Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So here's where we stand:

Pushkrimp: Promote

Grisha: Protect (we'll keep him from suffering any injury at the hands of other orcs)

Ushgol: Promote and scare off at every opportunity. It may take some effort for the second part

Borgu: Kill, forever style. I wasn't expecting this one, and who knows if he'll stay dead after he survived...well, you'll see in a couple videos.

Dush: Keep on keeping on, we're going to get him to warchief, I tell ya'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
If we get an orc who keeps coming back no matter how we try to kill him permanently, I say we promote after, oh, three resurrections.

it's like the three strikes rule, but flipped around!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So this is the first of the two free roam videos I have lined up right now. As you can see, the Orc Political Machine goes a bit off the rails within five minutes of starting this entire endeavor. That's going to be part of the fun for much of the run. Even if things go well for the most part there are going to be freak occurrences that are going to ruin our plans or somehow make things go better than we could have ever asked for. If I hadn't been looking for that elf symbol I probably could have stopped the death, I realize now, but goddamn if it wasn't funny as hell.

Aside from that, I am looking for people's input on the sword/bow/dagger Legends (Displays of Power as the game calls them) and how we should handle them for future free roam videos. Unless every orc is in play in some way or another we'll probably be looking at short, infrequent free roam videos. I figure breaking up the legends with some orc politics and general fighting is probably a good way to handle things for now, but I could also excise the Legends from the videos and put them in their own thing in the future.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We totally need to perma-kill Mura One-Eye (or whatever his name is) because that voice is really, really terrible.

Preferably either with fire or with a carragor.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
I actually did play this game and privileged the keyboard: bow killing became that much easier, at the expense of having so many key strokes to use so many different abilities. Late game I was up to using my Ts and Ks for special attacks.

But the bow.... Much easier to aim with the mouse than with an analog stick. Easier to get Last Chances too. The bow kills in a single shot, so when you're swamped with orcs, just taking down three orcs in that many arrows makes all the difference. Seems like the only way to kill reliably with the sword is with Executions. Later, when new orcs with defenses against frontal assault appear, you'll definitely appreciate the bow.

As for votes, I'm not that much interested in Orc politics but more so in the missions. Storyline or weapon-based, both are fine.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think there should be three sets of videos: Main Missions, Free-Roam and Side-Missions.

You'll film the Free-Roam and Side-Missions at the same time, but cut the side missions out of the free roam video (which will be mostly focused on loving with Orcs and picking up collectables you stumble upon along the way) and into one of their own. You know, in case you accidentally kill a captain while walking to a side-mission or something. The Side-Mission videos would contain the weapon-upgrade and outcast quests. And the Main Mission videos will contain... main missions.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
The bow gets an extra use later on with a wraith power, Shadow Strike, which lets you escape nasty situations easily. It also gets better with runes that grant Elf-shot on drain.

Alas, poor toasty-head. Perhaps he shall return with his entire shoulders up on fire.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I liked you seriously contemplating skill choices at the end in spite of the fact that you were a point short of just buying out the entire row the second you unlocked it.

VVVVVVVVVVVV
I figured it was because you wanted to give the game a skill progression that didn't dump a bunch of skills on you at once, allowing you to show off the individual skills better :shrug:

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 9, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

FoolyCharged posted:

I liked you seriously contemplating skill choices at the end in spite of the fact that you were a point short of just buying out the entire row the second you unlocked it.

Yeah, I fix that in the next video. No idea why I didn't react to the reality there, the second the recording ended I knew I hosed up.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I might suggest you try the next freeroam video at night, so you can show off the 'fun' Mordor has when the sun goes down!

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 9, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I did a bit more recording the other day, and after we killed Borgu we got a single new orc, so our current roster looks like this:

Free Roam video for tomorrow, probably. If you want to seen new orcs in the mix now's the time to mention it so we can do a poll for the end of the week. As per usual, all orcs we've voted on recently (Dush, Grisha, Ushgol and Pushkrimp) will automatically have polls made for them, so don't worry about trying to get them back in the running or anything.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Permakill Jaws for not being just James Bond's Jaws with greenish skin.

