Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Sylink posted:

is there a mod that removes the teleportation mechanics ? I want traffic hell.

This was one of the first mods I had seen that does this. Theres probably other mods that do this as well

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407335588

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks, I'll give this a whirl.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone know if it's possible to create buildings/props with animations? Like the Carousel Park has a spinning carousel.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Not in any practical fashion at the moment no.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Another modeling question: If I'm doing a reasonably complex building that has a good amount of repeating detail on it that will share the same texture, is it normal that in 3DS Max the UVs don't quite line up and I end up having to individually drag vertices around?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Domattee posted:

Another modeling question: If I'm doing a reasonably complex building that has a good amount of repeating detail on it that will share the same texture, is it normal that in 3DS Max the UVs don't quite line up and I end up having to individually drag vertices around?

Yeah, you'll be doing stuff like that quite often, I've found.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I'm just going to drop this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv0Br87tVKw

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The asset editor is kind of driving me nuts. Why is it that every time I load a pre-existing asset, modify that asset, and then save it as an entirely new asset, does it then duplicate the new asset I just created. And this is BEFORE sharing to Steam at all. It's bonkers.

Also I've updated an asset I've uploaded before and it works but it was really convoluted and I'm not sure I even remember what I did, so if someone could clarify the most painless way to update an asset, then that would be grand.

Edit:

SynthOrange posted:

Managing workshop stuff as a creator is a nightmare. I think I've got 4-5 versions of the one map just sitting there. All named the same, I cant tell where they are or why the gently caress there's so many duplicates.

Yes this exactly. What the gently caress.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 7, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Managing workshop stuff as a creator is a nightmare. I think I've got 4-5 versions of the one map just sitting there. All named the same, I cant tell where they are or why the gently caress there's so many duplicates.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sadly, there's not too much Colossal Order can do, I think. A lot of that's on Valve's head.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MikeJF posted:

Sadly, there's not too much Colossal Order can do, I think. A lot of that's on Valve's head.

I'm not sure I understand this since it exhibits this behavior before you ever share anything to Steam.

Anyway, crossposting from main thread:

Longbaugh01 posted:

So...there's this now: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=421028969

Now, I can't be certain because I'm not even really sure what this does, but anyone familiar with KSP modding will remember Majiir's ModStatistics. Though this probably isn't anything like that (I think...) it sure started reminding me about it. Reading the description, it seems pretty self-explanatory and innocuous, yet it also tries to sell itself really hard.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I need more help from the 3ds experts. I had finished with tinkering and applying materials and begun UV mapping (previous mapping efforts suffered technical difficulties.) Foolishly I then collapsed the stack (which consisted of the UVW unwrap modifier and my editable poly model). My building was looking something like this:

I saved and quit the program.

15 minutes later I have a change of mind and decide to work on it some more (who needs sleep anyway). I load the .max (and added a uvw unwrap to the stack) and am faced with this:

The same thing happened to me before but I didn't save and quit so I could just ctrl-z my way out of it. How hosed am I? How did I do this in the first place?

Domattee fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 9, 2015

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I don't suppose you had auto backup running in the background, and can just hop back to an older version?

( Customize -> Preferences -> Files )

Unfortunately I'm not sure if there's much you can do, after having collapsed the stack other than perhaps re-UV mapping it? Not too familiar with 3DS myself.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Somebody made a Cities version of London's Gherkin, moderately sized. From the same guy who's made a lot of versions of Chicago buildings.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419606464

Not sure about the scale on this one, but I like it anyway. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415816997 The Enterprise in a park. I'll take that over the lame fast food variants.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I did not. Good to know that exists though, I'll have it running from now on.
I could re-map it but that would mean a lot of wasted time and effort that I obviously would rather avoid if at all possible, especially since it was in a good state before the save/reload.

e: Pretty sure I figured out my fuckup. I must've somehow moved the material mapping into the same channel as the uvw unwraps, which promptly overwrote the material mapping when I saved

Domattee fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 9, 2015

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Long Lines building? Thats awesome.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Someone please make the brutalist turkey

tia

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat I love that turkey building

GOBBLE GOBBLE

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

simosimo posted:

Doner kebab meat, a new demand for your cims.

