Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Yeah. When you load it up you just need to click through the tabs about a dozen times to get it to say "Still Evaluating" and boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Good to know. When I tried to get REAPER again for my new computer it wasn't free at the time. They must have changed it back to the old model. It does say it's only free for 60 days when you start the program, though.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 27, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I got a tangentially topical question: I finished an LP and e-mailed a request for archival to baldurk during the big archive hiatus; now it seems he's back to maintaining the LP archive and caught up on updating to fairly recent dates, but some time ago it stopped updating. It's entirely possible he's busy or something but equally possible my LP has just slipped through the net somehow. Is there any way to check the archive's state without bothering him with a second e-mail?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

anilEhilated posted:

I got a tangentially topical question: I finished an LP and e-mailed a request for archival to baldurk during the big archive hiatus; now it seems he's back to maintaining the LP archive and caught up on updating to fairly recent dates, but some time ago it stopped updating. It's entirely possible he's busy or something but equally possible my LP has just slipped through the net somehow. Is there any way to check the archive's state without bothering him with a second e-mail?

Just be patient, Baldurk often has a really big backlog to work through and oftentimes he'll get caught up by real life. He'll contact you when it's your turn. An LP I submitted was in archival limbo for a few months before I got contacted back, so he's most likely busy at the moment.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, thanks.
edit: VVV Yeah, hence me asking this stealthily here and not being a nagging rear end in a top hat. All hail baldurk.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 27, 2015

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah, for the first LP I submitted it took about two months until he got back to me, and that was before the archives bug made him wait it out, hoping it'd get fixed.

Baldurk does this free of charge in his spare time so it's perfectly understandable if it takes some time. You should really just give him at least one high five every time you meet him.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Thinking of doing a side LP of some text adventure games, since Fire Emblem can be a pretty heavy workload and sometimes I just want to update something quick and easy when I have time to get on. I figure that's pretty simple, but I manage to gently caress up simple screenshots fairly often. Is there anything glaringly obvious I need to fix here, or does it look alright?

EDIT: Whoops, found the first issue. Too big.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Thinking of doing a side LP of some text adventure games, since Fire Emblem can be a pretty heavy workload and sometimes I just want to update something quick and easy when I have time to get on. I figure that's pretty simple, but I manage to gently caress up simple screenshots fairly often. Is there anything glaringly obvious I need to fix here, or does it look alright?

EDIT: Whoops, found the first issue. Too big.

If the text is copyable, I'd actually suggest just having a text-only or image-lite LP, especially if its a Choice Of game. There's a couple Choice Of LPs going on right now. You should probably give one a quick scan to see how they're doing it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

nine-gear crow posted:

If the text is copyable, I'd actually suggest just having a text-only or image-lite LP, especially if its a Choice Of game. There's a couple Choice Of LPs going on right now. You should probably give one a quick scan to see how they're doing it.

Yeah, that was my first thought, but it doesn't look like the text is copyable, at least not from the Steam version. I might just hold off on it until I can find a good size for the screenshots where they don't need to be TIMG'd but are still readable. I'll play with the sizing in IrfanView and see what I can get.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Don't forget: you can batch edit and batch crop photos in irfanView.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

LordHippoman posted:

Yeah, that was my first thought, but it doesn't look like the text is copyable, at least not from the Steam version.

Text is always copyable, one way or another. You could try to using something like Interactive Text Hooker and see if you can't get the text that way. From how that game looks it shouldn't be complicated.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
There's also Capture2Text, an optical character reader that can pull editable text off of images or live programs or videos.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

tiistai posted:

Text is always copyable, one way or another. You could try to using something like Interactive Text Hooker and see if you can't get the text that way. From how that game looks it shouldn't be complicated.

nine-gear crow posted:

There's also Capture2Text, an optical character reader that can pull editable text off of images or live programs or videos.

Did not know either of these things existed. I'll try them out and see what comes of it, thanks for the advice.

EDIT:

CHAPTER ONE: HOMEWARD BOUND

A helicopter blade slices through the air inches away from your face, filling your nostrils with the smell of burning metal. You don't have time to process this, however, as a ball of flame unfurls in your direction.

