Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Game Thread: Operation Passing Angel

DYNAMITE CRISIS
Metal Gear. Die Hard. Dino Crisis. Spy Fiction. Mission Impossible. Dynamite Cop. What do these things have in common? High stakes, high octane, espionage action is what!

When a renegade battalion of terrorists threatens the future of peaceful nations from aboard a captured mobile nuclear silo, who in the world can stop them? And when a rogue nation launches a laser death satellite to destroy it's peaceful neighbors, and hold the entire planet hostage, who can we count on to save us all? Only the greatest soldiers, the most cunning spies, and the baddest dudes.

That's where you come in. You're going to BE those soldiers and spies. Three of them, to be specific. As agents of the United Nations top secret O.C.A.M. team, you are the deniable covert-ops asset that can make the difference between war and peace, in a world where scientific achievement is the currency of nations, and intelligence it's greatest weaponry. Where corporations grow to sizes rivaling nations, and add to the struggle for power and peace. Where the allegiance of a person to their country or ideals is rarely as strong as their allegiance to money. Where soldiers, spies, and scientists all become mercenaries in the service of geopolitical conquests. In this kind of world, the only limits are your mission parameters, and the strength of your convictions!

FATE
As fans of Dr. Kojima can attest, the battlefield is a dramatic place, filled with loyalty, love, and lies. These incredible conflicts breed incredible action, and to help capture this action/drama paradigm, I'm employing the FATE system. FATE is a fairly easy to understand collaborative storytelling system, with enough mechanical meat to replicate the stunts, stealth, and sabotage I fully expect will litter every other paragraph of this game thread.

Don't know the system? I'm fairly new to it myself. Check this handy link and learn the basics. We'll be skipping a few parts to accommodate the asynchronous play-by-post format, but the rules for creating a character, and playing the game are all there, and totally free. But don't get too far ahead of yourself. This is a collaborative mission!

OPERATIVES
Since a large part of this system relies on mutual generation of shared history and world detail, we're forgoing the usual style of application.

In its place, I need candidates for a top-secret covert mission, drawn from the full range of the world's military and intelligence agencies. Anyone and everyone that the UN can produce, or procure, will be considered for this secret team, so long as they've got the skills and the attitude to be the best.

Your application should include:
A name.
Your High Concept, and your Trouble.
A very brief bio (Nationality, previous branch(s) of service, likes, dislikes, hobbies, other little bits of fluff. Try to keep it to a single paragraph.)
Ideally a picture or photo of your operative.

Distribute 20 skill points between the following skills:

Alertness
Athletics
Communication
CQC (armed melee)
Deceit
Demolitions
Driving
Electronics
Engineering
First Aid
Infiltration
Marksmanship
Martial Arts (unarmed melee)
Provocation
Resolve
Stealth
Strength
Survival

You'll start with 2 Health, 2 Staminas, and 2 Psyche stress boxes, and may increase these by placing skill points in Strength, Athletics, and Resolve, respectively.

The rest will be generated after initial candidate selection, and/or in play. This game will be using an extras system, with no additional permissions necessary (subject to change,) to represent the tactical soldier/spy gear you'll encounter. But we'll get to that later. In the mean time, feel free to ask me any and all questions that you've got.

I'm looking for three players, who can commit to at least one post a week, though if turn out is astounding, I may consider more.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Color me interested. Give me a sec while I cook something up. I was thinking an ex-cop who worked himself up into higher positions until finally becoming part of OCAM. What's that stand for, anyway?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I would imagine it's similar to HARM.

(interested)

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

O.C.A.M. stands for the "Office of Clandestine Action Missions." I was secretly hoping no one would ever ask.

Sandymane
Jul 21, 2014

I'm rather interested, but I can't cook anything up until I'm off work. I'll look back here later after I manage to whip something up.

Also, I am new to the FATE system but not RPGs and have also never done a PBP before.

