Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Devil Wears Wings posted:

america has a food culture, it's just relatively new and extremely regionalized and there's huge swaths of the country (i.e. the entire midwest) that have none worth mentioning

applebees is basically a sit-down mcdonald's as far as their cuisine goes, you can't judge an entire giant country based upon its worst cultural products

you forgot kansas city bbq and all the various ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants. beyond that, yeah.... there's no real food culture in the midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
corn

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

kansas city anything is total bullshit midwestern blandness. burn that poo poo city to the ground

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

hemophilia posted:

kansas city anything is total bullshit midwestern blandness. burn that poo poo city to the ground

:allears:

tell me why you're mad about kc?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

oh wait hold on. i meant st. louis. sorry. i guess it's all the same anyway. that whole state should be burned down.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Tumble posted:

Why wouldn't you hate it? Its crap food heated in a microwave that's only seen poo poo.

You can hate all this "hipster" food all you want, but its pretty dope being able to go to a cool local place that does its best to get it's ingredients from farms and businesses nearby.

If you can't hobble into a cool spot hungover and say "I'm hungover" to the waitress without her batting an eye and suggesting a light chickpea falafel with some fermented beet juice on the side for some Hair Of The Dog, you have failed at life because you live in a poo poo area.

Lmao

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
because KC is poo poo, just like you you loving hick, go cook some chicken on a burning tire

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

JakeP posted:

because KC is poo poo, just like you you loving hick, go cook some chicken on a burning tire

you're confusing kc w/ west virginia bro

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

5-HT posted:

you're confusing kc w/ west virginia bro

can you blame me

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hemophilia posted:

oh wait hold on. i meant st. louis. sorry. i guess it's all the same anyway. that whole state should be burned down.

Its all Missouri. No worries

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Most Applebee's food is cooked somewhere else and just reheated at the restaurant. And no, Chili's, Friday's, etc, aren't any better. It's SysCo food all the way down.

Which is why goons hate it. Also because Goons hate anything Middle America likes, and Middle America loves consistent food in huge portions and a "fun" atmosphere. "If I'm going to spend 8 whole dollars! on a meal I'd better know what I'm getting!"

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 22, 2015

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

JakeP posted:

can you blame me

it shows you haven't even been in the state. you want that west virginia feel? go to the ozarks, or anything in southern missouri.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

5-HT posted:

you forgot kansas city bbq and all the various ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants. beyond that, yeah.... there's no real food culture in the midwest.

Calling KC part of the Midwest is really stretching the definition of the word....if the natives talk with a southern accent, it's not the midwest

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry I only visit coastal states

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JakeP posted:

Sorry I only visit coastal states

good man

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Calling KC part of the Midwest is really stretching the definition of the word....if the natives talk with a southern accent, it's not the midwest

yeah and for all the faults the south has, it at least has an awesome vibrant food culture

now if you're talking like north dakota or something then yep. nothing but applebees and snow.

AutoSnakes
Apr 29, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

Why eat a applebee appetizer when you could eat a chinese guys duck. lol

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

5-HT posted:

Just lol if you think bbq counts as a regional cuisine or whatever. Nothing about flyover country is salvageable. Maybe they're good at making meth, I guess

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Aralan posted:

Just lol if you think bbq counts as a regional cuisine or whatever. Nothing about flyover country is salvageable. Maybe they're good at making meth, I guess

if bbq isn't a regional cuisine then what is a regional cuisine?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Tumble posted:

chickpea falafel

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The new hipster food craze: actually making food with what its supposed to be made with.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

every state in america bbqs fyi

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

everyone one in the world puts meat on a grill. BBQ is the only not regional cuisine

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

JakeP posted:

well yeah but there's def distinct regions of bbq

like texas has brisket, st louis has its disgusting sweet sauces, socal has tri-tip, etc

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

JakeP posted:

Seriously, right?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

well yeah but there's def distinct regions of bbq

like texas has brisket, st louis has its disgusting sweet sauces, socal has tri-tip, etc

Brisket is a texas thing? what? i have one every passover

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

JakeP posted:

Brisket is a texas thing? what? i have one every passover
Its just attributed out of convenience to Texas, the Jewish capital of the world.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

a hole-y ghost posted:

Its just attributed out of convenience to Texas, the Jewish capital of the world.

like new york for its buritos

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

thats why they call NYC the Big Burrito

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
See, I hate Applebee's for it's cultural appropriation of traditional Kansas City barbeque

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
For the record Buffalo Wild Wings also counts as a lovely chain.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
appelbees is literaly the nickleback of food

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Chinatown posted:

also cheesecake factory even tho their cheesecake is p. good albeit like 1000 calories a slice

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chinatown posted:

Their wings suck nuts and their beer selection is horrible. I'd rather go to Applebee's.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
buffalo wild wings is straight up garbage tier, wingstop is pretty decent as far as the national "prepare your anus" wing joints go, and i can't think of any other places that focus primarily on wings other than those two so wingstop wins

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

KC is part of the midwest sorry but I'm an expert in these things also KC is an awesome town just don't get shot

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Harald posted:

I only go there for the anonymous gay sex, op

I'm suddenly more interested

I've long heard rumors about gay sex being easy to acquire at Applebee's, so they're true? Is Applebee's a Gay Fucker wonderland?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Chinatown posted:

i like buffalo wild wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Concerned Citizen posted:

i like buffalo wild wings

Me too

• Locked thread