Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

What the hell are you doing?

Hamlet, written by William Shakespeare, is among the most famous plays of all time. A Western tragedy written around the year 1600 and set in Denmark, it is an excellent play that has inspired writers, artists, and filmmakers for hundreds of years. Many film adaptations of Hamlet have been produced from the start of the 20th century hence, some winning major awards and starring major celebrity actors such as Lawrence Olivier and Mel Gibson. Full texts of the script of Hamlet are also available online here and elsewhere.

Ryan North is a webcomic writer best known for working on Dinosaur Comics since 2003. Dinosaur Comics manages to be even more minimalist in its art style than xkcd's stick figure stylings -- the gimmick of Dinosaur Comics is that every comic is the same set of panels depicting dinosaurs, with only the dialogue and captions changing each update. Ryan North has also written short webcomics for the Namco ShiftyLook project, including a survival horror interpretation of Dig Dug and a bizarre-but-sorta-faithful retelling of Galaga. Both those comics had the Chris Hastings/Anthony Clark duo behind Dr. McNinja doing the artwork and some co-writing. I'd link the comics, but the ShiftyLook website and all its contents evaporated and I haven't yet found an archive of those two comics in particular. Ryan North has also done writing for the Adventure Time comic book series, which apparently exists.

Ryan North's To Be or Not To Be is a Choose Your Own Adventure book adaptation of Hamlet funded by a successful Kickstarter back in 2012. The book raised $580,000 on Kickstarter and met all of its stretch goals, including the addition of storylines for Ophelia and Hamlet Sr., and was published in September of 2013. More recently the game was adapted into an electronic form using Tin Man Games's Gamebook Adventures Engine and saw a Steam release for Windows, Mac, and Linux as well as mobile releases through Google Play and the iOS App Store. I will be running the iOS app for this Let's Play unless it comes up that the Steam release has additional content.

The gamebook has pleasantly surprised me by being decently interesting and funny, even if the humor is often hit-or-miss with a hint of monkey cheese. The creators appear to have put a decent amount of effort into the electronic release too, with illustrations contributed by pretty much every noteworthy webcomic artist; the illustrator credits include Kate Beaton, Chris Hastings, Randall Munroe, Mike Krahulik, and numerous others. Notably, Tim Buckley is absent from that list. I haven't done most of the gamebook's endings, and don't know how deep it goes except that judging by the list of locked illustrations and achievements I've only just scratched the surface.

How is this LP going to work?

I'll transcribe text and provide screenshots, particularly of decision screens as well as illustrations, achievements, and other unique content that appears. Game text will be in normal format; my commentary will be in underlined italics.

When a decision screen comes up, everybody will get to vote on it. I'll try and update once every day or two.

When we hit an ending, I'll give everybody a few days to vote on where we pick up. The game appears to have fast skipping of previously-viewed scenes and a somewhat decent checkpoint system, which will facilitate this. I might divert to other somewhat-hidden easter egg content between runs.

The credits point to AudioBlocks as the source for sound effects and music, and I have tracked down some of the audio there. It's all stock audio, but I'll try to provide links.

Are you going to do the awesome super secret ending where--

I'm putting in a standing rule for this LP: You can spoil Hamlet all you want; it's public domain and probably everybody here has studied it at some point in high school or college. Talk about Hamlet, talk about Hamlet movies, Hamlet scenes, the ending of Hamlet, whatever. However, if you've played this game, don't spoil original game content, even in spoiler tags. Don't drop hints and references about things we haven't yet seen, don't post about how excited you are about this upcoming part that'll shock everybody and blow everybody away. As we exhaust more and more of the different story paths and endings, I'll consider relaxing the no-spoiler rule to facilitate getting to obscure game content, and will edit this post if and when the rule is pulled.

That being said, this game was crowdfunded by webcomic fans, and thus I can't guarantee that all of the jokes will be funny or even non-cringe-inducing. Criticism and mockery is encouraged. Given that this is babby's first LP I'm more than open to suggestions on how to improve the presentation as well.

Music

quote:

This is what we're looking at for most of the game. Button labels are self-explanatory; rewind and fast-forward are particularly useful for backtracking and re-running sequences. Tapping the screen makes more blocks of text appear, advancing the narrative.

quote:

Like so. When transcribing these text blocks I'm merging most of them, and giving my best guess about when to start new lines or paragraphs. A lot of blocks of texts are chunks of long sentences broken up with ellipsis; I usually cut out the ellipsis or replace them with commas.

quote:

To Be or Not To Be is both the earliest recorded example of the "books as game" genre as well as the first instance ever in the then-newish English language that was kicking around of an adventure being chosen by YOU, the reader.

We've gone ahead and added illustrations, plus we've taken the liberty of marking with tiny Yorick skulls the choices Shakespeare himself made when he plagiarized this book back in olden times.

The little right-pointed fleur-de-lis symbol at the bottom indicates that another tap will advance the page, wiping all the text blocks and starting anew.

However, that is not the only way to read this book! Feel free to explore your other options, as each time you read this book you can go on a different adventure, assuming you don't read the book 3,001,181,439,094,525 times at which point the adventure will start to repeat and they'll probably seem pretty familiar long before then anyway.

Now, take yourself back to History, when ghosts walked the Earth and nobody knew velociraptors were ever even a thing. Steel yourself to experience the magic of Shakespeare as it was meant to be experienced: In a non-deterministic narrative structure where you end up thinking maybe you made a wrong decision, so you mark the pages you were just on so you can always go back and make a different choice if you die for some dumb reason.

To be, or not to be: that is the adventure.

Both the other two are gimmick answers and will be looked into as intermission segments. We can see the first occurrence of one of the aforementioned Yorick skulls here, and we're going to go with that.

quote:

Now SURPRISE, babies are boring, so we're going to jump ahead in time to a point where you're an adult and you've already lived a bunch of your life, but I promise most of what we're skipping over was really dull.

You ate a lot and slept a lot and made some friends, tears were shed, makeouts were totally had, etc. It was a bunch of high school stuff: the awesome stuff starts now! So! Let's begin, my friend!

Um... remind me again who you are? Are you...

Put your votes in bold. Hamlet's age as described here is accurate to the play, interestingly enough.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Overnight the voting has turned almost unanimously in the favor of Hamlet Dad so we're going to go with that. Let's go and see where choosing his story starts us.

quote:

At present, you are in Norway, where just this afternoon you led Denmark's forces to an astounding victory during which you PERSONALLY killed the Norwegian king.

Stabbed him right through the head, you did. His eye popped out and rolled on the ground and then you stepped on it. Whoah! Your rear end is bad! You are a badass!!

You decide after a day of being good at fighting, you should have a nap. You've earned it! You settle down in an orchard for some nappy times.

As soon as that first text block appears the background goes green for the remainder of this segment. It's a nice little touch.

Except that we're already dead. Big illustrations like this appear at various points, usually when you die and/or the game ends somehow. The unlock screen also appears, complete with falling confetti, whether or not you've already seen that artwork. This is the last time I'll show it. Newly-viewed artwork is added to the game's gallery, with an infocard about the artist; I'm setting each image to have a hyperlink to the respective infocard.

We also get our first achievement, reminding us that choosing to play as Hamlet's dad got us killed immediately.

However...

quote:

It takes more than death to knock Hamlet Dad out of the story. Put your votes in bold. No Yorick skull this time to guide us.

Turns out some of the audio in this game is harder to find than expected, even if it's all pretty dull.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Also, this is like .94 cents on Steam right now.

Not seeing it at that price. You have a link?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Small Frozen Thing posted:

This looks pretty neat, but your OP looks like a savage bout of tryhard-coolguy gripped you in the process of writing it.

You're right; it needs a rewrite. Will get it softened up this evening when I'm not at work. My expectations for this game are fairly low but I was leaning way too hard on the "THIS GAME AND EVERYBODY ASSOCIATED WITH IT IS ABSOLUTE poo poo" angle.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Cleaned up the OP a bit. Voting closes at 10 PM CST.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Looks like we're in need of a tiebreaker vote. Next vote decides our path.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

No ghost.

I figure this is good for a second game-over already.

