Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

queeb posted:

Regarding getting the stake driver the guy you fight that has it wrecked the poo poo out of me probably 5 times with it before I beat him. You don't get the weapon from him, just unlock the ability to purchase it. Probably havent seen anyone using it since it's decently expensive for where you are in the game at that point.

I love that guy, he's such a shithead in exactly the way a player-hunter would be. Forces you up to his arena which is small and favors the poo poo out of his weapon choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I remember asking this in the previous thread, but no one really had an answer at the time. Is this going to be like Dark Souls 2 where you can farm an area until the monsters in that area stop respawning?

No, monsters respawn every time you hop ot the hunter's dream and come back. You can farm infinitely if you want.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

queeb posted:

How do you parry with the pistol?

You shoot them during a vulnerable point in their animation. If you do it right the enemy falls over stunned and can be visceral attacked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your way works too posted:

It's only mandatory if you want to use guns. There are two-handed weapons and shields of some kind exist.

Even then it isn't mandatory. If all you care about is the parrying aspect your default blunderbuss/pistol can do the job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love parrying in Bloodborne so much. I won't say you have to fall in love with parrying but it feels so good. and is incredibly effective.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of which, while there is an HP cost for blood bullets, it is treated the same as regular damage. Meaning, if you activate the action and immediately wail on a nearby enemy, you can regain most of the HP and minimize the cost.

Yeah, at the start of a session you should find a weak enemy, pop blood bullets and pound their face in. It gives you a nice effectively-free buffer on bullets.

Also in terms of farming items: the left shortcut next to the second lantern leads to a house with an enemy who always drops 4 Quicksilver Bullets. The brutes outside almost always drop 2~ blood vials easy and are absurdly easy to kill with parry attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Are blood bullets any different (weaker/stronger/different effects) from normal ones, or just a way to get more if you're desperate?

I noticed no meaningful difference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neraren posted:

I know it is entirely possible that nobody has an answer to this question yet, but after picking a starting weapon, is there any way to get the other weapons later? I'm a packrat in Souls games and always want to collect all the things.

Yes. You can buy the other items from the story very very quickly. You need to find an item in the world but it's pretty easy to find. You can get it before the first boss if you go out of your way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

e: The game has been in the hands of reviewers since at least last Tuesday and a ton of reviews won't be ready for the embargo release. Are they going through Chalice business and PvP or what the?

It may just be that a lot of reviewers had trouble getting very far and were slow going. This is entirely anecdotal but beyond a certain point in the online-capable review builds you saw the number of messages and bloodstains plummet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Oh drat. I wish I knew what that time was like for Demons's, DS1, DS2.
(Overall hints over twitter from reviewers indicate lots of love at least)

It was the same for all of them.

Atlus PR was super nervous about Demon's Souls. They offers tons of help and assistance and were very clearly terrified that the high difficulty would drive review scores into the ground. It was really easy to see the spot where people started to give up there. (Not long after the first boss).

Dark Souls had people getting further but it was still clear when people started to trickle off.

It's a hard franchise to review because you can't take your time with it. I think it's a mark to its quality that it still gets high review scores despite that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 23, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bazanga posted:

Anyone preloading this on the PSN and getting godawful speeds? I'm on a 5 MB/s connection getting only 80 KB/s download speeds. At this rate it won't finish preloading until like noon tomorrow. :psyduck:

Try pausing the download for a bit and then restarting it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes.

There are also plenty of great places to leave troll notes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SamBishop posted:

Yeah, they're a sub-sub-boss. You're sort of meant to realize they aren't something you should tangle with solo -- so much so that the beta let you have a partner take them on with you and it was STILL hard. There's another way past them, explore a little more and then come back and wreck their poo poo.

Or just throw a pebble at one, shotgun it to death and then take on the other. I didn't even realize I was apparently supposed to not fight them!

In terms of lanterns: Shortcuts are key. You're going to find a lot more shortcuts than you are lanterns, especially early on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Even as someone who ALWAYS used a shield, I found that the controls are really intuitive and fluid. The only problem is with how many blood vials I've wasted hitting Triangle instead of L1 to swap weapon style :v:

My own stupid problem is dumber.

