Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Fhqwhgads posted:

Str/Dex weapons were never as good as all Str or all Dex.

Excuuuuse me princess, someone never got a Balder Side Sword.

You're right in DSII though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Has anyone figured out beast transformation, and what exactly that is?. I'm surprised something that appears to be attached to a core game stat hasn't been figured out yet. My bets are it has something to do with New Game +

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Holy god drat do I love the boss fights in this game. They are so god drat visceral and frenetic. They're like DS1 boss fights on speed.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I didn't find Eileen before killing BSB and she isn't at the spot she is supposed to be, am I locked out of her quest now?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I'm reaching a huge slow down point on this game. I have Logarius and Amygdala to do, and area enemies rarely drop blood vials I'm at Yahar'gul, which means after a couple failed attempts or getting completely hosed up by this nasty area I have to run back and farm echoes/vials. I'm not sure I really like the design choices for healing in this game.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I really like the area you can access from forbidden woods with the poison lake and the giants walking around. I get the feeling that, especially due to the plethora of weird corpses, this is where the church picked up all their minions, just dug them out of caverns like this or something.

Or it could be where they dump them, seeing as the giants are already wearing bells. Who knows!

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I also had trouble with Logarius until I realized you can gun parry him and interrupt his cast on his power up. He's still a god drat beast though and you have to stay on your toes and be good about dodging.

You can also knock out his sword when he sticks it in the ground and it shoots a big ole' sword hail out and stop it from mega owning you

EDIT: I'll add that gun parrying is actually an incredibly good strategy for most bosses. BSB is kind of jokey if you are good at it.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Nice, getting that sweet side-vagina action going on there

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I love it when you knock all the juice out of paarl and he flops around like a big sad wet dog, he is adorable.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Krinkle posted:

The secret to darkbeast is to hit his back legs? he charges up, be brave, just hit him? That doesn't work. Do you have to do damage first? because he doesn't loving stagger and I don't have a skill weapon yet. I literally can't hit him if I two hand this axe. He pirouettes away and then I'm on the outside and not the inside. I one hand it and yeah I'm hitting his rear ankle but he is not staggering. 1/20th of his health is down. This is NG and i'm level 29.
Stay under him and smack his rear legs. When he charges up, you can either manmode and smack him, or dodge calmly out and get back under him. He's the Sif of this game with slightly better attack hitboxes. You can definitely kill him without staggering him at all. He's fast and dangerous but can't do jack poo poo with you under him.

Operant fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 9, 2015

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The wheel is actually a pretty good weapon for pvp. It has super armor on a ton of its moves and staggers pretty heavily so when nerds try to get into a slapfight with you, you just :getin:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Wheel is a pretty good pvp weapon mostly just for its absurd hitbox and super armor on like 90% of attacks

It's also hilariously intimidating

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
There is truly little more satisfying than gun parrying someone mashing R1 on a Ludwig's Holy Blade

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The Cathedral lady must be the legitimate nicest character in the entire souls series I think

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Beat the game finally. Gherman was a loving amazing final boss. Both him and father G actually felt like really excellent fights, I wish there were more hunter bosses in the game, because the couple that are have amazing atmosphere and music, and they are both super tight, fast paced fights.

Couple lore things:

What do you guys think is the significance of the Iosefka's Blood Vial in the chest right before Mergo's Wet Nurse? Can't quite see how that's connected to anything.

I'm also 100% sure we kill Mergo at the end of the game, judging from the horrifyingly creepy choking sounds you hear and the massive delay after killing the Wet Nurse, and that's basically the driving objective for the post-Rom game. Why we have to venture into a literal nightmare realm to murder a god-baby I still can't figure out (even weirder that the game tells us to go do it directly through a pop-up text box). Why do we have to go kill Mergo? Is he the source of the dream world that seems to be invading Yharnam? Even weirder, why does Gherman decide to kill us and shoot us back into reality once we've done it? Why does the Moon Presence have an apparent hate-boner for Mergo in that case?

I also find it interesting that

A: Mergo is alive when we go murder him
B; Mergo was clearly forcibly taken from Yharnam (the woman), which is why she's standing outside the final room in the nightmare of mensis (and has a horrible stomach wound). The significance of the name of the boss (wet nurse) also suggests this.

