Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This has been bugging me since the Souls games, but why are Str/Dex weapons called "Quality"? It seems like it was always better to go all in on either one or the other, and the Str/Dex weapons were never as good as all Str or all Dex. So why that moniker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Well that clears it up :v:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Yup, this game just caused me to order a ps4. Probably didn't help that I had already pre-ordered MGSV for a system I didn't even own yet :v:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

This thread is moving faster than I can keep up with, but I finally got my PS4 and Bloodborne last night and flailed around up to the Cleric Beast. Wasted an insight ringing the bell because I forgot I was in offline mode (because the game was still downloading). Anyway, I put the LASERTAG password in and my PSN is Some-Redhead.

I have not had one successful parry/riposte yet with the blunderbus and I'm terrible. Help :ohdear:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Has there been confirmation on Arcane scaling on weapons not mattering unless you socket the weapon (and then it scales solely off arcane)? I'm trying to go strength but went with the Cursed Fate for an Arcane boost, but if it's basically useless I'd probably just restart. Or do both stats contribute to damage simultaneously?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I get how if a weapon is pure physical and you put a fire/bolt/arcane rune in there it switches to arcane scaling, but what happens when you put a fire gem into a Tonitrus? I did that and my attacks do have fire animations, but if the weapon already scales off of STR+ARC for Phys/Bolt, what does adding the fire gem (+8.5% according to the gem) do exactly?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Now that the progression bug has been fixed, I'm really enjoying cooping the forest and the Shadows. It's pretty relaxing, and I like the 3v3 style of that fight if the host gets someone else.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Feenix posted:

Stake Driver weapon. Yay or Nay, good sirs?

Every weapon is Yay and every weapon is Nay.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Whenever I ring my coop bell, within minutes I get "lost connection to the network" and only when I ring my coop bell. Is something hosed with my setup or is this normal?

I just want to sunbro with people :(

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

Only time this happened to me is when I try doing coop following my ps4 being on Rest mode. Power it off and try again?

I know of the rest mode issues so I always play from a fresh power cycle. My beckoning bell doesn't give me this problem, and if I don't ring any bells I never get disconnected. Only the helper bell :(

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

So what's the strategy for taking out those singing brains in the nightmare? If they see me, it's Frenzy time, and if I go to attack them, their grab will get me no matter how far away I dodge. I'm at the point where I'm just going to take a cannon to their face this is killing me.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

For Amygdala, is it really damage resistant to everything except it's head? I have a +6 Tonitrus and a +6 Ludwig, and was doing single digits to it, but my unupgraded blunderbuss to the face was taking off chunks. Is this just a battle of chip until stagger and then unload on the head?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

My summoning issue is that if I ring my coop bell (not the beckoning bell, I want to be the helper), I have to stand still to have a 50/50 chance of remaining connected to the network. If I ring my coop bell and run around clearing poo poo while I wait, I almost always get disconnected within about 30 seconds. I never get disconnected when i ring no bells, or when I ring my beckoning bell, though. It's really frustrating since I enjoy bellbroing, but this game simply won't let me do it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Is level 70 too high for the Martyr? I haven't gotten a single hit on help and I'm sitting right outside the fog door.

Edit: I'll LASERTAG in to help you if this thing works. Chiming outside the fog door.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 8, 2015

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

LornMarkus posted:

Sorry about that, I was waiting by the lantern and hadn't checked the thread yet. I'm up by the fog door now though.

Ringing my little bell.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I've posted about problems helping before. I keep getting disconnected whenever I try to bellbro. Never any other time.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well if anyone else needs help with Logarius I'm chilling by the fog door :v:

I'll try restarting and logging back in now.

Edit: Are we using passwords?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, LASERTAG

Running towards the boss now, ringing my beckoning bell. I'm Lvl 71 if that means anything.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm 63 so should be in range. Sitting on the steps outside his room with my bell active.

So am i :ohdear:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Gotcha, I think.

Awesome

Edit: Woo!

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 8, 2015

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

So if I'm running through on a Str/Arc build for the Tonitrus this runthrough, where should I be putting my levels at this point?

Level 72

Vit 30
End 30
Str 30
Ski 13
Bld 5
Arc 14

Start pumping Arc, keep pumping Str, or keep Pumping Vit?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

If I'm using the Tonitrus, and I have a gem that is 5 physical damage points worse than my current gem, but 5 blunt damage points better, is it a wash, or is it better to have the higher blunt damage since, well, mace?

