Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rai

"I'd rather these things die sooner than later," Rai mumbles, surprised at the zombie's durability. Still, the one looks nearly finished, and the other isn't in too fine a shape either. With more purpose than before, he fires another bolt of fey fire at the zombie tangling with Aveline, intending to finish it off once and for all.

Standard: Eldritch Blast vs Reflex (@ G8): 1d20+12 28 1d10+8+1d6 24

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Nadya

With a smile, Nadya picks up her drink and saunters over to the lone man, taking a seat without question. "Good evening, sir," she says in her best innocent voice, "it was indicated to me that you could tell me where to find Burgomaster Indrirovich." She does not seem to be particularly intimidated by either him or the Gypsies watching her, but boldly smiles at him and sips from her drink. "My companions and I received a letter of distress from him, but he neglected to mention where we could find him. Will you aid me in the search for the poor man?"

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Aveline, Rai and Quindo
Rai's blast tears the zombie apart, causing him to disintegrate to dust. The Greater Zombie at E8 tears off the boards on the window and climbs in!
Aveline's turn!

map

Nadya
The young man looks at you. "My father? But he's been dead for over a week..." He glances at the door and at the gypsies.
"I must see this letter, at once."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aveline

At the sight of the zombie clambering through the window to menace the old woman, Aveline's blood runs cold. She pauses in her struggles against the zombie clutching her, and raises her shield-hand to bathe the undead in brilliant light. The zombie in the kitchen is hemmed in by a golden circle of protection, and the largest of the walking corpses reels as the light sears its flesh. "Madame, quickly! Get out of the kitchen! Stay close to Rai and Quindo, and keep away from the windows!" The nearest zombie swipes at her. "I can hold them for only a moment, please, HURRY!"

She suddenly realizes the others are out in this mess alone somewhere...hopefully not up to their ears in zombies, and not too far to hear her shout. "JUAAANNN! NAAADYAAA!"

Resist 2 All ends.

Minor: Divine Challenge on Greater Zombie F-8. Same effects as Divine Sanction, except that it lasts until I Challenge something else, or end my turn without attacking or staying adjacent to the target.
Minor: Symbol of the Champion's Code. Greater Zombie E-7 cannot make any attacks that target anyone besides me until my next turn ends.

Greater Zombie F-8 gets an OA here, because I'm making a ranged attack:

Standard: Radiant Delirium vs Reflex: 1d20+11 13 3d8+7 17
Zombie Leader is missed by a mile, but still takes 8 Radiant damage and is Dazed until my next turn ends.

Divine Sanction ends on Zombie Leader and Greater E-7.

pre:
Aveline de l'Égide
HP(Temps):    66/72(1)	AC:      26	P.Insight:      22
Surges(Value): 9/11(18)	Fort:    18	P.Perception:   17
Initiative:         +8	Reflex:  19	Action Point:    0
Speed:               5	Will:    23	Vision:  Low-light

At-Wills		Encounters		Dailies
Ardent Strike		[ ] Guardian's Counter	[X] Radiant Delirium
Virtuous Strike		[ ] Valorous Smite	[ ] Majestic Halo
Divine Challenge	[X] Righteous Smite	[ ] [ ] Lay on Hands
			[X] Astral Thunder	[ ] Dwarven Armor
			[X] Paladin's Wrath	[X] Symbol of Champion's Code
			[ ] Divine Mettle
			[X] Virtue
			[ ] Call of Challenge
			[ ] Second Wind

Current Status:
Grabbed--Greater Zombie F-8

Conditional Modifiers:
Resist 8 Fire
Bloodhunt:  +1 to attack rolls vs. Bloodied enemies
Imperious Majesty:  Enemies take -5 to hit me until my next turn ends
		if I can hit them before they take any actions in the encounter
Superior Will:  Extra save vs. any and all Daze/Stun conditions at the start of my turn
Virtuous Recovery:  Spending a surge grants me Resist 2 All until my next turn starts

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 8, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

[Sorry about the wait! Life was crazy these past two days!]

The greater zombie gnaws harmlessly on Aveline's armor!

Mad Mary stumbles back [shift F7->6->5]

The Zombie leader rips off his foot and throws it at Aveline, [Vs Reflex] who fails to dodge! The foot smacks her in the face for 19 damage! Then hops back onto the leader's foot!"

The Greater Zombie next to Aveline swings at her, but she bats him away with her shield!

It is Quindo's turn!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Nadya

Nadya raised an eyebrow fairly quickly, but produced the letter. Pilfering it from Juan when he was busy being concerned over the dead body had been child's play, and really, if he was just out helping some old woman, there was little need he had of it anyway. "Here you go," she said, sitting down next to the lad, "but if you'll indulge my questions while you read, how did master Indrirovich pass away?"