How can he even bite anything with that thing on?!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mehuyael posted:

Permakill Jaws for not being just James Bond's Jaws with greenish skin.

How can he even bite anything with that thing on?!

No, don't, he looks awesome and I want to hear how he talks. Instead, he should be tempkilled every time we see him just to get him more and more messed up.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Polaron posted:

No, don't, he looks awesome and I want to hear how he talks. Instead, he should be tempkilled every time we see him just to get him more and more messed up.

He looks like a poor man's Dark Knight Rises Bane, who looks like a poor man's Hannibal Lecter.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Polaron posted:

I'm with this guy.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Too many archers - looks like the herd needs thinning.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Polaron posted:

this

I hope he got the voiceset where he does nothing but Inhale through his nose and clack his teeth together while glaring at you intently.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Yeah Jaws looks awesome, he honestly looks like nemesis material to me.

Dush and Pushkrim are of course the lovable pair of villains that don't accomplish much, but the fans love so they stick around despite all the destruction around them.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Kurieg posted:

this

I hope he got the voiceset where he does nothing but Inhale through his nose and clack his teeth together while glaring at you intently.

I choose to believe that that was originally a bug with the voice sets and once they realized it they decided it was perfect that way, and nothing you or anyone else can say will convince me otherwise.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yes, keep the orc fellow with the braces in power

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I like the text the game has for the orc's motivation sometimes. Like Jaws here. "Listening closely to the voices in his head. Wishing they would agree more often."

I kind of like him. I say you try not to permakill him, but other than that, kick him around a bit. He has a fear of flies. Maybe play with that a bit.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Permakill Nazdug Lice-Head with stealth attacks if you can. He hasn't had a fight in three days and he never will again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kaosdrachen posted:

I choose to believe that that was originally a bug with the voice sets and once they realized it they decided it was perfect that way, and nothing you or anyone else can say will convince me otherwise.

I think it's a deliberate reference to the movies. There are plenty of teeth-clacking orcs/uruks between the three of them.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Keep Jaws alive, but go on a killing spree with all the captains.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Keep Jaws alive, but go on a killing spree with all the captains.

If people really want to see something like this I'm not opposed to calling a vote on it. We would vote on this first and then if it fails go and vote on the specific captains.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm not saying kill everyone, but if you come across a captain that hasn't specifically been put on a do not kill list, I think you should use your discretion on what you should do with them. I think running away from captains is bad policy. Run away from the dudes we really want to promote, temp-kill the temp kill guys, and kill the rest if you feel like it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

I'm not saying kill everyone, but if you come across a captain that hasn't specifically been put on a do not kill list, I think you should use your discretion on what you should do with them. I think running away from captains is bad policy. Run away from the dudes we really want to promote, temp-kill the temp kill guys, and kill the rest if you feel like it.

I really like this idea. If captains get too sparse, you can always make sure the chosen ones are safe from sidequests and then change the time of day.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

JT Jag posted:

Agreed, I think using your best judgement for the captains we haven't marked for something would be best. It allows you to go to town on more Orc bosses and throw your own wrenches into the mix and it allows you to do whatever you like with bosses we come across that havn't been marked,.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I would suggest permakilling boring/unremarkable captains in hope that someone more interesting springs up in their place.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Aumanor posted:

I would suggest permakilling boring/unremarkable captains in hope that someone more interesting springs up in their place.

Or, you know, horribly maiming them a few times to see if they develop interesting psychoses...

Bonsai Uruks, to to speak.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Basically use your own judgment with the dudes who are unspecified.

Persoanlly I suggest giving orcs who strike you as interesting on first glance a chance (by temp-killing them) but that's up to you.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
Honestly considering that enough parts of the videos are you going "Man I sure could buy all these if I had more power" I feel like just messing up a bunch of Captains at least temporarily so you can do mechanical progression would be an idea, and then just wait for them to come back and do the actual voting results.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

More Free Roam fun. From this video on out I'm going to do weapon legends at the end of the Free Roam videos so people can simply turn off if they don't care to see them or keep watching if they want to see what goes down. I figure that is a nice compromise between what we've been seeing and cutting them out into their own series of videos.