Sandymane fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 25, 2015

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
When you say "with dinosaurs" in the recruitment post, do you mean the characters or the setting or what?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I've never played Fate before but I am really fuckin' tempted to make someone known as O.C.A.M.'s Razor.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Officer Mark Sterling

Mark in his policing days

HC: To Serve and Protect
TR: My Wife is a Terrorist

Brief Bio:

Fresh out of the New York City Police Academy, Mark was looking forward to a life of protecting the city that he loved. That was before a terrorist attack in New York changed his life, and motivated him to become a higher authority in law enforcement. His pursuit of justice led him to positions at the state level, federal level, becoming part of anti-terrorism organizations within the US armed forces and the UN, before finally settling in to the shadowy OCAM team. Somewhere along the way, he met the woman of his dreams, but they have since developed distinct differences in philosophy ever since she tried to blow up a building during a hostage situation. He still loves her, though. I'm sorry I forgot to mow the lawn, now put down the bomb, honey!

Personality-wise, I'll be playing him as the straight man that makes smart rear end comments. He takes the crazy situations he gets into seriously (drat, not only can these dinos open doors, they can use guns!), but uses humor as a tool for stress relief.

Hobbies: Reading crime novels, collecting old detective pulp comics, cigarettes, coffee, classic rock, cryptography, and amateur photography.

Rad Skills: (I'm gonna do it pyramid style unless it's unnecessary)

+4 Alertness
+3 Athletics, Communication
+2 Driving, CQC, Marksmanship
+1 Provocation, Deceit, Resolve, Strength

I'll edit in a picture as soon as I find one. Pic added. I'm sure he doesn't dress to work like that anymore, but the idea gets across.

Oh yeah, and I've also never done PbP before. Well, at least not out of class, which is probably a weirdass distinction. I think I got the gist of how it goes, though; just let me know if I'm messing something up.

Appoda fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 25, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

First Lieutenant Alicia Silvers

High Concept: The Punchinest Soldier The Army Has To Offer

Trouble: We're Not Going Up There, Are We?

Lt. Silvers entered the US Army at the age of 19, and 7 years later has become one of the force's top experts in unarmed combat. Trained in Jeet Kune Do from a young age, she almost immediately came to the Army's notice with her close-quarters prowess and has aided in several high-profile missions, including aiding in the Borginian Revolution, and currently works as a CQC trainer at Fort Hunter Liggett in California. Lt. Silvers is self-sure and cocky, though never to the point of arrogance. She takes on missions with enthusiasm and is noted by her peers to have a great sense of humor.

Noted issues: Suffers from acrophobia due to a water tower climbing incident as a child. The phobia has been mitigated somewhat through therapy, but personnel working with Lt. Silvers are advised to take caution during assignments which may involve high places.

Likes: Spicy food, sour candy, Dungeons & Dragons, acid jazz
Dislikes: Coffee, overly macho men, zombie movies

Hobbies: Is the creator of a YouTube video series offering basic Jeet Kune Do lessons and tricks.

I'll be playing her as a big buff wisecracking action hero who loves this poo poo. She punches first and asks questions later, and then punches again just to be sure.

+4: Martial Arts
+3: CQC, Strength
+2: Athletics, Resolve, Survival
+1: First Aid, Alertness, Communication, Provocation

Aspect: Front-Line Soldier
Aspect: The Power of Teamwork
Aspect: The Lowest Bodycount Possible

Health: OOOOO
Stamina: OOOO
Psyche: OOOO

Free Gear:
Light Gear:
Medium Gear:
Heavy Gear:

Screw the Rules, I Have Fists!: Once per scene, spend a Fate Point to use Martial Arts in place of any other skill to punch your way out of a problem.

As Long As I Have You: +2 to Resolve when working with another person to solve a problem.

Flex My Pecs!: Spend a Fate Point to add +3 to a Strength roll once per scene.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 6, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Gonna make a conspiracy theorist dude.

