Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calax
Oct 5, 2011

RickVoid posted:

I've read that Nobunaga didn't really have any ambition until they threatened to take away what power he had for being a kind of useless, do nothing Lord. I've also read that he was actually kind of outspoken about how awful their fudal system was for peasants, although that could just be politics, trying to get the peasants on his side. Also not yet mentioned, probably homosexual, which is why his wife hated him. Misuhide's betrayal, iirc, was because he was a jilted ex-lover.
Nobunaga was heavily in favor of modernization and westernization of the Feudal culture. That's one of the reasons he loved the Jesuits and Portuguese who showed up. I heard a tv historian say that when it came down to it, Nobunaga was probably one of the most innovative generals in the world at the time because of his ability to adapt and find ways around the limitations of the equipment of the time (specifically at Nagashino where he used rank firing from behind barricades to beat cavalry charges)

As to Mitsuhide? I haven't ever seen reference to him being a Jilted lover. The main explanations I've seen for his betrayal at Honno-ji was that he blamed Nobunaga for his om being killed during a power struggle and/or he was upset at being passed over in favor of Hideyoshi for various commands.

There's also the Onimusha excuse where Nobunaga was literally a demon and Mitsuhide killed him to prevent a demonic takeover of the nation (and Jean Reno was there for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ShichiNoBushi posted:

If the manga and anime series Nobunagun is to believed, he thought if one line of guns wasn't good enough, use TWO. If that's not enough, USE THREE!! Though given the front loaded rifles of that time, those things took a while to reload, so having a couple of backup firing lines while your guys are still packing in wad and powder isn't that bad of an idea. Or just having a whole bunch of spare pistols to throw away like we saw Saica do in the first video or Blackbeard.

That is in fact basically exactly what happened; as far as anyone can tell the Japanese independently invented the cyclical firing technique where the first rank would fire, then kneel and reload and the second rank would fire and kneel and reload and the third rank would fire and then reload and the first rank would stand up again having reloaded and would then fire, allowing a continuous volley of fire.

The British (I think?) also came up this tactic at about the same time and a lot of historians would pop giant boners if anyone could connect the two, but it appears to be a case of two people individually inventing the same thing.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Gun chat yiss.

When it comes to breechloading firearms, that really is the two choices you have available if you want to have more than one volley of fire: a two or three deep firing line that alternates reloading and shooting, or you have guys armed with a bunch of smaller guns that they shoot once and either holster or discard (as you pointed out, the classic pirate/privateer with a brace of pistols. Alternately, Anime Chat; see Mami from Madoka Magicka and her bevy of one-shot magic rifles.).

I've read that Nobunaga didn't really have any ambition until they threatened to take away what power he had for being a kind of useless, do nothing Lord. I've also read that he was actually kind of outspoken about how awful their fudal system was for peasants, although that could just be politics, trying to get the peasants on his side. Also not yet mentioned, probably homosexual, which is why his wife hated him. Misuhide's betrayal, iirc, was because he was a jilted ex-lover.

it probably wasn't just politics. His fellow noblemen HATED him for promoting commoners who were competent over Nobles and then listening to the newly promoted competent peasants over the nobles in his court. The man also got rid of that law that let Samurai and the Nobility kill peasants who offended them with no consequences.

His attitudes probably developed during his childhood, when he was pretty much hanging out with whoever he got along with without giving a poo poo about their rank. His mentor killing himself to try and shame Nobunaga into behaving properly didn't help matters.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah while no-one disputes how important Nobunaga was in the Unification of Japan even today he's seen as somewhat evil because he ran around overturning old ways and constantly battered at the social status quo, all things that make even modern day Japanese people feel a little uncomfortable thinking about.

It's also worth remembering that one of Nobunaga's major driving forces was that he was sick and tired of other people telling him what to do; a lot of historians think that the reason he originally decided to conquer Japan was so that when he was finished there wouldn't be anyone who could tell him what to do and he could tell everyone to piss off and leave him alone.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Neruz posted:

Yeah while no-one disputes how important Nobunaga was in the Unification of Japan even today he's seen as somewhat evil because he ran around overturning old ways and constantly battered at the social status quo, all things that make even modern day Japanese people feel a little uncomfortable thinking about.

It's also worth remembering that one of Nobunaga's major driving forces was that he was sick and tired of other people telling him what to do; a lot of historians think that the reason he originally decided to conquer Japan was so that when he was finished there wouldn't be anyone who could tell him what to do and he could tell everyone to piss off and leave him alone.

