Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

What the hell are you doing?

Hamlet, written by William Shakespeare, is among the most famous plays of all time. A Western tragedy written around the year 1600 and set in Denmark, it is an excellent play that has inspired writers, artists, and filmmakers for hundreds of years. Many film adaptations of Hamlet have been produced from the start of the 20th century hence, some winning major awards and starring major celebrity actors such as Lawrence Olivier and Mel Gibson. Full texts of the script of Hamlet are also available online here and elsewhere.

Ryan North is a webcomic writer best known for working on Dinosaur Comics since 2003. Dinosaur Comics manages to be even more minimalist in its art style than xkcd's stick figure stylings -- the gimmick of Dinosaur Comics is that every comic is the same set of panels depicting dinosaurs, with only the dialogue and captions changing each update. Ryan North has also written short webcomics for the Namco ShiftyLook project, including a survival horror interpretation of Dig Dug and a bizarre-but-sorta-faithful retelling of Galaga. Both those comics had the Chris Hastings/Anthony Clark duo behind Dr. McNinja doing the artwork and some co-writing. I'd link the comics, but the ShiftyLook website and all its contents evaporated and I haven't yet found an archive of those two comics in particular. Ryan North has also done writing for the Adventure Time comic book series, which apparently exists.

Ryan North's To Be or Not To Be is a Choose Your Own Adventure book adaptation of Hamlet funded by a successful Kickstarter back in 2012. The book raised $580,000 on Kickstarter and met all of its stretch goals, including the addition of storylines for Ophelia and Hamlet Sr., and was published in September of 2013. More recently the game was adapted into an electronic form using Tin Man Games's Gamebook Adventures Engine and saw a Steam release for Windows, Mac, and Linux as well as mobile releases through Google Play and the iOS App Store. I will be running the iOS app for this Let's Play unless it comes up that the Steam release has additional content.

The gamebook has pleasantly surprised me by being decently interesting and funny, even if the humor is often hit-or-miss with a hint of monkey cheese. The creators appear to have put a decent amount of effort into the electronic release too, with illustrations contributed by pretty much every noteworthy webcomic artist; the illustrator credits include Kate Beaton, Chris Hastings, Randall Munroe, Mike Krahulik, and numerous others. Notably, Tim Buckley is absent from that list. I haven't done most of the gamebook's endings, and don't know how deep it goes except that judging by the list of locked illustrations and achievements I've only just scratched the surface.

How is this LP going to work?

I'll transcribe text and provide screenshots, particularly of decision screens as well as illustrations, achievements, and other unique content that appears. Game text will be in normal format; my commentary will be in underlined italics.

When a decision screen comes up, everybody will get to vote on it. I'll try and update once every day or two.

When we hit an ending, I'll give everybody a few days to vote on where we pick up. The game appears to have fast skipping of previously-viewed scenes and a somewhat decent checkpoint system, which will facilitate this. I might divert to other somewhat-hidden easter egg content between runs.

The credits point to AudioBlocks as the source for sound effects and music, and I have tracked down some of the audio there. It's all stock audio, but I'll try to provide links.

Are you going to do the awesome super secret ending where--

I'm putting in a standing rule for this LP: You can spoil Hamlet all you want; it's public domain and probably everybody here has studied it at some point in high school or college. Talk about Hamlet, talk about Hamlet movies, Hamlet scenes, the ending of Hamlet, whatever. However, if you've played this game, don't spoil original game content, even in spoiler tags. Don't drop hints and references about things we haven't yet seen, don't post about how excited you are about this upcoming part that'll shock everybody and blow everybody away. As we exhaust more and more of the different story paths and endings, I'll consider relaxing the no-spoiler rule to facilitate getting to obscure game content, and will edit this post if and when the rule is pulled.

That being said, this game was crowdfunded by webcomic fans, and thus I can't guarantee that all of the jokes will be funny or even non-cringe-inducing. Criticism and mockery is encouraged. Given that this is babby's first LP I'm more than open to suggestions on how to improve the presentation as well.

Music

quote:

This is what we're looking at for most of the game. Button labels are self-explanatory; rewind and fast-forward are particularly useful for backtracking and re-running sequences. Tapping the screen makes more blocks of text appear, advancing the narrative.

quote:

Like so. When transcribing these text blocks I'm merging most of them, and giving my best guess about when to start new lines or paragraphs. A lot of blocks of texts are chunks of long sentences broken up with ellipsis; I usually cut out the ellipsis or replace them with commas.

quote:

To Be or Not To Be is both the earliest recorded example of the "books as game" genre as well as the first instance ever in the then-newish English language that was kicking around of an adventure being chosen by YOU, the reader.

We've gone ahead and added illustrations, plus we've taken the liberty of marking with tiny Yorick skulls the choices Shakespeare himself made when he plagiarized this book back in olden times.

The little right-pointed fleur-de-lis symbol at the bottom indicates that another tap will advance the page, wiping all the text blocks and starting anew.

However, that is not the only way to read this book! Feel free to explore your other options, as each time you read this book you can go on a different adventure, assuming you don't read the book 3,001,181,439,094,525 times at which point the adventure will start to repeat and they'll probably seem pretty familiar long before then anyway.

Now, take yourself back to History, when ghosts walked the Earth and nobody knew velociraptors were ever even a thing. Steel yourself to experience the magic of Shakespeare as it was meant to be experienced: In a non-deterministic narrative structure where you end up thinking maybe you made a wrong decision, so you mark the pages you were just on so you can always go back and make a different choice if you die for some dumb reason.