Sandymane
Jul 21, 2014

Kari Warner

Kari Warner shortly after her injury

HC: One Step Ahead
TR: The Devil of the Desert

Bio:
A Mossad operative with experience in infiltration and assassination, Warner became disillusioned with the perpetual conflict in the Middle East following a disfiguring injury suffered during an ambush. She returned to duty with a distinctive facial scar and a cold ruthlessness to finish her mission. She began to use guerilla and terroristic tactics against local populations. While it was effective, civilian casualties were great. She found her way into OCAM as a way for the IDF to move her actions out of the spotlight. Anything goes in battles that aren't officially fought.

Despite her cut throat methods, she is surprisingly well-liked by her peers for her knack in bringing all operatives homes safe. This doesn't stop her from being a headache for superior officers.

Likes: Explosions, hot showers and that feeling when a plan comes together
Dislikes: Getting dirty, being outplayed, letting a target get away, any mention of her scars

Hobbies: pyrotechnics, competitive shooting, classical music, cooking, and trashy romance novels

I plan on playing Kari very ruthlessly and with a degree of cynicism. She will do whatever is needed to finish the mission. She won't go out of her way to be Chaotic Evil, but if an IED to take out a convoy happens to cause civilian casualties she won't lose too much sleep.

Skills:
+4: Stealth, Marksmanship
+3: Demolitions, Infiltration
+2: Alertness, Resolve
+1: Athletics, Strength

Sandymane fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 26, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Interested. EDIT: Nevermind that idea.

Agent Layla Pearce

High Concept: MI5 Counter-Terrorism Field Agent

Trouble: Obsessed With Bleeding-Edge Technology

Layla Pearce had been training for field work since her first day after her A-levels. Partially from a love from her country and partially from the myriad of media about spies in the modern day. While she toned down her expectations as to how much excitement she was going to see on a day-to-day basis within a year, she still had the drive and passion in her field work. The big thing was her mental flexibility in the field and showing a good quality for marksmanship. After a few years working directly for MI5, she was suggested for the UN's OCAM team as someone who could help round out any team out in the field.

Likes: New technology, fast cars, gambling, seeing the world, high-end coffee

Dislikes: Paperwork, loud people, her over-protective stepdad (Reginald Worthington), stakeouts, Starbucks

Phase Trio:

My Story: Just One Clue Away
Giovanni's Story: Jet-Setting World Traveler
My Story (Redux):

Skills:
Great (+3): Athletics, Electronics, Resolve
Good (+2): Marksmanship, Alertness, Deceit
Average (+1) Strength, Stealth, Demolitions, Driving, Communications

Stress:
Health: O O O
Stamina: O O O O
Psyche: O O O O

Consequences:
Mild (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Severe (-6):

Stunts:

Just Like A Computer: Can use Electronics instead of Infiltration when dealing with electronic locks and alarms.

Clothes Make The Woman: Gain +2 to creating advantages with Deceit after taking time to get a disguise.

Expert Marksman: +1 to attacks and create an advantage with handguns.

Never Say Never: Once per session, at the cost of a fate point, you can reduce the severity of a moderate mental consequence to a mild consequence (if your mild consequence slot is free), or erase a mild consequence altogether

Gear:

Open Slots: 6

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 6, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

When you say "with dinosaurs" in the recruitment post, do you mean the characters or the setting or what?

The setting. There are dinosaurs and it's a secret. Nobody know about the dinosaurs. Disregard all thoughts of dinosaurs until further notice.

Also, since it was asked, it's not necessary to distribute your skills pyramid style, but there's really no reason not to if it makes it easier for you.

