Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

havenwaters posted:

yeah. PSN is having maintenance today though so online may still be dead when the game unlocks.

Maintenance is over in a few hours, and even if it was still ongoing you'd be able to play online. PSN doesn't block online play during maintenance so long as you log in at some point 24 hours before the maintenance starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Speaking of quality builds, how viable would it be (for a first runthrough, non optimized build) to mainly lvl strength and skill, with the goal of getting to try out all the weapons? Would I be crippling myself by not leveling bloodtinge/arcane much?

Also my PSN is Lord_Flaps. hope you guys don't parting shot out of my world when I don't have voice chat options :)

Honestly I can't recommend leveling strength and skill in a game like this. Seems like a waste of points, but I have been told that stats don't matter nearly as much as they did in DeS/DaS. It was acceptable to level both back when you needed both stats to wield certain shields and certain weapons, but now it's basically a choice once you get both stats to ten.

I've been hearing some rumors about being able to respec, but I'm not quite sure how reliable that information is.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Psn is Delaio

Only 12 hours remain, gotta go stock up on food for this 3 day marathon I've got planned.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of quality builds, how viable would it be (for a first runthrough, non optimized build) to mainly lvl strength and skill, with the goal of getting to try out all the weapons? Would I be crippling myself by not leveling bloodtinge/arcane much?

Also my PSN is Lord_Flaps. hope you guys don't parting shot out of my world when I don't have voice chat options :)

I do wonder how much wiggle room there'll be with stats this time around. One of the weapons I'm interested in is quality (A/A Str/Skill at max upgrade, I think) with secondary Arcane scaling (B at max). And I want to be able to actually use guns, of course, which seems to necessitate at least some investment in Bloodtinge. Oh, and let's not forget that HP and Stamina are, y'know... a thing. So I really have no idea what I'm going to do, stats-wise. I know I at least want one of Str or Skill to go along with Arcane as a secondary stat, but beyond that, I suppose it depends on how thin I feel like spreading myself.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao Genocyber got probated already

That's what happens when you don't step it up in the Shitposter gaming challenge.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Well that clears it up :v:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Nah you'll be fine with strength/skill. You can't really gimp yourself too hard in this game unless you just dump tons of points into something like arcane and nothing else. People who min/max their first character in these games are retarded so do whatever you want.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Danger posted:

Or 9:00 PM if you live in sunny California.

I live in Arizona but this still applies to me.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Am I going to be able to just play the tutorial while the rest of the game is downloaded like all the other Day 1 Release games I've downloaded from PSN? That poo poo loving sucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Chingon posted:

Am I going to be able to just play the tutorial while the rest of the game is downloaded like all the other Day 1 Release games I've downloaded from PSN? That poo poo loving sucks.

Pre-loading is available right now if you bought digital. So you'll have the whole game ready to go before launch.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

So my plan is to get to a Gamestop early, and by early I mean after work and request they give me a copy of Bloodborne at around 9PM. The reason being I live on the west coast and by 9PM it would be midnight on the east coast. It's worked for me so far digitally, but here I am hoping I can physically get a copy at around 9PM tonight. I really don't see a problem with that since as I take it, brick and mortar stores are struggling to keep up with digital sales. If any problems do occur, I'll just bring up that little tidbit. I'll just bring up that I didn't have to show up @midnight to get my LBBW 3DS/game.

LurkinGhost
Oct 9, 2014

Harrow posted:

Any that scale particularly well with Arcane, or is it always a secondary/tertiary stat (and/or something you have to rely on blood gems for)?

Its hard to say at this point, I'm thinking its a secondary stat but there might be one weapon that naturally has a higher arcane scaling when its upgraded the Tonitrus since it is an electric mace and arcane increases "bolt" damage .

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, I can't wait until the game unlocks so I can spend hours fiddling with character creation and trying to pick a class instead of actually playing the game.

The new origins are throwing me off: I've started off as a Wanderer/Swordsman for 3 games in a row, now what am I supposed to do?

Oh, the OP mentions that you can pick one of the three starters, but you can get the other later, right? Because I'm in love with the cleaver-saw, but dangit I want that dapper cane-whip.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just got a mail from the local shop that I bought the collector's edition from saying that their shipment is delayed and they wouldn't get it before the end of the week, and gently caress that so PRE-ORDER CANCELLED.

I then bought a couple of gift cards and got the US digital version for about $50 cheaper than if I had bought the EU physical collector's edition and I don't care too much about the extra stuff either way, AND I get to play it a day earlier, so it works out. Assuming this PSN download can actually finish within the next 12 hours.

Say, would I be able to play the game on my regular EU account if the game is already unlocked on my US one? The two show different unlock times, so I'm assuming not, but it's just for trophy purposes anyway so who cares.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

12 loving HOURS LETS DOOOOOOOO THHIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS :getin:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Flytrap posted:

The new origins are throwing me off: I've started off as a Wanderer/Swordsman for 3 games in a row, now what am I supposed to do?