To be, or not to be: that is the adventure.

Both the other two are gimmick answers and will be looked into as intermission segments. We can see the first occurrence of one of the aforementioned Yorick skulls here, and we're going to go with that.

quote:

Now SURPRISE, babies are boring, so we're going to jump ahead in time to a point where you're an adult and you've already lived a bunch of your life, but I promise most of what we're skipping over was really dull.

You ate a lot and slept a lot and made some friends, tears were shed, makeouts were totally had, etc. It was a bunch of high school stuff: the awesome stuff starts now! So! Let's begin, my friend!

Um... remind me again who you are? Are you...

Put your votes in bold. Hamlet's age as described here is accurate to the play, interestingly enough.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I have this game on my Steam wishlist so it's time to see if it's any good. Let's start of with Hamlet for now.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure someone here has Ophelia as their avatar.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hamlet Sr. The man, the myth the legend.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rock out with my Sr. out.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I want to see how this goes off the rails.

Hamlet Sr.

Also, this is like .94 cents on Steam right now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I pick Hamlet Sr. after rolling a d6.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I was gonna make a joke about Hamlet Sr. being the "Mac-daddy" but then I remembered this is not Macbeth but my vote's for him anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dadlet.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hamdad

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hamlet Sr.

It's sort of hard to go wrong with an unstoppable machine of death assuming we keep our ears covered.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Night10194 posted:

It's sort of hard to go wrong with an unstoppable machine of death assuming we keep our ears covered.

King Hamlet's To-Do List:
  1. Conquer Norway
  2. Kill Claudius
  3. Tell the boy to stop being a pussy
  4. ????
  5. Retire

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
haha this guy called dinosaur comics poo poo

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Overnight the voting has turned almost unanimously in the favor of Hamlet Dad so we're going to go with that. Let's go and see where choosing his story starts us.

quote:

At present, you are in Norway, where just this afternoon you led Denmark's forces to an astounding victory during which you PERSONALLY killed the Norwegian king.

Stabbed him right through the head, you did. His eye popped out and rolled on the ground and then you stepped on it. Whoah! Your rear end is bad! You are a badass!!

You decide after a day of being good at fighting, you should have a nap. You've earned it! You settle down in an orchard for some nappy times.

As soon as that first text block appears the background goes green for the remainder of this segment. It's a nice little touch.

Except that we're already dead. Big illustrations like this appear at various points, usually when you die and/or the game ends somehow. The unlock screen also appears, complete with falling confetti, whether or not you've already seen that artwork. This is the last time I'll show it. Newly-viewed artwork is added to the game's gallery, with an infocard about the artist; I'm setting each image to have a hyperlink to the respective infocard.

We also get our first achievement, reminding us that choosing to play as Hamlet's dad got us killed immediately.

However...

quote:

It takes more than death to knock Hamlet Dad out of the story. Put your votes in bold. No Yorick skull this time to guide us.

Turns out some of the audio in this game is harder to find than expected, even if it's all pretty dull.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Also, this is like .94 cents on Steam right now.

Not seeing it at that price. You have a link?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2015

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
This looks pretty neat, but your OP looks like a savage bout of tryhard-coolguy gripped you in the process of writing it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Do not become a ghost. Ghosts are known jerkwads and nerds. We don't want to be either of those, do we?

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Just came in, saw this. If we become a ghost, then the Ghostbusters will come and we'll have to fight a gorilla. No gorillas in ancient Denmark, I'm afraid. Do not become a ghost.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Small Frozen Thing posted:

This looks pretty neat, but your OP looks like a savage bout of tryhard-coolguy gripped you in the process of writing it.

You're right; it needs a rewrite. Will get it softened up this evening when I'm not at work. My expectations for this game are fairly low but I was leaning way too hard on the "THIS GAME AND EVERYBODY ASSOCIATED WITH IT IS ABSOLUTE poo poo" angle.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Man, gently caress ghosts, let's not join the legion of the dead.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Be the ghost dad.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Ghooost dad :ghost:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Not seeing it at that price. You have a link?

Ha ha ha holy poo poo they dropped the sale. gently caress Ryan North. I was going to buy it and saw your LP so thanks for saving me .94 cents. Now $11.99

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Ghosts are so done. Everybody is on Frankenwolves now. Do not become a ghost.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Become a ghost and don't remove the link to loss.jpg in the OP

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ghost Dad

Get revenge from beyond the grave!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No ghost.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

No glorifying Cosby, we will not be ghost dad.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Cleaned up the OP a bit. Voting closes at 10 PM CST.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Be ghost dad.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Looks like we're in need of a tiebreaker vote. Next vote decides our path.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
No ghost.

I figure this is good for a second game-over already.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

No ghost.

I figure this is good for a second game-over already.

You figure correctly!

quote:

Something about that style of art, construction of panels, and voluminousness of text seems very familiar. :ughh:

And yes, this really is a game over this time, so we get taken right to the HAML-O-METER to see how we did.

quote:

It's got spotlights knocking around the scene and lights that flick up and down the meter for a bit before settling at the very bottom. It's hard to catch the meter lights in a screenshot, since they blink constantly, but we got the worst rank. To elaborate on that:

quote:

We literally died in one decision and ceased to exist forever in the next decision.

quote:

We have checkpoints at the character select and at Dead Hamlet Dad's first decision. This gives us three options to choose from for our next playthrough.

Votes go in bold.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 5, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yes ghost.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Re-Ghost Dad.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012