And since a few of you are new to PbP, take a look around the sub-forum and see how others are doing it. I'm more used to Marvel Heroic, myself, but there are a few FATE based games going on as well, that might give you an idea what to expect.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 25, 2015

Sandymane
Jul 21, 2014

Fleshed out my character a bit.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3708497#post443206176

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm a PBP vet, especially Fate, so I can help if anybody has any questions.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Reginald "Hedgehog" Quill III

High Concept: A Black-Hat Turned White
Trouble: The Man Who Sold the (Under)world

Bio: Reginald Quill was a minor noble from England whose ennui was only eclipsed by his genius. Being a bored genius led to delinquency - specifically, in Reginald's case, hacking. It was his raison d'etre, his greatest passion. And he became the best at it. Going by the name Hedgehog (because "he had enough spikes to shut down anyone", in his own words,) he became the go-to guy for security breaches in the underworld. Eventually, though, information gained through a hack of his resulted in a major terrorist attack and the deaths of thousands. The ensuing crisis of conscience drove Quill to change his ways - lending his services to governments, security agencies, and his own private crusade to avenge the deaths of the innocent people killed, selling out most of the criminal underworld he had worked with in the process. Eventually, he caught the attention of OCAM, who knew they couldn't pass up an asset of Quill's caliber.

Likes: hacking, bourbon, fine dining, tailored suits, building electronic devices, grunge, breaking Queensbury rules at every available opportunity

Dislikes: low-tech solutions, ignorant people, terrorists, country music, dogs, fighting fair

Personality: I plan on playing Quill as being the helpful hacker with a lateral course of action for everything. The tech comes easily to him, and he certainly won't run from a fight, but when it comes to blowing things up and punching guys in the face, he'd be much more comfortable with having people that are actually trained for that sort of thing.

+4: Electronics, Engineering
+3: Infiltration, Communication
+2: Provocation, CQC
+1: Martial Arts, Driving

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 26, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Giovanni Pirrazo

One of the greatest detectives in Italy, Giovanni has spent his life studying and solving mysteries, and fighting the mafia against all odds. As a result of his sleuthing, he trusts very few people and is a conspiracy nut, though his conspiracy theories tend to differ from those of a traditional American conspiracy theorist. When the UN reached to him however, he refused. After spending some time stewing on it, however, he ultimately agreed, deciding that any knowledge acquired through working with O. C. A. M. would be invaluable, and could possibly be used as leverage in the future. He is an oddball, often trying to act cool, but often coming off as unusual. In what little spare time he has, he enjoys playing adventure games and baking. Once in a blue moon he'll sit back and watch cheesy movies. Despite his image, he is a teetotaler, feeling drinking to be an easy way to get oneself into unneeded danger.

HC: Conspiracy Theorist Detective
TA: Can't Trust Anyone

Skills
+4: Infiltration
+3: Alertness, Communication
+2: Driving, Deceit, Provocation, Stealth
+1: Resolve, Marksmanship

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 26, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I should probably mention that "Infiltration" and "Stealth" have some marked differences, which are not terrifically apparent. (My bad.)

Stealth is a measure of skill at hiding, and moving about, undetected. Naturally, it's intended for characters who wish to remain unnoticed.

Infiltration is a little less obvious. Infiltration measures a character's skill at gaining access using conventional, and unconventional means. Picking locks, sabotaging or bypassing electronic security, small acts of theft, and disguises. There is a fair amount of overlap with other skills of course, but unlike most skills it overlaps with, infiltration rarely requires having tools, or system access, or other specialized resources available. An infiltrator can manually bypass a security keypad with stolen credentials, improvised sabotage, or by convincingly portraying themselves as someone who is authorized to pass. It's a jack of all trades "thief" skill, in a sense.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I should probably mention that "Infiltration" and "Stealth" have some marked differences, which are not terrifically apparent. (My bad.)

Stealth is a measure of skill at hiding, and moving about, undetected. Naturally, it's intended for characters who wish to remain unnoticed.

Infiltration is a little less obvious. Infiltration measures a character's skill at gaining access using conventional, and unconventional means. Picking locks, sabotaging or bypassing electronic security, small acts of theft, and disguises. There is a fair amount of overlap with other skills of course, but unlike most skills it overlaps with, infiltration rarely requires having tools, or system access, or other specialized resources available. An infiltrator can manually bypass a security keypad with stolen credentials, improvised sabotage, or by convincingly portraying themselves as someone who is authorized to pass. It's a jack of all trades "thief" skill, in a sense.