Waste of skin. Should have never been born.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

PSN: GreenCalx3

Picking my copy up tomorrow morning, super hype to play this game. Also looking forward to hopefully co-oping with some goons.

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
I went to the gym this morning so I can play bloodbourne right at nine. Sadly I didn't take PTO tomorrow for I am truly casual filth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LurkinGhost posted:

Its hard to say at this point, I'm thinking its a secondary stat but there might be one weapon that naturally has a higher arcane scaling when its upgraded the Tonitrus since it is an electric mace and arcane increases "bolt" damage .

That makes sense, then.

Do you know how much effect blood gems have on scaling? (I'm asking because it sounds like you've either played the game or seen a whole lot of streams.) I'm wondering if it's possible to customize up the equivalent of Demon's Souls's Moon weapons, which were surprisingly awesome for being normal weapons forced to scale with Magic.

(I'm spoilering just in case this game's version of the other Souls games' upgrade system is considered spoilery.)

Basically, the thing I'm going back and forth on is whether I want to focus on Strength or Skill to go with my secondary Arcane. Strength because most of the naturally Arcane weapons, like Ludwig's Holy Blade and probably that lightning mace use Strength, and Skill because the Threaded Cane looks fun as hell to start with and drat if I don't love fast weapons (plus, if that dagger that lets you teleport around that we saw in one trailer doesn't scale with Arcane, I don't know poo poo about gently caress). Of course, if the game's lenient enough with leveling that I can make a quality build and still have enough Arcane to get decent use out of the crazy Arcane gadget items, that solves my problem right there.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 23, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ObesePriest posted:

I went to the gym this morning so I can play bloodbourne right at nine. Sadly I didn't take PTO tomorrow for I am truly casual filth.

I am going to the gym after a round of bloodborne.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OxMan posted:

Waste of skin. Should have never been born.

What is a goon? A miserable little pile of souls. But enough talk, have at you!

Man I hope Dracula is in this game.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Bringing my Vita to remote play at the Gym.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
I'll be roleplaying as Simon Belmont and slaying any goons who want to throw down in the lasertag gauntlet, PSN is jwei_11k

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Flytrap posted:

Professional is closest to wanderer/swordsman.

Usually I go for a Dex build for my first playthrough but I'm torn in this game because of the new trick weapon system and I think the starter axe looks way cooler than the cane.

What do the NPCs call the Player Character in this game btw? I'm guessing "Hunter"? I don't know what to name my first character. Like the player character in the last three games was called Slayer of Demons, Chosen Undead, Bearer of the Curse respectively.

Bane
Aug 30, 2009
Please add me to the PSN list.

PSN: Bane52

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
PSN: Javes

I would also like to play this game with goons.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Professional is closest to wanderer/swordsman.

Usually I go for a Dex build for my first playthrough but I'm torn in this game because of the new trick weapon system and I think the starter axe looks way cooler than the cane.

What do the NPCs call the Player Character in this game btw? I'm guessing "Hunter"? I don't know what to name my first character. Like the player character in the last three games was called Slayer of Demons, Chosen Undead, Bearer of the Curse respectively.

beast master

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Pre-loading is available right now if you bought digital. So you'll have the whole game ready to go before launch.

This is the way it should work. But from my experience, you download only a part of the whole game (normally the first chapter, tutorial or first level), and the rest of the game is downloaded in the background. This has happend to me with Evolve, Dragon Age, The Last of Us and Shadow of Mordor.

The rest of the game cannot be downloaded before release day. For some games the rest of the game is a full 20GB in size, which makes it total garbage as you can only play the first level and then wait for my slow rear end internet connection to download the rest. :negative:

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Added the lot of you. Too lazy to use the phone app to mass-add I used a keyboard in the PS4 with ctrl+c ctrl+v to add a message. Phew.

Hakkesshu posted:

Say, would I be able to play the game on my regular EU account if the game is already unlocked on my US one? The two show different unlock times, so I'm assuming not, but it's just for trophy purposes anyway so who cares.

I'm in the same seat and I say yes. Should just be a visual glitch but I will be on my US account only the moment it unlocks (and maybe decrypts?), get in once to create system data, then close it and jump onto my EU account, just to be safe.

e: Checking the information tab on my US pre-downloaded BB on my EU account, it's only the ticker that shows the EU release. "Valid Period (Start)" correctly lists the time of midnight eastern.

LurkinGhost
Oct 9, 2014

Harrow posted:

That makes sense, then.

Do you know how much effect blood gems have on scaling? (I'm asking because it sounds like you've either played the game or seen a whole lot of streams.) I'm wondering if it's possible to customize up the equivalent of Demon's Souls's Moon weapons, which were surprisingly awesome for being normal weapons forced to scale with Magic.

