really a great character and tremendous acting.

Felt like the story kind of unraveled like a enjoyable book with a sense of mystery but building/unveiling bits about all the characters as the main plot points came into focus. Think it would have been pretty perfect as a one season miniseries - especially with how well things had wrapped up at the end. If they really wanted to continue it into a series then they had kinda the perfect segue into that with Potts telling Sally the kids were lying. I really wish they had cut the last scene with the kid though - was just a kinda sour note to end on that didn't really fit in to a great season.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows
Netflix renewed Bloodline for a second season, aiming for a 2016 premiere.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

I'm not sure how the second season will play out if Mendolsohn isn't around for much of it (flashbacks). He's extremely captivating, moreso than the other 3 Rayburns. Not sure I'd like a season long focus on covering up what happened to Danny.

Was good fun, and ended up binge watching the last 6 eps. Slow but worth my time.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
This show is good. The first half of the season was a slow burn, but it all pays off.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Gonna agree with most everyone here. Real slow, but well worth it. Its a show suited to TV marathons. Without Danny I'm not sure the show can live up to the first season, though. I'm tempted to just ignore the final scene (or perhaps final two scenes) and consider it a fantastic one season stand alone series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I burned through this show and it is really great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have low expectations for season 2 but I found this season pretty compelling.

One thing I was surprised that nobody mentioned is the gorgeous cinematography. This show captures the Keys the way True Detective captured Louisiana.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have low expectations for season 2 but I found this season pretty compelling.

Danny/Ben Mendelshon basically was the show for me. I like Kyle Chandler and the rest of the cast too but Danny was the reason I kept watching, I just don't know how the show can replace him with anything half as compelling.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

savinhill posted:

Danny/Ben Mendelshon basically was the show for me. I like Kyle Chandler and the rest of the cast too but Danny was the reason I kept watching, I just don't know how the show can replace him with anything half as compelling.

Well, the good thing about Netflix is we'll know the answer the weekend it drops. No handwringing over whether they're building up to something and they just need time, or if it's actually pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I just finished this and I have to admit I'm looking forward to seeing the hosed up situation they're going to put Danny's kid in, especially if his name is John as they've foreshadowed. That's going to make for some extremely tense and awkwardness with Big John. I'm also going to echo Mendelsohn's performance because holy poo poo did he balance being sympathetic and being a nearly irredeemable rear end in a top hat well.

• Locked thread