I'm so so so goddamn used to reloading guns in games that I would occasionally instinctively hit square after firing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mailer posted:

So, the third boss. I've gotten him down to his final phase a bunch of times now (complete with 15 minutes of farming in between attempts, half of which is loading) and it always ends the same way. A few minutes of parries followed by a no tell instant kill. The game was incredible up to this point and it's starting to really annoy me.

He actually has a tell for that, he tenses up right before he does it. It's also only instant-kill if you're still at default health so you may want to boost your stats a bit.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wish you could alter buttons. For some reason my brain wants L1 to be gun. I have died twice by trying to stun an attacking enemy and accidentally switching my cane to whip :negative:.

Good news! The next PS4 patch includes system-wide button rebinding!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't get paranoid about using your bullets. Seriously. You can replenish them very easily and they are absurdly useful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

keyframe posted:

Can someone explain parrying to me? I have to shoot them with the gun just before their blow lands right? Do they go into an exaggerated stun animation if I successfully parry?

Yes. Basically imagine it as hitting them unaware when they're about to hit you. Enemies will slump over or otherwise be stunned. It does not last long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

keyframe posted:

Awesome thanks guys. I will practice it with that big cleaver guy at the beginning in the alley since he keeps kicking my rear end.

If you want to practice it easily do ti on the giant guys with bricks. They have huge parry windows.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've never played a Souls game so maybe this isn't how it works: shortcuts are far more abundant than lamps yea? I'm still working on clearing Central Yarnham. Just hit the bridge with the two werewolves.

Yes. Most lanterns lead to 2/3 shortcuts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And the grind prevention is starting to bite me in the rear end, after getting dunked on by the mob over and over now no one's dropping vials and I'm running horribly low

As a tip:

The mob is designed so that you can run right past them. Go up the stairs to the left, maybe pause for a second to regen stamina where the guy can't shoot you, run forward.

If you can unlock the shortcut through the house you find a place with easy bullet/vial farming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Dogs seem to have the same problem as earlier games, in that they damage you before they hit and when they die. :argh:

Keep in mind that you regen health even when attacking a corpse if it is before it falls. Taking hits to kill enemies is 100% a valid tactic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phoix posted:

Okay so third boss, blood-starved beast. Which attacks can you actually parry? I somehow did it once and I've tried to do it again but none of the attacks seem interruptable.

Almost all of them. He's actually got a ton of vulnerable periods. I know that isn't helpful but I wrecked his poo poo with parries. Just time it right before he hits. Even if you take the hit you can parry and recover the health.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm really bad. I'm not sure how to deal with the hunting party you start of near really. I used a handful of molotovs and stones but having 4-5 dudes ontop of me right out the gate seems really really excessive. Got all the way to shrek with a brick and pushed the wrong button and died. While it's my fault I'm now drained on things other then healing items and unsure how to handle this.

You have two options:

A) Take it slow and easy. Use pebbles (10 souls from the shopkeeps and dropped regularly) if you got 'em to trigger small groups of enemies.

B) Run past the fuckers. It's completely viable and you don't have to fight 'em.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

I'm having a great run, taking my time though.

2 questions:

1) I found the Saw Spear down by the Rats. How do I two hand stuff?

2) I notice the counters stop at 20 on my HUD for Blood Vials and Bullets. I can grab bullets more and EVENTUALLY it tells me I'm full. But I can keep grabbing vials but the number never goes higher. Am I dumb for grabbing vials when it's capped on my HUD at 20?

Capped vials go to your storage and will be replenished there automatically if you die. Keep grabbin'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Popular Human posted:

I'm really loving everything about this game except the Blood Vials and the broken co-op. The health system isn't BAD, Estus was just pretty much perfect already and it's annoying having to occasionally farm consumables between runs at a boss - it feels very un-Souls-y. Also I can't seem to connect with another person to save my life; in DS2 there were literally dozens of summon signs around every boss the first week the game came out, but I can't seem to find a single person to fight Father G with. This is a huge bummer, since my preferred way of handling bosses in DS2 was to hop into someone else's game and help them beat a boss 3-4 times until I felt comfortable enough to fight them solo. I hate running to a boss, dying, then having to run all the way back.