You figure correctly!

quote:

Something about that style of art, construction of panels, and voluminousness of text seems very familiar. :ughh:

And yes, this really is a game over this time, so we get taken right to the HAML-O-METER to see how we did.

quote:

It's got spotlights knocking around the scene and lights that flick up and down the meter for a bit before settling at the very bottom. It's hard to catch the meter lights in a screenshot, since they blink constantly, but we got the worst rank. To elaborate on that:

quote:

We literally died in one decision and ceased to exist forever in the next decision.

quote:

We have checkpoints at the character select and at Dead Hamlet Dad's first decision. This gives us three options to choose from for our next playthrough.

Votes go in bold.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Vote's as unanimous as it gets. Let's see how Hamlet Dad can do as a spooky afterlife ghost.

Music

quote:

You get to spend all your time slamming doors, rattling chains, and telling on the person who killed you!

But here’s the thing: I, the author, told you, the reader, that your brother poured poison in your ear while you napped. But you, as Hamlet Sr., have no idea how you died! You slept through the whole thing.

So you need to figure out who killed you if you’re going to revenge yourself on your murderer, assuming you even WERE murdered. Because remember that for all you know, you could’ve died of a heart attack!

This is an example of dramatic irony, only since we’re in the second person, it’s an amazing example of an entirely new species of dramatic irony: something I’m going to call Second Person Pronoun-Paradoxical Auto-Dramatic Irony.

You are now aware of information that you’re not aware of. This should be fun!

Ghostly Hamlet Dad is off to a rough start, and Yorick's still nowhere to be seen.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Qylvaran posted:

Does the iOS app include the 'prequel', Alas, Poor Yorick?

Doesn't appear to, but Ryan North did release Poor Yorick in ebook form as a free download from one of his websites so I've gone ahead and grabbed it. It's pretty short at 35 pages in PDF form and has some illustrations by Tyson Hesse, and the mobile book form has tappable links for making decisions without flipping between pages.

From here on out, each time we hit an ending I'll give everybody the option to vote to divert to Poor Yorick, playing until we hit an ending there. I'll go into more detail about what Poor Yorick is when the time to vote comes. Voting on our current decision closes at 10 CST.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 25, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Right, so having looked through Poor Yorick I have the following observations.

It's extremely short, with the total number of scenes numbering in the dozens, and the longest story path is fewer than 10 choices long. There are, however, a lot of different endings, enough that I'd be comfortable using Yorick's misadventures to fill in the gaps between each of our runs of To Be or Not To Be. My inclination is thus to alternate between the two, running To Be or Not To Be to an ending and then running Yorick around until he meets his demise. Once we hit the end of our current run, we'll switch over to Yorick and get him killed, which seriously happens really loving fast no matter what we do, and then we'll go back to To Be or Not To Be.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Another very close vote, as we begin our investigation into our own demise.

quote:

You only speak Danish, so understanding Norwegian is a little difficult. It all sounds like Swedish to you! Which actually makes a lot of sense, since Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are all related North Germanic languages descended from early linguistic differentiation between regular Germanic speakers and North Germanic speakers around 200 AD.

You nod your head, agreeing that all of this is both accurate and extremely interesting.

While these three languages are GENERALLY supposed to be mutually intelligible, you find you can understand Norwegian speakers only if you're concentrating -- which you are -- and only if they're speaking slowly and clearly -- which they're not, as everyone is running around upset about war and all these kings getting killed.

Ironically, Norwegian speakers can understand Danish easier than Danish speakers understand Norwegian, but that doesn't help you much! That would only be useful if you were playing as the Norwegian king whose ghost has stowed away on YOUR army's boat headed back to Denmark, but I haven't given you that option even though it would be extremely awesome. If you're wondering what happens to this Vengeful Ghost King, I can tell you only this: THE ANSWER EXISTS IN YOUR IMAGINATION??

But here's the good news, it turns out WRITTEN Danish and WRITTEN Norwegian are actually pretty similar! So you spend the next several nights haunting people, quietly reading their diaries while they sleep peacefully in their beds. And you don't know this, but ghosts do this all the time. Ghosts just love sneaking a peek at the secrets of the living!

It takes a while, but you finally find the diary of someone who wrote on the day you died that she was wandering by a garden, minding her own business when she saw some Danish guy pour something in some other Danish guy's ear!

Hey! That sounds like what could've happened to you (but remember you don't know that's exactly what happened to you because of that new irony we invented)!

Let none ever say that the Ghost King wasn't a resourceful old bastard.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The votes are in, and it turns out that despite being a ghost and not a poltergeist, we can still both flip through diaries and handle writing utensils. Never underestimate the Ghost King of Denmark.

quote:

You gently shake the woman awake while holding the piece of paper up in front of her. She's freaked out initially (she was just woken up by a g-g-g-g-ghostly apparition from beyond the grave) but once she reads your note, she looks at you and suspiciously and says, "For real?"

You flip over the paper and write, "YEAH I'M THE GUY THAT GOT KILLED MAYBE, AND I GUESS I WANT TO REVENGE MY DEATH OR WHATEVER? BUT PLEASE SPEAK SLOWLY AS NORWEGIAN IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE; I'M FROM DENMARK."

"Oh," the woman says in Danish, "I speak Danish too."

"Kick rear end," you reply.

She tells you what she saw and gives you a physical description of the guy. Unfortunately, the man answering to her description could only be one person: your brother, Claudius!!

You're feeling pretty chuffed about this whole situation!

Okay! Let's revenge your death! Your murderer is getting away with it in Denmark.

That came through pretty well! But is the Ghost King as good at swimming as he is at investigation and diplomacy? Or should he just take a safer and perhaps slower route back to his homeland?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
For all we know, the sailing ships might be as fast as swimming in this day and age. Let's give it a shot!

quote:

APPARENTLY NOT??

So you start to swim back to Denmark, but it's a lot of work to keep your body corporeal so that you can swim, so eventually you get tired and stop. For a while you float above the water, but that gets boring, so for most of the journey you float down to the ocean floor and travel along with it.

Hey, there's a sunken pirate ship here.

Hey, there might be treasure in it!

It appears we have a very arbitrary selection of ghostly superpowers. Are we going to use them to get back home or to get back home with maybe a massive quantity of pirate gold? Voting closes tomorrow at 4 PM CST.

Decoy Badger posted:

This writing instantly reminded me of why I stopped reading Dinosaur Comics.

Swim, I guess.

Pretty much the only bit of writing by Ryan North that I ever sort of liked was his Dig Dug run; that was the one thing that nudged me into trying out this game. Dinosaur Comics to me was always at best forgettable and at worst annoying.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Per the votes, let's spend some time searching for pirate treasure.

quote:

I mean, it's kinda hard to see things without a light source, but your ghostly body glows a little when you want it to, so it's not bad.

The pirate ship itself seems recently sunk. There are bodies trapped below-decks, and yeah, that's unpleasant. The ocean bacteria haven't really started decomposing them yet. Bodies, man. Being corporeal, man. I dunno.

You find the treasure room, and it's empty. It seems like this ship was attacked, raided, and then sunk. Somewhere up above your head, sailing on the surface of the great Ocean Atlantic, is a really tough pirate ship that's just looking for treasure AND/OR trouble. Too bad you're already dead, huh?

But even if you were alive what does a ghost need with money anyway, so I guess this has kinda been a pointless but still awesome endeavour. You explored the ocean bottom and found a sunken ship! Don't let anyone tell you that's not awesome!

Okay! After several more days of very slow travel that we just skipped over because it got boring, you're back on Denmark's shores!

Well, other than the achievement that was perfectly fruitless. Do we want to do it some more and enjoy some more Hilarious Undersea Jokes by Ryan North, or run along to Denmark and enjoy some more Hilarious Hamlet Jokes instead? Voting ends tomorrow at 9 PM CST.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
A close vote, but it looks like we're going back to the ocean to search for more pirate treasure. What will we find down there?

quote:

And while your dead ghost eyes won't actually change that fact, there's still lots of cool stuff to explore. You eventually travel all the way to the Mariana Trench, the very deepest part of the ocean, over 547 fathoms below sea level!

Here the water above presses down at over a thousand times standard atmospheric pressure, and the temperature is just above freezing. There are xenophyophores here, which are honest-to-God single-celled organisms so big you can see them with your bare eyes. Why, here's one that's over 10 centimetres long!

This is nuts. This whole place is nuts, and you're learning so much! You give up on your revenge plan and instead devote your (after)life to being a marine biologist and oceanic cartographer. And it turns out Ghost Marine Biology is pretty advanced compared to Alive Human Marine Biology...

