Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

xzzy posted:

What's the trick to keeping rivers from surging endlessly in the map creator? Does the game have problems if the elevation changes are too big? Riverbed not perfectly slow? Not deep enough?

Water sources also double as water drains. If you place a water source at minimum height at the end of your river it can drain water, but in my experience it takes about two 100% strength drains for every 100% water source. So place a couple of drains at the end of your river and it shouldn't overflow as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the issue isn't drainage, water disappears fine once the river makes it to the sea. It's just having a river coming down out of a mountain valley creates endless waves that constantly flood the riverbanks.

It gets a bit better if I reduce the elevation changes, but then everything turns into a grand canyon type situation which is crappy in a different way.

Paging through random workshop entries I don't really see anyone doing any major elevation changes on rivers, so maybe the game just doesn't support it very well.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Have you tried spawning less water at the source? Or making sure that the source forms a small lake that then drains into the river, rather than feeding the river directly.

e: sources can be a bit stop-and-go what spawning is concerned if they are just short of permanently maintaining their waterlevel.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 27, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sylink posted:

Please modders, include a loving thumbnail/snapshot on your mod, my park list is full of bullshit

If only it was easy/possible to do this, I have no idea how to do it :(. Like there's a way to take a picture of it in the editor, but the game for some reason doesn't make that a preview snapshot :(.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

WIP Second model i'm working on ('The Super-Mart), not looking forward to UV mapping this sucker. I have plans for unique textures on both 'long' walls, would suck if I have to use a tiled one to save space on the texture-map.

The area on the right will be a 2 row carpark, also complete with a loading bay. I doubt I can make commercial vehicles drive onto the lot, but that would be neat!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If only it was easy/possible to do this, I have no idea how to do it :(. Like there's a way to take a picture of it in the editor, but the game for some reason doesn't make that a preview snapshot :(.

It seems to be a known bug, unfortunately :(

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

simosimo posted:

I have plans for unique textures on both 'long' walls, would suck if I have to use a tiled one to save space on the texture-map.
You don't have to. You can just scale it appropriately on the UV map so you can fit what you need.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I've been modelling this thing for a couple days. Tower 42 in London, it was always one of my favorite looking skyscrapers for some reason.

The street-level structure is just ehhh. But really, look at the real thing:

Fuuuuuck modelling that. I tried to fake it by going with 2 layers of glass, one at about half transparency and one opaque with max reflectivity. But apparently the building shader Skylines uses doesn't do partial alpha, just on or off.

Still pretty proud of it, for all the complex bits it's a pretty low poly count too.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414701926

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Enos Shenk posted:

I've been modelling this thing for a couple days. Tower 42 in London, it was always one of my favorite looking skyscrapers for some reason.

Fuuuuuck modelling that. I tried to fake it by going with 2 layers of glass, one at about half transparency and one opaque with max reflectivity. But apparently the building shader Skylines uses doesn't do partial alpha, just on or off.

Still pretty proud of it, for all the complex bits it's a pretty low poly count too.

Good work, i'm eating up all buildings which aren't super futuristic/glassy.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

How long will it be until I can make a whole capsule corp city?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Domattee posted:

Have you tried spawning less water at the source? Or making sure that the source forms a small lake that then drains into the river, rather than feeding the river directly.

e: sources can be a bit stop-and-go what spawning is concerned if they are just short of permanently maintaining their waterlevel.

Yeah I tried every combo I could think of.

I think the fluid simulation simply doesn't support big elevation changes very well. I made a couple simple test maps and no matter how I configured the water sources a long slope would produce endless waves along its length. Which admittedly looks cool but I wouldn't want to build a city around something like that.

It's not a deal breaker I just have to re-think how I want to make the map.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I made a video for goons and folks who know nothing about modelling but want to GET MAKING for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5y0W_bxDs

I only learnt to model for this game last weekend, so my method is no way verbatim, but it works. I spent hours digging around videos for this exact method, now i've harnessed it into a video for others.

Hopefully it helps you in some way. I got confused with the UV mapping concept, now I get it, kinda.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can't wait for a "ban awful post-post-post modernist architecture" from the city ordinance once there's enough content. I know CO couldn't hire actual architects so everything looks like a bad knock off of some Dubai or chinese bargain basement starchitecture. "Eh, just give it a crazy goofy form, wrap it in some glass, yeah call it architecture". It's kinda funny how a bunch of amateurs just sort of trying to make "kewl buildings" without any formal architectural training or the time needed to really come up with amazing designs basically produced architecture of the exact same quality as a lovely "Starchitect". Not so much a dig on CO, but basically calling modern form-obsessed architecture essentially the same as what a rushed low-budget niche video game company can produce.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 27, 2015

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
edit: just noticed this was the mods thread

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 27, 2015

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Enos Shenk posted:

Looks great. I don't know if you heard of this before, but glass transparency is achieved by using pure white on the specular layer.

The modding wiki mentions: "Specular (Grayscale. 100% white areas are rendered as windows)" - link

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Baronjutter posted:

Can't wait for a "ban awful post-post-post modernist architecture" from the city ordinance once there's enough content. I know CO couldn't hire actual architects so everything looks like a bad knock off of some Dubai or chinese bargain basement starchitecture. "Eh, just give it a crazy goofy form, wrap it in some glass, yeah call it architecture". It's kinda funny how a bunch of amateurs just sort of trying to make "kewl buildings" without any formal architectural training or the time needed to really come up with amazing designs basically produced architecture of the exact same quality as a lovely "Starchitect". Not so much a dig on CO, but basically calling modern form-obsessed architecture essentially the same as what a rushed low-budget niche video game company can produce.

