Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kalonZombie posted:

As much poo poo as Lazyfire gives the Wraith skill tree, there is one VERY IMPORTANT SKILL in it involving fire. I would even call it one of the best skills in the game.

But I'm sure he'll show that off. (hell he already tried to once)

Yeah, between the first and second episodes I bought that skill and show it off.

Early on you really want to focus on the ranger side of things, if you look at the skill trees a ton of the stuff on the wraith side is unlocked just by playing missions, so it makes more sense to dump points into Ranger stuff and focus on the combat abilities for the time being.

Also, buy more health. Unlike most games you don't heal over time, but only by grabbing plants on the map and the occasional drain/head explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

kalonZombie posted:

Yes, but then the game gets really boring actually.

I'm REALLY disappointed that it doesn't give you some kind of easter egg fake ending for that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Keeshhound posted:

I'm REALLY disappointed that it doesn't give you some kind of easter egg fake ending for that.
Secret final boss: you're fighting Sauron now.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Secret final boss: you're fighting Sauron now.
You actually fight the Witch-King of Angmar and have to rely on your Uruks to cut him down. No Man of woman born and all that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Supersonic Shine posted:

You actually fight the Witch-King of Angmar and have to rely on your Uruks to cut him down. No Man of woman born and all that.
That would actually be clever as hell

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Lazyfire posted:

Unlike most games you don't heal over time, but only by grabbing plants on the map and the occasional drain/head explosion.

There are also some runes that give you health back for killing orcs in various ways, to the point where you can become an unkillable god.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

There are also some runes that give you health back for killing orcs in various ways, to the point where you can become an unkillable god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU

Edit: This video may have spoilers. Proceed with caution.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 26, 2015

azren
Feb 14, 2011

JT Jag posted:

That would actually be clever as hell

Yeah, that would be pretty neat, actually.

I remember when I saw the films, I was expecting it to be Gandalf, since it was said "no man alive" could defeat him, and Gandalf never met the first criteria, and no longer exactly met the second one either.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Assuming "man" implies human, most of the fellowship could meet the criteria too.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
No it explicitly means 'male' because the Witch King gets his poo poo kicked in by a woman.

It may be specifically male human, but probably extends to male elves, hobbits etc too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I know, I was just responding to Azren talking about who he thought it might be. Gandalf is male, and although he wasn't really 'born', you might not know that if you aren't a big dork who read the Silmarillion. Vague prophecies like that are easy to loophole depending on how you interpret the language. Heck you could have him crushed by a siege weapon and claim it was the stone that killed him instead of the human male trebuchet operator.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Alternatively, you could just have him run through by a random soldier while he was busy boasting, because prophecy is bullshit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Neruz posted:

No it explicitly means 'male' because the Witch King gets his poo poo kicked in by a woman.

It may be specifically male human, but probably extends to male elves, hobbits etc too.

Eowyn may have landed the killing blow but Merry cut his tendon.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Neruz posted:

The loophole for Orcs being that they aren't born from women

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Kurieg posted:

Eowyn may have landed the killing blow but Merry cut his tendon.

Wasn't his sword actually some ancient wraith-killing dagger from ages long past or something?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Polaron posted:

Wasn't his sword actually some ancient wraith-killing dagger from ages long past or something?

Yup. Blade of Westernesse, forged by the enemies of this specific wraith.

quote:

"So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs, work of Westernesse. But glad would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly long ago in the North-kingdom when the Dúnedain were young, and chief among their foes was the dread realm of Angmar and its sorcerer king. No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Polaron posted:

Yeah but if memory serves he had no idea that was the case. It was one of those "Here take this dagger you'll need it later wink wink nudge nudge" things.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In the books Aragorn doesn't just give them the daggers, they loot them from the barrow-wight, so everyone at least knew they were super old and super good blades.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Tom Bombadil gave them the blades and he had precognition bordering on plot device. The idea being he knew they'd all be fighting ring wraths so he gave them the barrow blades, but he knew Merry specifically would be fighting the WKoA and gave him the +5 Witch King slaying knife.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah but like everything Bombadil related, he didn't feel the need to inform the rest of the class, at least not in terms anyone could parse.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Supersonic Shine posted:

