Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Quick Links: SSLP Test PosterRulesLP ArchiveMaster ListTech Support Fort

:frogsiren: NEW RULE: :frogsiren:
NO LOW-EFFORT OR GARBAGE POSTS. I am usually super-lenient about this, but the last Sandcastle in particular got bogged down in stupid stuff far too often. I will probate for this sort of stuff in here.

Someone might ask "what constitutes a low-effort or garbage post?" Well, quite frankly, if you find yourself asking "is my post low-effort," chances are yes, it is. Offer something useful to the discussion or don't post at all. If you want some general chatter/discussion with nothing relating to LP or test-posts, there is already a subforum for this.

I realize that this is a message board, but if you want to engage in poo poo-slinging or useless posting, there are LOTS of other places it can take place -- it just won't be in here. This is a very simple rule. Don't over-complicate it or over-analyze it.

The next stuff is just from Baldurk's last Sandcastle thread with no other changes:

• Do post a test post if you're not 100% confident of your perfection. For screenshot LPs, do use the SSLP Test Poster.
  • Don't post an interest check. If you don't know what that is, read this whole post.
  • Do ask for help in the Tech Support Fort if you're unsure of any of the technical aspects of doing an LP.
  • Don't break any of the rules of the forum.
  • Do feel free to talk about anything LP related that doesn't fall into any other thread. Take a look around though, there are threads for recommendations and requests if that's what you're after.
  • Don't whine if someone calls you out on something that you missed because you didn't read this post properly.

Welcome the Let's Play Sandcastle! This thread is for general discussion of any topic not covered elsewhere in the forums regarding Let's Play threads. It's also the place that you can make a test post to see if there are any issues to resolve with your LP thread before posting it.

Even if you think you know this all and you've read previous versions of the thread, give this post a quick read. I promise it won't take long.

SSLP Test Poster
This handy tool is how you avoid filling up this thread with page after page of fascinating screenshots of your favourite JRPG. It supports the same bbcode as the forums, so you can paste your OP into there. It provides a handy link for you to post in here.

Rules
Everyone posting in this forum should read this thread, for obvious reasons. The rules cover everything that will get you banned or probated so make sure you have read them. If there are any questions/elaboration needed, you can contact Fedule, JordanKai, or myself for further information.

The Tech Support Fort
The Tech Support fort is the place to go if you have any technical questions about the mechanics of how to make your LP. If you want to know how to use your recording software, or what recording or editing software you should get - post in here. The sandcastle is generally only for the more subjective aspects of your LP, or for any more general and high-level questions.

LPix
An LP-specific image host, oriented to keeping separate updates and things. There is a rightload plugin available here, for which you will need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable installed. Set your username and password and (optionally) a gallery in the options. If there are any problems with it, post in this thread or contact baldurk (email).

The Let's Play Archive
The archive is a large set of LPs that have been preserved in their entirety and as close to the original format as possible, to be kept forever. You can find a much more wordy explanation here.

Archive issues - anything that is related to the archive can be posted about here in the sandcastle or here in a specific thread. If you have any questions, comments, bug reports or feature requests they can all go in there or direct to baldurk.

The Master List
The Master List contains as complete as possible a list of all Let's Plays that have been started on this forum. It was written to provide all the functionality needed for locating and updating information about Let's Play threads.

If you want to find a thread, you can browse or search - but be aware that by default, abandoned threads have been hidden. If you want to find out if a game has been done before, make sure you search for it, in case the previous thread was abandoned - and thus not on that list.

In order to update out of date information on the list, you can log in with the login: SALP / snatched. If you notice any vandalism on the list, feel free to fix it. If you don't know what it should be, or there is a significant amount of destruction, contact baldurk (email) and he can fix it.

Master list issues - anything that is related to the master list can be posted about here in the sandcastle or here in a specific thread. If you have any questions, comments, bug reports or feature requests they can all go in there or direct to baldurk.

IRC Channel
This is a well-populated IRC channel with members of this forum. If you need to ask a question or want to interact with people in real time, this is the place to go. Do note however though that it is not official, and IRC drama shouldn't be brought onto the forums.

Recommendations, Requests
If you're interested in reading rather than making LPs - these threads are for you. The first allows you to post or read recommendations for past LP threads you have read and enjoyed. Read the thread OP to make sure you know the rules for recommendations. The second allows you to request an LP that hasn't been done - make sure you check the master list to see if it has been done before.

