Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best Gorillaz album?
Gorillaz (2001)
Demon Days
Plastic Beach
The Fall
View Results

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
With the next phase of Gorillaz coming up sometime this year or the next, let's debate and rant about which is the best Gorillaz album!

But first, answering some questions before they're asked...

1. Where's G-Sides and D-Sides?

This thread is only debating the main albums from the band, so any B-side albums do not count. Granted there are some pretty good b-side songs, they still don't count.

2. Where the hell's Laika Come Home? This thread is flawed!

No, Laika Come Home is just a dub remix album of the band's debut album and that's it, although the members of Spacemonkeyz do collaborate with Gorillaz, this does not count as one of their main albums.

3. What about the singles like DoYaThing?

Did I mention the singles? No, I didn't. Some of the band's standalone singles may sound cool, but if they're not featured in an album, then they're not in the poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
If I could vote for two, it would be Gorrilaz (2001) and Demon Days for sure. Alas, Demon Days has my all-time favorite "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head". I dunno why, but the spoken-word style just really seems cool to me.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Honestly, I couldn't decide between Demon Days and Plastic Beach they both sound so amazing, the debut album was okay though, but it sounded more like the foundations of the band before they really started taking off. I might reconsider allowing a second vote, but I need to check to see if I can do that first. EDIT: Okay, I guess I can't seeing as I'm not a mod, but maybe when the next album comes around, I might do a second part with that album included.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Junior Jr. posted:

Honestly, I couldn't decide between Demon Days and Plastic Beach they both sound so amazing, the debut album was okay though, but it sounded more like the foundations of the band before they really started taking off. I might reconsider allowing a second vote, but I need to check to see if I can do that first. EDIT: Okay, I guess I can't seeing as I'm not a mod, but maybe when the next album comes around, I might do a second part with that album included.

I love Demon Days and Plastic Beach both so much. But what tipped me towards DD was thinking how amazing the Demon Days live concert was. They just nailed everything. I think it's rare for an album (full and in sequence) to work as well live as it does recorded.

I barely listen to the self-titled anymore. I was into it back in 2001, but these days I couldn't care less about its existence. To me, the actual Gorillaz is everything DD onwards.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Gorillaz had Clint Eastwood so therefore it's the best :colbert:

Yagyumi
Aug 26, 2013

Right! It's bonkin' time! I loves a bit of bonkin'!
People! People! Whichever you choose, can we all agree that The Fall - though somewhat ambitious when you look back at how it was put together - probably shouldn't have happened?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Yagyumi posted:

People! People! Whichever you choose, can we all agree that The Fall - though somewhat ambitious when you look back at how it was put together - probably shouldn't have happened?

Yeah, since when did people ever found the iPad useful?

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
I really liked Plastic Beach, way more than anyone else I talked to who all seemed to be hung up on Demon Days. But DD is better tho.

Didn't know bout the new record, thats dope.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For me it's Plastic Beach because not everything on there is brilliant but the the good stuff on there is tranfuckingscendant. I joked about it before in the new Blur album thread, and I'll say it again here: Damon Albarn is a goddamned warlock.

Fun fact about the song DARE: Chris Evans stated at the 2006 Brit Awards that the song was originally to have been called "It's There", but was changed due to Shaun Ryder's strong Mancunian accent making it sound like he was saying 'It's dare.'

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 22, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Dream collaborators for Phase 4?

I'd have to say Little Dragon (again) and Childish Gambino are at the top of my list. Maybe Studio Killers for a double-virtual-band collab.

edit: Josh. loving. Homme.

edit 2: Comedy answer: Mike Skinner (:barf:)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 22, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I'd have to say Little Dragon (again) and Childish Gambino are at the top of my list. Maybe Studio Killers for a double-virtual-band collab.

Royce Da 5'9, Paul Weller, Killer Mike, Ray Davies, and Beck.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'd love for Daft Punk to do a collaboration soon, something about the two of them working together just sounds right.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DD is the GOAT.

Every Planet we Reach is Dead? Sheeit.

Also Fire Coming out of the Monkey's Head.

The S/T one is also very good.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

i like the one with the raps

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Demon Days is truly a classic, from the intro to Last Living Souls was a great opener, then when it got to Don't Get Lost In Heaven/Demon Days, that was one of the best endings to an album I ever heard. The last song sounded so sombre yet majestic.

Speaking of Last Living Souls, the live visuals for that song were a bit weird. In the Demon Days DVD, it was just disembodied heads of the band members, but during the Plastic Beach tour, it was a couple of zombies in a wasteland.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 22, 2015

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
I first heard of Gorillaz and Demon Days when I was in like middle school or something (you can feel old now), and the sheer volume of new sounds I heard listening to it completely blew me away - hip-hop, dance, electronic, trip-hop, soul, r&b, etc.
Still in my second favorite album of all time because of that.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I've recently been thinking about how essential the cartoon band was for me to get into Gorillaz. I got into them in middle school and I didn't really listen to much rap at that point and most of the rap videos I'd see weren't really my thing. I went through S/T for the first time in a while and I just thought how much I would have hated Clint Eastwood if it didn't have the cartoon characters and the back story. If the video were just some guys I doubt I would have touched it. I liked most songs on it, but going back it's a pretty amazing album and it was pretty cool to get exposure to those weird genre combinations pretty early on. So that's my answer.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Drums and Wires. Followed very closely by Black Sea. English Settlement, while great, didn't strike me as all that fun.

Swizzbutt
Jul 12, 2014

Buttmeister posted:

If I could vote for two, it would be Gorrilaz (2001) and Demon Days for sure. Alas, Demon Days has my all-time favorite "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head". I dunno why, but the spoken-word style just really seems cool to me.

Completely agree, and the way it transitions is great too

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Nicki Minaj.

