Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Shadow posted:

Seems like it does pretty much what Preparation H does for your skin.

hey shadow tell us more about your friends who make a living scamming others and how they are good people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Y-Hat posted:

guys, guys, guys. it's not a pyramid, it's a triangle

It's a reverse funnel system.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Centripetal Horse posted:

It's a reverse funnel system.

2 leg owner subsidiary program.

Pyramid schemes are when they make money off of the people belows signup fees and that is the sole source of the groups income.

This is mlm where its a 2 leg owner subsidiary program the solely relies on people buying stupid poo poo products on their own and probably hoarding them in their basements(and lying to the irs about it) so they can stay active and still not make money from the people below you because they didnt take their 1 monthly training or some poo poo.

Totalllllly different... we are a LEGITIMATE BUSINESS WITH 1000000 UNITS SOLD.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I´m job hunting and there's always, without fail, at least one ad that is very obviously for some sort of scam. There is always little to no information about what the job actually entails or what the required experience or education is. They ads always say the job is at a well respected and prosperous company but they never actually name the company. They do spend a lot of words on how much money you can make if you work hard enough and without fail the listed email address is gmail or in the worst cases hotmail.

But maybe I'm just cynical and currently missing out on becoming rich doing a unspecified job for a unspecified company.

The worst is when one of these companies posts a detailed, professional-looking ad for an administrative position, then immediately replies after you send them your resume with something like, "That position has already been filled BUT WE ALSO HAVE AN OPENING FOR AN INDEPENDENT DIRECT SALES REPRESENTATIVE"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Well sign me the gently caress up.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

babypolis posted:

hey shadow tell us more about your friends who make a living scamming others and how they are good people

sure first off th

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh my wife is under assault from a Nerium rep. Does anyone know anything about this particular MLM and its products?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Ugh my wife is under assault from a Nerium rep. Does anyone know anything about this particular MLM and its products?

Can your wife not tell this person to gently caress off (like it's her boss or something)? Or is your wife starting to tink that MLM may be a GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO OWN YOUR OWN BU$INE$$!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sudonim posted:

Can your wife not tell this person to gently caress off (like it's her boss or something)? Or is your wife starting to tink that MLM may be a GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO OWN YOUR OWN BU$INE$$!

Its an old high school friend that wants her to try the stuff. She's mailing my wife a free sampler and my wife is interested to hear about the product itself. She came to me and is like "I KNOW This is MLM, but should I even take the sample". I checked out the site, saw the prices and told her not to touch it with a 10 foot pole, but my wife wants to try the product. SHe has no interest in recruiting others or anything like that.

I'm asking more about the product. It sounds like snake oil to me.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Oh Hell No posted:

The worst is when one of these companies posts a detailed, professional-looking ad for an administrative position, then immediately replies after you send them your resume with something like, "That position has already been filled BUT WE ALSO HAVE AN OPENING FOR AN INDEPENDENT DIRECT SALES REPRESENTATIVE"
God, when I was job hunting just about every third job I applied to pulled this poo poo. It's insane and Monster is riddled with them, and the worst part is that there's no real good way to filter them out beyond just not searching for administrative/HR jobs at all.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Jastiger posted:

It's all loving snake oil. If it was anything approaching legitimate you would be able to purchase it like everything else instead of finding an ~~~independent distributor who dont need no storefront~~~.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

dougdrums posted:

I'm really curious about this. I honestly can't say where I learned about scams like this except maybe the news or something, but I've always had the correct instinct when I encounter one. Teaching about scams in school is a good idea too.

And I know it wasn't my parents, since I've had to talk them out of it a few times.

I ran into a few of them and they just seemed shady even if I didn't know exactly what a pyramid scheme was. The first one was a summer job opportunity I went to an information session about and it was just "You paint houses! You rent all your equipment through us and buy all the paint through the parent company so you don't have to worry about supplies or storage!" and I knew something was wrong when I was told I would need to recruit my friends and was given a job offer on the spot despite saying nothing whatsoever for the previous hour.

A couple years later a friend of mine nearly got involved in a MLM where he would be selling products "like Amazon does" through a virtual store front and he had met the supplier he was going to purchase stock from because "people want their products fast and the best way to make sure I can get it to them is to have things on hand." I credit his parents in talking him out of that one.