: What is a Let's Play (LP) thread?

: It's a documented playthrough of something that, at the very minimum, resembles a game; how the author chooses to present it is incredibly varied. Some use screenshots, some use video. Some let the readers make decisions, others plow on through and use the thread for discussion. Some are serious and informative while others are parodies. For some examples, see the LP archive - details above.

: How can I ask if anyone is wanting to see me LPing this game? What is an interest check?

: There's no point in posting an interest check without something to show for it. An interest check is just asking whether people want to see an LP without actually putting forth some significant sample content (more than just an OP).

For the most part, people won't really care if you LP the game or not, and it's very difficult to judge whether an LP would be interesting or not without seeing an actual update of it. If you want to know if people are interested, make a test post - don't just post "Would anyone like to see an LP of this game?". This applies no matter how much you have to decide before starting, or if you're unsure about how to LP the game. If you're not willing to put in the effort to trying different ways to see what you and other people like then don't bother posting at all.

: I hate my voice so I'm doing this LP with subtitles! / I think screenshots are boring so I'm going to VLP this game.

: This isn't a question but it comes up often enough to be addressed, especially the first case. First off - your voice probably isn't nearly as bad as you think it is, and almost certainly isn't bad enough to be an issue. Trust me.

Secondly, when you're LPing a game you should consider what format works best for the game. Does the game not really work with group commentary? Does it need subtitles or voice? Is it more appropriate for screenshots? This is a subjective call and you can make arguments for different ways on the same game. What is a really lovely argument though is that you don't feel like or don't want to do a game one way. If you really don't want to do voice commentary, then tough luck - that means there are some games you just plain shouldn't LP. Justify your choice of format based on what makes a good LP, not what you are capable or willing to do. You wouldn't use a camcorder to record an Xbox 360 game if you couldn't afford a capture device... would you?

: Can I have my thread archived? What about this thread I really like, but I'm not the author?

: Any thread which has been completed can be archived - just email baldurk with the link to the thread, and he'll sort out the rest from there, getting any information from you if you're the author. If you have any specific requests or instructions feel free to include them in the email.

It's recommended but not required to include an archive blurb - a 160x120 image and a paragraph short enough to fit next to it without overflowing, see the top of the front page of the archive for examples.

: What is a test post? Why should I make a test post?

: Let's Play threads take a lot of work. There are a lot of unforeseen problems that can crop up with your threads so it is best to make a test post - it costs you nothing but a little time, and lets you gauge how people are going to feel about your thread. This is especially true if you have not done an LP before and have no experience of what issues may come up, but a test post is almost always useful to some extent no matter how much experience you have.

A test post can vary depending on the LP, but usually will consist of an early update. This means it isn't just your OP - since that usually doesn't tell people anything more than what the game is about. It's useful to post your OP as well to give the first update some context, but make sure you post an update.

Also consider that if your first update will not be representative of the whole game (due to excessive tutorial sections or other reasons) then pick a later update and post that. The idea is to give people an idea of what your thread will be like so they can point out potential problems.

The other benefit is that you can tell if people are going to enjoy your LP thread. Of course there's no point in doing an LP that you won't enjoy, but it's equally true that there's no point in doing an LP that everyone else will hate too. Make a test post, and see how it goes, and maybe people will suggest some improvements you didn't think of. It also gets you an idea of just how much work an LP is - and if you can really finish it.

You should use the Off-site Screenshot test poster to post your test post if it's an SSLP, so that pages of this thread don't get full of loads of images.

However, even with all the above applying, test posts are not a requirement. Just a very, Very good idea.

: Has anyone LPed game XYZ before?

: The answer to this can be found in the master list - details are above. However it is worth noting that there is no rule nor stigma towards LPing a game that has been done before. Don't rush to LP a game in case someone beats you to it - no one will care. However do consider how your LP is going to be different or similar to the previous one. If you don't have anything to offer or a different take, one more LP of mega man X isn't really going to set the world afire.

: I'm not the OP in a thread. Can I contribute my own playthrough?

: The short answer is, maybe. It is generally considered good practice to ask the OP for permission, in case he has plans that you may interfere with. Certainly you shouldn't show any content that the OP has not already covered without his permission. Most people and most thread posters will appreciate the bonus content which may show off something the OP had no plans to cover.