Duly noted. going to modify my sheet.

Sandymane
Jul 21, 2014

Understood and modified. I think this will be my final update.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What about CQC and Martial Arts? Does it really make much of a difference if you're hitting a dude with your fist or hitting a dude with a rifle butt or nightstick or whatever?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

In a way. CQC is intended to represent quicker, less meditated, and often less controlled close quarters fighting, involving weapons, hand-to-hand techniques, and possibly even firearms. It has the potential to bring in special stunts or modifications granted by the gear a character is wielding.

Martial Arts on the other hand, represents primarily unarmed fighting, using only the body as a weapon. While the chances of adding special stunts and modifiers from gear are slim, you also can't really be deprived of the option to use Martial Arts, like you can with weapon based fighting. On top of that, it adds the option to create aspects, and stunts trees around the particular style or styles of Martial Arts the character uses.

I did consider having them be one thing, but ultimately decided there was more action oriented flavor possibilities to splitting them up.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Modifying my sheet accordingly.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Also, can we get a little clarification on the Engineering skill?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Sure. Engineering represents mechanical aptitude. The character's ability to assemble, repair, and take apart machinery. Clearing a jammed gun, dismantling a helicopter's engine, or building a flamethrowing tank out of a tractor and a barrel of kerosene would all be Engineering tasks.

Electronics is similar, except it deals specifically with electronic equipment, and computers. So building a radio from spare parts, converting a cell phone into a stun gun, or remotely seizing control over a building's security network would all be Electronics tasks.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Makes sense. I suppose I'll just leave Mark's punchiness the way it is, then.

What about Investigation?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Not a skill we're using here. Most of it's functions would be assumed by various other skills. Alertness, Infiltration, Communication, etc. Depending on what you're trying to investigate, and how, you'd probably use a different method.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm still trying to get the hang of FATE, I figure this would be good practice.
If I were carting around a grenade launcher as my weapon of choice (and pretty much incompetent with other weapons), would I use Demolitions? If I were using grappling hook or less-lethal rubber chicken rounds, what skill would I use? I could drop the GL idea and just swap it for flinging explosives around, I guess.
Can I drop Strength to boost up one of the other skills?

I wasn't sure if I was getting the right tone for a Kojima game, now I think I might have gone past Kojima and hit Suda51.
I'm sure that if I hit some milestones and ever resolve his issues, he's going to realize that he is not a chicken. He is a man.

High Concept Codename “Running Cochin”
Trouble Chicken

Bio
As one of the world's fastest traceurs, Running Cochin specializes in daring, high speed infiltrations; smash and grabs backed up by serious technical skills. He's notorious for his usual tactic of hosing down the target facility with his ratty China Lake, sprinting over a wall, and making off with his objective before the defenders can recover from the shock of being assaulted by a man in a chicken mask.
The chicken mask...is a luck piece, apparently? He calls it a disguise, that the French are after him, and admits to being a deserter from the Foreign Legion. The mask is supposed to be his disguise and his penance.

The truth is somewhat more complicated. And incoherent.
He's not a deserter. He resigned. The French are after him, yes...but they want him to go to a hospital. And pin a stack of medals to his straightjacket. He's been through a lot. Can't handle casualties at all.
Frankly, if I hadn't seen him in action, I'd say to let the French have him and good riddance. But the man can move like no one I've ever seen. Just...keep an eye on him.

Dislikes: Chicken, drunkenness, unprofessionalism, cowardice, casualties
Hobbies: Chicken farming, athletics training, racing

Skills
4 Athletics
3 Electronics, Demolitions
2 Alertness, Infiltration, Resolve
1 Communication, Engineering, Stealth, Strength

3/3 Health
6/6 Stamina
4/4 Psyche

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

If I were carting around a grenade launcher as my weapon of choice (and pretty much incompetent with other weapons), would I use Demolitions? If I were using grappling hook or less-lethal rubber chicken rounds, what skill would I use? I could drop the GL idea and just swap it for flinging explosives around, I guess.
Can I drop Strength to boost up one of the other skills?