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

[I'm not normally for stealing from other party members, but I don't think there will be any objections to this and it moves the plot along, so]

"He left the town gates in hopes of reaching people like you before the town's fog choked him, but if you truly got that letter then..."

He takes the letter you handed him, and his face falls.

"This is not my father's letter! It's not even our family's seal! You've been tricked friend, and I fear the worst. Please, join me in the home of my family, there is something I must show you."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Nadya

Her frown deepens. "Really. Well, I shouldn't be surprised. But before I go, I must gather my friends. Then we can go to your house and discuss this. If their lives are in danger as well, I'd rather they hear it first hand." Nadya downs her drink perhaps a little hastily. She knew this was a bad idea.

Normally I don't steal either, but this seemed in character, anyway, and like you said it helps the plot. Trust me, companions, your pockets are safe!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Quindo

Quindo's skepticism regarding his magic's influence over mindless beings finally wins out, as his next spell has no effect on the zombies near Aveline. Unwilling to let the magic unravel so easily, Quindo refocuses it on the leader, who appears to have greater awareness. The lead zombie starts hallucinating that a horde of undead-slaying paladins are converging on its position, forcing it to swing wildly.

(Miss on first attempt, aiming to hit the two greater zombies, but then Orb of Deception at the leader. The leader can now be used for flanking, grants me CA, etc.)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Nadya
The Young man nods and rises, offering his hand.
"I am Ismark, the Lesser. Please meet me at my house when you have gathered your companions, and do be careful. The Count's minions roam freely at night."

He hands you a letter with instructions to his house. You notice the seal is the same as that of the one on the dead man's letter.

Rai, Quindo, Aveline
The leader of the zombies recoils, and shakes it's head. It seems to be eyeing it's comrades suspiciously!

Rai's turn!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rai

"Please duck, Aveline," Rai calls casually as he flicks his hand, another blast of greenfire shooting just over his companion's shoulder at the zombie she's facing. "It wouldn't do to have you burned."

Minor: Curse the enemy at F8.
Standard: Eldritch Blast vs Reflex: 1d20+12 20 1d10+8+1d6 21

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

[Again, I apologize for the delay, I promise my life is normally slow enough for me to be more punctual!]
Map

Rai's strike rings true, the greater zombie's skin sizzles and it's arm falls off. It looks at you as sand pours from the wound. [which is to say, he is bloodied.]

His ally, the other greater Zombie moves from E7 to F7 attempts to attack Mad Mary, but she is protected by the divine light of Pelor!

Aveline's turn!

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 14, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aveline

Unable to free herself from the zombie's tenacious grip, Aveline waits for the mindless thing to grasp the blade of her sword...and ignites it.

Greater F-7 is still under the Champion's Code until this turn ends, so he couldn't have attacked anyone besides me.

Standard: Virtuous Strike vs AC: 1d20+14 21 1d8+7 13 Radiant
Greater F-8 is Bloodied and I forgot the +1 from Bloodhunt, so I just barely hit! :toot:

Symbol of the Champion's Code now ends on Greater F-7.

pre:
Aveline de l'Égide
HP(Temps):    48/72(--)	AC:      26	P.Insight:      22

[X] Astral Thunder	[ ] Dwarven Armor
			[ ] Divine Mettle
			[X] Virtue
			[ ] Call of Challenge
			[ ] Second Wind

Current Status:

Conditional Modifiers:
Resist 8 Fire
Superior Will:  Extra save vs. any and all Daze/Stun conditions at the start of my turn
Virtuous Recovery:  Spending a surge grants me Resist 2 All until my next turn starts

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 14, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

[I completely forgot about the Champion's code, post amended.]
Map

Mad Mary shrieks at the attempt, shifts away then runs behind the party! [F5-G5, G5-J8, J8-L8]

The Leader Zombie throws his fist at Aveline! [vs reflex] the fist does 11 damage! then crawls back to the zombie leader!

The Greater Zombie bites a weak spot in Aveline's armor! he does 9 damage and doesn't let go!

It's Quindo's turn!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Quindo

Noticing that one of the zombies is poised to move in on him, Quindo launches a well-placed spell. Both that zombie and the one assaulting Aveline see the shadows themselves rise up and take hold of them, scratching and clawing at their rotten legs. Neither of them will be able to move very far for a while. Then, Quindo moves in front of Mad Mary, to ensure he stays out of the zombie's reach.

(Grasping Shadows between the two greater zombies, square F7, pretty sure I haven't used it during this fight. Fifteen damage, slowed, grant me CA. Then moving to K8.)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The zombie in the house looks at the shadowy claws tearing at it's legs, and tears them off, intending to drag it's self the rest of the way. [He's bloodied.]