There's literally a place named this in my city.
I wouldn't eat there

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

A friend of mine lives in Dunedin in New Zealand, and I gather from him that the city plan was designed without accounting for local topography. Having a hard time finding geographic data to replicate it in the editor, funny how the USGS doesn't cover it. :v:

Google Maps shows a sweet city center, though.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
One neat thing about this is the collision detection. The buildings and roads do not have collision detection, if normal gameplay you can just go straight through them. Instead of trying to manually add collision detection, it's added in real time. I don't know how the modder is doing it, although I think I recall the modder was looking into ray casting to detect buildings and roads.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Has anyone investigated how to modify and overwrite existing growables in game? I want to add fences to all the low residential buildings. My suburbs look really off without them.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Does anyone know how to edit stats of a building beyond those of the base building? For example if I want to have a water tower that also generates electricity, or where you can set the spawn point and type for building-specific vehicles like Fire Trucks.

e: Holy poo poo, 3ds Max UV Grid Snap snaps to vertices

Domattee fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 16, 2015

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

New thing I made:

City Metro

Might stream the next thing I do because fuuugggit I haven't done it in a while.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

That'd be an awesome station for an above ground stop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It does look great, but when I'm putting in mass transit I typically bulldoze older buildings to make room. This makes large buildings a downer, especially if their long face has to be placed on a road.

I really like 2x2 sized stuff for transit.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

True.

I'd like to be able to give it some extra land value stuff but you can't on metro stuff.

Aside from making a little version which i may do, the large one is quieter and the service range is larger, so there are some benefits that are a bit more enticing that just looking better :)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
A little one in the same style would be a nice addition, so you have a metro network that is consistent in style.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fishbus posted:

True.

I'd like to be able to give it some extra land value stuff but you can't on metro stuff.

Aside from making a little version which i may do, the large one is quieter and the service range is larger, so there are some benefits that are a bit more enticing that just looking better :)

I think if you open the .crp with a hexeditor you should be able to search for "ValueAccumulation" or something like that and edit it manually

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Domattee posted:

I think if you open the .crp with a hexeditor you should be able to search for "ValueAccumulation" or something like that and edit it manually

Hmm, sounds like a plan. Do you happen to have a recommendation on a hex editor?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fishbus posted:

Hmm, sounds like a plan. Do you happen to have a recommendation on a hex editor?

I usually use HxD at work, but it is missing a few features that I would like. I'm very interested in other suggestions, too.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

I usually use HxD at work, but it is missing a few features that I would like. I'm very interested in other suggestions, too.

I got hxD, seems decent enough. I did use notepad++ with the hex plugin which has some issues in copy/pasting.

I did actually look around the gamefiles and could see nothing about land value, i assume it's baked into any building that is marked under a certain category. Entertainment radius and accumulation are the only things you can really change that sort of affect level up stuff. Just jamming those values in the hex editor doesn't seem to do anything, and changing the filesize causes the game to crash when loading the asset.

Basically it's what I thought initially - a massive ballache. I will leave it for the time being, maybe a patch will come out that will open up these values to turn on and off. Since i saw there are lots of cool ones that you can only inherit from building template. e.g. flatten terrain, clip terrain, useColourVariation, etc.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

That's too bad. I knew you could edit the placement rules and a few other hidden values but if it doesn't store the unused variables that doesn't help.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Crossposting from the main thread:

Koesj posted:

Nice! I'm really liking both your and Fishbus' buildings!