The game repeatedly mentions that the Great Ones always lose their child, then seek a surrogate. Is the reason they always lose their child that hunters come and murder the poo poo out of it?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Mergo is [spoiler]an infant used by Mensis to summon the Moon Presence.

For whatever reason, the Red Moon Presence seems to oppose the children of the Great Ones surviving their births. It is definitely behind the Hunter's Dream, and I suspect that it uses Hunters for its own purposes. Most Hunters could just pass the night killing Beasts, but you entered into the Dream with a specific mission, to seek Paleblood, and on this, the longest night, you end up slaughtering the whole loving pantheon before you are retired. Presumably killing the Presence eliminates the curse of the red moon, which is the catalyst for the Beast scourge.

Yeah that sounds extremely solid to me. The game says pretty explicitly that the Moon Presence was summoned by Laurence, who was the founder (?) of the church. Didn't the Choir members have their roots in Mensis as well?

Poor Mergo though :(

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Seagull posted:

Where are you getting the first part of this because I took away from the old workshop umbilical cord that Gehrman ate a placenta so he could talk to his doll waifu and Moon Presence hugged him instead which is why hunters are what it deals in

Also pretty sure that Mensis and the Choir both originated from the church but split along different paths

A note near the beginning of the game says (quite literally) "The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

turtlecrunch posted:

It doesn't sound like choking to me, unless your hunter had a pillow handy. @4:25. However, the carriage is overturned so. If the baby is dead it's probably because MWN is an artificial lifeline in more than one way, since from the umbilical cord you know Mergo and the Great One had their brains stillborn.

Choking is a bad word you're right.

I read that more as "... it resulted in the stillbirth of their (Mensis') brains." rather than Mergo's, implying that the death/madness of Mensis was caused by their contact with Mergo. I'm 100% sure Mergo is alive when you go kill him in some form, which is why the game tells you halfway to 'seek the nightmare newborn', why there's an elongated pause when you listen to his breathing stop before you get the 'nightmare slain' message, and why you're following a really convoluted path which leads directly to him, and why killing him is the culmination of the game.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Torquemadras posted:

The game is a war between the Choir's Great Ones - Rom, Ebrietas, Oedon, Wet Nurse -, which want to have the child of blood, Mergo, grow up, and the nameless Moon Presence, which wants to turn the world into a red hellscape and kill all other Great One rivals.

That's basically how I see it. The specifics are not so clear cut though and there's a lot there that will hopefully get filled in a little bit by DLC (the same way as the Dark Souls lore)

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Couple lore things that I found interesting after reading the interview with Miyazaki here: http://s595.photobucket.com/user/devilfruitx/library/Miyazaki%20Interview

- Confirmation that 'Paleblood' is the Moon Presence'
- Rom is female
- He confirms that Mergo is the baby

He also says something interesting - that babies are used as a 'lure' to attract Great Ones. So it seems clear to me that maybe the reason we have to go shut up Mergo is that he's the one attracting/keeping the Great Ones active in the world. So he was probably put there by Mensis - which is what the whole 'mensis ritual' might be referring to.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I have the Japanese version of the game and the Stake Driver is literally called the Pilebunker

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Bloodborne easily has some of my favorite bosses of any souls game. The fights are so fast paced and brutal and thematically tight. I hated most of the Dark Souls 2 bosses, none of them really struck my interest.

Gerhman especially is a god drat amazing fight because it gets anime as hell. You're dashing around this field of white flowers trying to get a hit in on each other while loving this plays

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Ludwig was a loving incredible fight. Super hard but never felt bullshitty. I hear the others are just as good if not better so I'm looking forward to them.

The Saif loving owns, it's probably my new favorite weapon. It's like the clever on steroids, and the basic r1 having a dash in it is super good.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Wonderful Bread posted:

Undertale was my GOTY until the old hunters came out. I've only beaten Ludwig so far, but he was not only the best Bloodborne boss I've faced so far, but also one of my favorite bosses in general. That fight reminded me why I like video games.