You leap onto a neighboring rooftop and tumble around a smoldering chunk of engine. Today was supposed to be your day off, but when you saw a news chopper careening out of control above the city, you couldn't just stand by like a common pedestrian.

As you pull clear of the wreckage, you see that the ejected pilot floats high above the rooftops from a parachute—one that is crawling with licks of flame. It won't be long before the parachute burns through and the pilot drops hundreds of stories to his death...

So, how are you going to save him?

Had to add in the line breaks myself, but it worked out well. Thanks!

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 28, 2015

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I appreciate all the tips on my first video. Audio was the one thing that worried me about making these things and I'll try to keep it all to heart. The second video was mostly done when I posted the first, so I took Geop's advice first and made the auto-ducking more gradual and long-lasting.

I just posted the thread. I'm hoping to keep an update schedule of Tuesdays and Saturdays, circumstances permitting.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

nine-gear crow posted:

!

This is going to be very useful. Last I checked, (wow, three years ago) the process was way more difficult and complicated.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I've got a little question about credits sequences. How are those typically handled in a screenshot LP? I mean I guess you could just put up a video and be done with it, but what about when there's actually stuff happening during the credits?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait wait wait...you're telling me this is a thing when I've been typing text heavy SSLPs on my own!?! :stare:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

nine-gear crow posted:

Crow, you are a loving lifesaver, that helps with a *lot* of things. Gonna see if I can edit that one into the TSF Wiki... Yup, there we go!

EDIT: I'm with TinTim on this one, that opens up a whole lot of time saving!

EDIT 2: Ahahahahaaa, it's by no means a perfect tool, but then, old game fonts can be loving terrible. It managed to get a third of the characters right on Iron Seed (A game with notoriously 80s text), and garbled the rest, but considering that's one of the hardest tests I could set for it? Not bad! :V

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've got a little question about credits sequences. How are those typically handled in a screenshot LP? I mean I guess you could just put up a video and be done with it, but what about when there's actually stuff happening during the credits?

There's no set approach, as far as I'm aware. Some people do a video of the credits, others commentate on the "Wait what?" moments where things happen in credits, others ignore credits completely. Personally, I'd say video it, with screenshots of highlights, but it's really a matter of taste.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 28, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Depends on the credits. In Safecracker, the "credits" were a video of tour of the developer offices, which was pretty neat. In that case, I put up a video and told people to watch it (the standard "you should really watch this" line does wonders). In Unterwegs in Düsterburg, the credits were text only, and would have spanned over dozens of screenshots, had I done it that way. So I simply transcribed them. In Safecracker 2, I simply ignored them because they weren't interesting at all, and honestly, the game kind of pissed me off at that point. And in Vampire: Bloodlines, I didn't post them because I'd probably get slapped with copyright infringement over the song that plays over them and they're really loving long.

If you have credits where things are happening, I'd go with the first option. Throw up a video, tell people to watch it because something happens during them. Those that are interested enough will look at it, and that's really the best you can do.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

nine-gear crow posted:

Mother fucker. This changes everything.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

crow, did you discover this program before or after you finished WKC?

That is to say, exactly how much did you suffer?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I personally use the credits as an excuse to sum up my thoughts and feelings on the game I just LP'd. I'll show off famous names and other notable stuff (the translators if they sucked at their job, someone with a weird name, etc.) and recap my feelings on the game, how the LP went, and how the LP may have changed my mind or whatever. But that's just what I do.

Anyway, if there's stuff happening during the credits, might as well show that stuff off too unless it's too boring. Hell, if there's a lot going on, put it off in its own update if you want.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

crow, did you discover this program before or after you finished WKC?

That is to say, exactly how much did you suffer?

White Knight Chronciles's plot dialog was all voiced, so I had to manually transcribe it all anyway. So of course, the answer is a lot.

I found this one when looking for a program that would help me translate the Avatar Story DLC from Japanese. Every other OCR out there was either terrible or premiumware. C2T was the only good free one. I wouldn't have been able to do it without this thing, that's for sure.

