Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Is having a sheet of water pouring off your roof really so horrible that it necessitates an entire preventive apparatus and all the associated cleaning and maintenance that comes with it?

Fact: Approx. 50,000 people are hospitalized for ladder-related injuries each year while cleaning out rain gutters.

Fact: 0 people are hospitalized each year for injuries related to walking through a curtain of water that is slightly thicker than the rain through which they were already walking.

Bottom line: my wife wants me to clean out the gutters and I'm debating whether to just remove our gutters altogether to eliminate the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

redirects water to an area where it can be drained in a sustained and controlled fashion. close thread.

Oh like having it all collect at once corner of the house is soooo much better than having it dispersed evenly across the whole front.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lots of strong opinions about rain gutters ITT

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Trast posted:

To collect tennis balls and dead raccoons.

best answer. This guy gets it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

yes usually it redirects into a drain pipe

Mine empty out onto little concrete troughs before ultimately draining directly onto the lawn.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ANAmal.net posted:

spend an afternoon putting covers on your gutters and drinking beer on the roof, then never worry about it again

or dont live under trees i guess, either way you never have to clean a gutter again

Currently chopping down all the trees on my/my neighbors' property. Thanks for the tip!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Update to the rain gutter situation: While hooking up the air compressor to blow the leaves out of the gutters, I became frustrated by the lack of a hole for a third prong on all the convenient outlets.

Why don't we just snip the third prong off all our plugs so we can just plug them in anywhere?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GORDON posted:

You say "mine" but I think you mean "My parents' gutters where I still live." There's no way you have been alive for 17 full years and think rain gutters are just for... whatever stupid reason you said.

The fact that my wife and I live in the same house as my parents is normal and natural (her parents' house was too small to move into). Multi-generational households are still very common.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

Electric companies and construction crews making extra money off installing that unnecessary third hole

I knew it! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

Has someone made at "what is even the point of rain" parody thread yet?

Better hurry!

• Locked thread