Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I am a 27 year old woman with a college degree who works in an office in NYC all day. I haven't ever been happy doing what I do, which is a mishmash of writing/editing, database management, website management, communications stuff... basically, typical liberal arts BA stuff. All along, though, I've assumed that the problem was the specific work environment, or my manager, or the mission. Because the idea of NOT working in an office is just not how I have ever pictured my life. And then, recently, I was encouraged to do a little thought exercise where I pretended I could not work in an office, and think of what I might like to do then. And I thought of a few things, and discarded them, and then I hit on carpentry and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I have always been creative and good with my hands, and many of my hobbies have involved constructing or otherwise physically creating things that require precision and concentration. I enjoy and am good at DIY activities like putting up shelves, though I don't currently have much in the way of woodworking experience. And I'm good at math; I took two years of calc in high school and got a 710 on the math portion of the SAT. And I know that I excel at jobs that involve collaboration, working within constraints, and producing a physical product at the end.

Everyone is always saying that not enough Millennials are entering the trades, and carpentry is supposed to exceed the average job growth over the next 20 years, so this doesn't seem COMPLETELY insane. But I'm 27, a woman, and have no experience, so it does seem a LITTLE insane.

I've found a local organization (N.E.W.) that gives women basic training in the trades and then helps them find entry-level jobs, and I'm reaching out to people I know who know carpenters. Does anyone here have and other ideas or advice for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread