Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Summoner’s War: Sky Arena is a turn-based RPG, but mostly an idle gacha grindfest. It turns 10 this year and is ugly as poo poo. The "story" is nothing, nothing matters, it looks like a game a baby would make.

There's an unofficial discord if you google it, it has beginner guides that are up to date as of this edit on 1/10/24

You can be farming endgame gear after 2 or 3 days now

I like this game but there's only like, three of us left

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

don't spend money on this dumb game. it doesn't get you anything. play the game because you like idle grinding, otherwise play something better

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 11, 2024

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Nice OP.

So I finally got a Water Bear thingy. My usual team are the intro water fairy, the promo Queen Fairy, the Light Garuda the game gives you and a Water Inugami. Who to bench? I'm leaning towards the Fairy and then use either the Inugami's or the Warbear's leader skill. Three people with healing seem a bit excessive.

Sent a request to the guild, BTW.

EDIT: Which Guild? This Guild:

TVDinna posted:

So for all those people sitting out, I present: Summonthing Awful (but since there's a 14 character limit, it's actually SummonthngAwfl)

Come get free welfare things and stuffs for trivial amounts of energy!
We don't have a lot of time to get set up for this coming week's guild battle, but I'll be on all day.
I'll be using the Google spreadsheet to check, so either add it here or post it here so we don't get pubbie scum in our guild.
Gogogogogo

edit: Also, seems like channel 1012 is unused. Might as well use that for hanging out with other Goons.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
I've gotten a few requests into the new guild but I suspect they are pubbies. I've not recognized any of the names so I've been refusing them.
If I accidentally refused you, let me know and reapply.

As for the Goon channel, 1012 has been pretty empty so I've been hanging out there.

Also, since making guilds is cheap right now, I'll try and start another Goon guild on my alt acct just for holding purposes if/when we get enough people to fill another.
If all of the 21-30 members of each guild joins here, then we'd need another one just for more Goons to get in on this gravy train.

As for the OP, I think it'd be worth adding the few easy to get but super useful monsters like Roaq, Ramagos, Shannon, Bernard, Ahman, etc. to the list.
It's fairly easy to get those guys and they're way better than all but probably Elucia who remains strong until late level 30s imo.
Also, the importance of having strong friends to carry through stuff is incredibly useful too. Worth mentioning that too.

TVDinna fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 22, 2015

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
It's not very important but the rune list on the OP is outdated

There are four additional rune sets:
Will Runes - Immunity effects +1 turn -> Drops in Aiden Forest
Nemesis Runes - Atk Gauge +4% for each 7%HP lost -> Drops in Ferun Castle
Shield Runes - Creates a ally shield for 2 turns (10% of HP) -> Drops in Mt Runar
Revenge Runes - Counterattack +15% -> Drops in Chiruka Remains

Of these the Revenge runes are very popular for PVP mixed with violent runes, the others are kinda odd and frankly I'd skip them until you have some serious monsters to use them

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Good ideas, updated the rune section. Can someone make a kind of "top 10 farmable monsters" for TVDinna's idea? That would be great in the newbie section but I don't have enough knowledge to comprehensively list them.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

theghostpt posted:

There are four additional rune sets:
Will Runes - Immunity effects +1 turn -> Drops in Aiden Forest
Nemesis Runes - Atk Gauge +4% for each 7%HP lost -> Drops in Ferun Castle
Shield Runes - Creates a ally shield for 2 turns (10% of HP) -> Drops in Mt Runar
Revenge Runes - Counterattack +15% -> Drops in Chiruka Remains

Of these the Revenge runes are very popular for PVP mixed with violent runes, the others are kinda odd and frankly I'd skip them until you have some serious monsters to use them
It's extremely niche, but I see Will runes recommended for immunity/debuff-clearing critters. You could count them on one hand, but them being able to activate turn one through despair/freeze/etc seems pretty solid.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Hmmm... So apparently leaving a guild triggers a block on joining a new guild but not sure about being kicked? I got kicked and was able to start up the new guild.
The plan was to try and get as many people into guild battles for this next week, but it seems like I planned this new guild rather poorly :c

Also:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U6CU0scLhPgXAh7FajJygMjdPloAF9UnJCro-QhMK3I/pubhtml

I probably forgot a few, but those were the top contenders I thought of.

