Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

I find at-length discussion of medieval sexual mores a great way to pick up women in bars.

The Wisdom of Goons.

Do you propose marriage to women in bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

unlimited shrimp posted:

If the meaning has completely changed and the old meaning is wholly irrelevant to modern life then why is an awareness of the history at all important? Why would it impact decision making? Nobody is perpetuating the old practice because the old practice is dead.

What makes you think it's dead? Domestic violence over double standards of male vs. female infidelity happens every day.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

It doesn't seem to be a double standard between individuals. The public may view it as a double standard and be more forgiving of men, which is repulsive; but most of the women I know would take revenge on a cheating spouse. Infidelity is not healthy for a monogamous relationship, regardless of who is doing it.

Among yuppies it's less common, but it is absolutely a double standard for many individuals. Just because yuppies have cottoned onto something doesn't mean we should stop talking about it. We should keep talking about it until the full understanding of it is universal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

unlimited shrimp posted:

I fail to see how the engagement ring ritual directly relates to domestic violence.

Keep in mind we're talking about how engagement rings used to represent something like a bride price, or reflected how women were seen as "property" in a business arrangement. I doubt very much that many people view it this way any longer, women or men. Nowadays it's simply a ritual. Maybe a wasteful, empty one, but it hardly carries the same connotations it once did.

Connotations are exactly what it carries. Like taking the name of your husband, it alludes to a time when women were viewed as property and violence was the socially and legally acceptable method of keeping your property in line. if you think that is a relic of the past, be glad you don't work in my field because the truth would depress you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Obdicut posted:

I haven't really followed the engagement ring discussion because I have SedanChair on ignore because he's crazy..

Engagement rings are fine.

Expecting the man to buy the engagement ring for the woman isn't. That's really obviously sexist.

But it's also not a big deal and it's only a pretty mild kind of sexism.

The idea has always seemed kinda silly to me because you're going to share finances after you're married anyway.

Better to be insane than crushingly tedious and willfully ignorant. Nobody said that it was a "big" deal, only that it is in fact a deal. And it's the legacy of a big deal, which is women being treated as property. We should talk about all issues, big and small, that relate to that issue.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Your English is wonderful, your ideas...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

dogcrash truther posted:

I mean really it's a bit like asserting that the reason they kept slaves in the South was because of their religious understanding of slavery and the economic effects were just a side-benefit.

Many slave owners had convinced themselves of this, or at least publicly represented it to be their position.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

For example, engaging in online sockpuppeting by appropriating the identity of marginalized group in the attempt to give more weight to lovely ideas. Like MRA types who pretend to be women in comments sections and on twitter. Or white engaged in digital blackface who play on "magic negro' style black stereotypes about the superior spiritual sensitivity or authenticity of people of color.

Haha no, those are terrible.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
People seem determined to bring this back to white people getting Chinese tattoos.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

On the whole engagement ring discussion, I don't think the practice has become totally pointless yet as some have theorized. I and most of my female friends would indeed desire an engagement ring because in our society women still have the most to lose from a relationship. Social implications like "used goods," etc aside, being in a long term relationship has economic costs for a woman. Basically, the fact that women tend to make less means it makes more sense to put all your eggs in the dude's career basket, leading to a vicious cycle where the male partner starts to make more and more than the female partner. That's the real cost to the woman if the relationship goes south. I know that I have given up some career opportunities in order to stay in the same locality so that my boyfriend can continue to advance in his own career. If he can't cough up a measly ring I can show my parents, colleagues, and friends if we get engaged, I'll feel humiliated. In other words, I'll end up giving up tens of thousands of dollars on his behalf. He should show how serious he is by tossing out a few thou to the altar of the diamond God or whatever.

I don't think most women can or will articulate it that way, but there is a sense that the dude has to provide a real and material sacrifice to show that he means business. In that regard, not too much has changed, and not much will until women earn as much as men AND men's careers are equally likely to take a back seat.

Anecdote - my sister had a POS bum of a boyfriend who would ask her to marry him every time they had a fight. They broke up after maybe 2 years of lovely dating. Maybe if he had coughed up a ring...well, he'd have to have a steady job first. Which brings me back to that ring thing.

The problem is assuming that you will make less/have subordinate career goals to begin with. There's no reason for it, and even less reason to enshrine it in a slave ritual. If you want to marry somebody who isn't a loser that makes a lot of sense, but in that case taking a look at his books makes more sense than him going into debt for a ring (that's how rings are purchased now, totally destroying the value-demonstrating aspect of the ritual).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Like in the example above, if you are wearing a war bonnet and are told to take it off because it is upsetting that is fairly simple example of being polite. What reasons do people have for continuing to wear one if they have been asked not to and they have just ignored it?

