Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamnit Hamlet Sr I told you to keep your ear covered man, I told you bro.

Now you're a ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Become Patrick Swayze

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Let go of your earthly tether, and become ghost.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

I find it amusing that 'once upon a time a king died and chose not to be a spooky ghost the end' is considered 'better than Shakespeare'. Then again, even Shakespeare wrote some... not so great stuff.

(We need to get some serious Shakespeare buff in here to nerd out about Hamlet.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FredMSloniker posted:

I find it amusing that 'once upon a time a king died and chose not to be a spooky ghost the end' is considered 'better than Shakespeare'. Then again, even Shakespeare wrote some... not so great stuff.

(We need to get some serious Shakespeare buff in here to nerd out about Hamlet.)

Well if you read that same story from the other characters' POVs, it turns into a tale of the PERFECT CRIME by Hamlet's Uncle (whose name i can't remember oh nooo i'm gonna fail 11th grade English)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I knew where Hamlet Sr was going the second they mentioned one of his special talents was naps.

Also because I have read/seen Hamlet like a dozen times.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Time is like a river.

A river made of Ghost Dads

Imagine four ghost dads at the edge of a cliff. Say the first ghost dad chooses nonexistance...

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'm going ghost!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Vote's as unanimous as it gets. Let's see how Hamlet Dad can do as a spooky afterlife ghost.

Music

quote:

You get to spend all your time slamming doors, rattling chains, and telling on the person who killed you!

But here’s the thing: I, the author, told you, the reader, that your brother poured poison in your ear while you napped. But you, as Hamlet Sr., have no idea how you died! You slept through the whole thing.

So you need to figure out who killed you if you’re going to revenge yourself on your murderer, assuming you even WERE murdered. Because remember that for all you know, you could’ve died of a heart attack!

This is an example of dramatic irony, only since we’re in the second person, it’s an amazing example of an entirely new species of dramatic irony: something I’m going to call Second Person Pronoun-Paradoxical Auto-Dramatic Irony.

You are now aware of information that you’re not aware of. This should be fun!

Ghostly Hamlet Dad is off to a rough start, and Yorick's still nowhere to be seen.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 5, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, nobody could live forever. We must have had a heart attack during us skilling up our Naps skill.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
We must be a ghost for SOME reason. If we were really ready to accept a heart attack, we would have just moved on, wouldn't we? Let's hang around for a while and listen in on people.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Our ears are practically aching for some sweet gossip and we wouldn't want to hit another dead end (get it because we are dead), so let's drop some eaves.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
As if ancient Denmarkians even KNEW about heart attacks. Not knowing how you died and assuming you died from something that wasn't discovered until a few later centuries is a super form of irony. Let's go irony-er. Heart Attack

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Clearly murder was afoot! Let's drop some eaves on the suckers.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Let's go 3 for 3. Clearly it was a heart attack.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Stay a while and listen, friend!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This better not be another one-off choice.

Heart attack

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

dreezy posted:

Our ears are practically aching for some sweet gossip and we wouldn't want to hit another dead end (get it because we are dead), so let's drop some eaves.

Actually since dead-ends unlock art you want to hit all the dead ends just to see if the art is any good. Maybe not for an LP, though.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Ghostly Hamlet Dad is off to a rough start, and Yorick's still nowhere to be seen.

I think it's reasonably non-spoilery to say that once you're off the trail of Yorick skulls, you're not getting back to Shakespeare's version of events any time soon. Of course, even I haven't gotten through a whole lot of the game, I just took the skulls for my first playthrough, so maybe it will join back up in the future? Just, don't be expecting skulls near the start except when playing as Prince Hamlet.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 25, 2015

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Does the iOS app include the 'prequel', Alas, Poor Yorick?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Heart attack

Everyone loves us, after all, can't have been murder or such nonsense.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

If we're going to be all Phantom Detective about our own death we're going to need to listen up.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Qylvaran posted:

Does the iOS app include the 'prequel', Alas, Poor Yorick?

Doesn't appear to, but Ryan North did release Poor Yorick in ebook form as a free download from one of his websites so I've gone ahead and grabbed it. It's pretty short at 35 pages in PDF form and has some illustrations by Tyson Hesse, and the mobile book form has tappable links for making decisions without flipping between pages.

From here on out, each time we hit an ending I'll give everybody the option to vote to divert to Poor Yorick, playing until we hit an ending there. I'll go into more detail about what Poor Yorick is when the time to vote comes. Voting on our current decision closes at 10 CST.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 25, 2015

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Listen in on people. Worst case, we get some juicy gossip for the next spooky Stitch 'n Bitch. Those ghostly shrouds don't make themselves.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Right, so having looked through Poor Yorick I have the following observations.