Snaggletooth
Mar 15, 2002

Agreed, thank you OP.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
drat nice new op

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Nice OP. Consider adding links to the respective guild threads?

Also I nominate wind yeti to be added to the newbie monster list. Not sure if he's top 10 but I got a lot of use out of him during the early/mid game.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 22, 2015

Shroud
May 11, 2009

TVDinna posted:

Hmmm... So apparently leaving a guild triggers a block on joining a new guild but not sure about being kicked? I got kicked and was able to start up the new guild.
The plan was to try and get as many people into guild battles for this next week, but it seems like I planned this new guild rather poorly :c

I think you have to wait 24 hours or so.

Nachodelamancha
May 31, 2001

Shroud posted:

I think you have to wait 24 hours or so.

It's 12, I left AwfulSummoners with my alt, but now I have to wait until late tonight to switch.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So here's my total noobish thing I realized today....

the different stages of each different zone is for each rune slot. I was wondering why I had so Rage slot 2 runes...its because thats one of the better newbie places to farm.
If I need the 4th slot or whatever I need to do the 4th stage there
Jesus christ I don't know why that took me so long to realize but now I'm finishing out my runes for some monsters. Seems like a lot, early on at least, want Energy/Rage or Energy/Fatal
Swift goes to some monsters too but stocking up on those seem to a great way to quickly gear someone early on.

I picked up a wind Penguin Knight and seems to be better, ability wise, than Water Penguin Knight.

Is Fire Yeti a worthwhile 2 star to mess with btw?

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 23, 2015

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So here's my total noobish thing I realized today....

the different stages of each different zone is for each rune slot. I was wondering why I had so Rage slot 2 runes...its because thats one of the better newbie places to farm.
If I need the 4th slot or whatever I need to do the 4th stage there
Jesus christ I don't know why that took me so long to realize but now I'm finishing out my runes for some monsters. Seems like a lot, early on at least, want Energy/Rage or Energy/Fatal
Swift goes to some monsters too but stocking up on those seem to a great way to quickly gear someone early on.

I picked up a wind Penguin Knight and seems to be better, ability wise, than Water Penguin Knight.

Is Fire Yeti a worthwhile 2 star to mess with btw?

Fire Yeti isn't very good, the wind version is superior (actually has a very good heal), that said, you're low level, so give it a try :)
At the start you should really just play around with what you get and stick with what you enjoy playing. Right now the worse it can happen is that you'll have a Fire Yeti for food later on :)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah even knowing that every level drops a specific slot, it still took me ~50 energy just to get a pair of 3-4 star HP% slot 2 energy runes today. I spent the last three days mostly grinding exp in Faimon which was great, but runes and awakenings are going to take quite a while now.

Around what level do most people make their first 6star monster? I've got a few 5s now but making a 6 seems like a ton more work so I doubt I'll have the stomach for it any time soon.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm a day away from awakening my first monster. Bearman is the first Just missing a few light pieces

Just to double check anglemon I want to level and evolve once before using him for food right?

While rainbowmon you evolve immediately than use to get 3 stars up to 4 star monsters

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
I don't think most people get a 6* until late 30s?
I'm 38 and only about to hit 6* when I get more 2-3 more 4*s.
The first 2 zones are easy to farm and Energy and Fatal 4*s will last a good while. Once you get to mid 30s is when you're able to start phasing those out so those are worth investing into for at level 6-9.

Made a PGS thread for the new guild: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708048

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Great OP, Paine! You're a gentleperson and a scholar.

Also congrats TVDinna on starting the Fifth Goon Guild! May you lead your guild to victory and/or defeat with pride. Best Wishes, and I guess I'll call you guys the Sums, while our third guild sempai-tachi* will be the Awfuls.

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah even knowing that every level drops a specific slot, it still took me ~50 energy just to get a pair of 3-4 star HP% slot 2 energy runes today. I spent the last three days mostly grinding exp in Faimon which was great, but runes and awakenings are going to take quite a while now.

Around what level do most people make their first 6star monster? I've got a few 5s now but making a 6 seems like a ton more work so I doubt I'll have the stomach for it any time soon.

I don't recall making a 6* until I was level 30+, but I lucked out on getting a Fire Valk in literally the first day of playing the game and she was already max level, just waiting for fodder.