I'm not joking.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Demon Days is nearly perfect in every way that matters, but Plastic Beach goes above and beyond. You can feel so much frustration and resignation, and trying to keep a smile on in the face of the worst circumstances. Demon Days is about hope. Plastic Beach is about walking away.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Demon days

Also the single Doncamatic.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

horse mans posted:

Demon Days is nearly perfect in every way that matters, but Plastic Beach goes above and beyond. You can feel so much frustration and resignation, and trying to keep a smile on in the face of the worst circumstances. Demon Days is about hope. Plastic Beach is about walking away.

This is super on point.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Through the lens of nostalgia, Demon Days seems like the best. But its not. Plastic Beach forever.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

Hedrigall posted:

Holy jesus fuckballs, I hadn't even considered Gambino... That would be amazing.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Buttmeister posted:

i like that too the song reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9twWaP5_mBs but my favorite is their self-titled

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax

SgtScruffy posted:

Gorillaz had Clint Eastwood so therefore it's the best :colbert:

Exactly correct. Unless Gorillaz bring back Dan the Automator for another record, ST is the greatest Gorillaz album of all time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Stereo posted:

Holy jesus fuckballs, I hadn't even considered Gambino... That would be amazing.

Yeah it would be amazing.

In opposite world.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Demon Days for sure. But I really like Plastic Beach and it would be my next choice. I didn't like it at first but the more I listened the more I appreciated it.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Hedrigall posted:

Where do you live man, I swear we are pretty much the same person (literature and music at least).

Did you go to the Plastic Beach concert in Aus? While the DD live show on DVD is AMAZING, I loved the live show. Went to the after party in Brisbane, and Damon was WASTED, off his tits, and trying to DJ.

DD is definitely the best. Plastic Beach has some tunes, but DD is just fantastic as a whole. I would always listen to it from start to finish.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Dare is 'meh'.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I got back between Demon Days and Plastic Beach as my favorite. I think Demon Days has stronger individual songs but I like the overall tone of Plastic Beach more. Then again, Gorillaz has my favorite song of theirs - Tomorrow Comes Today - so I'm tempted to say that one.

I'm just gonna pick Plastic Beach though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

thehomemaster posted:

Where do you live man, I swear we are pretty much the same person (literature and music at least).

Haha hi-five awesone taste in books and music buddy. I'm in Sydney. And nah, missed Gorillaz when they were here :( also missed NIN/QOTSA which I will never forgive myself for.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Demon Days was my first intro to Gorillaz (well I was aware of them with the self-titled-I remember they came up on Newsround when I was a kid) , so I think it's still my absolute favourite. It's such a perfectly balanced album.

I really like Plastic Beach, though. In particular On Melancholy Hill is my favourite song the band's done. But I feel that wasn't as cohesive as Demon Days.

I like all of the albums. Even The Fall. Although I can take or leave most of the remixes on D-Sides.

Hedrigall posted:

Well I think De La Soul are lock ins, they showed up on the last two albums and are pals with Damon.

They wanted Engelbert Humerdinck for Plastic Beach, but his manager refused on his behalf. But Humperdinck turned around and fired him for it, so I guess he'd be up for it.

I'd love to see Danger Mouse come back to produce, though.

I'm really hyped for the new album. I mean the new Blur album suggests Damon's still got the musical side of things locked down.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Yvonmukluk posted:

They wanted Engelbert Humerdinck for Plastic Beach, but his manager refused on his behalf. But Humperdinck turned around and fired him for it, so I guess he'd be up for it.

Honestly, that would sound great...I mean if you have an artist who once sang 'Lesbian Seagull', you know someone has to collaborate with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPTXVqETBM4

Also, I'd love to hear another collaboration with the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, last year, I saw 'Brothers Hypnotic' (which also featured Damon and his record label, 'Honest Jon's') and I was surprised how far they've come before the Plastic Beach tour, I mean they performed a gig with Prince in Dublin.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 20, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean I made a list in this thread of collaborators I'd like to see but I trust Damon's judgment at this point to pick cool people.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Stereo posted:

Jesus loving Shiteating Christ. gently caress.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Demon Days is perfect. Plastic Beach owns but DD is absolutely perfect.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'll admit, I really only got into Gorillaz about a year ago when I bought their first album on a whim; ever since then, I've really been digging into everything Albarn and his collaborators have done. Whoever said the guy's a warlock is underselling him, if anything; he's practically a loving legend of music. Anyhow...

It's definitely a hard call to make, given how awesome Demon Days and Plastic Beach are in their own rights, and how tonally different they are from each other. I mean, the first album was good, but it kinda felt like it just started meandering off into an unfocused state in the second half. And, well... I wouldn't say The Fall was bad, just... Not up to par with its' predecessors.

What tips it over the edge for me, I think, are the "filler" songs. Plastic Beach's were all pretty smooth and easy to jam along to, but Demon Days was an entirely different beast, taking on a much more somber yet varied style. Plus, well, I'll admit to being a sucker for how smoothly the last few songs transition into each other; I kind of found it a shame that the titular track isn't anywhere near as famous as the singles.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Demon Days is a contender for best album ever made. Especially the end, the last three songs are loving insanely good as a single outro.

That's not to take anything away from S/T or Plastic Beach, which are both really great albums, but Demon Days is on an entirely different level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

It's definitely a hard call to make, given how awesome Demon Days and Plastic Beach are in their own rights, and how tonally different they are from each other. I mean, the first album was good, but it kinda felt like it just started meandering off into an unfocused state in the second half. And, well... I wouldn't say The Fall was bad, just... Not up to par with its' predecessors.

I can appreciate The Fall as an album made entirely to spite the people who cut off Albarn and Hewlett's rad music videos.

• Locked thread