There was also the whole murdering a fuckton of monks thing. That also probably contributed to people viewing him as evil (Even if the monks were actively attacking him)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

warhammer651 posted:

There was also the whole murdering a fuckton of monks thing. That also probably contributed to people viewing him as evil (Even if the monks were actively attacking him)

Yeah that's another one of the traditions that he overturned; the reason people don't like the Siege of Mt. Hiei isn't because he massacred a bunch of people but because he massacred a bunch of monks. Tradition held that you did not attack monasteries, Nobunaga said 'gently caress tradition, those guys have been pissing me off for years now lets burn them to the ground.'

As should be apparent by now, the Japanese are not big supporters of the whole 'gently caress tradition' part.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

Neruz posted:

That is in fact basically exactly what happened; as far as anyone can tell the Japanese independently invented the cyclical firing technique where the first rank would fire, then kneel and reload and the second rank would fire and kneel and reload and the third rank would fire and then reload and the first rank would stand up again having reloaded and would then fire, allowing a continuous volley of fire.

The British (I think?) also came up this tactic at about the same time and a lot of historians would pop giant boners if anyone could connect the two, but it appears to be a case of two people individually inventing the same thing.

That would be an example of a social equivalent of "convergent evolution". Pretty much where two instances with no direct influence from each other arrive at a similar result. Common examples in biology are the American flying squirrel (rodent) and Australian sugar glider (marsupial). Both those are very distantly related mainly by the fact they are mammals, but both have a very similar body shape and function. Also, apparently koalas have fingerprints just like humans. Given the same resources and desired result, it would be common for two cultures to invent the same technique/design with neither taking inspiration from the other.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ShichiNoBushi posted:

That would be an example of a social equivalent of "convergent evolution". Pretty much where two instances with no direct influence from each other arrive at a similar result. Common examples in biology are the American flying squirrel (rodent) and Australian sugar glider (marsupial). Both those are very distantly related mainly by the fact they are mammals, but both have a very similar body shape and function. Also, apparently koalas have fingerprints just like humans. Given the same resources and desired result, it would be common for two cultures to invent the same technique/design with neither taking inspiration from the other.

Yeah it's called Multiple Discovery and there have been a few confirmed instances of it occurring; calculus was invented at least twice by Isaac Newton and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, oxygen was discovered at least three separate times and the theory of evolution was independently thought up by Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace. There's also convincing evidence that the blast furnace was invented in China, Europe and Africa and crossbows in the same +Canada. The wiki page mentions a couple more as well, additionally it's thought that this kind of 'different people all come up with the same idea' is actually the norm for inventions, or at least was until we built a global information network.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
New episode! This is the first of the next batch of commentary recordings. I'm considering after this doing live commentary instead of post since my hardware set up is able to allow it.

Episode 4: Ieyasu Red 4

Ieyasu sieges Odawara Castle and faces Ujimasa Hojo and his hired ninja Kotaro Fuuma.

ShichiNoBushi fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 30, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think you accidentally let Youtube do whatever it is they try to do to reverse shaky camera effects or whatever it is they try to do.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

I think you accidentally let Youtube do whatever it is they try to do to reverse shaky camera effects or whatever it is they try to do.

Yeah, I noticed it offered to edit it for me but didn't expect it would ruin the video or anything. If it turned out bad, is there a way to reverse it or just revert to as it was uploaded?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ShichiNoBushi posted:

Yeah, I noticed it offered to edit it for me but didn't expect it would ruin the video or anything. If it turned out bad, is there a way to reverse it or just revert to as it was uploaded?

Can't help you there, sorry, I don't know how it works.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Can't help you there, sorry, I don't know how it works.

Thankfully, I noticed a "Revert to Original" button, and after checking, it should be fine now. I"m still new to video editing and uploading, so I appreciate any friendly comments that point out mistakes like that. I simply saw an alert suggesting a "fix" and naïvely decided to go along with it without looking far enough into the resulting video to notice it wasn't a good idea. In hindsight, I shouldn't be as trustful of a machine to tell me what I need to do.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ShichiNoBushi posted:

Thankfully, I noticed a "Revert to Original" button, and after checking, it should be fine now. I"m still new to video editing and uploading, so I appreciate any friendly comments that point out mistakes like that. I simply saw an alert suggesting a "fix" and naïvely decided to go along with it without looking far enough into the resulting video to notice it wasn't a good idea. In hindsight, I shouldn't be as trustful of a machine to tell me what I need to do.

Awesome, looks good now!

And I hope that last remark won't be heard by Friend Computer.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Awesome, looks good now!

And I hope that last remark won't be heard by Friend Computer.

You don't trust Friend Computer?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

ShichiNoBushi posted:

Ieyasu sieges Odawara Castle and faces Ujimasa Hojo and his hired ninja Kotaro Fuuma.

Ah, yes, Clan Hojo, land of the Triforce! (It's actually symbolic of dragon's scales, or something.)

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

RickVoid posted:

You don't trust Friend Computer?