That fodder included the Raoq and Ramagos that had carried me up to that point.

Incidentally, I really ought to fix my Vanessa's runes, I have her built as a main attacker because that's what I used her as, but I have proper DPS mons now, so she can be rebuilt for Violent/Energy HP/HP/Res like a good proper rezzer-tank.

This will take a lot of mana though and possibly leave me broke. :toot:

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm a day away from awakening my first monster. Bearman is the first Just missing a few light pieces

Just to double check anglemon I want to level and evolve once before using him for food right?

While rainbowmon you evolve immediately than use to get 3 stars up to 4 star monsters

Angelmon can't be evolved, they can be awakened but their awakened form only gives bonus XP to mons of their matching element. If you're going to awaken one, though, may as well get it to level 15 first if it's not already.

*(Translator's Note: this means a tachi of sempais!)

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 23, 2015

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
As a new player, that rune guide in the OP is super useful! Sent a request to the SummonthingAwful guild as well, name is WovoYovo.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jimbosaurus posted:

So, I just realized after actually paying attention to the heal amounts, that the skills when they give +X% it's not a flat rate on top of the skill, it's a % of the skill added to it. Take Ramagos for example, his crouch ability gives hit a 30% heal, but with the lvl 2-3 you get an addtional +10/+10% recovery; The recover only amounts to a +6% (10% of 30 + 10% of 30) instead of +20% (so a total of 36% instead of 50%). Same with Lulu's Healing; The basic heal skill recovers 20% and with the lvl 2-4 skills I would have thought it to be another +25% but it calculates it as +10% of the 20% it normally does, so only +2%. It only increase the basic heal +1%, +2% and +2% for the skill level, making it heal +25% at lvl 4 instead of what I thought would be +45%.

I can't be for sure, but I assume this does it for effects as well. A 50% chance to put an effect on, with a +10% harmful effect would only actually add "10% of 50" (so +5% instead of +10%). So, something like a Harpies Rat Hunt Skill (50% base) to weaken defense, at rank 8 of the skill would only have a 75% (lv 2, 4, 6 give +5% actual and lvl8 gives +10%) chance to inflict it not a 100% as it would seem.

I guess that makes sense so you can't keep healing a creature for half his health every other turn, but man that's a little misleading.

Brought over from old thread. It works as you said for positive effects. For negative effects the extra percentages are additive.

e: Should've used my thread title, OP. :argh: Nice job otherwise. :)

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 23, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't have a Raoq of my own but I do have some friends with 35 Raoqs who can't solo Faimon Normal. He might be a good mon for farming but he requires a lot of work and is a really low percent drop in a hard place to farm for newbies.

Ramagos (wind warbear) can farm a bunch of stuff albeit slowly, but he's one of the easiest to acquire farmers. Lots of nat 4s and 5s can also farm way better than the list monsters but are not exactly easy to come by.

Oh and something that took me too long to figure out - bring tanks of the "wrong" element to fights, that makes them more likely to get targeted and they should be able to survive even with the elemental weakness.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
this probably should go here:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you want a ton of Unknown Scrolls just try to farm essences for awhile :shepicide:

Some dude on reddit did a f2p google doc after making a bunch of f2p accounts and documenting a bunch of stuff. It seems like stuff i would have wanted to know when I was starting out: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tjbni9P1YWD0lWCMrAOSCArrq9RI1nkHVppfNivbaY8/pub

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

rabidsquid posted:

If you want a ton of Unknown Scrolls just try to farm essences for awhile :shepicide:

Some dude on reddit did a f2p google doc after making a bunch of f2p accounts and documenting a bunch of stuff. It seems like stuff i would have wanted to know when I was starting out: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tjbni9P1YWD0lWCMrAOSCArrq9RI1nkHVppfNivbaY8/pub
I saw this the other day and briefly looked today for the new thread. This is an extremely good guide to read if you're starting out and I only wish it existed back when I started.