Looks like King Hamlet's story has come to an end once more. Time for the Haml-O-Meter!

quote:

(some pointless poo poo went here)

Poor Yorick will begin in my next post.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Poor Yorick originated as the $90,000 stretch goal for the kickstarter that spawned To Be or Not To Be. It was intended as a short choose-your-own-adventure based on the life of Yorick, the jester whose skull is unearthed and held up by Hamlet in one of the most famous scenes from the play that this work is derived from.

The Kickstarter page promised that if $90,000 was pledged then every backer at any tier would get an ebook edition of Poor Yorick, which Ryan North was to write. At the $95,000 and $125,000 stretch goals, increasing quantities of illustrations were added to the book, and at the $150,000 stretch goal it was published as a kickstarter-exclusive physical volume, sent to everybody who had backed To Be or Not To Be at the $25 tier or higher. The Kickstarter met all of these stretch goals and more, even hitting the $500,000 stretch goal listed as "I will literally explode (literally)" which was fulfilled using a dry ice bomb placed inside a 3D-printed plastic model of Ryan North's head.

Later on, the ebook version of Poor Yorick was put up for free download on one of the websites that Ryan North writes for. It includes a PDF version and a very functional mobile form, with tappable hyperlinks for jumping between decisions.

I've run through every ending of Poor Yorick; while it's very short it has enough different endings to inspire the idea of using the book as an intermission for To Be or Not To Be. It has also managed to be somewhat more amusing to me than To Be or Not To Be, which I'm trying to figure out how to deal with. For now, though, let's see if Yorick can lift the mood in here.

Page 1 posted:

It’s a brand new day! You roll over in bed, open your eyes and, as you do every day, remind yourself of who and where you are, as well as what your deal is.

“I live in Denmark,” you whisper to the ceiling. “And my name is Yorick. I’m a man of infinite jest and most excellent fancy.”

“That means I’m good at jokes and have a cool imagination,” you remind yourself. “But that don’t pay the bills. I’m broke, there’s nothing for breakfast, and if I don’t find a job today so I can pay for some food I WILL LITERALLY DIE.”

Oh! Before we get started here, Yorick, I should probably mention that your life has the potential to have an improbably large effect on the future. The good news is that you’re a temporal hinge upon which all our tomorrows rest! The bad news is that the only way for you to put this legacy into motion is by dying. But the good news part two is that it’s really really really really insanely likely that you’re gonna die today!

Okay!

Have fun!!

>>Get out of bed and go for a walk<<
>>Stay in bed<<
>>Die instantly, I want my legacy to begin NOW<<

Oh, Yorick, you little scamp, trying to identify with webcomic artists and other self-proclaimed internet funnymen. Voting will stay open for a few days, since I'll be traveling.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 17, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

If you don't want to lp the game, nobody's forcing you.

The core concept of the book does genuinely interest me. The idea has amazing potential, and sometimes it shines through in Ryan North's writing. He keeps dropping the ball, though, often enough that I question whether he can tell when he's telling an engaging and/or funny story and when he's just pissing off his audience.

This particular story path wound up being one of the instances where Ryan North hosed up, and it's not the only time in this book where he's going to do so. I want this gamebook to be good, it's not, and that makes it difficult to LP. Cutting my losses and pronouncing this to be a failed LP on account of a lot of the gamebook being often unfun and unreadable would be a justifiable response, but not necessarily a constructive one.

The problem that I see with webcomic creators, and internet artists in general, is that the internet makes it extremely easy to fall victim to confirmation bias. No matter what you post on the internet, somebody is going to tell you that it's amazing and somebody else is going to tell you that it's a piece of poo poo. Countless artists stray into the trap of blocking out everything but their unconditional fans, allowing the ever-reliable supply of positive feedback to convince them that whatever they create is golden. By the time they start to go bad either because their creativity dried up or they fell behind on the times, they've forgotten how to police their own work and listen to constructive criticism, and thus wind up huddled in an unnoticed corner of the internet, subsisting on whatever revenue they can extract from their remaining diehards. Even Tim Buckley has enough sycophants surrounding him to block out the chorus of voices telling him that his work is objectively garbage.

The result is that only two types of constructive feedback make it through to these artists. One is the kind that comes from close, honest friends and loved ones, people that the artist can always count on to be fair and objective with his or her work. These are the people whom a good artist shows their work to before releasing it into the wild, people with high standards and good taste whom the artist counts on to tell them if a particular creation is bad. The other type of feedback that can penetrate the echo chambers that internet artists build around themselves is in-depth criticism that takes apart an artist's work and discusses where it was good, where it hosed up, and most importantly, how it hosed up and how it could be better.

I definitely think this gamebook's author could have done better, given the inherent potential in the book's concept and the author's experience and talent. The book could have been entertaining, and the reasons why it isn't are, to me, clear and identifiable. Pronouncing the gamebook a lost cause and aborting the LP wouldn't be respecting the gamebook's potential, and it wouldn't send any message to the author other than that that one comedy forum thought the book was so lovely that they cut off their let's play after seeing only two endings.

Let's Plays of mediocre and even outright bad games are possible, though they often come in a different format than let's plays that can count on high-quality source material for support, with the LPer's efforts focused towards editing and presentation. What I'm considering doing is shifting the format towards that of a critical LP, the type that focuses on what was done right in a game, what was done wrong, and what should have been done instead. If that falls flat, though, I have no problem with putting up the shutters.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Right, this is getting weird. Travelling is done with for now, so let's get back to business and see how Yorick is handling himself now that he's decided to get out of the house.

quote:

>>Restart<<
You roll out of bed, put on your walkin’ shoes (if we’re being honest they’re the only pair you own, so they’re also your runnin’ shoes and holes-in-’em shoes but that’s neither here nor there) and walk out into the crisp morning air. As you stroll around your small village you notice a sign nailed to a tree! You think “look sign” to yourself, and this is what you see:

“Wow!” you say out loud. “All my problems of not having cash would be solved if I got paid cash money!!” Then you tear the ad down so you can take it with you (also this prevents other people from applying for the job; Yorick, you are a young man whose fancy sometimes lightly turns to lawless self-interest.)

You decide to make your way down to the royal court to totally get this job. When you get there at 1:50 pm, you see several other potential jesters have arrived at well!

>>Sabotage the other jesters<<
>>Await your turn<<
>>Push your way to the front of the line<<

Yorick's initiative and willingness to go outside have quickly landed him a job interview with the government of Denmark. But how much initiative is enough?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 17, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Spring break is over, and it's time to see how Yorick's been busying himself while in line for his job interview. Why, he's been trying to screw over his competitors, of course!

quote:

>>Go back<<
You decide that the best way to get this job is not to earn it by being the best candidate, but rather get it by ensuring nobody else is a viable candidate. In a single word of French origin: sabotage! You ponder for a bit on the subject of moral universalism (if an act is just, then it’s just for everyone to perform the act) and you imagine a universe in which everyone sabotages everyone else to get ahead. It seems terrible! So you conclude the only way to get ahead in such a universe is to sabotage everybody else first, and in doing so transform the Golden Rule (“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”) into the Iron Rule (“Do unto others before they can do unto you first”). “The Iron Rule” sounds more badass so you’re big into it!

Your first sabotage attempt is to pull down the pants of one of the other jesters, but he notices when you do that and stabs you right through the brains.

Your body finds its way into a shallow grave, and 25 years later it’s dug up by Hamlet! He picks up your skull and says “Whoah, check it out! The knife this guy got stabbed with is still here, and you can see how it went right through his eyes and then popped out on the back of his skull! BAD. rear end.”

Hamlet adds the knife to his inventory and returns your skull to its grave. “I can use this knife in the future to open many things, such as for example a sealed letter or perhaps a jammed window,” he says.

Remember when I said you’d have an effect on the future? Well, that was it. You eventually help a thirty-year-old graverobber open a jammed window, by being the skull he stole an old knife from.

BEHOLD YOUR LEGACY, YORICK.

THE END

Whoops! It looks like Yorick isn't actually any good at sabotaging people. Bye, Yorick! We'll be seeing you after our next run of To Be or Not To Be.

