Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Applewhite posted:

Mine empty out onto little concrete troughs before ultimately draining directly onto the lawn.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HJE-Cobra posted:

Gutter covers are the right answer. When I was a kid I had to clean gutters too, but eventually my parents got that Gutter Helmet or whatever and never had to clean again.
what happens when the gutter cover get covered with leaves

just put a helmet on the whole house, like i did

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Applewhite posted:

Mine empty out onto little concrete troughs before ultimately draining directly onto the lawn.

owned

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Your supposed to dig a french drain OP or divert the flow much farther from your foundation, not just to the grass in the corner. It's ok a lot of people dont know this stuff. Moisture near your foundation is real bad so work on it :)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

extend your gutters to funnel water into a neighbour's window

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Even groverhaus had gutters.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I have no gutters becasue I love the area around my place turning into a lake everytime it rains

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Otto von Ruthless posted:

internet archaeologists

open container
Sep 16, 2008
please dig freedom drains op :patriot:

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
I bought some sweet rear end Thompson Creek gutters with a lifetime warranty and yearly maintenance so that I'll never had to get up on a ladder, even extends to the new owner if I sell my house. Mine go into rain barrels so that I can water my vegetable garden for free. Gutters are pretty useful op.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

HJE-Cobra posted:

Gutter covers are the right answer. When I was a kid I had to clean gutters too, but eventually my parents got that Gutter Helmet or whatever and never had to clean again.

having to help my dad clean the loving gutters twice a year growing up is exactly why i put covers on mine literally within a month of buying my house

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ANAmal.net posted:

spend an afternoon putting covers on your gutters and drinking beer on the roof, then never worry about it again

or dont live under trees i guess, either way you never have to clean a gutter again

Currently chopping down all the trees on my/my neighbors' property. Thanks for the tip!

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Dolphin posted:

OP, don't listen to anyone here, gutters are useless. I'll explain.

Many people believe that houses require foundations, but this is actually nonsense. Most homes are built with frames sufficiently strong to support the weight of the house, and therefore a solid concrete or block foundation is unnecessary. Furthermore, due to the materials and methods of construction, foundations are completely inflexible, and when the ground shifts due to natural settling or freezing and thawing, the blocks and concrete tend to crack and break. This eventually will lead to the collapse of the entire structure because the entire house is resting on the foundation. What most people don't know is that the foundation is the single most expensive structure in a home, and construction companies earn a whole lot of money by building them. So as you might guess, they have no desire to ditch the foundation paradigm. Old houses collapse, the companies get to sell you a new 20K+ foundation, the cycle continues.

Gutters are ostensibly designed to protect the foundation from the damaging effects of moisture. Because most roofs only overhang about 1.5 feet over the walls of the house, rainwater will tend to pool around the foundation, which will lead to the concrete taking in moisture and disintegrating. The gutter system is used because it really doesn't work well. Gutter seams almost always fail, and water will pool anyway. Leaves tend collect in the gutter, and this leads to pooling at the roof, which will destroy the roof of your home. Again, construction companies make a lot of money installing these pieces of crap, and when they destroy your house the construction company gets to sell you another one, with the knowledge that it will fail again in the future. There is no money in building lasting structures. A well built house has the following features:

1. No foundation. The ground should be leveled and bushes planted around the perimeter of the building. The bushes will ensure that water doesn't get under the house and cause rotting.
2. Joists built with pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber will not rot, and is flexible enough to accommodate changes shifts in the ground underneath.
3. Build taller, not wider. Since the ground is prone to shifting, the smaller the footprint, the better the structure. A smaller footprint will be less likely to warp, and the best way to make up the square footage is obviously to build higher.
4. Fewer windows. UV light is damaging and windows leak significant amounts of heat. No windows is obviously optimal, I have none in my house.
5. The optimal roof shape looks like a mushroom cap. This shape of roof will divert rain away from the base of the house much better than a typical roof, and because it has a much lower drag coefficient than a typical A-Frame, it will be much more stable in the event of high winds.
6. The furnaces should be in the center of the home to keep the heat centralized. The chimney should be central, and should not extend out from the roof but rather should be inset to further lower the drag coefficient of the roof. Any rain that falls near the chimney will be blown out by the exhaust from the furnace.
7. No gutters. Gutters fail, and damage the structure. They're also ugly.

My company has been building houses like this for years, and I've never had a complaint. I like to make the exterior beige stucco, and I prefer red shingles for the roof, but those colors are obviously dependent on preference. This is an image of my house, pardon the bushes being brown, it's winter and they haven't grown their leaves back yet.

I think you will agree, this is the best house.
Didn't see it coming, pleasantly surprised. (Quoting my mom here, yes)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

OP should be culled to improve the human race's average IQ

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They exist for me to climb up there and get the leaves out as far as I can tell.

P awesome imo.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

I hate these drat gutters. When it gets windy here (30mph+ usually), the drat things will vibrate and make the most godawful noise. They're properly braced. Not much I can do but take them down. :effort:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

You say "mine" but I think you mean "My parents' gutters where I still live." There's no way you have been alive for 17 full years and think rain gutters are just for... whatever stupid reason you said.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Update to the rain gutter situation: While hooking up the air compressor to blow the leaves out of the gutters, I became frustrated by the lack of a hole for a third prong on all the convenient outlets.

Why don't we just snip the third prong off all our plugs so we can just plug them in anywhere?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GORDON posted:

You say "mine" but I think you mean "My parents' gutters where I still live." There's no way you have been alive for 17 full years and think rain gutters are just for... whatever stupid reason you said.

The fact that my wife and I live in the same house as my parents is normal and natural (her parents' house was too small to move into). Multi-generational households are still very common.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Update to the rain gutter situation: While hooking up the air compressor to blow the leaves out of the gutters, I became frustrated by the lack of a hole for a third prong on all the convenient outlets.