Rai's turn

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm going to use the Dwarven Armor daily, leaving Aveline at 46/72 HP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rai

"I'd rather these things die sooner than later," Rai mumbles, surprised at the zombie's durability. Still, the one looks nearly finished, and the other isn't in too fine a shape either. With more purpose than before, he fires another bolt of fey fire at the zombie tangling with Aveline, intending to finish it off once and for all.

Standard: Eldritch Blast vs Reflex (@ G8): 1d20+12 28 1d10+8+1d6 24

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

[That was almost 3 times as much as needed!]
Map

The Greater Zombie explodes into tiny, useless pieces, it's sizzling flesh matting it's self onto Aveline's armor.

The remaining Greater Zombie makes a run at Rai! [F6->F5->G5->I7] He swings with his hefty claws! grabing ahold of Rai and biting into his flesh for 16 damage!
The remaining Greater Zombie drags it's self slowly towards Rai! [F6->F5->G5->H6]

Current Initiative order:
Iniative:
29 The Last Greater Zombie
28 Aveline
20 Mad Mary
19 Leader Zombie
15 Quindo
14 Rai

Aveline is up!

[EDITED BECAUSE I FORGOT THE ZOMBIES WERE SLOWED]

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 16, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aveline

"Return to the grave!"

Move: Shift to H-7.
Minor: Divine Challenge on Greater Zombie.
Standard: Virtuous Strike vs AC: 1d20+14 16 1d8+7 9 :saddowns:

pre:
Aveline de l'Égide
HP(Temps):    46/72(--)	AC:      26	P.Insight:      22

[X] Astral Thunder	[X] Dwarven Armor
			[ ] Divine Mettle
			[X] Virtue
			[ ] Call of Challenge
			[ ] Second Wind

Current Status:

Conditional Modifiers:
Resist 8 Fire

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

[Even slowed with CA.... Harsh. :(]
Map

Mad Mary is weeping about Gertruda!

The Zombie leader shifts a little [C9->B8] and throws it's foot again, this time targeting Rai! [vs REF] The foot goes over Rai's head! However, it still manages to return to it's owner!

Quindo's turn!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Quindo

Unsure whether to attack the lead zombie or the one primed to attack himself or Rai, Quindo decides to take on the more pressing threat, trusting the paladin to handle herself. With a wave of his hands, Quindo conjures the image of a cleric of Lathander, the Morninglord, who appears to hold up a holy symbol in an illusory turning attempt, realistic enough that even the forces animating the zombie start to be convinced, gradually pulling the cruel mockery of life from the shell, which would ultimately leave just an inert corpse.

(A hit on Phantasmal Assailant, with fairly wimpy damage. However, the target takes five ongoing and grants CA to everyone and not just me, save ends on both effects.)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

[18 is nothing to sneeze at!]
The zombie holds one of it's hands in front of it's face in an attempt to shield it's self from the blinding light.

Bringing us to Rai

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rai

Whirling quickly, Rai fires off yet another blast at the zombie that just barely missed him. "Die, you drat miscreation!"

Standard: Eldritch Blast vs Reflex @H6: 1d20+12 28 1d10+8+1d6 15

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The blast vaporizes the Greater Zombie, leaving only the Leader. The leader, clearly realizing he's outmatched, turns tail and runs, leaving behind his arm that he threw at the beginning of the fight.

[Everyone involved in the fight gets 475 exp. Nadya also gains 200 exp for finding Ismark.]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aveline

Aveline carefully approaches, ready to skewer the rotted arm should it make any hostile movements on its own.

"We need to leave. Now. The tavern should still be open. If they do not have beds, a customer will. If you three can get there, I must find Nadya and Juan."

pre:
Aveline de l'Égide
HP(Temps):    72/72(--)	AC:      26	P.Insight:      22
Surges(Value): 7/11(18)	Fort:    18	P.Perception:   17

Divine Challenge	[ ] Righteous Smite	[ ] [ ] Lay on Hands
			[ ] Astral Thunder	[X] Dwarven Armor
			[ ] Paladin's Wrath	[X] Symbol of Champion's Code
			[ ] Divine Mettle
			[ ] Virtue
			[ ] Call of Challenge
			[ ] Second Wind

Current Status:

Conditional Modifiers:
Resist 8 Fire

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 18, 2015

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Nadya

Nadya shows up a few moments later, though from her expression it is clear she wished she hadn't been there at all. "Ugh, I hate zombies... and the smell!" With a hand over her nose she steps inside the house, looking around to find the others. "Ah, there you are. So, there's good news and bad news. The good news is I found the Burgomaster! The bad news is he's dead, has been for a week, and the letter is most likely a forgery." She delivers the line with as much excitement as her expression bears. "I think we've been lured into a trap, friends."

