Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
At this point if you don't buy a playstation 4, take time off of work, and drop out of college to play this game, you're a loving idiot. I take back all the idiot gay poo poo I said in the other thread about values or whatever.

Seriously. All the people like SHOULD I GET A PS4 FOR THIS GAAAAME? the question you're really asking: as a beta bitch stupid rear end garbage boy, should I participate in the universal cultural experience that bloodborne ALREADY IS? dduuhhhhhhhhhhhhh i dunno do u like things that are good? or things that suck poo poo out of a clowns rear end?

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Anime Curator posted:

Let's face it, Bloodborne is going to be a drat good game. A drat good game that I need to get used to. I've played Demon/Dark SOuls, but this is a whole new level. I need to get my feel, my taste, for Bloodborne.

I'm really glad I got so used to playing aggressively with powerstance in Dark Souls 2. If I were still leaning on shooting anime lasers out of my big dumb anime sword or hiding behind a shield I'd probably have a really hard time. People that sat back and tanked are gonna have a hard time adjusting, I think.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing I'm worried about is the limited amount of weapons. I'm wondering if its going to feel "deep" enough in the RPG elements to encourage multiple playthroughs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Does anyone know if there's a respec item similar to Soul Vessels? It'd be nice not having to reroll my character because I went in completely blind.

Also, how viable is dex... Well I guess "skill"? I only know of the threaded cane and generally I play using the Uchigatana.

As far as I know, there's no Soul Vessel equivalent this time around.

And I'm also curious about Skill. I know that (weapon spoilers) there's a katana and it's basically the Bewitched Alonne Sword, but beyond that I don't know that much. I'm tempted to start with the Threaded Cane, but I also want to level Arcane and everything I'm seeing suggests that'll work better with Strength than Skill. (It remains to be seen how blood gems can change that, of course.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember asking this in the previous thread, but no one really had an answer at the time. Is this going to be like Dark Souls 2 where you can farm an area until the monsters in that area stop respawning?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I said come in! posted:

I remember asking this in the previous thread, but no one really had an answer at the time. Is this going to be like Dark Souls 2 where you can farm an area until the monsters in that area stop respawning?

There's been zero indication of that, thankfully.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

That girl could have been your future wife........................

If she is to be your future wife, she'll understand.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It seems to be using DeS style archstones, though, so if you want to reset all the enemies without dying, you'll have to port to the hub and back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CuddlyZombie posted:

There's been zero indication of that, thankfully.

I was actually kinda hoping that would be in, but it's not something I care passionately about one way or the other.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

One thing I'm worried about is the limited amount of weapons. I'm wondering if its going to feel "deep" enough in the RPG elements to encourage multiple playthroughs.

I was worried about that too at first, but it seems like they just removed all the extra variants of the same weapon and just made each individual weapon more unique. I'd rather have 1 halberd with a kick-rear end moveset than 4 halberd that either chop-thrust or thrust-chop.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I said come in! posted:

I was actually kinda hoping that would be in, but it's not something I care passionately about one way or the other.

Oh, sorry. Personally I found it really stressful because some items had so low drop rates as it was. But I can see why some people would have preferred it.

I like that they eventually patched it in to be optional in DS2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Flytrap posted:

I was worried about that too at first, but it seems like they just removed all the extra variants of the same weapon and just made each individual weapon more unique. I'd rather have 1 halberd with a kick-rear end moveset than 4 halberd that either chop-thrust or thrust-chop.

Yeah, this is actually better. Unless the devs could come up with some more variations of each weapon type that were all unique in some specific way.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

*sits in the gamer throne with controller while staring very angrily at tv* im ready to game

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Add me

PSN id: mgvsquared

Hurry up time. :argh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

Oh, sorry. Personally I found it really stressful because some items had so low drop rates as it was. But I can see why some people would have preferred it.

I like that they eventually patched it in to be optional in DS2

The fact that you had a limited amount of chances to get some things to drop really sucked, honestly.

chajusong
Oct 18, 2002
Add me up gameboys.

PSN: perfect_juche

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Questions for anyone who's played:

1. How powerful can guns become if you level Bloodtinge a bunch? Do they remain mostly parrying tools but with a little extra oomph, or do they actually do noticeable damage?

2. What's the deal with blood bullets? Are they any stronger/weaker/different than regular bullets, or just a way to get more bullets if you run out?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

How do you parry with the pistol?

BrotherFish
Jul 25, 2007
I want to kill things with other people too!

PSN: BrotherFish

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

queeb posted:

Well, not literally "parrying," but I know a lot of early gameplay showed using guns to stagger enemies by shooting them when they're winding up for an attack. (Or is that just for heavier guns, like the blunderbuss, and not the pistol?)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

queeb posted:

Same way you do it with a shield, except at range. Shoot when an enemy is winding up to hit you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

From the way the OP describes it you parry just like you would with a shield in the previous games, except in Bloodborne you're shooting the enemy instead of literally parrying. If you time it right the enemy will fall down and be vulnerable to a riposte. The riposte has some kind of specific name, "visceral attack", something like that.