I'll never get to Green rank, now. But that's likely the least of my worries.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Episode 5: Ieyasu Red 5

Ieyasu faces one of many no-name enemies, Hirotsuna Utsunomiya. It's Tiger Time!!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ShichiNoBushi posted:

Episode 5: Ieyasu Red 5

Ieyasu faces one of many no-name enemies, Hirotsuna Utsunomiya. It's Tiger Time!!

Do you get to punch a bear at some point?

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

I don't specifically recall since it's been a while since I last played this game. Though I wouldn't be surprised given what else is in it.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Episode 6: Ieyasu Red 6

Ieyasu gets an offer from Yoshiaki Mogami "The Weasel" who wants to join but has some conditions. Perhaps he has caught on to Ieyasu's recruitment tactics.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ShichiNoBushi posted:

Episode 6: Ieyasu Red 6

Ieyasu gets an offer from Yoshiaki Mogami "The Weasel" who wants to join but has some conditions. Perhaps he has caught on to Ieyasu's recruitment tactics.

Do you ever play as Yoshiaki? Seems like a dodgy fellow.

YolkaEd
Dec 26, 2013

Mehuyael posted:

Do you ever play as Yoshiaki? Seems like a dodgy fellow.

Not in this game, no. He does get upgraded to PC-status by the expansion, which sadly wasn't released in the West. Shame, too; Yoshiaki seemed fun, if tricky to play as.

Drakochan
Apr 2, 2015

Mehuyael posted:

Bears, no, but Tigers, yes.

I live for these games, I'm so excited to see an LP of one of them here.

e: Also, this game is basically Exalted but Samurai, yes. I have to agree with early commentary on the videos.

ee: Sadly I know way too many random facts about this game, the characters, and the history, so I will probably chime in after videos with notes once I get caught up here if you guys are okay with it!

Drakochan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 2, 2015

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Calax posted:

Nobunaga was heavily in favor of modernization and westernization of the Feudal culture. That's one of the reasons he loved the Jesuits and Portuguese who showed up. I heard a tv historian say that when it came down to it, Nobunaga was probably one of the most innovative generals in the world at the time because of his ability to adapt and find ways around the limitations of the equipment of the time (specifically at Nagashino where he used rank firing from behind barricades to beat cavalry charges)

As to Mitsuhide? I haven't ever seen reference to him being a Jilted lover. The main explanations I've seen for his betrayal at Honno-ji was that he blamed Nobunaga for his om being killed during a power struggle and/or he was upset at being passed over in favor of Hideyoshi for various commands.

There's also the Onimusha excuse where Nobunaga was literally a demon and Mitsuhide killed him to prevent a demonic takeover of the nation (and Jean Reno was there for some reason)

Yeah Nobunaga is one of those historical people that in Japanese pop culture like anime and manga and video games where he's both sort of a good buy and sort of a bad guy, and the position trades off depending what they need him for.

Like you got him in Sengoku Basara where he is squarely literally Satan walking the earth basically.
And then you got weird poo poo like that one Mecha Anime where Fuedal Japan fought the entirety of european historical figures between two planets and he was this really brazen hyper 20 something guy. I try not to remember a lot about it because it was KINDA BAD- not as bad as it could have been but pretty bad. Like it's only saving grace was having robots and a theme song by JAM Project.

Although one standing thing about Nobunaga being looked poorly upon is Japan still treats homosexuality the way that...it treats it. Either by ignoring it or making a huge joke out of it, or subverting it. So you get poo poo like that one page in Drifters where they were talking about Ranmaru and he just had this "oh my god shut up" face- and then later in Drifters he's having an argument with like Alistair Crowley who's a drag queen for some reason and Nobunaga thinks that's gross. And then that Mecha anime I just mentioned where Jeanne D'arc was Ranmaru or something...did I mention that series was dumb and bad?

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Episode 7: Ieyasu Red 7

We finally face against everyone's favorite Engrish loving samurai, Masamune Date. But he needs us to participate in a different sort of challenge before we fight him properly.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Episode 8: Ieyasu Red 8

We finally reach the end of Ieyasu's red route and face against Mitsunari at Sekigahara. Will Ieyasu beat Mitsunari and unify Japan? Find out next time in "Ieyasu beats Mitsunari and unifies Japan".

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

So what path are you guys gonna do next?
I mean I guess you could just go to Mitsunari but hey why not just go around the other way?
Also are you planning to do ALL the characters main routes? Seems like that might take a while.

Also maybe I missed it but is there a particular reason you aren't saving?

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
Just so we're clear, are we on a no-spoilers policy here?

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

TCat posted:

So what path are you guys gonna do next?
I mean I guess you could just go to Mitsunari but hey why not just go around the other way?
Also are you planning to do ALL the characters main routes? Seems like that might take a while.

