Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Is having a sheet of water pouring off your roof really so horrible that it necessitates an entire preventive apparatus and all the associated cleaning and maintenance that comes with it?

Fact: Approx. 50,000 people are hospitalized for ladder-related injuries each year while cleaning out rain gutters.

Fact: 0 people are hospitalized each year for injuries related to walking through a curtain of water that is slightly thicker than the rain through which they were already walking.

Bottom line: my wife wants me to clean out the gutters and I'm debating whether to just remove our gutters altogether to eliminate the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

break a neck, rear end in a top hat!

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
poo poo I think you might be right.

future internet archeologists will probably point to this post as the turning point in this whole gutter situation.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It helps keep the soil immediately surrounding your house from becoming a swampy mess or do you live in one of those cities in the desert that shouldn't exist but does because Americans are retarded.

unassertive boy 99
Dec 7, 2014

by Ralp
AHaha you have a house with a roof and a mortgage and you are married lol

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
some people collect rainwater

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The point is they're full of blood and when the drains finally scab over all the vermin will drown.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

unassertive boy 99 posted:

AHaha you have a house with a roof and a mortgage and you are married lol

they are my parents gutters actually :colbert:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

Is having a sheet of water pouring off your roof really so horrible that it necessitates an entire preventive apparatus and all the associated cleaning and maintenance that comes with it?

Fact: Approx. 50,000 people are hospitalized for ladder-related injuries each year while cleaning out rain gutters.

Fact: 0 people are hospitalized each year for injuries related to walking through a curtain of water that is slightly thicker than the rain through which they were already walking.

Bottom line: my wife wants me to clean out the gutters and I'm debating whether to just remove our gutters altogether to eliminate the hassle.

Ladders are perfectly safe as long as you're not a retard

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Hello I am OP and I don't know anything about basic residential construction principles or soil qualities, I'm not going to even start on my big gay opinions about why soak wells and drains are unnecessary, however I

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

It helps keep the soil immediately surrounding your house from becoming a swampy mess or do you live in one of those cities in the desert that shouldn't exist but does because Americans are retarded.

if god didn't want us to build there, he wouldn't have made the natives susceptible to european diseases.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
retard doesn't understand how things work. instead of using the Internet to maybe find out how things work, instead uses it to announce his retardation to the world.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
get your mind out of the gutter, op

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Depending on the conditions of your house's exterior, foundation, roof lines, soil, and local climate, yes gutters have a point. For example, brick absorbs water so having rain sheet down off the roof and onto the exterior walls is bad.

About 5 years ago I removed the gutters from my mom's garage because they kept getting hosed up by snow avalanches sliding off the main house roof. Now it's having some rot problems on the sill plates in some areas which I need to fix. Removing the entire gutter was a mistake.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the gutters collect a majority of the water that falls on your home's roof

then it navigates to a longer gutter that runs down the side/front of your home; the point being that it pushes water far away from your house so it does not soak up.

If it soaks up and you have a basement it can cause it to flood by coming in through your basement windows or even through porous foundation

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Klyith posted:

Depending on the conditions of your house's exterior, foundation, roof lines, soil, and local climate, yes gutters have a point. For example, brick absorbs water so having rain sheet down off the roof and onto the exterior walls is bad.

About 5 years ago I removed the gutters from my mom's garage because they kept getting hosed up by snow avalanches sliding off the main house roof. Now it's having some rot problems on the sill plates in some areas which I need to fix. Removing the entire gutter was a mistake.

counterpoint: my house growing up never had gutters and the only problem we ever had was a line of dead grass where the rain would fall from the roof :smugdog:

open container
Sep 16, 2008
also our basement was constantly flooding

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

redirects water to an area where it can be drained in a sustained and controlled fashion. close thread.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

redirects water to an area where it can be drained in a sustained and controlled fashion. close thread.

Oh like having it all collect at once corner of the house is soooo much better than having it dispersed evenly across the whole front.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

how is breaking your neck removing the gutter better than breaking your neck cleaning it. either way, die.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Look at this loving idiot bitch OP.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lots of strong opinions about rain gutters ITT

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

how is breaking your neck removing the gutter better than breaking your neck cleaning it. either way, die.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

ask yourself WWGD?

(what would Grover do?)

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

My gutter system drains into a pipe that is tied directly into the sewer.

Ground isn't exactly flat everywhere, and if you don't have a good gutter system the water will pool into the lowest spot, potentially flooding your basement.

There you go OP this is why we have gutters. Hope it helps!!!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
To collect tennis balls and dead raccoons.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Trast posted:

best answer. This guy gets it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

it's something about erosion. My house didn't have gutters for a while and now we have random holes in the ground where the water would concentrate as a waterfall thing.

But honestly it's

Trast posted:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Gutter s are a great place for dumb birds to drown their retard offspring.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OP, don't listen to anyone here, gutters are useless. I'll explain.

Many people believe that houses require foundations, but this is actually nonsense. Most homes are built with frames sufficiently strong to support the weight of the house, and therefore a solid concrete or block foundation is unnecessary. Furthermore, due to the materials and methods of construction, foundations are completely inflexible, and when the ground shifts due to natural settling or freezing and thawing, the blocks and concrete tend to crack and break. This eventually will lead to the collapse of the entire structure because the entire house is resting on the foundation. What most people don't know is that the foundation is the single most expensive structure in a home, and construction companies earn a whole lot of money by building them. So as you might guess, they have no desire to ditch the foundation paradigm. Old houses collapse, the companies get to sell you a new 20K+ foundation, the cycle continues.