If the thread has been abandoned by the OP, go wild - it's no longer theirs. There have been plenty of cases of LPs being successfully recovered by another poster after the OP abandoned it.

: Is there a rule against X? Am I allowed to do Y?

: This isn't the rules thread. Ask a mod - more details are in the rules thread.

Here is a specific note about ROMs, emulation, etc. (Reprinted with permission.)

Louisgod posted:

1. Do NOT talk about how you acquired a ROM, where you got the ROM, when you got it, and so forth. Just because you're posting in Let's Play! doesn't mean you get immunity from any kind of warez discussion.

2. DO NOT EVER ADMIT TO PIRATING A GAME. Seriously, stop. There are no exceptions to this rule. From this point on if you admit to pirating a game, whether to share impressions or to say that you're buying it because you pirated it, you WILL be banned.

3. Do not post links to sites that host emulators, ROMs, or any sort of illegal file. Doesn't matter if it's a link to a site that hosts links to other sites, just don't post it. This goes for any type of file. On that note, torrents are not allowed either.

4. You can LP any game you want, just do not talk about pirating in any way, shape or form.

: What image formats should I use?

: Although this is technically the ground of The Tech Support Fort this is restated here for emphasis. Read this guide before posting images in this forum. You will learn things - learning is good.

: Waffleupload doesn't work anymore, is there an alternative?

: Waffleimages is dead, but try Rightload, it has a plugin for LPix. See above for more details on this, or the TSF for alternative image hosts.

Archiving LPs: Info from Baldurk (Oct 24, 2015)

baldurk posted:

Whew! As of now the archive queue is officially cleared out (including one request that came in while I was writing this post :). I'm really sorry it's been going on so long with a large turnaround for one reason or another. If you have something you're waiting on me for then resend it, since it must have gotten lost along the way somewhere. There are a few dozen LPs out with authors now waiting for the go-ahead, and I already saw one person who didn't get my email reply, so now is the time to poke me with anything.

I'd really like to try to keep up with the queue better in future, I don't like making people wait months. I've improved the tools I use to try and reduce some tedious manual work, but I also wanted to mention a few things people can do to make the archiving process quicker. I don't want to be anal but hopefully none of these are difficult or time-consuming for authors.

--

How to make archive requests more betterer

• Send me an email rather than PM, and put the game name in the subject. This is a minor thing but whenever I get a PM I just send myself an email about it, to keep everything organised in one place. I also get a lot of emails that are just titled 'archive request' etc, it's easier to keep track of everything if the subjects are more descriptive.

• If you have an image-based table of contents, send me the names of updates as plain text somewhere. The update pages have to have titles, so if your updates aren't named anywhere else I have to transcribe them. It doesn't have to be in your thread - you can just send me a list when you send the archive request. All I need is the update names in a list with the same number of entries as your table of contents, and I can magic up the rest quite easily. This only applies if there are actually update pages behind the links, not if it's just a set of images with youtube links.

• The archive layout limits images to 900px wide. Any larger than that and they'll need to be thumbnail-linked or resized down, so ideally bear this in mind when making your LP. If all of your screenshots are 1024px wide or something I can do a quick batch process to resize them down, but let me know in advance if you want me to do that.

• This is the big one, make sure the table of contents in your OP is clean and definitive. What I mean by definitive is that any posts not linked in the table of contents won't be included, so if you have bonus posts or two part updates that you double posted they both need to be linked and titled somehow. Also just speaking as a reader if you're regularly going over the character limit consider just splitting your posts up more - massive updates aren't great to read.

Fan art or bonus posts that are immediately after the OP are fine though, just mention that you want them included and I'll append them onto the main page.

Side note: the table of contents order will be the order of previous/next links in the updates otherwise things get really confusing. I've had a couple of requests to have separate TOC and reading order, so this is a heads up to arrange your TOC in whichever order you'd prefer most. Also this is entirely up to you, but bear in mind that the update pages will all be numbered 'part 1', 'part 2' etc so if you have an update numbering like chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 2b, chapter 3 - that will disappear in the update page titles and just be replaced by the sequential part numbers 1 through 4.