LurkinGhost
Oct 9, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Does anyone know if there's a respec item similar to Soul Vessels? It'd be nice not having to reroll my character because I went in completely blind.

Also, how viable is dex... Well I guess "skill"? I only know of the threaded cane and generally I play using the Uchigatana.

Skill weapons seem to be viable at mid-end game as a lot of skill weapons seem to only become available at that point. So far going on base stats there are 5 skill weapons I'm gonna count the rifle spear as a skill weapon, 6 strength weapons, 1 bloodtinge weapon the katana and 3 quality weapons (scales equally with strength and skill for those who are new to the souls like games). Of the 5 skill weapons I think you can only get 2 before you get half way through the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

No, monsters respawn every time you hop ot the hunter's dream and come back. You can farm infinitely if you want.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This has been bugging me since the Souls games, but why are Str/Dex weapons called "Quality"? It seems like it was always better to go all in on either one or the other, and the Str/Dex weapons were never as good as all Str or all Dex. So why that moniker?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm really glad I got so used to playing aggressively with powerstance in Dark Souls 2. If I were still leaning on shooting anime lasers out of my big dumb anime sword or hiding behind a shield I'd probably have a really hard time. People that sat back and tanked are gonna have a hard time adjusting, I think.

I'm going to have to skip a couple of steps in my usual Souls gameplay progression with this one. It usually goes:

1. Start with some kind of magic (Royal, Pyromancer, Sorcerer in order) and use it to trivialize a lot of early enemies and bosses
2. Slowly get bored with the spell selection and rely more on whatever melee weapon I've been using as a backup
3. Get annoyed with myself and frantically search around for a way to make my melee weapon(s) scale with all those points I sunk into Magic/Intelligence
4. End up going almost entirely melee (Moon Uchigatana, MLGS, Watcher Greatsword in order) with no shield except for parrying by the end

Just going to have to skip straight to step 4 this time. And yet I'm still probably going to level the "magic" stat. One thing that remains to be seen is if I'm going to break myself of my love of fast weapons early on and go Strength this time, or if I'm going to start with the Threaded Cane.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 23, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Fhqwhgads posted:

This has been bugging me since the Souls games, but why are Str/Dex weapons called "Quality"? It seems like it was always better to go all in on either one or the other, and the Str/Dex weapons were never as good as all Str or all Dex. So why that moniker?

Because in Demon's souls that was the upgraded path that scaled evenly with Str and Dex. The name stuck even though the quality upgrade path no longer exists.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fhqwhgads posted:

Demons souls had a Quality upgrade path that raised scaling from both

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

queeb posted:

You shoot them during a vulnerable point in their animation. If you do it right the enemy falls over stunned and can be visceral attacked.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

That's just what the Dex/Str balance upgrade path was called in Demons' Souls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LurkinGhost posted:

Skill weapons seem to be viable at mid-end game as a lot of skill weapons seem to only become available at that point. So far going on base stats there are 5 skill weapons I'm gonna count the rifle spear as a skill weapon, 6 strength weapons, 1 bloodtinge weapon the katana and 3 quality weapons (scales equally with strength and skill for those who are new to the souls like games). Of the 5 skill weapons I think you can only get 2 before you get half way through the game.

Any that scale particularly well with Arcane, or is it always a secondary/tertiary stat (and/or something you have to rely on blood gems for)?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Fhqwhgads posted:

*Scrambles into the thread, almost tripping over the dog, out of breath* D-demon's souls! upgrade path!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wait if you get the PSN version does that mean you can play at midnight???

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Eej posted:

yeah. PSN is having maintenance today though so online may still be dead when the game unlocks.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Eej posted:

Or 9:00 PM if you live in sunny California.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lmao Genocyber got probated already

Sharzak posted:

At this point if you don't buy a playstation 4, take time off of work, and drop out of college to play this game, you're a loving idiot. I take back all the idiot gay poo poo I said in the other thread about values or whatever.

One of us, one of us, gooble gobble gooble gobble. :dance:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Speaking of quality builds, how viable would it be (for a first runthrough, non optimized build) to mainly lvl strength and skill, with the goal of getting to try out all the weapons? Would I be crippling myself by not leveling bloodtinge/arcane much?

Also my PSN is Lord_Flaps. hope you guys don't parting shot out of my world when I don't have voice chat options :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
PSN SpacePrez lets loving do this poo poo

Space Hamlet posted:

*Scrambles into the thread, almost tripping over the dog, out of breath* D-demon's souls! upgrade path!

Haha, massively beaten. But I wanted to add to this, I too spent all of Dark 1 and Dark 2 wondering why people called STR/DEX a "quality" build. How did everybody come up with the same obscure term? Then I played Demon's Souls and all made sense. :downs:

Upgrading in demon's was a bit more complex than dark, which was a bit more complex than dark 2. I kinda liked the simplicity of dark 2's upgrade paths though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Has anyone fought that horrifying cthulhu spider monster I saw floating around? That's one of the only things that's got me terrified in this game :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Fhqwhgads posted:

Str/Dex weapons were never as good as all Str or all Dex.

Excuuuuse me princess, someone never got a Balder Side Sword.

You're right in DSII though

• Locked thread