Oh lots of stated reasons,

but no real one other than racism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Yes. Thank you for putting this so succinctly.

It's succinct but it's wrong. Failing to erase the knowledge of where things come from is not segregation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I see no evidence of the disparity you are claiming in that video. The young fit guy talked a lot about American perceptions of Chinese food, but so did one of the older women. Nobody else really talked about it. But reading through some of the comments, it looks like a good number of people have decided that young American-born Chinese are too uppity and concerned with cultural appropriation. That says more about them than it does about anybody in the video.

And I think the old dude was like "sweet more free food? Yes, I like this." :3:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

effectronica, serious question
if cultures appropriate stuff from each other because individual people think [other culture]'s poo poo is neat, where is the problem

This, now, is what you've taken away from all this. This is your question. At this point it seems apparent to me that a certain type of white lived experience is literally a developmental disability. Or brain damage; it's like one of Oliver Sacks' patients who couldn't see the right side of their dinner plate. There are some things you'll never see.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

i am not technically white hth (you should know that)

merely a mixed race traitor who sees no point in making a big deal of that (:byodood: he said jehova :byodame:)

I can measure the density of the atmosphere by the predicted speed of your response, which I guessed in advance with 100% accuracy including the smilies and your spelling of the name of God.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

to reply or not to reply, that is the question

now could you please explain how whites are retarded dear mr internet not-white person so there is an actual point to mock discuss

No, I am now reconciled to the fact that I cannot explain how certain people experience whiteness in such a way that they literally cannot perceive arguments being made.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

ok thanks for admitting you are a dumb who is unable to actually make an argument (protip: it should be concise, consistent, and not complete crap)

in addition please consider whether your point is anything other than "well this is a problem if you ignore the fact that it's only a problem in cases that are already problematic because of other reasons"

No, the argument has been made any number of times, both concisely and at length. You can't see it. You are lost.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

it's more fun if you're subtle about it

It's About Fun

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

yes how dare people have fun on the something awful dot com internet comedy forum, the place where serious discussion steers our ship of state

now do you have a point to make link to (you can admit if you don't)

I've made it already, but you can't see it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
This is good, normally it would be the pointless drama I have to keep dealing with in most situations but let's get into it a little bit. What sort of things have I posted about in this forum that have lead people to conclude that I identify as a black person? Well, I've made reference to it any number of times. I am biracial; my mother is white and my father was black. I have often mentioned "passing," or being light enough that many white people assume I am white. Sometimes I have made reference to the fact that because I can pass, I hear and see many things that are only brought up in the company of other whites.

But as every racist poster rediscovers the fact that my skin is light, they treat it all at once as a revelation, and one undermining any point I may have made. Why is this? It's because they attribute mystical qualities to black men. They pictured me in their heads as the guy who played Wee Bay and felt intimidated. Likewise, they assumed that the only reason people put up with me is because I possess these mystical qualities; the qualities, in fact, that so permeate the phenomenon of cultural appropriation and lead to the transferral of creative authority from minorities to white people. Black men have natural, magical artistic and creative qualities; but under no circumstances are they to be credited for these qualities, they flow naturally from their race. When a white person masters their forms, that white person is to be congratulated as a synthesist and pioneer. They are to gain more wealth, more recognition, more of a place in the pages of history than the minorities they learned from. That's what cultural appropriation is. That's why the racism that perpetuates is unthinking. That's what has led to the amusing situation of the people who have pretended to come asking honest if naïve questions about the nature of cultural appropriation posting pictures of my skin.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

loving lol, you went "white people are retarded" so obviously i will post a picture of your flabby goony pasty hands holding a gun like a good 'merican because it is physically impossible for you to provide a better setup for a cheap shot

also i will generously assume "whites appropriated things from blacks and got more recognition from it than the blacks they got it from" is some sort of argument and i will point out that racism and discrimination are bad things on their own so again complaining about ~appropriation~ is redundant (i suppose it could be more grating to your personally for reasons so be my guest)

Now hang on, where did I say "white people are retarded"? In addition to not seeing things that are there, do you see things that are not there?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So again, where did I say that?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pavlov posted:

Hello Cultural Appropriation thread. I have a friend who is an old white dude. He hand crafts birch-bark canoes using authentic native american methods. He like, sews them together with plant fiber and mystery forest-made glue because they didn't have nails. I have ridden in them and they are p. cool. How many appropriations has he committed?