You have a constant renewable health resource in the Regain system. Vials are (of course) real good but you should get in the habit of learning to get health by by fighting instead of chugging health potions. Even (or especially) bosses have periods basically there to let you take a hit and keep on goin'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Okay, I give up. What the hell is the timing to actually stun the Cleric Beast? I can do okay until he starts jumping around, then it's just one giant cascade failure where I can't run & vial quickly enough to get back into the fray.

The trick with the Cleric Beast is not to run. He gets more aggressive and has harder to dodge attacks. Stay in his face unless you absolutely have to get away from him. His close-up moves are easier to dodge. If you take a hit just keep attacking.

Feenix posted:

Is there a window or technique for when I can recover health-on-hit?

It's for a short period after you take damage. (ANY form of damage, even fall damage or self-damage from bullets.)

It is almost perfectly as long a window as an enemy is stunned after a parry + a visceral attack animation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I bought each of the five weapons you first get access to (3 starter, spear, and kirkhammer) and I think the axe is the best even with a quality build. The extended mode does heavy damage and has a wide arc. I like the 1H kirkhammer a little better than the 1h axe but the hammer is way slower and with the min strength to use it I don't see much higher damage than the axe. Maybe it scales better but I'm spending upgrades on the axe now.

The Kirkhammer isn't that much stronger but I think it is better for stunlocking enemies. It seems to make them flinch a lot harder.

Soul Glo posted:

How soon do you need to buy the 10k item from the shop in Hunter's Dream? I just unlocked the shortcut in Old Yharnum, and I'm not sure if I should spend my 13k echoes on levelling or that 10k item so I don't have to farm just after the next boss or something.

I just bought it pretty early on. 10,000 isn't a lot. You can make that back in Old Yharnum real quick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

So are Blood Fragments a finite resource, or does there ever come a point where they become random drops?

They become random drops fairly quickly

Also can I say that I love how combat looks in this game? It looks visceral and stylish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stringbean posted:

If you use the Kirkhammer as a sword and supplement those attacks with the hammer - chain light attacks with the L1 change attack. You can stagger just about anything and come back at it with the sword before they can recover.

It's not for everybody but I've found my groove with the Kirkhammer

Yeah, I adored the Kirkhammer because I did the exact same thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overbite posted:

After a few hours and downing 2 bosses here are some thoughts from a cool guy:

Going back to the Demon's Souls style of finite healing is bad. I haven't hard to farm up vials yet but I did have to farm souls to buy bullets and it sucks. No fun, just tedious.

They really should have copied the Dark Souls 2 feature "use multiple soul items at once." Having to do them one at a time sucks.

I don't feel like practicing my gun parries because I'll just have to farm more bullets and that's bad.

The framerate and loading are terrible.

gimmie a hell yeah

You can get bullets for free with little effort. Wheelchair Man always drops 4. You also can get bullets in exchange for health at any time.

You can use multiple souls at once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Just started playing. Is there any disadvantage to using the weapon in an extended mode? I have the axe. I assume maybe less leverage?

It's two-handed so you can't gun-parry while doing so. For other weapons you're usually trading attack speed for damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

So what am I suppose to be doing now? I beat Father Gascone and [spoiler] I went up into that chapel with the safe haven guy but every route from there is a dead end? I explored underneath the tomb but it says the old city gates are locked. I went the other direction when heading to that tomb and got to the dead end overlooking the city and the big ball giant, and another door that's locked with a key. Then the other path leading out of the chapel is telling me it's locked with a device.

I've backtracked through the sewer and found no other branching paths leading off to other areas. Am I just suppose to buy the Hunter Chief Emblem at this point and head to that locked door next to the cathedral?

There's a path outside of the room that you missed. It's towards the left when you're inside the chapel with the creepy guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

EDIT: Or alternately, what is the quickest route to Gascione from any of the first three lanterns?