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The arm lies limp and lifeless, until you point your sword at it, then it twitches momentarily before resuming it's state.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Oblivious to the peril of his allies, Juan carefully enters the decrepit structure, saying a prayer to Pelor.

[Oops!]

The interior of the church is in shambles, pews overturned, furniture ruined and windows broken then boarded back up.
Looking towards the front, you can see a weary priest facing a claw-scarred alter while chanting in his hoarse and withered voice.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Juan

Juan looks sadly at the desecration around him. He carefully approaches the priest, careful to not disrupt his prayer.

Am I familiar with this chant?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aveline

Aveline stamps down on the arm, then chops it into pieces.

"Did anyone see where Juan went?"

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Juan
[Yes, it is clearly a divine ritual that wards a place against evil.]
The priest finishes his chanting and slowly turns towards you. The man is thin to the point where the skin on his bones seems more like a mere formality then anything else. He seems surprised to see you at all.
"Servant of Pelor, I pray that you are real, and not merely my weakness providing illusions."
From his calm tone, you can tell that this would likely not be the first time if you were a figment.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Quindo

Quindo dusts himself off following the fracas, and shakes his head as Aveline tells him and Rai to head to the inn. "I'm not leaving any of you kids alone in a dangerous place like this. I never would have gotten to where I am today if I shied away from a few measly undead." As Nadya relates her own findings, Quindo nods. "I had a hunch there was more to it than in the letter, but, trap or no trap, an adventure's an adventure, don't you think? We'll just have to give the master of yon castle a sound beating, and be on our way. Rather reminds me of the time my great-grandfather was hired to clear out the dungeons under Castle Greyhawk. Though, something must have rattled the poor man's mind down there, he came back claiming he 'starred in a moo-vee' for Mordenkainen, whatever that means, though according to reports, it included laying waste to the castle grounds. The rest of his trip didn't make much more sense, actually, it was like a collection of bad jokes and references to some other world's popular culture. In any case, I doubt we'll encounter anything like that, so we should at least count our blessings in that regard."

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Even as he says these words, A peel of thunder rings throughout the land and Quindo feels the eyes of an angry deity momentarily glare at him from behind the mist before the shroud resumes and the feeling is gone.

[Thor will not have you insult his acting!]

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Juan

Juan gives a small smile, and bows his head. "I'm pleased to say that I'm very real, Father. But it's to my sorrow that we've met in such a dark time." He gestures to the disrepair around him. "A mysterious invitation has brought us- that is, myself and my otherwise occupied companions - to this place. It would aid me greatly to hear of how this place of worship came to be in such a state, and if possible, how I might be of service in its repair."

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

"The Lord of Castle Ravenloft, Count Strahd Von Zarich has sold his soul for power. He has the walking dead patrolling the land, he speaks with the hounds and bats. He has sent many attacks against this last vestige of the sacred. His most make the protection rituals I place here wear off faster than they should, so I stay up night after night, hoping to keep the sanctuary safe, at least until morning."
He looks you over,
"Pelor's light may have some extra effect here, will you join with me for a ritual? We may be able to empower the ward long enough for me to aide the town."

[That's a DC 25 religion check if you wish to aide the father.]

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(I'm not making fun of anyone's acting, I'm making fun of AD&D Module WG7, Castle Greyhawk. It was a "comedy" module full of lame puns and shoehorned-in pop culture references, and is alternately amazing and awful.)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

[Wasn't one of the rooms in that Module Thor's dressing room? Either way, that post was supposed to be in on the joke, don't expect it to have any bearing on the plot, the gods can't truly reach you in Ravenloft anyways.]

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Moriatti posted:

[Wasn't one of the rooms in that Module Thor's dressing room? Either way, that post was supposed to be in on the joke, don't expect it to have any bearing on the plot, the gods can't truly reach you in Ravenloft anyways.]

(Ah, no Thor, just an ancient red dragon and the tarrasque in the dressing rooms, with some assorted lesser monsters on the sound stages.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Juan

"Of course, Father. Let's bring light back into this house of worship"

Juan channels his faith, and hopes Pelor is with him today...

On a wing, and a prayer... (RELIGION): 1d20+15 30---SUCCESS!

A holy light washes over the room, and for a moment, Juan sees the church as it was; crowded pews, cleanliness, light flooding in through stained glass. He blinks, and the vision fades, but the place feels safer to him.

Edit: Whoops, I misentered that roll. It should have been +10, making my total a 25, not a 30. That's still a success, though.

• Locked thread