Huh, I just realized that the "Man of woman born" prophecy and the Ents marching on Isengard were both just Tolkien riffing on Macbeth.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Bendigeidfran posted:

Huh, I just realized that the "Man of woman born" prophecy and the Ents marching on Isengard were both just Tolkien riffing on Macbeth.
Yep, he wasn't a huge fan of the prophecies in Macbeth.

quote:

Their [the Ents'] part in the story is due, I think, to my bitter disappointment and disgust from schooldays with the shabby use made in Shakespeare of the coming of 'Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill': I longed to devise a setting in which the trees might really march to war.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

A good example of this would be the Rangers of the Black Gate themselves (that is, the guys Talion was working with until an army of Orcs got shoved up their collective asses). Gondor did "set a watch upon" Mordor after the War of the Last Alliance, and they did loose control of the Black Gate... about a thousand years before the book even began. The Orcs quite literally walked into Mordor. :v:

How much time passes between Talion's death and his ressurection? Also, the orcs call him Ranger, the Rangers did operate in that area, after all that's aroundish where Faramir's crew hung out. Before the orcs came back in full force they might have though it an acceptable risk to take women and kids along. It's... possible. There's enough leeway with the books and the timeframe that it might be possible, especially with a time lapse.

Makes for a fun game, that's for sure.

azren posted:

I really appreciate this. The whole concept really feels like something really cool for a fantasy setting, but something completely out of place for LotR. A human stuck between life and death, channeling the amnesiac ghost of an elf to obtain crazy-rear end magic powers that are ridiculously flashy compared to every other piece of magic in the franchise, would work wonderfully in another setting. It just... doesn't fit the setting it's licensed for.
This isn't actually me trying to bash the game, it looks really good, I'm just glad it lets itself play creative liberties in general, rather than trying to fit that one weird thing in with an otherwise "canonical" story.

Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel could do stuff like that, but chose not to, especially Gandalf, because overt use of powers ties one to Middle-Earth, and they all wanted out. And the only reason Gandalf used what power he did was because the end was in sight.

The wraith in this game, however, doesn't give a gently caress about any of that.

Neruz posted:

Merry stabbed the Witch-King in the foot, distracting him long enough for Eowyn to get in a good hit. It paralyzed his arm for like a month.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm not disputing that Merry played a vital part, but he didn't kill the Witch King and as mentioned he was using a special anti-Witch King blade. I don't think there was any part of the prophecy preventing a 'man' from hurting the Witch King by stabbing him with an anti-Witch King blade, they just couldn't kill him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel could do stuff like that, but chose not to, especially Gandalf, because overt use of powers ties one to Middle-Earth, and they all wanted out. And the only reason Gandalf used what power he did was because the end was in sight.

The wraith in this game, however, doesn't give a gently caress about any of that.

Yeah, magic in Middle Earth is entirely capable of all sorts of flashy poo poo; iirc a bunch of flashy magic gets thrown around during the Silmarillion. It's just that by the time of the War of the Rings no-one who is capable of flashy magic wants to use it, though Gandalf eventually just goes 'gently caress it lets end this' and starts waving magic glowsticks around.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 27, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Neruz posted:

I'm not disputing that Merry played a vital part, but he didn't kill the Witch King and as mentioned he was using a special anti-Witch King blade. I don't think there was any part of the prophecy preventing a 'man' from hurting the Witch King by stabbing him with an anti-Witch King blade, they just couldn't kill him.