We have a few choices as to how to proceed with our next run:

• Option 1: The Ghost King doesn't become a marine biology ghostnerd and proceeds to Denmark to avenge himself.
  • Option 2: The Ghost King ignores the empty pirate ship entirely and continues on to Denmark.
  • Option 3: The Ghost King tries haunting a ship instead of crossing the ocean all on his lonesome.
  • Option 4: The Ghost King tries bothering the sleeping witness without writing anything down for her to read first.
  • Option 5: The Ghost King just accepts that he died of a heart attack instead of trying to investigate his death.
  • Option 6: We ignore the Ghost King entirely and check what Hamlet's been up to. That's what Yorick's been suggesting, after all.
  • Option 7: Screw the guys; let's play being Ophelia.

Voting ends on Tuesday at 10 PM CST. As a note, the illustrator of Poor Yorick is Tyson Hesse, and we'll be seeing more of his illustrations every time Yorick gets his poo poo kicked in.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 17, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Ghost King Hamlet is going to pick up right before the point when he suddenly decided to study marine organisms for the rest of eternity. Instead, he's going to scurry along to Denmark and get on with the avenging thing he's supposed to do.

quote:

TURNS OUT that's really easy because he's in the first place you check: the royal court! He's there with your widow, Gertrude!

Weird, they're acting all close and stuff. Oh well. He's probably just trying to comfort her after your untimely death, hah hah; brothers are really great.

Though... maybe not?

In the play proper, the ghost of King Hamlet tells how he spends each night wandering as a ghost and each day suffering the horrific agonies of Christian Purgatory. In To Be Or Not To Be the Ghost King is having an easier time, so much so that he remains innocent as to the true nature of Claudius and Gertrude's relationship. Should we let him stay blissfully ignorant?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Hamlet Dad's just too suspicious about all of chatter between his brother and his widow. Let's see if he takes it well.

quote:

Whoah! That certainly was, in terms of exposition, a very efficient sentence!

You decide instantly that your initial revenge plan (haunt a mirror so instead of Claudius's reflection he sees you, and then you mirror his movements so he's not really sure what's going on, tee hee!) is needlessly complex and stupid.

Dude killed you AND married your widow! Since you are from olden times, you have an extremely old-fashioned sense of ownership over female sexuality, so this really gets stuck in your craw. Instead of spooking Claudius, you decide to...

Nope, he didn't take it well at all. Rather than playing pranks on his brother for killing him, Hamlet Dad is going to seek out a way to murder his brother for both killing him and marrying his widow. But how's he going to go about it? Is he going to attempt the deed all on his ghostly self, or is he going to enlist his precious son as an accomplice?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

dreezy posted:

Kill Claudius and I swear to god if this just leads directly to a stupid dead end then I am done with Ryan North and his bullshit.

Hey, about that.

quote:

You wait until Claudius is sleeping (NEXT TO YOUR WIDOW) then wake him up by tapping him on the forehead a bit.

"Hey, it's me!" you whisper. "Your brother! The one you murdered!!"

"Aw crap," Claudius whispers back. "Ghosts are real?"

"Real pissed at you, anyway," you reply. "Listen, I'll cut to the chase: we are from a time where 'an eye for an eye' is considered a good thing to build a justice system around, so I am here to kill you."

"How?" Claudius asks, his eyes wide, terrified.

"Aw geez, so many ways," you say, counting them off on your fingers. "I could startle you and make you have a heart attack, but that takes time. I could throw a pot at your head until you die, but that lacks grace. Instead, check this out."

You move your ghost body so it's floating right above Claudius. He stares at you, his eyes wide. "I'm sorry," he whispers.

"Way too late for THAT," you reply. You lower yourself to him, face to face, and keep going. His face dominates your field of vision and then you're inside his skull, inside the pink of his brain, his blood darkly obscuring your sight. You sink slowly deeper and deeper into him, lining up your ghost body with his regular body, until you are just about occupying exactly the same space.

Then you make yourself corporeal.

What happens next happens so quickly and with such force that it's hard to describe, but "Claudius explodes everywhere" captures most of it. I mean, you're fine, but man this is disgusting. Literally disgusting. Gertrude wakes up, dripping in gore, screaming.

You, my friend, have achieved revenge.

You roll over to your back and apologize to Gertrude. You explain over her screams what happened, and you tell her that you still love her even though she married your brother mere weeks after you died.

But you can't be with her any more, you say. You tell her you need to go find your own path. "Sorry about the bed," you say, floating up through the roof.

You spend the rest of the afterlife acting as an immortal judge beyond the grave, exploding those who have committed the most egregious crimes, merely blowing the hands off those who have been awful people but still, you feel, deserve a second chance.

People whisper your name in fear (criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot, after all) and it works out pretty good for you. You do a lot of good for a lot of people. And yep, it turns out that blowing up bad guys never does get old!!

THE END

If the number of choices made as listed on the game over screen looks a bit off, it's because the game doesn't appear to properly track number of choices made when it's loaded from a checkpoint. I didn't post the Haml-O-Meter this time, but we got the lowest rating (again) anyway.

Interestingly, the doodle on top of the game over screen appears to be randomized, drawn from a pool somewhere. Even if you hit the same ending multiple times, there's a good chance you'll get a different Game Over doodle after the ending illustration. This sort of randomness crops up in a few other places in the app, too.

Whatever the case, though, it looks like King Claudius has once again reached a happy ending of sorts, and that means we'll be spending some time with Poor Yorick again! Welcome back, Yorick!

Last time we went through Poor Yorick, we died after two decisions due to a rather inexpert attempt to sabotage our fellow job candidates. Let's try not to do that again!

• Option 1: Wait patiently in line instead of trying to sabotage the other aspiring court jesters
  • Option 2: Push our way to the front of the line instead of trying to sabotage the other aspiring court jesters
  • Option 3: Restart the book and just stay in bed instead of going outside
  • Option 4: Restart the book and die instantly instead of going outside

Good luck, Yorick!

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Kangra posted:

Option 3: I shoulda stood in bed.

I have to admit I'm rather enjoying some of the art, like the first Yorick ending.

There's a good deal that I like about the art direction in both these gamebooks. It looks to me like all the webcomic artists who drew illustrations of Ghost King Hamlet were held to the same reference sheet, so he almost always has the same distinguishing characteristics regardless of who drew him or in what style. We're starting to see the same with Hamlet Junior, too, and that's going to continue.

Maybe we'll even see another game over illustration right at the end of this update, depending on how Yorick's decision to wait at the very back of a line of perfectly qualified jester interviewees pans out!

quote:

>>Go back<<
You patiently await your turn.

While you wait, you start to chat with the jester next to you. He’s wearing a red leotard printed with white diamonds, and has face paint on that exaggerates his features. He explains to you that jesters have a long and proud tradition. They fall into two camps: the “natural fool”, or someone who really is a big dummy, and the “licensed fool”, who is given permission to just act like a big dummy. Licensed fools tend to last longer, because natural fools don’t know when to keep their mouths shut. “The jester is a special job,” he says, “We’re entertainers, sure, but we’re also able to directly address the regent in a way few others can. That is the special magic of the jest.”

“To be a jester,” he intones with great gravity, “is both an honour and a privilege.”

“What’s your act?” you ask.

“I put a squirrel in my pants and then act real upset that there is a squirrel in my pants,” he says.

King Carl Hamlet sticks his head into the room and looks around. He points to you and says “You’re up, chuckles!”

>>Enter the Royal Court<<
>>Push your new friend forward instead<<
>>Attack the king<<

Maybe these other jesters aren't so qualified after all. King Hamlet hasn't made his decision and sent everybody else home yet; Yorick might just have a chance!

However, first impressions are very important. How should Yorick present himself to his would-be boss?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 17, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Keeping in mind his new friend's wise words about different types of jesters, Yorick elects not to style himself as a natural fool. Perhaps he'll be able to do such things without consequence if he successfully passes as a licensed fool.

quote:

>>Go back<<
You shyly step into the Royal Court. It’s a beautiful room, clearly capable of entertaining the entire monarchy of this here country (Denmark, in case you forgot). But right now it’s mostly empty. The only people here are your king (Carl Hamlet, who’s walking ahead of you, intent on settling into his throne), your queen (Gertrude Hamlet, smiling politely), and their son, Hamlet Jr. He looks to be about five years old.

“Pleased to meet you, your majesties,” you say. “I am Yorick.”

“This is our son, Kid Hamlet,” says the king. “He’s getting to be a bit of a handful as he grows up, and we want to keep him entertained. Since nobody has yet invented an automatic entertainment system—perhaps where automatons and mechanical men perform plays at our merest whim and we can pause them should we desire to get up to for a drink, or ‘rewind’ them should we miss something and wish to revisit it—as I say, since this [sic] as not yet been invented, we have to rely on actual alive people to entertain us.”