It has a slight tendency to misidentify certain Kanji characters when working in Japanese (今 confuses the gently caress out of it...), but beyond that :siren::siren:THIS PROGRAM WORKS AMAZINGLY WELL:siren::siren:!

Someone should probably PM Zeratanis and ask them to add it to the Tech Support Fort OP's useful programs list. Because this is a real time saver for SSLPs or translated LPs.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 28, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

nine-gear crow posted:

:siren::siren:THIS PROGRAM WORKS AMAZINGLY WELL:siren::siren:!

quote:

This is the village :31‘ South Arc, l-:n:ateu:l in the IJU1I3hir't3 :31‘ the Hingdem cut Hr-zulen.

quote:

r<Thisris1E|‘uex=illaoe of Southflrc, located in the outskirts of the Kingdom of Hrolan.

Gave it several shots with that same one sentence, and everything it generated was this level of unintelligible garbage. Maybe that's just a bad test, so I tried it with something else that should be easier for it to read.

quote:

Survival Shun Dmner: Melcnme! Me’we EDT ewerathina emu need To survive The nncnmina millenium!

quote:

Survival Shun Umner: melcnme! me’we ant ewerathina emu need tn survive The nncnmina millenium!

Well, uh... does it just have trouble with very, very clear text and nothing to obscure it or something? Because that's kinda ridiculous.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

quote:

+ we 69% @-a+@4+«eb .D.'E'_"|.:"-:1-
+ we a“E~E rm‘E'..:. u_3fl‘|'Lli‘?.F'~.:. "'

I love this thing.

e: I should've just used the text this thing spits out to transcribe the Mr. Saturn dialogue rather than make images from the game using the font.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 28, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, maybe :siren::siren:AMAZINGLY WELL:siren::siren: was a bit of an overstatement, I'm just saying for the time I worked with it and for what I used it for (pulling Japanese text out of high resolution screenshots), I had more hits than I did misses.

Yes, there was the occasional page of nonsense garbage, but this one's probably one of the more functional freeware OCRs out there without shelling out cash for a professional grade program.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, maybe :siren::siren:AMAZINGLY WELL:siren::siren: was a bit of an overstatement, I'm just saying for the time I worked with it and for what I used it for (pulling Japanese text out of high resolution screenshots), I had more hits than I did misses.

Yes, there was the occasional page of nonsense garbage, but this one's probably one of the more functional freeware OCRs out there without shelling out cash for a professional grade program.

I'm actually gonna have to agree. It managed to get at least some sense out of Iron Seed's text, it did the same with Dragonatrix's second pic (Which, while mostly readable, has terrible R's) , and, looking at the frequency of hits to misses, the weirder the font, the harder it's going to be to get successful results. Here, lemme bold to make the point.

Survival Shun Dmnar: welcome! me’we ant eweraThina auu need Tu survive The nncumina millanium!

That's two thirds, on a font that, while readable to us, isn't exactly Times New Roman, is it?

Still, if anyone finds something better, feel free to link it, because anything that saves time on an SSLP makes SSLPs more accessible to everybody.

EDIT: It definitely does better with Serif fonts like Times New Roman or the like, as an FYI.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 28, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, the wider the area you try to capture, the larger margin of error you're creating for the program. It takes a bit longer, but doing one line at a time instead of an entire text box can sometimes improve its accuracy. At least that was what I found.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

nine-gear crow posted:

Raw cut and paste results:

"Hmm, I thought Master Li would have your attention for the rest of the day. It is good to see you.

Give me examples. Tell me about the Way ofthe Closed Fist. Does this have any practical effect? I want to go back to my previous questions.

Tyranny from external sources is easy to find and fight. Defending those who cannot defend themselves is a reasonable example.
But when your abilities are so much greater than those around you, there is the temptation to set everything right by might alone. That is tyranny from within.

HARMONIC CoMBINA11oNs "To fight without thought is suicide. The path to victory is laid out one step at a time, each ahead of your opponent's." -Sagacious Tien Harmonic combinations demand the use of two styles in rapid succession. The first must be of the class called Support, the second from the class known as Martial. Timing is the key: begin with a focused disabling effect, and follow quickly with a powerful barehanded blow. The two actions working in concert will create a harmonic channel in your chi and wreak havoc upon your foe. You must be swift, as the window to create the harmony is limited. Disable your foe, close swiftly as you change style, and strike with all available force. Let nothing stand in your way, but beware. Opponents of great strength may possess the training to resist this technique. Thought will guide you to victory. Harmonic combinations if will ensure the journey is swift".