I wasn't sure if I was getting the right tone for a Kojima game, now I think I might have gone past Kojima and hit Suda51.
I'm sure that if I hit some milestones and ever resolve his issues, he's going to realize that he is not a chicken. He is a man.

Good questions.

Yes, Grenade Launchers would fall under Demolitions, rather than standard Marksmanship. The ammunition type wouldn't much matter. Demolitions will be covering all explosives and explosive based weaponry, from bombs, to grenades, to rocket launchers. If it explodes, it's probably Demolitions.

For equipment, I have a system of Extras in mind, that should let you work your idea into play. You won't have total say over the specialized equipment that you're carrying at the start, but I can certainly permit that kind of thing as a trade-off to say, Refresh, or Stunts. You will have a lot of equipment choices though. More on that if anyone is dying to know, though I left the details out of the original post so as not to get ahead of myself.

You can't really drop Strength to boost your available skills. If you're interested in playing a more fragile character, or one who sacrifices durability for a boost to some other talent, you can always adopt an Aspect, or a Stunt with a drawback to reflect that.

Lastly, for tone, Metal Gear is sort of a middle ground for all the other influences and ideas that I've got going, and was hoping you'd all add to. It's informing me on the basic structure of the narrative, but it's not the be-all end-all. I'm not trying to emulate it to a T. Truth is, I had originally planned this game about a year ago, to be a D20 Modern "Dino Crisis" based game, for my table-top group, but it never came to fruition. D20 Modern was a pretty rough system to work from.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I will not be joining y'all, but it looks fun, and I wish you the best .:3:

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Sergeant Eliiza Yamadayev

High Concept: You Know Your A Combat Medic When...
Trouble: Saccharine Sadist

Bio
Hailing from one of the most violent regions of Chechnya, Eliiza is best described as a the unholy union of a jpop idol, medical prodigy and cannon fodder. Her defactors however prefer a more blunt description, "unwell". Whether it's kicking in doors or treating sucking chest wounds Eliiza approaches any situation with her trademark nauseatingly-cheerful attitude. A personality trait not appreciated by many of her former Spetsnaz and OCAM peers. That aside as far as her abilities as a medic are concerned it is regarded as a double edged sword, Her medical expertise is often a topic of debate among her comrades as though she has yet to lose a patient many claim her treatment ranges from questionable to borderline torture.

Dislikes: Anesthetic, cry-babies, "magic eye" puzzles
Hobbies:Piano, star-gazing

Skills
+4 First Aid
+3 Marksmanship, Resolve
+2 Athletics, CQC, Communication,
+1 Alertness, Driving, Strength, Survival

So Icey Seifuku fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 29, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Would a prototype combat android on field trials be out of the question?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

It's a bit of a stretch, but I'm not necessarily opposed. Show me the goods, and I'll let you know how I feel, and if I think it needs tweaking.

Speaking of, some great apps so far. Keep them coming!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Prototype Synthetic Combat Humanoid 01 (Psycho)

Aspects
High Concept Prototype Combat Android
Trouble Ghosts In The Machine
Expendable Asset
Child of Mad Science
Efficiency is Everything(?)

Skills
Strength, Athletics, Resolve, Marksmanship +4
Alertness, CQC +2

Stress
Health [][][][]
Stamina [][][][]
Will [][][][]

CONSEQUENCES
Mild
Moderate
Severe

Stunts

Alertness - Advanced Sensor Pods: Create an Advantage (no free invoke) that takes a Good +3 roll to remove once per scene

Targeting Matrix: Grant +3 to a specific action (Overcome?) using a specific skill (marksmanship?) when you pay a fate point

Switch ANY skill with a specific skill once per scene (resolve? I have detailed files)

Extras
  1. Gear
  2. Gear
  3. Gear
  4. Gear
  5. Gear
  6. Gear

Designed and built at vast expense and intended to be the first of a series of androids to take the place of human soldiers in future wars, the P.Sy.C.H.-01 found itself surplus to requirements when the contractor responsible for development sank under crippling debts after the disappearance of the lead scientist on the project. Despite the failure of the company the unit itself is a remarkable success, far outstripping known contemporary efforts to develop artificial intelligence. There are a few quirks with the first generation mind, of course, but nothing that should cripple the unit operationally. O.C.A.M. purchased the unit from one of the creditors for a modest figure and has been using it as a training drone. Short on assets for this vital mission, the Council have reluctantly authorized a field deployment for the first time.