“...Okay,” you say. “Um, I’m an alive person. I can do that.”

“Wonderful!” says the king. “Please, proceed.”

>>Recount a charming jape<<
>>Make a fart noise by blowing between your hands, and then look around accusingly and say “Whoah, that wasn’t me”<<
>>Make a pass at the queen<<

Yorick has made it to the most critical moment of his life. Either he impresses the Royal Family of Denmark enough to become accepted as their personal entertainer, or he leaves the palace in shame. How will he win his lieges over?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 17, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Yorick is just going to stroll right into the royal court, introduce himself to the King and Queen, and make a bunch of fart sounds at them.

quote:

>>Go back<<
You do that thing. The king and queen look unimpressed, but Kid Hamlet loves it. He cheers and claps and launches into a long soliloquy on how great it was. When he’s done, the king says “Well, I didn’t think that was super rad, but my kid loved it and your job is to entertain him, so good job! You’re hired...um, what did you say your name was again?”

“Yorick, sir” you say. “It’s either a corruption of the Scandinavian ‘Erick’ or ‘Jorg’, but it might also be an anagram of the Greek ‘kurios’, which—”

King Hamlet cuts you off. “Okay, cool, I’m not super into hearing more. I’m going to leave you alone with Kid Hamlet: if you can survive the day, I’ll pay you a bunch of gold and let you live in the castle. Deal?”

“Deal,” you say, stepping forward and to shake his outstretched hand. While you’re doing that you say, “Oh hey, can I have some food? I’m literally starving.”

“Sure!” says the king, and pulls an apple out from inside his robes, tossing it to you. “Kick rear end,” you say, swallowing the apple whole. Hey! How’d you do that? That was awesome! I want to be able to do that too.

In any case, you are no longer in immediate danger of dying! From starvation, I mean!

>>Talk to Kid Hamlet<<
>>Make more fart noises<<
>>Beg the king not to leave you alone with Kid Hamlet<<

Against all odds, Yorick has cleared the initial screening and been accepted as court jester! The future is looking bright! But can Yorick keep up the good work? Should he start adding some variety to his act? Or should he keep the momentum going on his current routine?

Wait, what did King Hamlet mean when he said Yorick had to survive the day?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 17, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Having little to no knowledge as to how to actually put together a comedy routine to keep the attention of capricious nobles and their children, Yorick just sticks to what he knows to have worked so far. But is Kid Hamlet going to get bored of it too quickly?

quote:

>>Go back<<
Alone with Kid Hamlet, you make some more fart noises, and he continues to cheer. After about half an hour of this your lips are going a little numb, so you say “Listen, kid, what if I took a break for a whi—”

Kid Hamlet interrupts you and explains that your relationship is based on toot noises, NOT on human conversation. He does not want to hear another morpheme from you for the rest of your days, and the only phoneme he wants to hear is “thppppth”. Kids say the craziest things, huh? And kid princes say the craziest things that instantly become law that is punishable by death!

So, you never say another word to Hamlet, but spend the rest of your life making toots both artificial and genuine, and making quite a comfortable living by doing so. Nicely done! In a time where most people have to personally kill a chicken if they want a chicken burger for lunch, you’re living pretty comfortably. You die of a heart attack five years later (effective medicine is not a thing yet, heads up) and get buried in a shallow grave. A couple of decades later, Hamlet digs up your body! He picks up your skull and finds it remarkable, and therefore remarks upon it:

“Alas, poor Yorick!” he says. “I heard him toot, Horatio; a fellow of infinite toots, of most excellent toots; he hath tooted on me a thousand times. Yet where be his toots now? His super toots? His ultra toots extreme? His flashes of gas, that were wont to clear the table of its occupants because of the stank??”

I’ll say this: of all the legacies it is possible to have, Yorick, this is certainly one of them.

THE END

Nope! Kid Hamlet never grows tired of his personal Fart Jester, who terrorizes Elsinore Castle for five years before dying of natural causes and getting buried in an unmarked grave. Congratulations, Yorick!

We've made it to a happy ending! Well, sort of. We'll have to see later if there is a way that Yorick could depart this world leaving more behind than just a lingering fart smell that's inundated everything in the castle by the time he dies.

So long, Yorick! We'll be seeing you after we spend some more time with To Be or Not To Be. Last time we played, the late King Hamlet avenged his death by exploding King Claudius's body all over the Queen's bedchamber and face, then became a gory-explosion-ghost vigilante for all eternity. But was there a better way?

• Option 1: The Ghost King enlists his living son to avenge his death, instead of sullying his hands and lovely four-poster bed with gore.
  • Option 2: The Ghost King doesn't eavesdrop on Claudius and Gertrude, missing his chance to discover that they've gotten married since his death.
  • Option 3: We start all over and play as The Fart Prince of DenmarkPrince Hamlet.
  • Option 4: We start all over and play as Ophelia.

Voting closes tomorrow at 9 PM CST.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 17, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Per the vote, we're going to rewind time to when Hamlet's dead dad was deciding whether to eavesdrop on Claudius and Gertrude's conversation.

quote:

That evening, you try to revenge yourself on Claudius by spooking him.

The problem is, he never looks in any of the mirrors you're haunting, he assumes wind is knocking over his pots, and he thinks the ghostly wailing from beyond the grave is probably just a sick dog outside who's having a pretty rough go of it lately.

This spooking him isn't going well, man. I don't know what to tell you. You'll have to get your revenge some other way! Maybe by... killing him?

Reflecting on the fact that he did kill you, you decide the only suitable revenge is to kill him as well because why not, you could totally take him, especially since you've already died once and lived to talk about it.

But who is best suited to do the killing? You could do it, but you DID have a son partly so you wouldn't have to do every single thing around here!

Unfortunately, the Ghost King of Denmark isn't nearly as good at spooking people as he is at blowing them up. Whether or not he actively snoops on Claudius and Gertrude, the Ghost King will still decide that things can only be solved with a good old-fashioned murder. On the surface, it looks like the same decision set we got when we made the decision to eavesdrop in our previous run. But if this CYOA was being done from the gamebook's printed form with reference numbers shown, at least one of the decisions here would lead to a different number than last time.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Hamlet Sr. is going to go and attend to this murder business himself, just as he did last time. Unfortunately, he's not a very creative guy and is going to murder King Claudius in exactly the same manner as before.

quote:

You wait until Claudius is sleeping (NEXT TO YOUR BELOVED GERTRUDE FOR SOME REASON, HAH HAH, THAT'S WEIRD) then wake him up by tapping him on the forehead a bit.

"Hey, it's me!" you whisper. "Your brother! The one you murdered!!"

"Aw crap," Claudius whispers back. "Ghosts are real?"

"Real pissed at you, anyway," you reply. "Listen, I'll cut to the chase: we are from a time where 'an eye for an eye' is considered a good thing to build a justice system around, so I am here to kill you."

"How?" Claudius asks, his eyes wide, terrified.

"Aw geez, so many ways," you say, counting them off on your fingers. "I could startle you and make you have a heart attack, but that takes time. I could throw a pot at your head until you die, but that lacks grace. Instead, check this out."

You move your ghost body so it's floating right above Claudius. He stares at you, his eyes wide. "I'm sorry," he whispers.

"Way too late for THAT," you reply. You lower yourself to him, face to face, and keep going. His face dominates your field of vision and then you're inside his skull, inside the pink of his brain, his blood darkly obscuring your sight. You sink slowly deeper and deeper into him, lining up your ghost body with his regular body, until you are just about occupying exactly the same space.

Then you make yourself corporeal.

What happens next happens so quickly and with such force that it's hard to describe, but "Claudius explodes everywhere" captures most of it. I mean, you're fine, but man this is disgusting. Literally disgusting. Gertrude wakes up, dripping in gore, screaming.

You, my friend, have achieved revenge.

Still corporeal, you roll over onto your back and apologize to Gertrude. You explain over her screams what happened, and say that you hope she'll be happy being married to a ghost.

Gertrude stops screaming. "Um, while you were gone I kinda... married Claudius," she admits. "But I never stopped loving you!"