If a request comes in where doing something along these lines would save me a ton of time, I'll probably start asking people to do that. Also in the past I tried to do the queue entirely in-order to be fair, but I think going forward I'll jump the queue if there's an archive request that'll be really quick to do that's behind some 1-hour monster.

Geop fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Geop you should change the link for the request thread to the new one also the recommendations one

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Thanks! I'll look at the other stickies; forgot it had a new one made. Thought I handled it but apparently not?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Coming over from the last Sandcastle - the EO3 test post looked fine. :getin:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I wanted to update the master list. I swore the password was somewhere in the old thread, but I couldn't find it there either. Does anybody remember the master list password?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I may as well repost it for Dr. Fetus :v: Something to discuss:

quote:

What is this?

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City is the third entry in the Etrian Odyssey series, which are first person dungeon crawlers inspired by games like Wizardy. These games are pretty notorious for being pretty brutal with regards to difficulty. One of the main aspects of the series is drawing your own map, which is done on the touch screen. With the exception of the Untold series, the plot is very minimalistic and none of the characters you can create have any in game backstory whatsoever. They are blank slates, and you're intended to come up with their personalities and whatnot with your imagination. There are currently eight games in the series right now. Nine with Etrian Odyssey V being announced.

Spoiler Policy

These games don't have a lot of story, but this aside from the remakes, this is probably the EO game that has the most plot. So don't spoil any of it. That goes for game mechanics and classes as well. If I haven't talked about it in an update or within the thread itself, don't talk about it. Simple. Feel free to talk about the other games, though use spoiler tags for the more spoilery stuff there.

Test Post

Other Stuff

theshim had an EO3 LP that was unfortunately abandoned. Archives are needed to view.

Test Video

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I wanted to update the master list. I swore the password was somewhere in the old thread, but I couldn't find it there either. Does anybody remember the master list password?
Username SALP Password snatched

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Username: SALP
Password: snatched

e: beaten

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 24, 2015

Kraai
Apr 24, 2007
Roguestar's Eternal Bitch
Thanks for the advise over in the other thread. I'll take it all under advisement. I may start my Star Wars let's play over again with some updated material. I may not as well, but I'll see you in the Let's Play forums proper either way.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
May the Force be with you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JordanKai posted:

Username: SALP
Password: snatched

e: beaten
What's the logic / difference as to which entries you can / can't edit?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I noticed on LP Archive there's a LP of Valkyria Chronicles where all the videos are gone (they were on blip) and they weren't saved on archive.org. Should the page for it be removed?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xander77 posted:

What's the logic / difference as to which entries you can / can't edit?

Anything that isn't listed as Archived is fair game, more or less. Archived entries can only be edited by baldurk at that point. And baldurk is the only one who can set entries to Archived status.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mraagvpeine posted:

I noticed on LP Archive there's a LP of Valkyria Chronicles where all the videos are gone (they were on blip) and they weren't saved on archive.org. Should the page for it be removed?

Probably. The good news is that another LP of that game is almost done.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh, thanks Geop.

Right, so a few questions on the Desmume keystroke recordings that I didn't get a chance to ask about in the last thread.

quote:

Except for the whole "if you use it, you can't make normal saves which you need to use it" thing. DeSmuME's keystroke recording feature is useful, but it makes you jump through hoops to make it work.

So I can't actually save in Desmume while using it. Can I get around that with savestates? (And be able to actually save eventually?) I realize it's a lot of effort for something that's probably not going to see much actual use in the LP, but I might as well make everything look good if I can. (Also smooth framerate videos make it easier to get good gifs)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, thanks Geop.

Right, so a few questions on the Desmume keystroke recordings that I didn't get a chance to ask about in the last thread.

So I can't actually save in Desmume while using it. Can I get around that with savestates? (And be able to actually save eventually?) I realize it's a lot of effort for something that's probably not going to see much actual use in the LP, but I might as well make everything look good if I can. (Also smooth framerate videos make it easier to get good gifs)
You can use normal proper saves (though I do admit to not being sure how this RPG in particular saves); but there is an option to start the TAS recording from the emulator's battery save. Normally the TAS movie tries to not allow using the battery save (since the point of it for TAS people to be able to give the recordings as proof to other people that they've done something, and they always want to start fresh), but it's simple enough to click off a box in the emulator and have it run properly off your save file in the game. Sadly it will recognize key inputs for save stating, so that means of saving probably won't be a viable option.