The unit is not supposed to have likes and dislikes. But...it likes high grade lubricants, freeform jazz and high powered rifles, while expressing distaste for sand and dubstep. In it's spare time P.Sy.C.H.-01 enjoys birdwatching and advanced theoretical origami, and has petitioned to be allowed access to paper. So far all requests have been denied.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 6, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Okay, I love that. Really the best I could have hoped for! I would like to know what the "Ghosts in the Machine" trouble is alluding to. What did you have in mind for that?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz3vF_G70Ec&t=24s

Maybe the AI is just a little buggy and making things up or maybe whatever neural patterns they copied from human soldiers weren't edited thoroughly enough. Either way P.Sy.C.H.-01 is prone to phantom memories and eccentric deviations from mission parameters to try and fulfill some unstated previous objective. As a training unit this made it more useful, but in the field this unpredictability could be a serious risk.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 27, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I like it. I'd have to make a small accommodation for recovering stress and certain complications, being that First-Aid wouldn't really apply to healing a damaged android, but I see no reason something like that wouldn't fall under Engineering or Electronics, as needed.

So my last thought about it for now would be regarding the Staminas stress track. Can you think of a way to accomodate that, or a similar functional third stress type? I'd hate to disqualify a good character concept like this, just because it's nature makes it immune to the sort of biological and survival oriented stresses that a human would have to endure in battle (even if that's kind of the point of an android soldier.) I'd also consider a voluntary penalty to Refresh, or something like that.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Stamina could cover things like minor damage to internal components from overuse, draining batteries faster than they can recharge, overheating that affects AI function, fluid or dust getting into sensitive areas, those sort of things. Different problems than a human soldier faces, but with the same limiting effect on performance.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ingrid Brown

High Concept: Adrenaline junkie in over her head
Trouble: Mad dog of the agency

Bio:
Ingrid can't quite recall how her transient life started. Eventually everyone she knew was just dead or estranged one day. She hit the road to to the other coast looking for something to keep her fed. There weren't any jobs but plenty of work when she started looking in low places. It started small. Simple rough up jobs. Ingrid had a knack for it as it turned out. Soon enough word of her reached a city before her beat up van. This suited Ingrid just fine when the offers came to her. As long as she had a full stomach, a full tank, the road, and some action at the end of that road all was good to her. She took on riskier gigs with more dangerous groups just to make things more exciting, moving up from gangs to mafias to domestic terrorist groups. The payouts were bigger but Ingrid was too much the sentimental sort to let go of her favorite hoodie and her beat up van. Anything else would just weigh her down. What happened to the money is still an urban legend. Inevitably Ingrid bit off more than she could chew and was arrested fighting off twelve FBI officers as her clients made their escape. Her completely mercenary attitude to her client's agenda and quick betrayal of anything she knew about them caught the interest of agencies interested in her talents. Ingrid jumped at the opportunity. It presented better meals and more interesting fights than prison. However her enthusiasm for the only thing she thinks she's good at and stubbornness against agency equipment has led her to be shuffled around nearly all of America's counter terrorist agencies and departments after much more than a single mission. OCAM is the latest to try her out. At least it'll be easy to deny an operative like her.

CQC, Resolve, Stealth +4
Athletics, Alertness, Infiltration +3
Driving +2
Survival +1

2 Health, 5 Stamina, 6 Psyche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
This is why I should check the Recruitment thread more often.
Late interest post, will work on a character soon.

• Locked thread