Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

any love for the beasthunter saif itt? I've grown quite fond of it after forcing myself to use it in my last run.

Sakurazuka posted:

The cane is legit one of the best weapons in the game though, it just takes a bit longer to get going.
Still not the best for beginners however.

I used to think the threaded cane was garbagio, while I have since seen the error of my ways I wouldn't call it the best weapon in the game. that's just absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wait, this game has drawbacks?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

nah I know the game has some issues:

• blood vials and quicksilver bullets should always be replenished fully upon death or warping to dream
  • player should be able to warp between lamps
  • hunter's mark should take player back to the dream

if they fixed these three things it would probably be a Perfect Game

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

that was phrased poorly, I meant to say that vials and bullets would essentially work the same as the dark souls estus system. i.e. you would never run out of them, you would always get 20 "charges" of each after dying

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

don't worry about it. just keep hunting beasts

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Got the blood starved beast to within a mircon of health, shot a pistol at him as soon as he got up, but it didn't register. He leaped at me and hold killed me.

gently caress this game.

Keep going! I believe in you! Also since I can't play the game for the first time again your posts are the next best thing

funny story: when I watched my buddy play for the first time, he got one of the early bosses down to a sliver of health. he ran out of health vials after trying to attack and getting staggered. so I yelled out impulsively "just shoot'um!!!" he emptied like 6 bullets from his pistol into the thing and it died, we both jumped up and cheered. thinking about it still brings a sparkle to my eye :unsmith:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

acksplode posted:

I read that Paleblood Hunt doc a few weeks ago and it surfaced a lot of interesting details I hadn't noticed, but ultimately I thought it was overwrought and had a flat and overcomplicated theory of everything. It didn't really address the cyclical nature of the hunt that's implied by notes like "To escape this dreadful Hunter's Dream, halt the source of the spreading scourge of beasts, lest the night carry on forever" and "Seek paleblood to transcend the hunt." In my current replay I just got to Hypogean Gaol, and I saw a couple notes on the ground that got me thinking about lore again:

Madmen toil surreptitiously in rituals to beckon the moon. Uncover their secrets.

Nightmarish rituals crave a newborn. Find one, and silence its harrowing cry.

Speculation with some spoilery details: Killing Mergo is the sacrificial act that summons Paleblood, aka the Moon Presence. But if you kill Gehrman at the end of the game, it becomes very clear that the Moon Presence has already been summoned for some time, and it's been controlling Gehrman and the Hunter's Dream since before we began playing. So what the hell?

I think the Hunt is an endless repetition of Yharnam's final night, before it succumbed totally to the Moon Presence and its beast plague, which happened very long ago. You're given blood ministration in the first cutscene and from there you're in the Moon Presence's grasp, in its nightmare. It guides you into retracing the steps that summoned it, only so it can revel in the orgy of blood, your descent into beasthood, your unwitting act of worship.

Is there anything in the game that contradicts that? I'm gonna keep it in mind as I keep playing and see if it holds up.

I'd never heard of this write-up before, definitely gonna tear into that over the weekend. I really wish jerks sans frontieres would do some more bloodborne analysis videos

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

half of the lore can be summed up with "oedon did it"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

on my first try I got the boss who is generally agreed to be the hardest boss in the entire game down to 1/10 of its health. I then proceeded to try and fail a few dozen more times before grinding through some chalices and coming back and three-shotting it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

in Dark Souls there are two to four npcs who explicitly outline what you have to do and why you're doing it. in Bloodborne the "plot" is almost exclusively delivered through glowing sticky notes scattered throughout the game. it fits the mood of the game though

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I honestly put JSF above Redgrave because 2/3 of that google doc is rambling speculation, not to mention he contradicts himself multiple times. JSF doesn't make any statements without exhaustively exploring evidence; each of his videos have a clear intent that is well expressed.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Awesome! posted:

tips for phase 2 logarius? can i destroy the thing he slams into the ground or am i just supposed to dodge the flying crap constantly? it was late last night and i only got there once before getting sloppy and turning it off. normally i just experiment but the run back sucks a dick

not only can you destroy it, but you can target it and shoot it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fun challenge: after choosing the submit ending, if you die at any point in new game plus, delete the character

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

How far have people been able to go without going to the Hunter's Dream from the start of the game (whether through death or a lamp)? I imagine if you ground out gems and bought a bunch of weapon copies in NG it's entirely possible to beat the game in NG+ without going to the Dream until after Mergo. During NG I would think it's almost impossible to progress after Gascoigne.

Kontradaz posted:

God I wish this game was out on PC, playing on a PS4 feels like I'm handicapped and its super unpleasant. The downsides of being a PC gamer my whole life :(

Idk I've been getting some use out of the PS4. 30 fps never really bothered me. And it feels good to only click two or three buttons and immediately switch between BB, Netflix, Youtube, etc.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Is it possible to not have to kill either BSB or Cleric Beast in order to progress to Amelia? Or is it necessary to kill one or the other?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

every transform attack is awesome and cool, however my favorites are the kirkhammer's

In Training posted:

In a game full of really good animations this is one of my favorites

it's strangely erotic

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think orphan of kosm is hard

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Are there any hazards in this game that your dodge roll's reduced profile would help you avoid better than the quickstep? Not from its i-frames but from being low to the ground.

