Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Last night I woke to a shadowy figure with wings like a dragonfly standing in the corner of my room and oscillating in a sawtooth drone that cut at the corners of my soul. In the morning I laughed at that silly dream and remembered today was time to upload a new video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
The tequila puzzle could have been pretty straight forward adventure game logic, but they messed it up pretty bad. They should at least have a hint in there somewhere that the water could pass as liquor, like a different speech from Cranny if you try to give her the bottle. Having the water change color to red is just stupid on so many levels.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

kjetting posted:

The tequila puzzle could have been pretty straight forward adventure game logic, but they messed it up pretty bad. They should at least have a hint in there somewhere that the water could pass as liquor, like a different speech from Cranny if you try to give her the bottle. Having the water change color to red is just stupid on so many levels.

Turning water to an alcoholic beverage via a worm/bug is something I could see working as a logical step in a game written by a Chinese or Japanese team, but it's kind of out of place here.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Wales Grey posted:

Turning water to an alcoholic beverage via a worm/bug is something I could see working as a logical step in a game written by a Chinese or Japanese team, but it's kind of out of place here.

So are puzzles about snot in a "dark" game about going to hell and trying to escape.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Seyser Koze posted:

So are puzzles about snot in a "dark" game about going to hell and trying to escape.

You've clearly never played Dante's Inferno.

Sniff again!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seyser Koze posted:

If you think this game is trying to be dark, then loving everything is out of place.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

If you think this game is trying to be dark, then loving everything is out of place.

I honestly can't tell if this is a game that's trying to be funny and failing at it, or a game that's trying to be super dark and cool and be about dead people and demons and stuff but which has an author too juvenile to maintain the tone.

The sort of thing you might write when you're 12.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Seyser Koze posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is a game that's trying to be funny and failing at it, or a game that's trying to be super dark and cool and be about dead people and demons and stuff but which has an author too juvenile to maintain the tone.

Overall, I'd say the answer is "yes."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seyser Koze posted:

Like, the overall plot seems to be trying to be super dark and cool, but they hardly touch on it, and the majority of the character interactions seem to be the former.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Seyser Koze posted:

Considering it was originally coming out for the Amiga, I don't think you're incorrect...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I forgot to say until now, but is it just me, or does the "head" character (the one that served Grunger) sound an awful lot like a Jim Henson voice? Like, he could be Rowlf the way he sounds.

Also, this LP gets bonus points for the end music this last time.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Seyser Koze posted:

It doesn´t make any sense either way, regardless of the tone. Why would feeding anyone their own boogers make them fall asleep? The bottle label reads "sleeping snot", does that mean that any snot put in there magically becomes sleeping snot? Is it another pun that only brits can understand, like "Cranny human being"?

Looking at the screenshots from the Amiga demo, it seems like it had the same characters, locations, and probably puzzles and jokes. You´d think that sometime during the 10+ years between that version and the released one someone would realize that maybe a few of these ideas weren´t as brilliant as they thought when they were younger.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Let's not forget how ridiculous even tiny bits of the writing are in isolation. "You are destiny's weapon against fate" belongs in a lovely final fantasy fanfic.

E: If this game weren't known for stealing assets, it'd be known as the heartbreaker that was so terrible after so long in production that it utterly destroyed the developer.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 2, 2015

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
I appreciate the inserted jump scare. You managed to add something so much more unsettling and creepy in one second than the entirety of this game so far has.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
If you watch the trailer for this game, which I think didn't actually ship with the game, it actually explains some of the plot and background. Fate and Destiny, the actual physical embodiments of, are having a slap fight over which one is better and poor ol Benjamin Spooner Briggs is their pawn. Or something. I don't think that ever comes up in the actual game, either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pvt.Scott posted:

If you watch the trailer for this game, which I think didn't actually ship with the game, it actually explains some of the plot and background. Fate and Destiny, the actual physical embodiments of, are having a slap fight over which one is better and poor ol Benjamin Spooner Briggs is their pawn. Or something. I don't think that ever comes up in the actual game, either.

Because somehow Fate and Destiny are separate and competing concepts. That's the most hilarious thing about all this in my opinion.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Because somehow Fate and Destiny are separate and competing concepts. That's the most hilarious thing about all this in my opinion.

One of them represents free will. The story isn't clear on which.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, I've heard of at least a couple other things that have 'fate' and 'destiny' being used with free will versus not. Fate being preordained with nothing you can do to change it; ie 'fated to die'. Whereas destiny lets you have a partial influence.

But the modern definitions have them interchangeable. Though glancing at this article it might just be the outlook on the concept, fate being you give up trying to influence it, while destiny is you still try. This interpretation might be a minority one though.

Now if that's what was intended by the developers, I have no idea.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Fate has a slightly negative connotation in modern English while destiny has a slightly positive one, I guess. So there's that. It sounds better to my ear to say "he was fated to die violently" and "it was his destiny to become rich" but they're still perfectly interchangeable, really.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Pvt.Scott posted:

Technically it came up in the latest update.

Some horrible video game posted:

BRIGGS: So, tell me, am I dead?