Another exploded Claudius, another horrified Gertrude. This time, Hamlet Sr. is willing to think things through before passing judgment on his widow, though he seems to be of the notion that he's still married to her. Is he going to let this matter slide?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
It's a tough call for him to make, but the Ghost King eventually decides that just because Gertrude married his exploded brother doesn't mean he has to get overly upset. Rather than yelling at Gertrude or doing something else that he might wind up regretting for all eternity, he puts the matter to rest.

quote:

I must say, you are doing really well, King Hamlet! Not only have you revenged yourself in record time, you've also reconciled with your widow. Nicely done! You reveal yourself to the royal court the next morning, and nobody's happier to see you than your son, Hamlet Jr.

Your reappearance as a ghost does cause a minor constitutional crisis when someone points out you might not be able to reassume the throne, but a quick flip through the constitution reveals that there's nothing in the rules that say a ghost CAN'T be king! There's actually a section that explicitly says that should this happen, the ghost assuming the throne would be totally neato. I'm serious; that's what it says: "totally neato." You've got yourself a pretty cool nation, Hamlet Sr.!

You rule with your wife by your side for a really long time, and even get help solving national problems from the ghosts of history's greatest rulers, many of whom become close personal friends.

The Ghost King's willingness to tolerate his widow's little indiscretion is repaid by his nation's willingness to tolerate having a spectral horror from beyond the grave rule them for all eternity. Congratulations!

...Yes, I double-checked. Yes, that really is the ending illustration. I looked and it repeats in another ending where it's actually applicable. It's possible that we'll run into another misplaced illustration elsewhere that belongs here, but I haven't yet found one. Turns out that this particular gamebook is loving huge to the point that I'm still picking through all of it. One website sells a very nice poster depicting all of the game's events in flowchart form and it's positively mind-boggling. I'm considering working it into the LP to show our progress toward revealing everything.

The Haml-O-Meter still lists us as "Not To Be." We still haven't gotten very deep.

Anyways, now that King Hamlet has reached a happy ending of sorts, it's time to spend some more time with Yorick! Welcome back, Yorick! Please stop farting.

Last time we did a playthrough of Poor Yorick, Yorick was hired on as the court jester and so enthralled Kid Hamlet with his fart noises that he was put to work doing nothing but making fart noises for the rest of his life. It was a comfortable way to spend his life, but let's see if Yorick can get into a more sophisticated career that isn't eventually doomed to obsolescence by whoopee cushions or Space Station 13.

• Option 1: Talk to Kid Hamlet instead of continuing to make fart noises at him
  • Option 2: Beg the king not to leave you alone with Kid Hamlet instead of continuing to make fart noises at Kid Hamlet
  • Option 3: Recount a charming jape during your job interview instead of going right to the fart jokes
  • Option 4: Make a pass at the queen during your job interview instead of going right to the fart jokes
  • Option 5: Something else?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Ol' Yorick is going to try talking to Kid Hamlet instead of breaking his mind with excessive fart noises.

quote:

>>Go back<<
“Hey kid, I’m glad you liked my toot noises,” you say when you’re left alone with him. “What else do you like?”

“PLENTLY,” says Hamlet in that squeaky voice little kids have that’s adorable for at least—a little while? “I like gibes, gambols, songs, AND flashes of merriment.”

“I can do those,” you say, making a mental note to look up what gibes and gambols are. They sound like body parts, maybe. Maybe they’re special parts on, like, the inside of a fish?

“I also like riding you like a horse and will require that you carry me on your back at least 1,000 times.”

“Um, okay,” you say, offering what you hope is a confident smile.

“Per year,” says Hamlet.

>>Say “Right.” and get down on all fours<<
>>Say “Hah! Nice try, kid. I’m not that poor!” and leave the room<<

On second thought, maybe becoming the Fart Jester of Elsinore was actually the more dignified option. Is Yorick really going to put up with this abuse?

On a side note, I've made some edits to previous updates. To Be or Not To Be has an art gallery listing all illustrations that we've seen, and for each image there's an infocard with a short blurb about that particular image's creator. All such infocards are now viewable by clicking the respective images in this thread.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 18, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Yorick is totally going to bear this kid on his back a thousand times.

quote:

>>Go back<<
Kid Hamlet jumps onto your back (ouch!) and slaps you on the back of the head. “Yip yip!” he shouts.

I guess that means go? You gallop around the room on your hands and knees, which is super painful because the floor is literally made of rock, but get a brief reprieve when you hear a cough. You turn around and see King Hamlet, leaning against a doorframe and smiling.

“Everything’s going great in here then, huh?” he says.

“Yep!” you say confidently. “This is exactly where I wanted my career to bring me!”

“Super,” says the king, and leaves. Kid Hamlet jumps down from your back and stands in front of you. He looks very serious. It’s kind of adorable.

“I want you to give me a nickname,” he says, “and if you choose a bad one, then I’m going to ask daddy to kill you, and he’ll do it because he loves me.”

You blink.

“Now!” he says.

>>Nickname him “The Hammer”<<
>>Nickname him “Li’l Hamster”<<
>>Nickname him “Porkchop Weebottoms”<<

Never accept a job as court jester for somebody who's rumored to suffer from chronic unhappiness. Yorick might very well be paying for that mistake in a moment.

Glazius posted:

How many megapoints do we even need to go up that scale? It's almost like megapoints mean nothing.

We'll get there. It does take awhile before we start finding our way up the Haml-O-Meter but it eventually happens.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 25, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Does that mean it's a cumulative thing, not a measure of how good or bad a specific ending is?

The Haml-O-Meter has a couple of non-obvious mechanics, but there's a vague, somewhat underwhelming method to its madness.

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow I do not understand nerds getting angry at comedy CYOA books. If anything the way the OP has chosen to handle game-overs is making the book boring since we're just mechanically save-scumming to explore every path that doesn't lead to a dead-end. That sort of presentation is going to lead to the LP dead end! For this thread! Of course an adventure-is-chosen-by-you book loses its charm when you just read every outcome.

I'm more or less okay with save-scumming the last decision on each page of Poor Yorick, due to certain quirks about its structure that are going to become very clear in a couple of updates. As for To Be or Not To Be, good point there as well, but without wanting to get too spoiler-y as to the reasons, I'm not 100% sure it would work to restart the gamebook every time we hit an ending. For now, I'm okay with the save-scumming inasmuch as it progresses the current story path we've on, but that story path is soon coming to an ultimate close, at which point I'll make some changes.

I'm working on some other stuff for the thread too, and will be cleaning up previous posts further in the coming days. That said, I know that this LP could be better, and I'm more than open to suggestions as to what I can do to improve it.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 18, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
When I was a kid, I used to think that pork chops and wee bottoms were the same thing. I thought they were both pork chops.

And because my jester thought it was cute, and because they were my favorite, he nicknamed me Porkchop Weebottoms. I didn't think it was a big deal.

One day, before I realized fat kids are not designed to climb trees, I fell out of a tree, and bruised the right side of my body. I didn't want to tell my personal attendants about it because I was scared I'd get in trouble for playing somewhere I shouldn't have been.

A few days later, my swimming tutor noticed the bruise and I got sent to the infirmary. From there, I was sent to another small room with black flags and a hooded man who asked me all kinds of questions about my life at the castle. I saw no reason to lie. As far as I was concerned, life was pretty good. I told him that I was sad, so they gave me a jester and he dubbed me Porkchop Weebottoms!

This led to a full-scale rebellion, and the castle was under siege for three days until my parents finally asked me why the peasants were demanding the immediate abdication of Porkchop Weebottoms. News of this silly little story quickly spread through the castle and my jester was tracked down and put to death where he stood for being so loving stupid.

To this day, I hate pork chops.

quote:

>>Go back<<
Hamlet gasps. “That’s terrible!” he says.

“I hate it!” he shouts, stomping his feet.

“I hate you!” he continues.

“Daddyyyyyyyyyyy!” he shouts, running out of the room, in tears, his hands in the air. Geez but that kid sure feels things real deeply, huh? Anyway you try to leave but guards prevent you, and then the king shows up and makes apologetic noises about what he has to do now, but you understand the importance of family don’t you Yorick, you know how children can be, hah hah hah, anyway you understand that I promised the child I’d do this for him, I just can’t say no to him when he gets into one of these moods, hah hah hah.

Your skull is dug up 25 years later by none other than Hamlet: he’s an adult now and in this timeline he works as a gravedigger! But in a profession seemingly populated entirely by wags and loveable rogues, he alone takes his job very seriously, so he disposes of your remains efficiently and without comment.