2nd lantern start:

Go through the left path. Walk down the left path with the two giant brick assholes. Walk past them to the elevator. Take it down. Walk up the ramp. let the fireball take out the enemies. It's a straight shot to Papa G from there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krinkle posted:

To do what, kill the old man and the two brick people for four vials, four bullets, every five minutes of loading time?

Go up and kill the werewolves on the bridge too. That's about ~4-6 vials right there. You also get +5 free bullets just by soaking health.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit that I much prefer having a smaller number of weapons that are all viable and useful and mostly distinctive to a larger number of weapons that have a lot of indistinct differences but YMMV. The loot collection aspect of (x) souls was never my favorite part.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I used the Threaded Cane through all of NG, then thought I'd switch to the Burial Blade in NG+, but honestly, I can't find anything I like better than the cane yet. I'm not sure if I can say it's an objectively great weapon, but it really, really clicks with me.

I think this is Bloodborne's strength. It has fewer weapons but they're pretty much universally viable and allow people to find one that clicks with them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjaiguana posted:

And if I'm constantly smashing my head against the brick wall of a particular boss, my blood is up. I want to win or die trying, again and again.

One thing I'll note is that taking a break after losing to a boss is actually something that can help you. If you're getting wrecked repeatedly enough to run through all your vials then you probably need to either take a break to compose yourself or rethink your strategy and/or equipment. Note how many people in this thread go "I couldn't beat this guy, went to bed and wrecked his face the next morning." Bashing your face against the wall repeatedly tends to make you do more poorly.

This isn't a defense or praise of the vial system but "I can't keep going at it until I succeed" isn't necessarily a flaw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are also transformation attacks and you can mix between the two.

I also really feel like the quantity argument misses a lot of what works about Souls games in favor of bigger numbers. Maybe I played the games differently from other people but I don't remember having dozens of unique weapons in the previous games. I remember having lower-tier weapons and ones I stuck with. Do people really want lovely disposable sword #83 back?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I'd agree with this argument more if they didn't remove whole weapon classes. Where's the Greataxe? The Burial Blade is hardly a Curved Greatsword, and nothing else comes close; what's worse is you have to get the true ending to even use it in NG! Hell, that logic applies to several different weapon classes, like the rapier and the curved sword (which you can only get early-game by killing an NPC and farming an absurd number of echoes.)

This isn't Dark Souls 3 and there are different weapons instead of different weapon classes. It''s fine to say that you miss as specific weapon but "they removed weapon classes" ignores that they're not the same games.

It's perfectly fine to say certain weapons should have been available earlier but "there isn't this exact weapon from Dark Souls" is a poor argument when the game is designed differently from Dark Souls. It also devalues the actual swapping and switching elements of the Trick Weapons in favor of shoehorning them into a specific class. (Not that there aren't a couple of weapons which have one form which is stronger than another.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 14, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

You're not reading his post. There are a number of weapon types which do not have any sort of representation in Bloodborne, which is an issue since BB is really not all that different from the previous games. As he says, there is no equivalent to a greataxe or an ultragreatsword, daggers aren't represented at all beyond the untransformed Blade of Mercy kind of having some dagger-like moves, among others. And then there's the other issue of there being only one of each type, so if you want a Rapier type weapon you're forced to go through much of the game's content before you can get the one weapon with that style of moveset.

I did read his post. You didn't read mine. The weapon design in Dark Souls and Bloodborne is different. Ignoring the trick aspect of weapons in favor of trying to pigeonhole them into classes is what I mean by "this isn't Dark Souls 3." As I said, it's fine to wish weapons were available earlier (and I think that's a valid complaint) but "I want to use a rapier class weapon" instead of "I want to use (X)" ignores part of the strength of Bloodborne's weapon design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

BB's weapon design is not much different from that of the previous games. The only real difference is compressing weapons so you get ones that are a bit more complicated, but at the cost of higher variety.

And that goes back to what I said before about variety not necessarily being the better thing. Yeah, Bloodborne doesn't have (specific Souls thing here) but Souls doesn't have (specific Bloodborne thing here.) They're different games with different focuses. Lord knows going back to DS2 after playing Bloodborne made me miss a fair bit of things BB did.

• Locked thread