I was just thinking about how low and long your character stays down during its animation vs the quickstep and surely there's something there.

one thing I wish was in the game is tactical gestures. like, gestures that are quite clearly meant to be used in dodging very specific attacks. for example you could dive bomb onto the ground to dodge an elevated horizontal sweep attack, or do a small sidestep turn to avoid a bullet. you could probably incorporate those into my second idea, which is running gestures; that is, if you activate a gesture while running you get a special animation. for example if you did "sit down" while running you drop to your knees and do a slide

what I'm saying is, I want mirror's edgeborne

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I die so often to his second form, I could do ludwig's first form blindfolded at this point

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

for me his blast attacks (both the aoe and the wave) are highly telegraphed and easily dodgable. the former is the same as the stray demon's aoe attack from dark souls 1. the latter you just have to worry about getting out of the way when he slams the sword into the ground and then you have years to get a combo on him. it's his normal sword swings that always gently caress me up because of how erratic their timing is, and how they are powerful enough to take away half my health (at the least) which requires a health vial. at least if you gently caress up dodging his aoe or the wave you die instantly and don't waste any vials :downs:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

maybe they'll let From continue the pattern of making original IPs that are exclusive to the current playstation iteration (demon's souls for ps3, bloodborne for ps4).

:pray: egyptian souls on the ps5 :pray:

e: or if not souls-style than something that uses ancient egyptian theology

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

so pretty much this concept then?(didn't write it myself of course, comes from some guy on 4chan's /tg/ board, which often comes up with great ideas)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6bVySu-Tl0LRU95TmJTTkEtX0U/view?usp=sharing

this is goddamned beautiful. make it loving happen From

e: oh wait it's dice roll based. ehhh

kalel fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 13, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I know music chat was a few pages ago but I think DS3's title music is awesome. Game is meh imo

Nothing beats the original Dark Souls menu though:

*ominous silence*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

Be sure to stock up on Shaman Bone Blades for the only time in the game!

The shadows of Yharnam and the living failures would like to have a word with you

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Contra Duck posted:

Yeah there's no difference between the normal altars, they're just to give you multiple open dungeons or to let you go back if you realise you missed something.

I usually do the DLC before the nightmare of mensis. There's some extra dialogue if you do the DLC first and you'll have more of a chance to play with the weapons that way.

What kind of dialogue?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Great One looking to sell baby shoes. Never worn.

lmao

lite_sleepr posted:

What happened?

The NPC calls you some bad names, it's pretty funny

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It seems most people find Ludwig's first form much more difficult than his second, but I'm the opposite. Maybe I just have more practice with his beast form due to it being first, or that his first form's attacks are much more distinct and identifiable, but the timing of his sword swings in his sane form always fucks me up.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Bloodborne's a good game but I can't say I disagree with Sleepr's assessment of Yahar'gul, Electric Boogaloo.

It's the most annoying area in bloodborne, but the least-annoying "most-annoying area in a soulsborne game."

Yahargul part 2 doesn't hold a candle to (spoilers for the other souls games) Defilement, Dukes Archives, Shrine of Amana, or the run from Irithyll to Anor Londo.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nina posted:

"It's one of the best games I've played but not one of my favourites"

What do you mean?

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, but does this mean that each level scales with the cycles, or does it mean that after a few cycles, the main game has left the chalice dungeons in the dirt in difficulty terms?

The second one

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hmm... P.T.... Pthumerian...

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Why is the wikidot for BB so bad :(

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Snak posted:

All the wikis for BB are so bad, because there's no PC nerds working on them.

fextralife is the "best" one, but it's still full of bullshit and inconsistent formatting and unprofessionally written content.

gently caress it, I'll just fix every article myself. I don't have anything else to do with my life

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The DLC isn't that hard *runs past everything*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

My friend told me when he got the DLC he ran around nabbing all the items and having a heart attack whenever a hunter came out of nowhere and owned him. I never understood that, why not wait until you've leveled up a bit and practice fighting them so they aren't harassing you as much?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

FACT 1: MALE
FACT 2: WHITE
FACT 3: LAST NAME - KOS (or kosm)
FACT 4: FIRST NAME - O_____ __

FIND HIM AND KILL HIM

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Snak posted:

Especially because, according to the wiki, it only appears if you've killed Paarl.

It's the only reason I go kill Paarl.

that sounds like bs

the wiki is whack

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I forgot how much I hate Laurence. gently caress this guy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I feel like being dumb so I'm gonna start a BLT/ARC build. Wish me luck

ApeEscape posted:

Was fun times playing wtih HaB and David (forgot your SA username) over the weekend powering through Chalice dungeons. You guys able to do the Greather Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice tonight? Say around 7pm CST?

What level range are you guys? I wanna do some multiplayer too :3

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wuz yer psn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gentle reminder that BB is a perfect game and all criticisms are invalid. Thank you and Oedon bless

• Locked thread