It's extremely short, with the total number of scenes numbering in the dozens, and the longest story path is fewer than 10 choices long. There are, however, a lot of different endings, enough that I'd be comfortable using Yorick's misadventures to fill in the gaps between each of our runs of To Be or Not To Be. My inclination is thus to alternate between the two, running To Be or Not To Be to an ending and then running Yorick around until he meets his demise. Once we hit the end of our current run, we'll switch over to Yorick and get him killed, which seriously happens really loving fast no matter what we do, and then we'll go back to To Be or Not To Be.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Another very close vote, as we begin our investigation into our own demise.

quote:

You only speak Danish, so understanding Norwegian is a little difficult. It all sounds like Swedish to you! Which actually makes a lot of sense, since Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are all related North Germanic languages descended from early linguistic differentiation between regular Germanic speakers and North Germanic speakers around 200 AD.

You nod your head, agreeing that all of this is both accurate and extremely interesting.

While these three languages are GENERALLY supposed to be mutually intelligible, you find you can understand Norwegian speakers only if you're concentrating -- which you are -- and only if they're speaking slowly and clearly -- which they're not, as everyone is running around upset about war and all these kings getting killed.

Ironically, Norwegian speakers can understand Danish easier than Danish speakers understand Norwegian, but that doesn't help you much! That would only be useful if you were playing as the Norwegian king whose ghost has stowed away on YOUR army's boat headed back to Denmark, but I haven't given you that option even though it would be extremely awesome. If you're wondering what happens to this Vengeful Ghost King, I can tell you only this: THE ANSWER EXISTS IN YOUR IMAGINATION??

But here's the good news, it turns out WRITTEN Danish and WRITTEN Norwegian are actually pretty similar! So you spend the next several nights haunting people, quietly reading their diaries while they sleep peacefully in their beds. And you don't know this, but ghosts do this all the time. Ghosts just love sneaking a peek at the secrets of the living!

It takes a while, but you finally find the diary of someone who wrote on the day you died that she was wandering by a garden, minding her own business when she saw some Danish guy pour something in some other Danish guy's ear!

Hey! That sounds like what could've happened to you (but remember you don't know that's exactly what happened to you because of that new irony we invented)!

Let none ever say that the Ghost King wasn't a resourceful old bastard.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 5, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do it with paper.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Do the written thing.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Use a piece of paper to ask

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Write it down, that's the whole point of that extended nonsequitur about norwegian just now.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Ghosts can't manipulate physical objects, that's poltergeists. Are we Poltergeist Dad? I think not. Let's have a friendly chat using our lovely ghost voice.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
But can we speak Norwegian? We know Danish and Norwegian are similar in written format, so let's write.

And if we can't physically write due to our non-corporeal nature, then gently caress it for giving us a choice we couldn't acquiesce to in the first place.

Question by written format, explaining carefully that we are writting to this person because the Norwegian language eludes us, due to the fact that we're a murdered Danish king. Hope you understand. Much obliged, Former King Hamlet Sr. Esq.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Counterpoint: "Norwegian speakers can understand Danish easier than Danish speakers understand Norwegian".

Additional counterpoint: "you can understand Norwegian speakers only if you're concentrating ... and only if they're speaking slowly and clearly".

Third and final counterpoint: Ryan North's a dick and that's just the kind of poo poo he'd pull.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh hey, I have the actual physical book-version of this book. Also of Poor Yorick.

Anyway, write something down with a ghost-pen

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The votes are in, and it turns out that despite being a ghost and not a poltergeist, we can still both flip through diaries and handle writing utensils. Never underestimate the Ghost King of Denmark.

quote:

You gently shake the woman awake while holding the piece of paper up in front of her. She's freaked out initially (she was just woken up by a g-g-g-g-ghostly apparition from beyond the grave) but once she reads your note, she looks at you and suspiciously and says, "For real?"

You flip over the paper and write, "YEAH I'M THE GUY THAT GOT KILLED MAYBE, AND I GUESS I WANT TO REVENGE MY DEATH OR WHATEVER? BUT PLEASE SPEAK SLOWLY AS NORWEGIAN IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE; I'M FROM DENMARK."

"Oh," the woman says in Danish, "I speak Danish too."

"Kick rear end," you reply.

She tells you what she saw and gives you a physical description of the guy. Unfortunately, the man answering to her description could only be one person: your brother, Claudius!!

You're feeling pretty chuffed about this whole situation!

Okay! Let's revenge your death! Your murderer is getting away with it in Denmark.

That came through pretty well! But is the Ghost King as good at swimming as he is at investigation and diplomacy? Or should he just take a safer and perhaps slower route back to his homeland?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 5, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghosts don't get tired, swim that bitch!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Swim

Not like ghosts are impeded by water like vampires, right?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Go for a swim. Ophelia's the one with the -1 weakness against water, not us, and worst case we end up haunting some fishes and hey that's cool too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Swim like Beowulf

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Swim. You're good at everything aren't you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

I don't want to be the odd one, but I'm pretty sure it's faster by boat and revenge IS a dish best serve pipping hot.

Cross fingers for a ghost ship.

• Locked thread