Why don't we just snip the third prong off all our plugs so we can just plug them in anywhere?

Electric companies and construction crews making extra money off installing that unnecessary third hole

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

Electric companies and construction crews making extra money off installing that unnecessary third hole

I knew it! :argh:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Has someone made at "what is even the point of rain" parody thread yet?

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Dolphin posted:

Many people believe that houses require foundations, but this is actually nonsense. Most homes are built with frames sufficiently strong to support the weight of the house, and therefore a solid concrete or block foundation is unnecessary. Furthermore, due to the materials and methods of construction, foundations are completely inflexible, and when the ground shifts due to natural settling or freezing and thawing, the blocks and concrete tend to crack and break. This eventually will lead to the collapse of the entire structure because the entire house is resting on the foundation. What most people don't know is that the foundation is the single most expensive structure in a home, and construction companies earn a whole lot of money by building them. So as you might guess, they have no desire to ditch the foundation paradigm. Old houses collapse, the companies get to sell you a new 20K+ foundation, the cycle continues.

Gutters are ostensibly designed to protect the foundation from the damaging effects of moisture. Because most roofs only overhang about 1.5 feet over the walls of the house, rainwater will tend to pool around the foundation, which will lead to the concrete taking in moisture and disintegrating. The gutter system is used because it really doesn't work well. Gutter seams almost always fail, and water will pool anyway. Leaves tend collect in the gutter, and this leads to pooling at the roof, which will destroy the roof of your home. Again, construction companies make a lot of money installing these pieces of crap, and when they destroy your house the construction company gets to sell you another one, with the knowledge that it will fail again in the future. There is no money in building lasting structures. A well built house has the following features:

1. No foundation. The ground should be leveled and bushes planted around the perimeter of the building. The bushes will ensure that water doesn't get under the house and cause rotting.
2. Joists built with pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber will not rot, and is flexible enough to accommodate changes shifts in the ground underneath.
3. Build taller, not wider. Since the ground is prone to shifting, the smaller the footprint, the better the structure. A smaller footprint will be less likely to warp, and the best way to make up the square footage is obviously to build higher.
4. Fewer windows. UV light is damaging and windows leak significant amounts of heat. No windows is obviously optimal, I have none in my house.
5. The optimal roof shape looks like a mushroom cap. This shape of roof will divert rain away from the base of the house much better than a typical roof, and because it has a much lower drag coefficient than a typical A-Frame, it will be much more stable in the event of high winds.
6. The furnaces should be in the center of the home to keep the heat centralized. The chimney should be central, and should not extend out from the roof but rather should be inset to further lower the drag coefficient of the roof. Any rain that falls near the chimney will be blown out by the exhaust from the furnace.

My company has been building houses like this for years, and I've never had a complaint. I like to make the exterior beige stucco, and I prefer red shingles for the roof, but those colors are obviously dependent on preference. This is an image of my house, pardon the bushes being brown, it's winter and they haven't grown their leaves back yet.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

Has someone made at "what is even the point of rain" parody thread yet?

Better hurry!

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

satanic splash-back posted:

that unnecessary third hole

If you think that third hole is unnecessary idk what to tell you

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

West SAAB Story posted:

I hate these drat gutters. When it gets windy here (30mph+ usually), the drat things will vibrate and make the most godawful noise. They're properly braced. Not much I can do but take them down. :effort:

I had this problem too. Replaced all the gutter nails with gutter screws; it took care of it!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/FastenMaster-White-Gutter-Screws-25-Pack-FMGUT007-25W/202268255

Nice and cheap but I did almost die once or twice (still worth it).

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Having gutters would be nice so that I didn't have to put on fly fishing gear to take the garbage out every time it rains.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Why don't we just install a grounded outlet, after looking up how to do it safely? It isn't difficult.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dolphin posted:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Applewhite posted:

The third prong is useless and was designed to support wiring schemes that stopped being used in 1920s. Odds are that it's not even attached to anything. Companies include them because they're associated with being 'heavy duty' and convey a sense of quality to the potential buyer.

.random
May 7, 2007

ItBurns posted:

The third prong is useless and was designed to support wiring schemes that stopped being used in 1920s. Odds are that it's not even attached to anything. Companies include them because they're associated with being 'heavy duty' and convey a sense of quality to the potential buyer.

This is dangerously wrong. Please, for the love of god, don't listen to this idiot.

The third prong prevents dangerous levels of torsion being applied to the plug which can lead to a short, or, in some cases, an arc discharge which has been known to result in injury or death.

By way of demonstrating, one can plug in a standard 2-prong plug. Now rotate it clockwise, then counterclockwise (Important note: anticlockwise to our British friends). Notice how easy it is to "wiggle" the plug. Now remove the plug and insert a 3-pronged plug. Attempt to rotate, once again. One will notice how much more difficult it is to turn thanks to this "third leg."

This is also the same phenomenon upon which trains rely. You may have heard of the "third rail" on train tracks. This rail provides the same anti-rotational benefits as described above.

Mods, please edit the the post I quoted to remove dangerous misinformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
I bought a new house in a kind of swampy part of Virginia a few months ago and one of my first tasks after moving in was to put up gutters. So I'm up on the roof installing them when one my my new neighbors comes on over, a real goofy looking dude. He offers to lend me a hand. Guy says he's an engineer and has a lot of DIY experience, so I say sure, come on up, why not meet the neighbors.

He immediately starts smashing holes into the roof straight through the ceiling and when I start yelling at him he got all pissed and confused and asked me how else I planned to run up the wires for the gutter outlets.

• Locked thread