Does he turn a profit?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pavlov posted:

No. He is just a teacher who likes boats. Also trees. I think the school lets him use the wood-shop.

I don't think so then. Maybe if he named it the "Geronimo" and sold it in stores.

Miltank posted:

A worthless distinction if ever there was one.

A lot of this discussion has been about who makes money and who stays poor. But true to form, you can't see it, or at least are pretending not to see it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

For those of you playing along at home, sedanchair is a goony white guy who at some point decided that pretending to be a black guy would give his incredibly lovely D&D one-liners more credibility and authenticity. Not sure if it's technically cultural appropriation however, since I don't think shitposting is a specifically African-American cultural heritage. Still, kind of ironic given the subject of the thread.

This is the narrative I was referring to above. Racists treat black people differently, and assume that all D&D posters must as well. Therefore I have committed fraud by being light.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

Wow. That said, is it appropriation if a black man from Africa immigrates to the US and starts dressing in Hip Hop styles and speaking African American Vernacular English?

No, and to suggest this could be the case is either deliberately pretending ignorance or the developmental disability I made reference to earlier.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Lol, Indians don't need jobs handcrafting artisan canoes.

Unemployment among Native Americans is pretty high. Any particular reason you say that, arbiter of what Indians need?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

They need meaningful employment in large numbers.

So fix everything at once and ignore specific cases. What a nice way to consign yourself to placid inaction.

I mean if Native Americans had greater control over the marketing of their cultural heritage, that might actually make a dent in poverty, but it's not enough all by itself, and it's not white father handing out factory jobs, so let me twiddle my thumbs. Let me twiddle my thumbs forever.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes, one guy, one canoe. That's literally all we're talking about.

Miltank posted:

If you think that is a rebuttal then I don't know what to say.

How could we ever know what you know or do not know? The likes of you will always conceal their true thoughts, except for in "safe spaces."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Over and over and over again.

Miltank posted:

Whereas you know what they want and need.

Now who said that? We're just asking questions. I swear, defenders of privilege are better at projection then anybody else.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Did I ever say that?

He can't see you not saying it. Folks like this will always be coming from the perspective of controlling all of society and deciding for every minority. Arguments for minority self-determination simply cannot be perceived.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Miltank wearing a cowboy hat: "you can't leave, this is what you get for having such a filthy, debased condition"

Miltank with literally nothing changed except for no cowboy hat: " oh my god what a filthy and debased condition! We have to destroy and eradicate the culture of this place at once, and scatter its inhabitants to the four winds"

e:

Miltank posted:

I don't assume everyone wants to leave the rez. Nor would assume that all blacks want to leave the ghetto

Because that's where "all blacks" live.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh but Miltank, one person leaving the rez won't fix anything so why are you even talking about it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

If the ritual can have it's context changed without imposition, without harm being inflicted, then that means that that ritual bastardization is simply a normal result of how cultures interact and change over time. Or, in other words, the smaller culture can never preserve its integrity (even under the ideal conditions of 'no imposition') without great effort being expended to maintain it, constant political intervention and monitoring by people such as yourself. Why do that?

Moralism is pointless if you want to change anything. Anyone can be moralistic, it's the easiest thing to do. But if you want real world solutions, you must discard it. If moralism were correct, a theocracy would be the best kind of government. That they are trash speaks to the uselessness of moralisms with respect to politics.

Define 'constrain'.

*waves hands thoughtfully, takes money from your pockets*

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

What we have learned so far is that other cultures have value to the degree that they are exotic. This exoticness is referred to as "authenticity," where "authentic" is always used as a shorthand for "authentically exotic."

When normal white people from America, who are the least exotic of all the peoples of the world, appropriate authentic cultural images or practices, the exoticism is diluted, and the result is inauthentic.

Yes, this is the reasoning of the appropriators.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

Well, "the appropriators" are pretty much almost everyone everywhere, in all times and places.

No, all people participate in cultural exchange. Only the ignorant and racist are the appropriators.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

That's an awful thing to say about North Americans, South Americans, Chinese, Japanese, British, Russian, Roman, Greek, Indian, Korean, Thai, Pacific Islander, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German, Arab, Persian, and African people don't you think?

You are completely failing to understand, or pretending ignorance (I suspect the latter). Only the ignorant and racist people in those cultures are the appropriators.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Their is no difference.

There is no difference you are willing to admit to, at least.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm happy to take a break from pretending not to understand racism to discuss my true passion, colossal utilitarian genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes but Evangelical Christianity is not a real culture. I think you all take my meaning.

• Locked thread