I mean something like
Damage 136 +37
Blunt +37
Thrust ---

Going to
Damage 136 +32
Blunt +42
Thrust ---

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I just took out ROM solo with 3 Bone Marrow Ash'd Cannon shots. It was both hilarious and sad, really. Oh I think I might have swung at him once to get the party started. Finished with only a sliver of HP left, so no YOU DIED/PREY VANQUISHED screenshots.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I completed NF last night (even beat Amygdala first try!) but never saw that ledge or cutscene. I'll have to go back because now I want to see it...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Interestingly enough, in the first half of the game I was maxed out on vials/bullets to the point where I just couldn't pick up any more. In the second half of the game, I could never keep enough to even get a full restock upon death. Fortunately, by that point the slime students are an easy farm. It's literally 2 minutes for 30-50 vials worth of souls.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't farm, co-op. People need help. :smith: You get lots of souls and its way more fun.

Game really needs a sunbro covenant.

I've posted before on how this game will not let me sunbro. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been able to help out other people. Maybe I need to fix my PS4 settings I don't know, I just bought it for this game :v: But I never have network issues with anything else.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

ROM versus the Cannon. I need to use this thing more often (and I love this "share to youtube" feature of the PS4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt9GdQQBv7w

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Anybody around to help with TOR? What's funny is one cannon shot and a bunch of Toniturs swipes can take off half its life, but then I can't ever get a second round in.

Ringin mah bell at level 72.

Edit: :toot:

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 12, 2015

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Alabaster White posted:

Are you killing the women on the balconies?

Actually no, I didn't even know you could. The Bone Ash set makes the fireballs a complete non-issue which is nice, I was just focusing on beating down TOR. Maybe that made it a bit harder than it should have, but Gary Oldman helped save the day!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Yousomuscle posted:

My characters are Cocklate Syrup , and Piss Wizard .

Mine is MC Hammerpants because I thought I was going to do a Kirkhammer playthrough but fell in love with the Tonitrus instead.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Once I figured out the CE's gimmick, exploding the second form with a +6 Cannon was hilarious. I didn't even have any Bone Marrow Ash :v: Now to figure out how to beat the boss right after that with the Cannon because I'm getting my rear end handed to me at Lvl 73...

Edit: Also the wheel is hilarious on that boss. Just watching mobs get flattened was pretty cathartic.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 13, 2015

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Harrow posted:

Bloodborne definitely has the most oppressive atmosphere of the series. I loaded up Dark Souls for the first time in a while yesterday and it feels downright bright in comparison. Dark Souls's chief emotion is "melancholy" while Bloodborne's is definitely "oppressive fear."

You know, I didn't really get the "oppressive fear" until the upper cathedral ward. That was the first time I really made it a point to walk, listen, constantly check over my shoulder (which was a very smart thing to do once or twice) and I really had that fear feeling going. Up until then I just got the basic 'survival horror' vibe from everything.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

So if I'm purposefully going for a Tonitrus build (it's +9 now) and I have a Vit/End of 40/30 and STR of 30 (for the Cannon, love the Cannon), should I be pumping Strength over Arcane, or does Arcane give enough passive benefits (like item find) to warrant leaving STR at 30 and pumping ARC higher than 14? I'm about level 75 right now and don't care about PvP since this is my first character, I think I'll be doing a Quality LHB run next.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

That hand lantern revelation is hilarious, especially since I basically have it on a quick slot because it has to always. be. on. :v:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Is it possible to get the whirligig early in the game? I rushed the first few bosses and am getting my rear end handed to me in the nightmare. There's just too much going on that it feels impossible to not get hit while trying to run that gauntlet.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Go figure, I post to vent, and a few more runs later I get the shortcut, lamp, and whirligig within 5 minutes of each other. :unsmigghh:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I never was very good at this game, but now I've got a +9 Whirligig and even though I'm only slvl70 I'm just demolishing everything it's kinda :stare:

Forget parry/riposte, 2hand all day errday. What would be a good second weapon to bring up if I'm going all STR/some DEX? Boom hammer? LHB? Or should I raise Arcane and go Moonlight Blade?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

+9 Whirligig with a Beastblood pellet and Fire paper (not even sure if Fire or Bolt is better/necessary) and holding down L2 just took off like 90% of the bar :stare:

I have never had an easier time with a boss, and last go-round with the Tonitrus this boss took a bunch of tries and help to finally take down.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I ran through like 90% of the game last year with a Tonitrus build and tried to parry everything and had a really hard time with the game (but still loved it). This time around I just went transformed axe, beelined the pizza cutter, 2-handed it, and never looked back. Now I've got that and LHB at +10, have not once parry/riposted (beyond a few times at the very beginning of the game) and have not once regretted it. I'm going to miss the 'borne quickstep dodge in DSIII.

Really now I'm just stuck on the last boss of the DLC and haven't tried the endgame bosses yet. I'm just chalice dungeon running to pad my stats because I'm a filthy casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Are the Uncanny/Lost versions of the weapons any better than the normal ones? I bought a bunch of uncanny/lost weapons just because I had souls to blow, but from a pure power standpoint, am not sure if switching up the gem selection really does that much.

• Locked thread