So it's merely clicking that box, finding the 'Battery' folder in your emulator install directory, and selecting the battery save file for the game you're playing.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
A word to the wise: twitch, the site allows users to stream pictures from their games live, allowing visitors to the site to watch feeds of professional gamers, has been recommending users reset their passwords as they have been compromised. Please be aware of this important security notice.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/twitch-hacked-game-streaming-websites-user-details-compromised-10129647.html

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, if you want to make a new save to use to record from later, you have to make a savestate, close DeSmuME, re-open it, load the state and then save so that it is actually registered. It's kinda annoying, really.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 25, 2015

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, if you want to make a new save to use to record from later, you have to make a savestate, close DeSmuME, re-open it, load the state and then save so that it is actually registered. It's kinda annoying, really.

Oh, good. I'm not losing my marbles this is actually how you have to do it.

I lost too much progress in Lost In Blue from keystroke recordings before I figured out the arduous and awkward method to actually get it to register a save.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Oh, good. I'm not losing my marbles this is actually how you have to do it.

I lost too much progress in Lost In Blue from keystroke recordings before I figured out the arduous and awkward method to actually get it to register a save.
Or you could just use normal save files and not save states? It eliminates the jumping through hoops. Though in the end, I still mostly assume that the videos themselves will be secondary material to the thread and it won't be super important that they be perfect; the video you showed was mostly fine to begin with.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 25, 2015

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Episode 1 - Hell Yeah! I feel I have finally fixed my audio woes. Is this okay to go to thread with?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm going to do a post production LP of Starcraft Mass Recall, which is a remake of SC1 in the SC2 engine, is there any general pitfalls or foibles that come along with a video LP that's different from screenshot? I know almost no-one will watch and I won't become internet famous, but I still want it to be good and kind of easy to throw together. If I can get Sony Vegas or Camtasia from my school should I go with that? What's a good program to use?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Turtlicious posted:

So I'm going to do a post production LP of Starcraft Mass Recall, which is a remake of SC1 in the SC2 engine, is there any general pitfalls or foibles that come along with a video LP that's different from screenshot? I know almost no-one will watch and I won't become internet famous, but I still want it to be good and kind of easy to throw together. If I can get Sony Vegas or Camtasia from my school should I go with that? What's a good program to use?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590713

Tech support has a lot of info that can help, and guides to get you started.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Turtlicious posted:

With VLPs, you have to keep a snappy pace because unlike an SSLP, where readers can go at their own pace, you're the one who defines how long certain sections go on for and you need to know how to show off a thing in the most entertaining way. If you can go ahead and get a big NLE, I'd say do it because those things are really powerful tools for editing and it beats the hell out of typing out AVIsynth scripts. If you need further help with actually editing or recording or something, those are questions more for the TSF linked in Jobbo_Fett's post.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Turtlicious posted:

If you want (good) examples, I'd suggest checking out Jsor's WC3 thread or SovietPotatoe's Tiberian Sun thread OR Raldan's SC2 thread

They all vary in how they show off their content and I personally like them all. Having a co-commentator helps, and doing a Blizzard game should be easy in terms of having someone join in and help you out. Other RTS' may not have the same reaction.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If I remember the SC1 campaign correctly, you should just be prepared to cut out a lot of waiting around and building your armies since those missions aren't designed with pacing in mind.

Also, if you don't want to use scripting and/or not pay for your editing software, try Avidemux. Very easy to do basic editing like cutting and deinterlacing in that.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 25, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anilEhilated posted:

If I remember the SC1 campaign correctly, you should just be prepared to cut out a lot of waiting around and building your armies since those missions aren't designed with pacing in mind.

Also, if you don't want to use scripting and/or not pay for your editing software, try Avidemux. Very easy to do basic editing like cutting and deinterlacing in that.

Yeah that's fine, I even have little cards of the marines animations to pull up on the screen and talk about the characters / Unites / EU when I have time.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you want (good) examples, I'd suggest checking out Jsor's WC3 thread or SovietPotatoe's Tiberian Sun thread OR Raldan's SC2 thread

They all vary in how they show off their content and I personally like them all. Having a co-commentator helps, and doing a Blizzard game should be easy in terms of having someone join in and help you out. Other RTS' may not have the same reaction.