Yeah, this is pretty good.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I've been thinking about doing an LP of The Void, the reasons being there is a remake of pathologic in the works so it is topical, I never beat the game and I generally enjoy blind LP's a lot more than the very informative ones. I checked the lp master list however and found that there is already an entry for The void. Would I be stepping on anyone's toes if I attempted it? Much of my previous "work" is lost to viddler, but I can refer you tothis youtube series that I did I don't know why.

The point being if my accent or style is very offputting, then that's fine and I won't bother. I just recently remembered doing the LP of half life and I enjoyed it a lot, so I would like to get involved again. I have this on youtube though, so this should give you some idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7SL3GH3UEU

Please advise. Also any advice on how to get a better audio balance is very welcome. The video quality is alright I think?

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 29, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

how me a frog posted:

I've been thinking about doing an LP of The Void, the reasons being there is a remake of pathologic in the works so it is topical, I never beat the game and I generally enjoy blind LP's a lot more than the very informative ones. I checked the lp master list however and found that there is already an entry for The void. Would I be stepping on anyone's toes if I attempted it? Much of my previous "work" is lost to viddler, but I can refer you tothis youtube series that I did I don't know why.

The point being if my accent or style is very offputting, then that's fine and I won't bother. I just recently remembered doing the LP of half life and I enjoyed it a lot, so I would like to get involved again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7SL3GH3UEU

Please advise. Also any advice on how to get a better audio balance is very welcome. The video quality is alright I think?
There's really no such thing as stepping on toes here; feel free to post what you'd like and people will watch it as your own individual work. It would be best though if you want some feedback on said project to post some example of that and you can get feedback from there. Also I doubt anyone here will give you poo poo about an accent; we all are really terrible at speaking here in general.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Who made the Offsite SSLP Test Post thing in the OP? I use CTRL keyboard shortcuts to make things bold or underlined, which is supported on SA but not the Test Poster. Dude should add that kind of support to the Test Poster, thanks!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As a workaround, you could type out the test post in a thread reply without posting it and then copy/paste the text into the test poster.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
That's what I usually do. Nobody will ever know I've secretly been making test post drafts in the depths of Auspol Chat Thread.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I do that too. Though I sometimes accidentally hit the post button instead of the preview button. Then I have to quickly cover it up so I don't look like a total idiot. So if ever one of my posts looks particularly dumb, that might by why.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Make your test post with the new thread screen instead of the new reply screen then. To make a new thread, you'll need a title for the "thread" and if you don't enter one, you won't be allowed to post that "thread".

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

how me a frog posted:

Thankfully, people don't tend to use their toes to LP (barring one exception), so you're in no danger of stepping on any. From what I gathered back when I watched the LP you mentioned, though, a blind LP of The Void seems like it could hit an unwinnable state. If you're cool with that possibility, go ahead. I'm sure there'd be plenty of people who'd watch to see what would happen. Alternately, if it's an issue, you could look into finding a non-blind co-commentator who'll only speak up if you're about to gently caress yourself over or something.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Make your test post with the new thread screen instead of the new reply screen then. To make a new thread, you'll need a title for the "thread" and if you don't enter one, you won't be allowed to post that "thread".

It won't let you preview it without a title either.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Red Metal posted:

It won't let you preview it without a title either.

If you want the preview, then c/p your work into the test poster? The idea is to be able to use an editor that has BBCode shortcuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Find a post in one of your own threads or something buried deep in the thread where nobody will currently be looking and use that as a testing ground. That's what I do whenever I have an OP change or something that I need to test. One kind of annoying thing about the test poster is that it simulates a post that's being previewed in the make-a-post form, instead of what the post will actually look like, so images have that little half-a-space between them and so on. I get around this by just editing my real posts in places temporarily!

• Locked thread