THE END

What a stunning bit of work from a newly-hired jester, buddy! Not only did you break Kid Hamlet's heart by dubbing him Porkchop Weebottoms, you traumatized him so deeply that his future has been destroyed and by the time he turns thirty he's reduced to the status of a common gravedigger! Toodles, Yorick! We'll come back to you when you're ready to not do that again.

Previously, on To Be or Not To Be: After murdering Claudius, Ghost King Hamlet discovered that his widow had married Claudius shortly after her husband's death. However, the Ghost King looked deep inside himself and found he was sort of okay with this, and retook the throne of Denmark thanks to a fictional constitutional provision. But was this really the best decision to make?

• Option 1: The Ghost King enlists his living son to avenge his death, instead of sullying his hands and lovely four-poster bed with gore.
  • Option 2: The Ghost King isn't in for this polyamory poo poo and gets upset at Gertrude for marrying his brother.
  • Option 3: We start all over and play as Porkchop Weebottoms.
  • Option 4: We start all over and play as Ophelia.

Voting ends Monday at 10 PM CST.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 19, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
It's time to finally see what the Ghost King's son can do about this situation. Let's go and coax him into murdering a family member.

quote:

We're prodded about whether we want to really do this. The second option just kicks us back to sneaking into Claudius's room and exploding him, so we're going to soldier ahead.

quote:

You decide you're going to get Hamlet to do a murder for you. Even though that's awful. That's awful, dude.

Listen, hypothetical question: let's say you do that and Hamlet is eventually successful and you are revenged. What would you do then? What would you do with your (after)life if revenge was no longer its driving force?

LIST OF HYPOTHETICAL (AFTER)LIFE CAREER CHOICES
  • Accountant
  • Actor
  • Amusement park employee
  • Animal husbandry
  • Animator
  • Architect
  • Athlete
  • Bakery owner
  • Bouncer
  • Brewmaster
  • Cake decorator
  • Chef
  • Comic book artist
  • Counsellor
  • Cowboy
  • Engineer
  • Explorer
  • Firefighter
  • Food critic
  • Game tester
  • Geologist
  • Librarian
  • Linguist
  • Long-haul trucker
  • Makeup artist
  • Marine biologist
  • Mechanic
  • Musician
  • Painter
  • Personal trainer
  • Photographer
  • Physician
  • Pilot
  • Policy analyst
  • Professional gambler
  • Professional golfer
  • Programmer
  • Researcher
  • Restaurateur
  • Roller derby player
  • Sex worker
  • Skateboarder
  • Spy
  • Tamer of ghost dinosaurs
  • Travel writer
  • Watchmaker
  • Waterslide builder
  • Waterslide tester
  • Welder
  • Window cleaner
  • Writer

That's a hell of a list. Are we sure we're going to go on and spread death and chaos in the world of the living instead?

In other news, the Steam release of To Be or Not To Be has an additional perk over the app: We can play the game with full audio narration by Matt Yantha! In actuality, it's not very functional in the game -- running audio narration causes new pages text blocks to appear automatically, and they try to match the flow of the narration but desync very badly. He's a good narrator, though, and very plain-spoken, for the most part ignoring all the allcaps and exclamation points littering Ryan North's style of writing. I'll be including the relevant audio clips in future updates, and am going to start editing past posts to have the same once I work out some issues with tindeck.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Option 1

This would be true if the CYOA was good, but it's not. I do not want to keep making the same choices over and over to get to a new one when most choices lead to game over.

On that note, kickstarter backers of this project received a special, four-pronged bookmark as one of the stretch goals:

For the express purpose of savescumming all to poo poo.

quote:

Sometimes when you read a book you want to save where you are and come back later, right? That's what a bookmark is for. But in a multiple-path book, usually you'll have your fingers in several places of the book, in case you make a mistake and need to go back. If only there was a bookmark designed specifically for books like these, and maybe it could be a Yorick skull with big ol' teeth, and maybe instead of calling it a bookmark we could get clever and call it a "Plot Device".

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 21, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
because audience participation let's plays of CYOA books are A Thing in this subforum and this one was fresh/original enough to be worth having a look, that and the artwork is pretty cool

Glazius posted:

Look, if you don't want to tame ghost dinosaurs, I don't know what that says about you, but it can't be good.

The narrative seems to agree on this, considering how upset it's starting to get at our choices. Case in point:

quote:

...in which you induce your only son to commit a murderous act of revenge on your behalf when you're already dead anyway. It's -- kinda awful?

So if you want to tell Hamlet to go kill his stepfather, you can. In fact, look, you just did.

But now you are going to have to live with the consequences, AS THE MAN WHO YOU JUST INDUCED TO MURDER.

You are now your son, Hamlet! How's that taste, bucko?! Now you have to go do a murder!

Whoever this narrative claims to be, whether Ryan North or some other entity, the tone is getting rather vindictive. Should we accept this change of events or push back?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
We're leaving the Ghost King behind! He's had his run for now, though he might just reappear later anyway.

quote:

Yea, from the table of my memory
I'll wipe away all trivial fond records,
All saws of books, all forms, all pressures past
That youth and observation copied there;
And thy commandment all alone shall live
Within the book and volume of my brain,
Unmix'd with baser matter: yes, by heaven!

Your Ghost Dad seems pretty cool with that.

You have begun quest Kill Claudius! It's worth 3500 experience points. That's a lot!!

Our old friend the Yorick skull has finally re-appeared! We hadn't seen him since the character select screen, and he's... well, actually, he thinks this option is a little bit crazy, judging by the googly eyes.

Decisions with Yorick skulls are always safe decisions, and advance the story in accordance with the original play. Non-Yorick decisions may advance the story along the same path, may lead us into unexpected and/or bizarre alternate storylines, or may lead us straight off a cliff. Are we going to do as Yorick suggests this time, or defy him and see what happens?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
A close vote, but our hero eventually yields to his baser nature.

quote:

...the woman your father adored, loved, and married, but also all women in general.

Thanks for weighing in, Ophelia! We've got only one option here, so we're going to plow right on ahead. Whenever you pick a Yorick skull option, you'll run into another one on the very next decision screen.

quote:

"Listen, Horatio, never speak of this whole 'we totally saw a ghost' thing, okay? We've got to keep it a secret."

"That's cool," says Horatio.

"No, I'm serious, man!" you say, grabbing his shoulders. "Some REALLY SERIOUS STUFF is going to go down, and I need you to keep this a secret. Swear that you'll never talk about this."

"I swear," says Horatio.

"SWEAR IT," booms your dad's voice out of nowhere.

"He already did!" you shout. Horatio looks at you, questioning. "Hamlet. Bro. What's this all about?" he says.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio--" you begin.

"--than are dreamt of in my philosophy," Horatio finishes, annoyed. "Fine. Right. Whatever."

Okay! Horatio will keep your secret, and you've got a quest from a ghost to fulfill! And at the end, he'll probably give you some cool loot for completing it! Maybe? I mean, it's possible.

Anyway, it's past midnight, and Claudius is probably falling-down drunk.

Every hero has a fatal flaw, and scholars will tell you that Hamlet's fatal flaw is inaction. But this being a CYOA, we decide how much action our protagonist takes or doesn't take at any given moment. Should we get started with the murdering, or should we follow in Hamlet Sr.'s footsteps?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Added Space posted:

Remember, kids, insulting one member of a group is the same as insulting every member of that group! :v: Clearly these folks are masters of both literary criticism and social niceties.

Since it's not clear here, Ghost Dad is accusing Gertrude of being adulterous with his brother Claudius before his death and helping plan (or at least cover up) his murder. Even so, he tells Weebottom to leave her alone and only punish Claudius. "Pernicious" would be entirely correct in context. The next line is "O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!" which is equally accurate, assuming the allegations are true. So, if you insult a woman when you believe she's committed evil acts, you're sexist against all women, according to this story.

Get our Weebottom in gear and shank the king!

Huh. I had never read that bit as the ghost accusing Gertrude of a co-conspirator. Shows what I know. Let's see what Ryan North knows about assassinating kings in their own palaces!

quote:

There's a bottle of booze in his hand! He really is a cartoon drunk! This is gonna be real easy!

You hold your hand over his mouth so he can't scream and slit his throat and he's dead within the minute.

Ta-da! You leave quietly, making sure not to be seen, and head down to the shore to wash your blood-soaked hands and your blood-soaked clothes. The ocean water cleans off the blood quickly, which is great because you heard it was hard to get out damned blood spots.