Right, it didn't really hurt the Witch-King at all, only distracted him, and Merry paid for it because of the curse. At least, that's the way I took it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A lot of the flashy magic stuff is the movies, too. There's a huge influence via Norse stories on Tolkien's work, where heroes are cunning and sing songs of slaying to cleave through steel and flesh (on that note, go play Sil.)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

wiegieman posted:

A lot of the flashy magic stuff is the movies, too. There's a huge influence via Norse stories on Tolkien's work, where heroes are cunning and sing songs of slaying to cleave through steel and flesh (on that note, go play Sil.)

That looked interesting until I saw it was not tile based. I just... I just can't. I'd rather play a text adventure than have to suffer an ASCII (or Unicode, whatever) one.

\/\/\/ I know, I know. I don't feel great about it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 27, 2015

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That looked interesting until I saw it was not tile based. I just... I just can't. I'd rather play a text adventure than have to suffer an ASCII (or Unicode, whatever) one.

Your loss,man. It's pretty good.

Edit:actually, I hope someone LPs, or at least shows it off at some point.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 27, 2015

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU

Edit: This video may have spoilers. Proceed with caution.
This guy seems really cool in that he's trying to validate himself because some people said mean things in his comments. Guy is a grown rear end man making a living off youtube.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

VolticSurge posted:

Your loss,man. It's pretty good.

Edit:actually, I hope someone LPs, or at least shows it off at some point.

Agent355 did a Roguelike megathread-ish LP a while back. I don't remember if he played Sil himself, or if someone else in the thread did a playthrough, but Sil was definitely played for the cheerings and amusement of goons.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

inscrutable horse posted:

Agent355 did a Roguelike megathread-ish LP a while back. I don't remember if he played Sil himself, or if someone else in the thread did a playthrough, but Sil was definitely played for the cheerings and amusement of goons.

Link,please? To the thread,at least.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I don't have one, sorry :( It doesn't look like it was ever submitted to the LP Archive, so you'll have to resort to forum archaeology.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So here's the first of our free roam videos. I've mentioned a number of times by now that these videos are going to be less...structured than the story videos, so if I get distracted by a shiny object somewhere off in the distance, don't be surprised. After the next main story video we'll have some basic objectives to these things as after that we can really start engaging in the orc politics by taking on events and cause the rise and fall of favored/unfavored orcs.

I've seen a couple posts saying "let things handle themselves" and such, but now is the time to really put ideas out there. Once you look over the orc board at the end of the video you'll have an idea who our opponents are and I'd like to have some suggestions for courses of action pretty soon so we can start influencing our enemies pretty soon. Try to keep your suggestions simple. We can't brand yet, so our best options are influencing events from the outside. Any suggestions that get a "Second" will cause me to generate a simple up/down poll on the action. I'm going to endeavor to get to every suggestion that gets approved by the thread, but it may not be possible in just one video. If you see a yellow lock symbol over a captain's head they are off limits, keep that in mind going forward.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
People saying let things handle themselves are being silly; manipulating orc politics is the bread and butter of this game. Oh sure the story exists and it's worth doing if only for the various upgrades, but the real entertainment is found in orc politics.

Whoever came up with the whole Nemesis system and orc politics was a goddamn genius.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'll cast my vote for Thrak the Brother and Dûsh the Ripper for prom king/queen.

Game looks fun, if I had something that could be running it it looks really fun to actually play.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh god, you have a Dûsh?

Keep him alive as long as possible If you can game it so he survives the act 1 purge and lives to become a warchief that would be even better We need to hear those orcs chanting his name.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

I went out of my way to fill up the whole Orc board and get all the information on them...

3 Minutes later and two dead captains

I probably laughed too much. Also I vote for Dûsh

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kurieg posted:

Oh god, you have a Dûsh?

The douche Dûsh must live!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

President Ark posted:

The douche Dûsh must live!

This guy and the other(s) that look like they might be harder to take out this early should be your pawns in Orc Politicking. And not just because they look better prepared for future challengers, but because having to NOT kill them should make for entertaining fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

'Let things handle themselves' as in ignore the current gen reason to buy this game in the first place? What?

• Locked thread