This video was recorded before the last vote we took, so you'll get to see how we promoted some people and how Borgu got his face plates. He's actually the second captain to get totally destroyed by the wildlife since we started playing, and he won't be the last. I've had guys halfway across the map that I didn't even have intel on get killed by a random Caragor, it's always sort of entertaining, but can be frustrating if you wanted the captain to live for whatever reason. But, hey, free runes, can't complain about that. At this point Caragors and one other monster we see in this video are probably the most deadly things we're going to go up against, so it only seems fitting they would be knocking out captains left and right. Once we start seeing high level enemies I'll occasionally wish for the days when Caragors were the biggest problem I had. I really wish they weren't such assholes to fight. If you swing at them in the front they'll bite your sword and throw you, if you dodge them half the time you are going to be out of range to hit them with a sword. If you try for more than a couple hits they'll bite you. Shooting them in the face is really the best option and for the most part it's drat effective, but early in the game the limited elf shot makes it hard to fight more than a single caragor at once.

Next video is story, for some reason when I played the campaign the first time I kept failing the mission and expected to this time as well, so I'm going to look dumber than usual.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
As you kind of noticed in the video, shooting those guys in that particular mission does not count towards your progress. It doesn't hurt anything, but the game won't count those kills. It has to be stealth kills of either the normal, ledge or drop-from-above variety. I started playing though the game again due to this LP, and I ran into that same thing. Shot a lot of orcs with arrows, got confused about why I wasn't done, realized the arrow kills weren't counting.

Another thing I've noticed is, it's hard to make sure an orc is dead forever, but it's actually pretty uncommon for them to come back when they're killed. I think if they aren't the nemesis, it's pretty unlikely. Sometimes they game will decide to just have the same orc come up again and again, but most of the time it doesn't matter how I kill them, they'll go away and get replaced.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

As you kind of noticed in the video, shooting those guys in that particular mission does not count towards your progress. It doesn't hurt anything, but the game won't count those kills. It has to be stealth kills of either the normal, ledge or drop-from-above variety. I started playing though the game again due to this LP, and I ran into that same thing. Shot a lot of orcs with arrows, got confused about why I wasn't done, realized the arrow kills weren't counting.
One nice thing about it, though, is that while only specific kills are accepted, unless the game clearly states otherwise, killing an enemy through other means is not an instant mission fail.
And one other nice element is that when you have a "kill x type of enemy" they eventually repopulate: in the video it can be seen in the minimap that suddenly yellow objective enemies appear back in the same place where Lazyfire killed the first couple of archers.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh hey, you found that one rune I mentioned earlier that completely breaks the bow. And it looks like you've got a couple of focus upgrades for basically infinite nearly stopped time should you use it.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
You are correct, by the way; the elf wraith always says the first line of that poem -Nan iChir Gelair Mordor - until you get the entire Ithildin mural filled out, at which point it forms a cohesive 'memory', and playing it will have him recite it in its' entirety. That'll be worth playing when you get the entire thing!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are you going to do all the outcast missions for this one? It does have a culminating mission, IIRC.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outside of Jaws there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in going after any particular orcs right now. Luckily, I have a clever plan. After the last video there were a couple suggestions about what to do with the majority of the orcs that the thread hasn't voted on. One was to enact a complete purge of all orcs not voted on thus far, there was a more popular suggestion that I just deal with them as I see fit, which will probably see me killing a few to rotate out some of the more boring orcs. I've put these two options in a poll along with a "don't do anything unless we say so" sort of option.

Overall Orc Poll

Any new orcs that spring up from this will be detailed in a future post so they can be voted on before I continue on doing what I want/start the purge over again.

Because there was only one new suggestion I'm going to throw up the voting on it now and we'll get to the returning captains for the end of the week, otherwise I may have ended up purging or killing a guy people want to see stick around.

How do we handle our new pal Jaws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Suggested LP rule: When you run out of Orc Politics activities you want to do and feel like advancing time to get new guys on the board, you aren't allowed to just advance time. You must allow an Orc to kill you, preferably a non-captain. Caveat to this is that you're allowed to pick the Orc that does. So track down an Orc that you think looks cool and give him a shot at being a captain.

• Locked thread