It's so perfectly put together. The music is, once again, the real star

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The Bowblade sure trivializes/breaks some of the bosses in this game. Amygdala in particular just gets completely wrecked since you can smash his head with charged bow shots all day. Ebrietas as well has no way to stop you from making her into a pincushion.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I've almost given up on chalices but I only have Bloodletting beast (the headless version) and the queen left so I better get back on that poo poo. Bosses just have silly amounts of health and damage at depth 5, even at 45 vit and 50 skl with a +10 bowblade poo poo takes forever to go down and crushes you with a couple attacks

gently caress headless BSB by the way. I know you're supposed to hump his left foot the whole fight but I can't stop him from spamming his ground pound until I curl up and cry. It's almost as bad as Loran Darkbeast, who I physically couldn't hit half the time because I'm not running a long enough weapon.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I made a FRC Izs chalice to unlock the rest of the glyphs and lo and behold in the first bonus area there was a blood rock in a chest. I'll post the glyph at some point.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Beat Orphan after only 3 or 4 tries, but I think I was over-leveled for it (beat him around level 100 with pretty decent gems). If you get in his rear end and pay attention to his attack tells, he can be parried and staggered like any other human sized dude and kind of goes down like a chump

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Leyburn posted:

I'm so loving sick of fighting OoK. I can dance around him for his entire first phase barely getting hit, although if I do get his it often means I'm dead because he hits so hard and he closes the distance when you try to heal relentlessly. Once I get to his second phase it all goes to poo poo, I just can't get the hang of it at all. I've nearly grinded out a win twice, but ran out of vials both times. He's just so unpredictable and all over the place. Some of his attacks seem to hit for 80% of my health.

Also farming for vials repeatedly just to attempt the boss is a boring and unnecessary chore.

I did him fine with 40 vit. Get on his rear end, he actually doesn't track very hard with his abilities, they're pretty easy to dodge at close range, and he won't do any of the bullshit that's hard to dodge when you're right next to him, especially in his second phase.

You can also parry him.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
99% of your problems in this game can be solved by parrying

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
If you're still using the saw cleaver instead of the saif I don't know what to say to you

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Jose posted:

how hard is yharnam? Her and Laurence are the only bosses I've not beaten in bloodborne. Admittedly I'm level 150 so might find them a bit easier than normal if only because I can stand back and spam the blacksky eye

A total joke, especially if you summon since you can chain backstab her over and over as she focuses on your summon

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I'm almost certain the entire game is just a dream from the moment you pass out from the tranfusion based on the Yharnam Sunrise ending and what the minister says to you in the beginning. I'm equally as sure that it's all real though, even if it is a dream.

a shameful boehner posted:

So what's up with all the slugs in the fishing hamlet?

:gonk:

Also I assume that the corpse pile was "created" by Ludwig

The slugs came from Kos' beached corpse I think, and transformed the villagers. There's a mention of them in the Kos Parasite description. I never noticed, but you can see piles of tiny slugs writhing over corpses in the Hamlet, and there's actually a ton of slugs scattered near the clock in the room where you fight Maria.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I found bloodletting beast way easier if you just face him straight on and dodge all his poo poo actually. By the far the worst move of his is the absolutely stupid ground pound he does that has a ridiculous hitbox, and he does that move about 10x more if you try and get underneath/behind him. Everything else he does is pretty trivial to dodge around.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I took the advice from this thread to just get up in his rear end and Orphan went down super super easily for me, I was expecting a much harder fight. I think Ludwig was the hardest and also the best boss of the DLC, and possibly the game for me. Such an amazing boss fight all around.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Holy poo poo, I JUST got the collapsed 'sun' in the hunter's nightmare. The bloodshot eyeball mentions that the pupils of blood drunk hunters often collapse and turn to mush. There's a pretty clear picture of one on the item.

It's not the sun. It's a hole in the sky. It's a pupil that you're looking out of.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Anti-Hero posted:

Pthumerian Descent in the last chalice dungeon can suck it. I'm so close to the Platinum trophy I can taste it, one more week until DS3.

Yeah he's a loving dick. Best advice I can give you is to stick close and play the fight fair and safe. You can parry him, which helps. Just don't let him ever throw out those blades because they are horseshit and can clip through pillars.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
If you are sick of Defiled Chalice grab a bowblade, upgrade it as far as possible, and pump dex, then enjoy your free Hot Dog/Amygdala. Those bosses were clearly not designed with being able to pump 700+ damage shots into their weakspots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Kin posted:

So i think i'm pretty much up at the last boss and am now considering the DLC before finishing the game.

How long is it roughly and is it really painstakingly hard compared to the main game?

The first and last bosses of the dlc are the hardest in the game, but are both amazing fights

• Locked thread