What did you like about each of these LP's in particular? what made them appealing to you?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 25, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm personally a bigger fan of screenshots for RTSes. If only because I like being able to Pg Dn through the images to get to the major events. spookydonut is doing one of C&C: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696752

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Turtlicious posted:

What did you like about each of these LP's in particular? what made them appealing to you?

First of all, I like all the games that I mentioned. Raldan does a good job on commentary, and his guest helps out too. He's also playing SC2 on the hardest difficulty and it's interesting to see how that level of gameplay differs from mine (Which is worse), SovietPotatoe shows off the game pretty well and has/had some interesting info about the development and internals/coding of the game. Jsor has some neat editing along with good explanations of the game and the differences in multiplayer and singleplayer after so many patches.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Geop posted:

I may as well repost it for Dr. Fetus :v: Something to discuss:

To be blunt, I'm kinda wondering what's the point of doing an EO LP if you're only using one team. That's showing off, what, 20% of the content an LP reader might be interested in? A reader isn't getting too much out of the individual fights or explorations, and the story is a fairly small part of things, so a lot of the interest is going to be in showing off synergies and various ways to break the game. Your party seems kind of low on interesting tricks and synergies, and it isn't very high in the power tiers, either.

So what's the angle, here?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

anilEhilated posted:

Yes, I looked into doing a SC LP at one point, and it involves a ton of turtling. There is an alternate approach in that if you have pretty insane micro you can do some speedrun bullshit. I could do it, but it made a lot of maps with those tricks maybe 1-8 minutes and I couldn't pull it off consistently in one take, which means editing out a lot of saves/reloads while you micro your ultralisk tank JUST RIGHT while you micro your army to the objective or whatever.

There was one Brood War one in particular, I think it's the one where you get like 5 minutes to prepare before 90% of the map wakes up and wrecks your poo poo, and the most viable strategy that's not 2 hours of playing-it-safe tedium is a constant Zerg rush wave. Without it, it's still like a 30 minute map and you have to make sure you don't completely screw up your constant unit building. (And I'm not joking about constant. The strategy involves something crazy like 10 hatcheries all producing hydras and zerglings nonstop)

I don't think it's impossible, but Starcraft predates a lot of things modern RTS games (especially Blizzard RTS games) do to make maps engaging. This is assuming the mod doesn't make balance tweaks, of course.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 26, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mod is actually created to mitigate that, it uses different scripting / strategies to get your poo poo going, which is part of why I want to show it off.

E: But yeah will definitely be editing out a ton of the "Then I placed my third barracks and nothing happened." bits.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Einander posted:

To be blunt, I'm kinda wondering what's the point of doing an EO LP if you're only using one team. That's showing off, what, 20% of the content an LP reader might be interested in? A reader isn't getting too much out of the individual fights or explorations, and the story is a fairly small part of things, so a lot of the interest is going to be in showing off synergies and various ways to break the game. Your party seems kind of low on interesting tricks and synergies, and it isn't very high in the power tiers, either.

So what's the angle, here?

Oh, that's not my actual plan for the LP. I was just laying out a skeleton so I could get feedback on the screenshots, audio stuff, and video. I'm not starting it for a while, but I might as well prepare for it. I'll be letting readers vote on what classes I'll be using throughout the course of the LP. Speaking of which.

Dragonatrix posted:

Well that works, so thanks for the advice!

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Baby's first let's play: Any feedback at all is appreciated. My commentary is pretty "eh", mostly because I have an obnoxious reliance on starting sentences with "so..." The things you notice in post.

Adventures in street fights and money lending: Let's Play Yakuza 4

What is this game?
If you look at the introduction to IGN's guide of Yakuza 4, you'll find this:

quote:

Yakuza 4 is a heavily plot-driven game about four men, the woman that connects them, a twenty-five-year-old murder mystery that nobody thinks is a mystery, a hundred billion yen in cash, and a city where fifty percent of the population are muggers and one hundred percent of them are about to have their teeth kicked in.
Yakuza 4 is, obviously, the fourth installment of the Yakuza series that started 10 years ago on the PS2. Up until this point, all of the previous games centered around an ex-yakuza hot shot named Kazuma Kiryu and his own mishaps and adventures through Japan's criminal underworld. In this game, Kiryu has to share the spotlight with three entirely new protaginists. There's drama, intrigue, romance, bromance, Weird Japanese Humor, mini-games and a whole lot of fist fights in between.

