Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm proud of you for posting this thread g0lbez :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

To add a few more relevant details, g0lbez:
-has no debt (yay!)
-does not have a job offer in hand for the second job, and his wife is not currently employed
-is 27 years old

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

g0lbez posted:

Of course, that's why I made the thread because I recognize it might be a risky decision but I've not been told how risky aside from it's essentially gambling.

That's a damning quote but it's about the oil trade which doesn't have much relevancy on NTDOY

Maybe this will help.

Nintendo is currently sitting at $18.69/share. What does that price represent? Why is the price at that particular number, and not $14.50 or $26.65 or any other number? Think about it, and then scroll down.

The answer is not that $18.69 is the "correct" valuation of Nintendo in any objective sense. Rather, it means that the market as a whole thinks that Nintendo is worth $18.69. But of course not everybody is in lockstep with the market average. Rather, there are lots of people (smart and dumb, rich and not-so-rich, risky and risk-averse) who think that Nintendo is underpriced to some degree. There are also lots of people who think that Nintendo is overpriced to some degree. The fact that the stock price fluctuates over time represents the fact that sometimes the underpriced crew is buying and sometimes the overpriced crew is selling.

Over time, of course, some of these people will be proven right and will make money. But that means that the other group is going to be proven wrong and will lose money. Remember, both groups have lots of people who have been doing this for a longer time than you, have better training in this sort of thing than you, and research the company more thoroughly than you. And some of these really smart really experienced people are still going to lose!

With that being the case, what gives you the confidence that you're picking with the right group of geniuses?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

g0lbez posted:

Well from my experience working tech support for smart phone games I would say the market is absolutely loving nuts and that people ask me for "mario games" on the appstore on at least a daily basis. Revenue wise I'm not going to pretend I have exact numbers or anything.

I would agree that the market seems hot to me. But here's the thing: assuming that that's correct, the stock market has already priced this in. In other words, the stock price for companies involved in the smart phone game business isn't the stock price of companies that are about to take off, it's the stock price of companies that are already taking off.

So what AgrippaNothing is asking is not "are people gonna continue to play lots of smart phone games", it's "how much is that market gonna grow, and how much of that growth is the specific company of Nintendo going to capture relative to peers?"

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

Do a google search for GTAT

I can't find it in my chatlogs but I think g0lbez held some GTAT during their crash :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I thought that was Richard Gamingo

He definitely did too, but I feel like I talked with g0lbez about gtat. I may be misremembering though.

• Locked thread