I personally think Roaq is a legit monster to have/farm for, but the guide author makes some valid points.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Roaq is worthwhile IMO, if you're unable to farm Faimon reliably, friend the more senior Goons and use their monsters to help advance forward or help farm.
I want to say with even with lvl 9 4* runes with proper rolled affixes, just get something like Fire High Elemental as a leader fodder to help increase Roaq's DPS to reliably farm Faimon.
A side note worth adding is that skills being upgraded make a huge huge difference.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
The more I farm dungeons the more I think 3 star light fairy queen is better than my 4 star water fairy
Now I have not awoken my 4 star fairy yet but 2 heals,one that buffs attack power, is so helpful when I auto farm stuff.
I only wish it cleared harmful effects like my bearman too.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

What would be the best rep mons to push through faimon with? I need my L/D scroll dammit.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
There's a few options, but Tyron's (water sylph) probably a common, useful powerhouse. CC works on even the boss, so his blizzard comes in handy.

If you invite Bell_SA, I should have something that will get you through it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This really belongs here.

This game...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

This game...

It keeps happening.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

This game...

Nothing will top Xarbala stumbling into some cybersex.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Ugggggghhhhhhhh... Caved in and just invited a few pubs to join guild to fill roster for guild battle this week but no one set defenses.
So now we can't do guild battle anyways.
:bang:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TVDinna posted:

Ugggggghhhhhhhh... Caved in and just invited a few pubs to join guild to fill roster for guild battle this week but no one set defenses.
So now we can't do guild battle anyways.
:bang:

Guilty as charged. I thught you had to volunteer or something and that the window to do that had passed before you set up the guild? How does guild battle work, exactly?

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
I'll be joining the new guild as soon as I can (I need to work out where the button is to leave my current guild -_-). Using the same username in-game as I am here for ease. Currently a mid-level player working on my core 4* team and, thanks to a ton of help from the OP's post and the previous thread, learning how to run properly.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
There's a tiny rear end Leave at the bottom of the guild member screen.

Also, I kicked a bunch of the pubbies out since we missed out on Guild Battle this week. If I accidentally kicked a Goon yell at me here or in the PGS thread and reapply.
I think I only kicked the pubbies :s

So anyone joining up or thinking of joining up, set up your defenses immediately and check again on Sundays.
Make sure you set just random trash monsters so we can tank our rankings and get easier battles to fight.

To join guild battle, every Sunday the Guild leader sets the people who are fighting (but you have to have a defense set up) and then Mon-Sat we claw at the gates for free welfare. Guild battles are roughly twice a day.

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008

TVDinna posted:

There's a tiny rear end Leave at the bottom of the guild member screen.

Also, I kicked a bunch of the pubbies out since we missed out on Guild Battle this week. If I accidentally kicked a Goon yell at me here or in the PGS thread and reapply.

So anyone joining up or thinking of joining up, set up your defenses immediately and check again on Sundays.
Make sure you set just random trash monsters so we can tank our rankings and get easier battles to fight.

To join guild battle, every Sunday the Guild leader sets the people who are fighting (but you have to have a defense set up) and then Mon-Sat we claw at the gates for free welfare. Guild battles are roughly twice a day.

Thanks a ton, will join the new guild tomorrow (I'll be out all day at an interview today) and will set some random 3* trash as defense once I've been accepted.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

TVDinna posted:

I got kicked out. User name is the same as here.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TVDinna posted:

Roaq is worthwhile IMO, if you're unable to farm Faimon reliably, friend the more senior Goons and use their monsters to help advance forward or help farm.
I want to say with even with lvl 9 4* runes with proper rolled affixes, just get something like Fire High Elemental as a leader fodder to help increase Roaq's DPS to reliably farm Faimon.
A side note worth adding is that skills being upgraded make a huge huge difference.

My 5star Raoq would need pretty baller runes to reliably farm Faimon Normal, let alone Hard. He's nice if you can get to that point since runs will take like 15-20 seconds, but it's a really hard threshold to hit as a noob. My Dagora had 100% success rate of Faimon Normal as a 4star with mediocre runes, and has 100% success on Hard as a 5star with decent runes (3-4 stars, +9). Each run takes 2-3 minutes on auto which really is not bad at all.

I still love Raoq for farming essences/runes and on AO sometimes so I don't regret investing in him at all but I'm glad I didn't try to make him my first farmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Reminder there's a double XP event for 2 hours a day.

8am-9am Pacific
8pm-9pm Pacific

Also double mana from 12-1pm and 12-1am