This game was released in Japan in March 2010 and later came to the west almost exactly one year later. While the series has been immensly popular back in its homeland, it's barely been scraping by in all markets out west. For a while it seemed that the fourth game would be the last "real" installment of the series we'd ever see. Sega had seemingly given up on localizing the fifth game until Sony offered to pay the bill.

Yakuza 5 is expected to have its western release sometime later in 2015, three years after coming out in Japan. You can consider this LP my own meager attempt to give this series some much-needed exposure. These are great games, and if I can sell just one person on them, then I can walk away happy.

Will I need to play the previous games to understand the story?
Not at all. Like I said, three of the four main charcaters here are completely fresh faces; the story is (mostly) independent to the events of Yakuza 1-3. Any references to previous games are pretty easy to read for newcomers. What's more, each new game comes with narrated recaps of each game that preceded it. Yakuza 4 is probably the most accesible sequel for anyone coming in blind.

If you want more, Jamesman did an LP of the first game. You can find that Here

Geop also started an LP of Yakuza 2, but he was forced to axe it after about 10 updates.

What about the LP?
I'll be playing through the game and commentating on it with my friend Lauren, who's coming in completely blind.

A lot of the appeal to these games is the story. You won't be hearing us babble over cutscenes; you'll only hear that when we're exploring, fighting and doing side missions.

I'd like to hit 100%, but that's a super daunting task that includes learning the formal rules to games like shogi and mahjong. I'll do my best but I also make no promises.

I feel like a fool for never knowing about these games. How can I play?
Don't be too hard on yourself. It's still easy enough to find retail copies of 3 and 4 on Amazon. A digital version of 4 was released a few months ago at the Playstation Store. You can also find a version of the original game in the same place; it's under PS2 classics. There's also a zombie spin off called Dead Souls that's easy to get anywhere, though your mileage may vary.

Yakuza 1 Recap
Yakuza 2 Recap
Yakuza 3 Recap

Part 1: The worst loan shark

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'm so glad someone else is looking at this series :allears: Hoping to get back to LPing it in the future, but it's more of a distant goal that'll never pan out, I'm sure.

Video quality looks good! This is more of a minor item/tip, but when auto-ducking, you can make the sloping much more gradual by playing around with the wave/graph in Audacity. There's also an option to allow more of a pause, which is nice if you have two people or if you have a habit of pausing a lot. It gives you a lot more control over how often the audio ducks, and how gradually it does so.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I personally prefer not using autoduck. Instead I use a consistent volume level for commentary and only raise it for dialogue and cutscenes or other things I really want to highlight. It's not nearly as much work as one might think as it's a thing that can be adjusted fairly quickly when watching the video back. For my Dark Souls II LP I used about -8 db for the regular bits of the video at first and later -12. Audio I wanted to highlight was just set to base value.

The problem I have with autoducking is that it's often jarring. The audio will go up and down, sometimes way too frequently. I'd really only recommend autoduck if the commentary is rather scarce and there are a lot of long pauses. Just to avoid the audio going up for two seconds until the commentary starts again.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I also want to say that having switched from Audacity to Adobe Audition, it's a lot easier and more fun for me to make good-sounding audio. You don't realize how much Audacity sucks until you go to a better program.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Agreed, but in your typical free vs paid debate Audacity does pretty decent for what it is. Honestly if Premiere's audio editing tools had a properly automated noise removal tool I would avoid Audacity and Audition entirely (just use the inbuilt mixing in Premiere) but hey it's Adobe they're always a little rough around the edges with that kind of stuff.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
If people don't wanna pay for things I usually suggest they get REAPER for audio work. It's pretty amazing for what it is and what it can support. Only hurdle is well, getting used to how things work with it. Still quite a powerful program though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Zeratanis posted:

If people don't wanna pay for things I usually suggest they get REAPER for audio work. It's pretty amazing for what it is and what it can support. Only hurdle is well, getting used to how things work with it. Still quite a powerful program though.

Is REAPER going with the free unlimited trial again? Last time I checked they ditched that. Either way it's a good program. However for the editing you typically need to do for LPs Audacity is better in my opinion.

• Locked thread