Turns out, nope, it's actually really easy! You're glad you stayed cool and rational and didn't freak out at all during this process. Good job, champ!

You walk home in your wet clothes, change into adorable pyjamas, get into bed, and fall asleep. Content in the knowledge that you were right to murder a dude and that you even had supernatural forces on your side, your dreams are generally peaceful. (There's some sex stuff in there too but whatever man, it happens. Don't even worry about it. It's honestly not a big deal.)

In the morning you act super surprised that Claudius got killed to death ("Whaaaaat?" you say, waving your hands in the air) (Come to think of it that was probably a little much but everyone bought it so PHEW) and then later you become king!

And check it: Your economic policies are both wise and fair, and your country becomes way prosperous! Due to economics not being a zero-sum game, you not only make the lives of your subjects better, but you actually improve the lives of those they trade with too.

Hamlet, you've literally [sic] make the world a better place. NICE.

And all you had to do was kill a human being!

THE END

P.S. Oh, I meant to mention it sooner, but one day you step on a butterfly that has the cascade effect of preventing not one but TWO worldwide wars from occurring, centuries down the line! So, good job all around, I'd say! Keep on killing everyone who interferes with your preferred version of history, I'd say!

Congratulations, you were really terrific at being Hamlet.

THE END

FOR REAL THIS TIME

What a nice summary of all the acts that our hero performed as the result of a single decision! Porkchop Weebottoms is now King of Denmark and everything works out wonderfully for him for the rest of his life. Congratulations! It looks like choosing to be a man of action worked out pretty well for him. Before we get back to him, we'll see how Yorick's been doing and whether it's time to maybe try giving Kid Hamlet a different nickname!

Last time on Poor Yorick, Kid Hamlet was given the name Porkchop Weebottoms, which was popular with everybody except him and resulted in Yorick's head getting lopped off. Should we try giving him a different nickname, or should we try avoiding getting into a situation where we have to choose a nickname for an emotionally unstable child-prince in the first place?

• Option 1: Nickname Kid Hamlet "The Hammer" instead of Porkchop Weebottoms
  • Option 2: Nickname Kid Hamlet "Li'l Hamster" instead of Porkchop Weebottoms
  • Option 3: Refuse to be ridden on by Kid Hamlet
  • Option 4: Beg the king not to leave you alone with Kid Hamlet instead of talking to Kid Hamlet

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Yorick thinks long and hard about what nickname to give Kid Hamlet. Kid Hamlet is a very stern little prince, barking out orders at Yorick and threatening him with death all the time. Why, there was even that one time Kid Hamlet ordered Yorick to make nothing but fart sounds for the rest of his life. It's all coming into some sort of pattern.

Yorick makes his decision.

quote:

>>Go back<<
“I love it!” he says. “Hammers are tough, like me, but also decisive, like me!”

“Phew,” you say.

“Yay! Phew!!” he repeats, running around the room. “The Hammer! The Hammer!”

He punches you in the head.

“The Hammer!!” he says.

“Ow,” you say.

Anyway, you get Hamlet to calm down: you sing and dance and tell stories and make fun of your own smile and before you know it you even start to...like your job? Yes. You like your job. You like that each morning you have the laughter of a child to look forward to as a reward for a job well done.

Also, they pay you!

A few weeks go by. You pour a flagon of Rhenish wine on a young gravedigger’s head. Hamlet loves it. Those weeks turn into months, and before you know it, years. Everything is great, and Kid Hamlet changes before your eyes into Young Adult Hamlet, and then Teen Hamlet. You scale up your stories to match. And then you die of a heart attack.

THE END

Congratulations! Yorick has been accepted as Prince Hamlet's court jester, and spends the rest of the life entertaining Prince Hamlet with things other than constant flatulence! Yorick then dies in ignominious fashion! Congratulations, Yorick! You've won!

We've completed Poor Yorick! As had been mentioned before, it's a pretty short gamebook and gets itself over with quite quickly. Now that it's done, we can get right back to To Be or Not To Be and see if we can make that story last a bit longer than Poor Yorick di--

quote:

>>Accept that this is the end<<
>>Refuse to accept that this is the end<<

Hold that thought...

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Yorick's thought long and hard about this and he's just not going to accept that this could be the end of his story. He's going to summon up every ounce of his willpower in order to keep the story going.

quote:

>>Go back<<
What? Not allowed. This IS the end, you just died of a heart att—

—wait, it says here you...got better? It says you stood up and said “My heart fixed itself guys, neat” and then...went about your business?

FOR 25 YEARS??

So now it’s 25 years in the future and you’re standing beside your friend Hamlet and your mutual friend Horatio. You’re in the middle of one of your madcap adventures you guys always get into together, which has led you to a graveyard. A gravedigger is digging into a shallow grave. Well good luck, Yorick, because I know he’s about to dig up your skull and then you’re gonna be in trouble. Here it comes! Right now!!

...The gravedigger continues digging without incident.

Hamlet seems like he’s about to say something, and gets as far as “Alas, poor...Yor— I, um. Wh—” and then there’s this terrible light bursting out of his chest, tearing him apart. What happens next happens over the course of just a few microseconds, but I’ll slow it down so you know what happens:

The light bursts out of Hamlet, blinding everyone who sees it, including you. It grows, splitting apart the very fabric of reality as it goes, tearing down through the graveyard and up into the sky. The earth itself blasts apart in two colossal fragments – and you’d think that would be the end of it, but no: your li’l tear in spacetime continues to expand, laterally now, until a few nanoseconds later it contains the entire planet. Or it would, if the planet still existed, which it doesn’t. Erased from existence, bucko. You destroyed all our tomorrows with your paradox, and 2 million years later our quadrant of the universe is avoided by every single spacefaring race because it’s RUINED.

I told you earlier the universe required you to die! You were supposed to be buried here so Hamlet would have the chance [sic] reflect upon your skull, but yeah, tearing the universe a new one so you could steal an extra few years was so totally worth it.

Jerk!!

THE END FOR REAL, THANKS FOR NOTHING

Oops. Yorick, you are such a disappointment. Away with you! Let's check back into To Be or Not To Be and hope that it still exists. Admittedly, though, I would have been interested to read about some of the adventures that Hamlet and Yorick had together.

Where we left off, Hamlet chose to be a man of action and made the decision to murder Claudius, which led to him doing 30 things in rapid succession, which Rebecca Clements politely chronicled for us in the form of a single illustration. But can the story be made to last a little bit longer and end on a less underwhelming note?

• Option 1: Hamlet follows the Yorick skull path and goes back to bed instead of immediately hunting down Claudius, murdering him, and getting away with it without any incident or player intervention.
  • Option 2: We try to continue being the Ghost King.
  • Option 3: We start at the beginning of Hamlet's story instead of right in the middle of it.
  • Option 4: We start all over and play as Ophelia instead.

Also, now that we've made it to the end state of Poor Yorick, there's less for us to do over there in future runs. Additionally, there are some concerns about To Be or Not To Be and how it's written, namely Ryan North's expectation that we'd read it with our fingers jammed up into all the pages so we can go back whenever we want to. This is likely why he inserted so many "gotcha" surprise endings. To account for this, I'm going to try something new:

Hamlet has been given two extra lives. This means that the first two times we hit an ending, we'll automatically be pulled back to the decision screen where we made the choice that led us to an ending, and immediately try a different option chosen at random. This may be adjusted later, particularly due to some of the weirder "minigame" sequences in the book, where a bad decision early on wrecks you a long ways down the line.

Also, to help with tracking our progress through To Be or Not To Be, Hamlet has been given a map! The resolution is pretty massive, so brace yourself if you bring it up to full-res.

Kickstarter backers above a certain tier got an 18x24 poster that illustrates, in flowchart form, all of the decisions in To Be or Not To Be. The app and game both include it in the image galleries, though it's just barely too low-res to be readable. I'm using a scan of the poster that I cleaned up a bit, and blanked out everything we haven't yet seen. I'll update this periodically to reveal more and more of the structure as we uncover new stuff.

The fully-revealed image has a lot of void spaces, as well as arrows running all over the place and crossing over each other, so trying to determine whether some decision leads to an ending based on the shape of the poster can be misleading. The blue bits you see crossing over one of the lines are one such example, as well as the arrow stretching all the way from the top to the start of King Hamlet's story.

Yep. We have a long way to go.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 26, 2015

• Locked thread