Cool spergin

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Cygni posted:

Cool spergin

If only there was some way to make things for this game.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'd really like a way for the asset editor to allow me to "replace" buildings in the game for just this reason. You're right, they look like junk.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Fishbus posted:

Looks great. I don't know if you heard of this before, but glass transparency is achieved by using pure white on the specular layer.

The modding wiki mentions: "Specular (Grayscale. 100% white areas are rendered as windows)" - link

It just means white in the specular texture is rendered as reflectivity. Most of the stock buildings just use max specular as a cheap way to show glass.

Transparent glass would be in the alpha texture, but I'm guessing they're using a masked transparency shader where there's a transition point between 100% opaque and 100% transparent.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

:lol: what is this

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

simosimo posted:

I made a video for goons and folks who know nothing about modelling but want to GET MAKING for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5y0W_bxDs

I only learnt to model for this game last weekend, so my method is no way verbatim, but it works. I spent hours digging around videos for this exact method, now i've harnessed it into a video for others.

Hopefully it helps you in some way. I got confused with the UV mapping concept, now I get it, kinda.
Jony Ive is a goon?!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Enos Shenk posted:

It just means white in the specular texture is rendered as reflectivity. Most of the stock buildings just use max specular as a cheap way to show glass.

Transparent glass would be in the alpha texture, but I'm guessing they're using a masked transparency shader where there's a transition point between 100% opaque and 100% transparent.

Dang that sucks. I hadn't had a trip report yet. I wonder how it's done since there seems to be buildings with transparent windows.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Is there an education specific mod that makes schools have higher capacity? Double the current capacity would be awesome.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fishbus posted:

Dang that sucks. I hadn't had a trip report yet. I wonder how it's done since there seems to be buildings with transparent windows.

Are there? Or are you thinking about buildings where you can see 'floors' behind the windows in buildings? Because those are just part of the window shader/how the game handles windows.

You can set how many floors, how far apart they are and so on, and have them show up ingame properly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Baronjutter posted:

source your quotes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CJacobs posted:

source your quotes

Sorry, Rem Koolhaas and Frank Ghery and all their kin are garbage as is all po-mo or form-obsessed modern architecture. The CO art team could replace these people and probably do a better job. I don't even know if some of the worst buildings in skylines are actually satire on post-modernism but po-mo is indistinguishable from both satire or amateur attempts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bet you like brutalism lol

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wish that Tsunami disaster mod had "puddle" mode, so I could dig a lake and use it to fill it with only a small amount of water, not a city leveling wave. :v:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Sorry, Rem Koolhaas and Frank Ghery and all their kin are garbage as is all po-mo or form-obsessed modern architecture. The CO art team could replace these people and probably do a better job. I don't even know if some of the worst buildings in skylines are actually satire on post-modernism but po-mo is indistinguishable from both satire or amateur attempts.

Po-mo or Po-po-mo? Cause po-mo is dope.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Baronjutter posted:

I was wondering why the mod thread had a sudden surge in comments. Oh, somebody said something dumb, got it.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
How do you get dams to work correctly? When ever i lay them down they work fine for a while then they'll stop operating and no water will be flowing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skoots posted:

How do you get dams to work correctly? When ever i lay them down they work fine for a while then they'll stop operating and no water will be flowing.

The water on the upstream side has to be about even with the bevel on the top of the dam for dams to work.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Skoots posted:

yeah, water can be really weird and take a long time to stabilize. Dams are long term projects, you sometimes have to let the game just run for years before the water physics understand what the gently caress is going on.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Is there a good way to update your stuff, because right now it's a nightmare minefield. Maps can duplicate in the package and cause a flat map catastrophe and updating a model asset is tedious since you can't re-import a model when you load the lot asset to update the mesh/textures.

A lot of it requires subbing to your stuff, then trying to do a weird intercept of the workshop statging area and do a swap.

Urgh. It's really nasty to work with at the moment, it's easy to get the first instance of something up, but after that it's a twisted mess of particular tedium.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
In the spirit of making GBS threads on PoMo architecture:

It would be supremely nasty to UV-map my fake Two Pru, right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fishbus posted:

Is there a good way to update your stuff, because right now it's a nightmare minefield. Maps can duplicate in the package and cause a flat map catastrophe and updating a model asset is tedious since you can't re-import a model when you load the lot asset to update the mesh/textures.

A lot of it requires subbing to your stuff, then trying to do a weird intercept of the workshop statging area and do a swap.

Urgh. It's really nasty to work with at the moment, it's easy to get the first instance of something up, but after that it's a twisted mess of particular tedium.

Workshop is really lovely in a lot of ways and I don't see steam making it better any time soon :( The only other option is some awful simtropolis style site. That or someone putting together a site like what all the skyrim mods and poo poo are on, like a site/mod organizer combo thing.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I take it no-one has tried modelling the darco yet?

With the launch arco, the helical tubes at the bottom don't seem to correspond to any earth geometry.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Doner kebab meat, a new demand for your cims.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

simosimo posted:

Doner kebab meat, a new demand for your cims.

Make it a crematorium as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Are the cims themselves moddable, at all? Not to get all super internet SJW up in here, but the game is full of nothing but white people. I'm sure Finland is like 99.9% white people and like maybe one guy with a tan, but still I'd like my city to look a wee bit more realistic when I'm FPS camming around at street level.

• Locked thread