Gutters are ostensibly designed to protect the foundation from the damaging effects of moisture. Because most roofs only overhang about 1.5 feet over the walls of the house, rainwater will tend to pool around the foundation, which will lead to the concrete taking in moisture and disintegrating. The gutter system is used because it really doesn't work well. Gutter seams almost always fail, and water will pool anyway. Leaves tend collect in the gutter, and this leads to pooling at the roof, which will destroy the roof of your home. Again, construction companies make a lot of money installing these pieces of crap, and when they destroy your house the construction company gets to sell you another one, with the knowledge that it will fail again in the future. There is no money in building lasting structures. A well built house has the following features:

1. No foundation. The ground should be leveled and bushes planted around the perimeter of the building. The bushes will ensure that water doesn't get under the house and cause rotting.
2. Joists built with pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber will not rot, and is flexible enough to accommodate changes shifts in the ground underneath.
3. Build taller, not wider. Since the ground is prone to shifting, the smaller the footprint, the better the structure. A smaller footprint will be less likely to warp, and the best way to make up the square footage is obviously to build higher.
4. Fewer windows. UV light is damaging and windows leak significant amounts of heat. No windows is obviously optimal, I have none in my house.
5. The optimal roof shape looks like a mushroom cap. This shape of roof will divert rain away from the base of the house much better than a typical roof, and because it has a much lower drag coefficient than a typical A-Frame, it will be much more stable in the event of high winds.
6. The furnaces should be in the center of the home to keep the heat centralized. The chimney should be central, and should not extend out from the roof but rather should be inset to further lower the drag coefficient of the roof. Any rain that falls near the chimney will be blown out by the exhaust from the furnace.
7. No gutters. Gutters fail, and damage the structure. They're also ugly.

My company has been building houses like this for years, and I've never had a complaint. I like to make the exterior beige stucco, and I prefer red shingles for the roof, but those colors are obviously dependent on preference. This is an image of my house, pardon the bushes being brown, it's winter and they haven't grown their leaves back yet.

I think you will agree, this is the best house.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Dolphin posted:

Many people believe that houses require foundations, but this is actually nonsense. Most homes are built with frames sufficiently strong to support the weight of the house, and therefore a solid concrete or block foundation is unnecessary. Furthermore, due to the materials and methods of construction, foundations are completely inflexible, and when the ground shifts due to natural settling or freezing and thawing, the blocks and concrete tend to crack and break. This eventually will lead to the collapse of the entire structure because the entire house is resting on the foundation. What most people don't know is that the foundation is the single most expensive structure in a home, and construction companies earn a whole lot of money by building them. So as you might guess, they have no desire to ditch the foundation paradigm. Old houses collapse, the companies get to sell you a new 20K+ foundation, the cycle continues.

Gutters are ostensibly designed to protect the foundation from the damaging effects of moisture. Because most roofs only overhang about 1.5 feet over the walls of the house, rainwater will tend to pool around the foundation, which will lead to the concrete taking in moisture and disintegrating. The gutter system is used because it really doesn't work well. Gutter seams almost always fail, and water will pool anyway. Leaves tend collect in the gutter, and this leads to pooling at the roof, which will destroy the roof of your home. Again, construction companies make a lot of money installing these pieces of crap, and when they destroy your house the construction company gets to sell you another one, with the knowledge that it will fail again in the future. There is no money in building lasting structures. A well built house has the following features:

1. No foundation. The ground should be leveled and bushes planted around the perimeter of the building. The bushes will ensure that water doesn't get under the house and cause rotting.
2. Joists built with pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber will not rot, and is flexible enough to accommodate changes shifts in the ground underneath.
3. Build taller, not wider. Since the ground is prone to shifting, the smaller the footprint, the better the structure. A smaller footprint will be less likely to warp, and the best way to make up the square footage is obviously to build higher.
4. Fewer windows. UV light is damaging and windows leak significant amounts of heat. No windows is obviously optimal, I have none in my house.
5. The optimal roof shape looks like a mushroom cap. This shape of roof will divert rain away from the base of the house much better than a typical roof, and because it has a much lower drag coefficient than a typical A-Frame, it will be much more stable in the event of high winds.
6. The furnaces should be in the center of the home to keep the heat centralized. The chimney should be central, and should not extend out from the roof but rather should be inset to further lower the drag coefficient of the roof. Any rain that falls near the chimney will be blown out by the exhaust from the furnace.

My company has been building houses like this for years, and I've never had a complaint. I like to make the exterior beige stucco, and I prefer red shingles for the roof, but those colors are obviously dependent on preference. This is an image of my house, pardon the bushes being brown, it's winter and they haven't grown their leaves back yet.

pretty good house

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Dolphin posted:

:golfclap:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
spend an afternoon putting covers on your gutters and drinking beer on the roof, then never worry about it again

or dont live under trees i guess, either way you never have to clean a gutter again

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Dolphin posted:

This house has no balls.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Make her do it, it's 2015.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Applewhite posted:

Oh like having it all collect at once corner of the house is soooo much better than having it dispersed evenly across the whole front.

yes usually it redirects into a drain pipe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
you're an idiot and don't understand basic things

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

yes usually it redirects into a drain pipe

Mine empty out onto little concrete troughs before ultimately draining directly onto the lawn.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Roy posted:

Make her do it, it's 2015.

This is a good idea.

Equality is cool and good.

Also don't remove your gutters unless you don't own the home, in which case, who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

ANAmal.net posted:

spend an afternoon putting covers on your gutters and drinking beer on the roof, then never worry about it again

or dont live under trees i guess, either way you never have to clean a gutter again

Gutter covers are the right answer. When I was a kid I had to clean gutters too, but eventually my parents got that Gutter Helmet or whatever and never had to clean again.

• Locked thread