(I'm spoilering just in case this game's version of the other Souls games' upgrade system is considered spoilery.)

Basically, the thing I'm going back and forth on is whether I want to focus on Strength or Skill to go with my secondary Arcane. Strength because most of the naturally Arcane weapons, like Ludwig's Holy Blade and probably that lightning mace use Strength, and Skill because the Threaded Cane looks fun as hell to start with and drat if I don't love fast weapons (plus, if that dagger that lets you teleport around that we saw in one trailer doesn't scale with Arcane, I don't know poo poo about gently caress). Of course, if the game's lenient enough with leveling that I can make a quality build and still have enough Arcane to get decent use out of the crazy Arcane gadget items, that solves my problem right there.

It's something I'll have to look into when I can, since I'm not one of the lucky few who managed to get an early copy, but I'm sure there's some way to get weapons up to at least a B scaling in arcane especially since I just found an item on the wiki that has an S scaling in arcane.http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Tiny+Tonitrus

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Chingon posted:

This is the way it should work. But from my experience, you download only a part of the whole game (normally the first chapter, tutorial or first level), and the rest of the game is downloaded in the background. This has happend to me with Evolve, Dragon Age, The Last of Us and Shadow of Mordor.

The rest of the game cannot be downloaded before release day. For some games the rest of the game is a full 20GB in size, which makes it total garbage as you can only play the first level and then wait for my slow rear end internet connection to download the rest. :negative:

Am I the only one experiencing this?

I am downloading 25GB right now for Bloodborne, but I remember reading that Bloodborne is going to be 45GB. That must be some sort of European edition of the game though with multiple languages. From what I can tell, digital pre-orders will have the entire game ready to go before launch.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I wasn't planning on buying this because I played Dark Souls for a few hours and couldn't get into it but watching some streams makes it look really fun so now I'm on the fence about it. The little differences in the gameplay with the gun and the melee weapons may be enough for me to give it a try.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

I wasn't planning on buying this because I played Dark Souls for a few hours and couldn't get into it but watching some streams makes it look really fun so now I'm on the fence about it. The little differences in the gameplay with the gun and the melee weapons may be enough for me to give it a try.

I've always been really bad at the Souls games. I only ever beat Demon's Souls once. But the new co-op options, pvp, and randomly generated dungeon feature is making me pick this up.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

I said come in! posted:

I've always been really bad at the Souls games. I only ever beat Demon's Souls once. But the new co-op options, pvp, and randomly generated dungeon feature is making me pick this up.

There is a randomly generated dungeon thing in Bloodborne? Man, the stuff I've missed avoiding spoilers...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Crossbar posted:

There is a randomly generated dungeon thing in Bloodborne? Man, the stuff I've missed avoiding spoilers...

A randomly generated dungeon with unique enemies, unique bosses, yet it's still all optional. It would be $30+ of DLC had it been a western developed and published game.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

A randomly generated dungeon with unique enemies, unique bosses, yet it's still all optional. It would be $30+ of DLC had it been a western developed and published game.

What are you even blabbering about

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

NotAnArtist posted:

12 loving HOURS LETS DOOOOOOOO THHIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS :getin:

Super excited. I've avoided spoilers and whatnot so really everything I know is in the OP. Going into this one fully unprepared.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

I said come in! posted:

I am downloading 25GB right now for Bloodborne, but I remember reading that Bloodborne is going to be 45GB. That must be some sort of European edition of the game though with multiple languages. From what I can tell, digital pre-orders will have the entire game ready to go before launch.

I'd guess it decompresses to 45GB, there isn't an extra 20GB of languages in the euro versions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MZ posted:

I'd guess it decompresses to 45GB, there isn't an extra 20GB of languages in the euro versions.

I don't believe PS4 games use compression. I haven't noticed any games increase in size after their full downloads were complete. This was a thing with the PS3 though but only due to technical limitations in its file system. The Xbox 360 would decompress games on the fly while downloading them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

If you're bad just summon people. Its the hidden difficulty option of the Souls series. Solo = Hard, Summon 1 phantom = Normal, Summon 2 phantoms = Easy.

There's gonna be a poo poo ton of goons happy to help people stomp the early bosses if they get stuck :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're bad just summon people. Its the hidden difficulty option of the Souls series. Solo = Hard, Summon 1 phantom = Normal, Summon 2 phantoms = Easy.

There's gonna be a poo poo ton of goons happy to help people stomp the early bosses if they get stuck :black101:

Exactly. I'm gonna do a lot of co-op. I hope I can do pvp too. I always wanted to do a lot of pvp in the souls games, but the way it worked in those made it painful, and connecting to other players game sessions would fail constantly.

• Locked thread