Also maybe I missed it but is there a particular reason you aren't saving?

As I believe I mentioned before and sort of implied at the end of last episode, I plan on doing Mitsunari next and then other characters' Red paths. After that, I intend on Blue and so on, but I also anticipated that would likely take a while. I tried starting a live commentary recording session with my friend, Anthony, but video lag as well as other issues with Twitch to stream caused us to end the session early. Also, I'm not immediately saving after each level in case the recording messed up so I may redo the level, and if everything looks fine, I save manually afterward. This game only allows a single save file for all your progress, characters' levels and equipment, unlockables, and other features. I'm mainly trying to keep it authentic rather than mysteriously gaining a bunch of levels starting a route over because something messed up.

Jefepato posted:

Just so we're clear, are we on a no-spoilers policy here?

I think I'll keep the spoilers policy pretty loose. Anthony and I have already spoiled that certain characters will be playable, but there's at least one special one I don't want to reveal too soon. Story and other special levels are some things I want to surprise with as well because of how weird the game actually gets.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I find it amusing that these games always treat Sekigahara as the end point for everything when in reality things ended in two Osaka campaigns, where Yukimura Sanada actually earned his reputation.

Basically after the Battle of Sekigahara, Ieyasu allowed Hideyoshi's kid to retain his position of power but effectively was just building his strength. Eventually something happened (I don't remember what off the top of my head) and Ieyasu made a move on Osaka to arrest and have Hidemori killed. The winter campaign was a whole lot of nothin, with Ieyasu only withdrawing on an agreement to fill in the outer moat of the castle... and filling in both moats without permission. Part of the reason that the Winter campaign was so worthless to Ieyasu was that Sanada had built a earthwork defense that was drat near impregnable.

The summer campaign was intense. and ultimately ended in (supposedly) a one man charge by Sanada towards Ieyasu. And Sanada finally just being to tired to lift his sword and letting random guys cut off his head.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Very little of these games really matches what happened in history; the history is mostly just there for dressing.

I mean Honda is a cyborg with built-in rockets for chrissake.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Very little of these games really matches what happened in history; the history is mostly just there for dressing.

I mean Honda is a cyborg with built-in rockets for chrissake.

I'm not just talking about Basara. I'm talking about any game set in the era. Everything ends at Sekigahara, Even though there was still Osaka campaigns to continue.

Hell, technically Yukimura (aka Nobushige) missed Sekigahara because he was busy clobbering Tadakatsu's kid at Ueda castle

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Interestingly, I'm pretty sure Samurai Warriors 1 had at least Yukimura Sanada's storyline go through all the way to Osaka Castle and the Sanada-Maru; failing that maybe it was the Create a Character if they worked under Sanada. I think SW2XL also went there...

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure Samurai Warriors 1 had at least Yukimura Sanada's storyline go through all the way to Osaka Castle and the Sanada-Maru; failing that maybe it was the Create a Character if they worked under Sanada. I think SW2XL also went there...

Both one and two went there. But only with Tokugawa characters and Yukimura (and Kunoichi)... and Mushashi Miyamoto for some reason.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Episode 9: Mitsunari Red 1

We now begin playing as Mitsunari Ishida, and instead of following his advisor's suggestion, he decides to fight Oichi.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

Woah the video quality on this episode is really a mess. Like even when I switch it to 720 it's crap.
What happened??

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Countless sword slashes don't have the 'oomph' of sun punches. :(

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

TCat posted:

Woah the video quality on this episode is really a mess. Like even when I switch it to 720 it's crap.
What happened??

I just checked, and I don't know. Oichi's level is already pretty dark, and that might have messed with YouTube's video compression or could be how iMovie exported it. I'm trying to see if I could fix it.

Mehuyael posted:

Countless sword slashes don't have the 'oomph' of sun punches. :(

Yeah. At least compared to how Ieyasu ended his campaign, Mitsunari isn't as impressive. Though I expect it to improve dramatically in a few levels. He only has is basic attacks and neutral and forward specials, but given how his forward B works, he can get pretty devastating once he unlocks all is specials and even starts getting his super arts. As I mentioned in the video, Mitsunari's forward special, Lamentation, is normally a Flash forward with a strong horizontal slash. But you can also during the Flash input another attack, and he'll perform that at the end instead. In this first mission, all he has is just basic attacks or his launcher, Condemnation, to use, but his third and fourth specials and especially his supers will make this art pretty powerful notably that it can even remove the start-up on some of them. Mitsunari's Flash mechanic particularly makes him good at closing distances quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Episode 10: Mitsunari Red 2

Mitsunari now tries to acquire the services of the Saica Faction, but we have to see if he can get there before Ieyasu and his stupid Gundam.

• Locked thread