What's frustrating to me is that I can definitely get to the part you just posted, i.e. a decently optimized model in 3ds Max, but from there on out I'm drawing some blanks :( I do my modeling in Sketchup since I'm a filthy casual (and have been using it for years as an intermittent hobby) but I got the hang of pulling my test project through 3ds max and into the game:

When it comes to texturing I'm in the absolute beginner phase, but I 'get' how uvws work and have been trying to rapidly put something in-game with a placeholder texture and some gratuitous instancing:

Now my model is all broken up into different parts that won't get accepted by the game as-is, something something weld everything up something? And don't I still have to render to texture even though I'm using only one material off of one bitmap right now? I should have gotten into 3ds max fifteen years ago when I was modeling Total Annihilation units in Rhino 3d :mad:

I'm going to have to put a decent amount of time into getting the hang of texturing, but my main problem right now is not understanding what needs to be done to get stuff exported into C:S. Yes, I've watched the two or so vids done by people who quickly drag their stuff through max, but by trying to optimize my texturing work with instancing and different materials, I've hit a point where I really don't understand how to end up with a functioning fbx + the requisite image files. Every video tutorial I've seen so far has come at these kinds of problems from way different angles than I probably need to do.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You're at pretty much the same spot I was at when I started with City Skylines, except the only modeling experience I had before was a half-aborted attempt at making a ship for X3. (That I only barely passed art classes didn't help)

I've found "Render to Texture" to only really be useful if you are using the in-built textures from 3ds Max and applying those directly to your faces. That's how I started but you end up wasting a lot of space on your bitmap, and you can get awful artifacting if you have multiple polygons occupy the same space, so it's not even that useful for tiling.

To get accurate mapping exported you need to:

1. Open the material editor and make a standard material
2. Drag your texture sheet into the editor and connect it to the diffuse slot of the material
3. Apply the material to your entire model.

You'll now have your model with the texture plastered all over in crazy patterns. Now you get UVing.

1. Apply your Unwrap UVW modifier.
2. Move the modifier to map channel 1 (!!!) Channel 1 is where your material defaults to. You can change this but I haven't found a reason to do so yet. Make sure to select "abandon" if you move the modifier or you'll overwrite the channel you are moving your modifier to.
3. Get unwrapping until you have your textures where you want them to. Regularly save the UVs.

If you want to make any changes to the model after you have started UVing, collapse the Unwrap UVW modifier and edit your model with "Preserve UVs" enabled ("Edit geometry" in the window on the right). I find I regularly have a lot of "dead" polygons, that don't define geometry and aren't used for special textures, so I weld those away. If you have edited your model make sure to put another Unwrap UVW modifier on there and save the new UVs, since 3ds Max will refuse to load the old ones.

Now you have your model as you want it to look. You export it, but it looks like poo poo ingame, as if it had lost all of its UV mapping. What happened? Autodesk is what happened! You have to add an "Edit Mesh" modifier to your stack before you export. No I don't know why either.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Hell yeah, thanks! I've managed to beat my rut now because your post made the process of getting something done much clearer!

Now I can finally go and UV my entire model for the first time:

e:

Okay now I'm definitely doing things kinda right, thanks again!

Only 6.7MB as well, without a LOD model or a normal map mind you. I think I can go down to 1024*512 on textures though.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 30, 2015

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I found a bug with the importer, it's annoying but at least I found out what was causing the issue.

The bug is that if you rotate models in the asset importer, it fucks up how the normals are read and rendered. If you flip a model 90 degrees through the X, the normals won't and therefore you will have some faces that render their bump mapping the opposite way to the incoming light. I was pulling my hair out for days over that one! Since some faces rendered fine and others were ever so slightly wrong.

I wonder if there's a way to fast-track an issue to CO because it's probably something they would be interested in knowing about.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
A dude on the paradox forums was describing that exact same issue a while ago, and IIRC noone from the dev side commented on it. I guess you can chalk it up as yet another idiosyncrasy of modding the game.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Fair enough. I just have to pre rotate my models to the unity xyz standard now before I export them. Knowing that I wasn't somehow creating dodgy normal maps is enough solace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Fishbus posted:

Fair enough. I just have to pre rotate my models to the unity xyz standard now before I export them. Knowing that I wasn't somehow creating dodgy normal maps is enough solace.

It's weird because this doesn't happen for me. I can rotate and my mapping stays consistent. Perhaps it's different FBX export settings?

• Locked thread