KEEPER OF POOR VOICE ACTING: Dead? Why, no. You are the walker between worlds. Destiny's weapon against Fate. The Chosen One.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

kjetting posted:

It doesn´t make any sense either way, regardless of the tone. Why would feeding anyone their own boogers make them fall asleep? The bottle label reads "sleeping snot", does that mean that any snot put in there magically becomes sleeping snot? Is it another pun that only brits can understand, like "Cranny human being"?

That's not a pun or anything, that one's just loving stupid.

E: Pardon my language, Mrs. Davidspackage.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

That's okay dear!

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm this sure is an Interesting game so far!!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I can't get enough of how everyone just mashes their face into the camera whenever they're talking.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Even without the stolen assets, this still would be known as a terrible game for the writing, voices, stupid nonsensical puzzles, the look/sense/use/take interface, the lack of variety in response from the look button, the large environments padding playtime with lots of backtracking, the childish humor, the confusing fate/destiny backstory, and a whole lot of other problems. There was an SSLP some time ago that did a good job of showcasing all the stolen assets, but some things just have to be seen in motion to appreciate just how terrible they are.

kjetting fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 5, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

kjetting posted:

Even without the stolen assets, this still would be known as a terrible game for the writing, voices, stupid nonsensical puzzles, the look/sense/use/take interface, the lack of variety in response from the look button, the large environments padding playtime with lots of backtracking, the childish humor, the confusing fate/destiny backstory, and a whole lot of other problems. There was an SSLP some time ago that did a good job of showcasing all the stolen assets, but some things just have to be seen in motion to appreciate just how terrible they are.

The constant face zooms are much more terrifying in motion than they could ever be in stills.

E: Dark id's LP can be found here. Spoilers, because, uh, it's a complete LP of this game in a screenshot format. There may be better sources for discussions of this game's asset theft. Dunno.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 5, 2015

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

kjetting posted:

To be fair, its pretty on par with other adventure games designed around the time it was designed.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Which had a longer Dev time, Limbo of the Lost or Duke Nukem Forever?

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Which had a longer Dev time, Limbo of the Lost or Duke Nukem Forever?

They started in 1992.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Spoilers, because, uh, it's a complete LP of this game in a screenshot format. There may be better sources for discussions of this game's asset theft. Dunno.

There's an entire wiki devoted to it, in fact. Fascinating reading - though also a bit spoilery.

For an extremely blatant example. Diablo players may find the "paintings" in the Three Dogs room somewhat familiar...

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I'm still utterly baffled that they thought they could get away with stealing assets from Oblivion.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Peter Parker has sure fallen on hard times to end up in this game. gah.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

If I ever make an adventure game it will probably also involve art assets taken from varied sources and all mashed together. The difference is that I would do my best to get permission for the use of anything not mine and it wouldn't be a commercial release anyway. There's nothing wrong with appropriating things to make new work out of it as long as you cite your sources and seek permission, especially for a commercial venture. Limbo of the Lost just hoped nobody would notice.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Here is another video clip!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Even Benjamin's had enough of this by now.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Don't users get permabanned if they are found to be dead irl? Best get that Necronomicon up.

VV I personally like the IE image error icon as a Firefox user. Legit pro choice.

edit: I apologize for the plagiarized content contained in my post. It was submitted by a third party contractor. Who knew it was so hard to post in video games forum

USER BANNED FOR ACCOUNT SHARING

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 7, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
With this latest update we can see how this game truly is a return to adventure game roots, where the challenge is to figure out which particular drug the developers were high on when they wrote a given puzzle.

Lesser adventure games might have given some custom dialog for Briggs when you tried to use the metal bar on the hole, indicating that you were part-way there but you required something else. Modern carebear adventure games might even go so far as to have Briggs stick the pole in and remark that he needs a handle of some form. Not this game! It expects you to realize of course jamming a metal pole in there won't work, so why would you even try that?, you need to turn it into a proper crank wheel with a ship's wheel first.

Truly a return to the finest adventure game traditions of 1995.

(Please no one make me explain the joke.)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The ship's wheel does have a square hole...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Jesus, the face zooms just keep getting more and more intense.

You're gonna DIE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I hon estly do like the characte rs and writing in this game. Parts of it are quite charming. C̖̲͓͇̊ͤ̊̆ͤ̇̚aptai͖̯̝ͧͧn̦ͦͨ͂Whats-His-Face is just so OVER this crappy 'horror', and it mig ht have been to the ga me's strengt h if it was done ev en more like a third-rate haunted house set up in an illegal flea market. You know the kind, smells like vomit and AXE, everything was shoplifted or bought from the dollar store, nobody 's sure why they're there, the employe es are all e ither family of the owner or haven't been paid in we e ks. It reeks of desperation and cheap.

That would be a good game. On the surface it's another Limbo of the Lost with sto len assets, the p r otagonist is just so over this s hit, it pre se n ts it's s elf as a goofy lucas a r ts thing, we're all going along wit h it, but then thi ng s de c a y̖̱͙͎͇̦͚̤̝̟̲͚͍̺̤

• Locked thread