Most people have enough common sense to see things like this, offering a quick way to get rich or make crazy money easily, for what they are. MLMs aren't built to convince those people to join, though; they are built to get the gullible people who heard "you have to spend money to make money" and didn't realize it meant investing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lazyfire posted:

I ran into a few of them and they just seemed shady even if I didn't know exactly what a pyramid scheme was. The first one was a summer job opportunity I went to an information session about and it was just "You paint houses! You rent all your equipment through us and buy all the paint through the parent company so you don't have to worry about supplies or storage!" and I knew something was wrong when I was told I would need to recruit my friends and was given a job offer on the spot despite saying nothing whatsoever for the previous hour.

My friend got roped into something like this during a summer off of college. He said they went around painting houses, didn't get paid on time, then the dude wanted them to go drum up new clients and business and said he wouldn't pay them until they did. Basically the dude said he was going to pay my friend like $1,000 and ended up trying to give him nothing.

Good thing my family has lawyers in it though, people fold quick when they get a professional letter on legal letterhead.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Moridin920 posted:

My friend got roped into something like this during a summer off of college. He said they went around painting houses, didn't get paid on time, then the dude wanted them to go drum up new clients and business and said he wouldn't pay them until they did. Basically the dude said he was going to pay my friend like $1,000 and ended up trying to give him nothing.

Good thing my family has lawyers in it though, people fold quick when they get a professional letter on legal letterhead.

this was a common scam in college. It sounds very realistic because the selling tactic is "eager, honest, student labor" honest work yada yada. Of course, they don't provide any training. I was in construction when they offered this and I basically interrogated this rear end in a top hat about why he wanted salarymen when we could just use hired contractors instead

anyway, I passed over it (it did sound as a legitimate offer, its just the people who ran it were scumbags).

http://www.contractortalk.com/f8/student-painters-9831/

Here is the company that is everywhere

https://www.reddit.com/r/udub/comments/1qeqqb/do_not_sign_or_meet_up_with_anyone_saying_theyre/

theloosecannon
Sep 13, 2003
So who else is getting social media inundated with Thrive & Le-vel?

A girl I grew up with (I graduated HS in 2001!) contacted me out of the blue to see how I was doing. She was going to be visiting home after many years in Germany (she was in the Air Force), we grew up near each other, it had been so long since we'd seen each other, our boys are around the same age, we should get together blah blah blah. What's your email, she asked?

BOOM. Used it to sign me up for Thrive/Le-vel/newest MLM bullshit. WHAT THE gently caress EVEN IS IT

e: I mean, it's not the same thing as when my dad did it, she had zero personal information. It's only a "personalized website" I can order through. But seriously? Her delivery was pretty shady. I didn't even log into it.

theloosecannon fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 29, 2015

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

theloosecannon posted:

A girl I grew up with (I graduated HS in 2001!) contacted me out of the blue to see how I was doing. She was going to be visiting home after many years in Germany (she was in the Air Force), we grew up near each other, it had been so long since we'd seen each other, our boys are around the same age, we should get together blah blah blah. What's your email, she asked?

BOOM. Used it to sign me up for Thrive/Le-vel/newest MLM bullshit. WHAT THE gently caress EVEN IS IT

e: I mean, it's not the same thing as when my dad did it, she had zero personal information. It's only a "personalized website" I can order through. But seriously? Her delivery was pretty shady. I didn't even log into it.

i guess she assumed you would fall for it?

sever.

theloosecannon
Sep 13, 2003

Rambling Robot posted:

i guess she assumed you would fall for it?

sever.

Based on another classmate's FB posts shortly after, she hooked a few people out of nostalgia.

Immediately severed.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Jastiger posted:

Its an old high school friend that wants her to try the stuff. She's mailing my wife a free sampler and my wife is interested to hear about the product itself. She came to me and is like "I KNOW This is MLM, but should I even take the sample". I checked out the site, saw the prices and told her not to touch it with a 10 foot pole, but my wife wants to try the product. SHe has no interest in recruiting others or anything like that.

This is exactly what happened to me and my wife. It was beachbody and one of her friends is a "two star coach" or something. She knew it was an MLM but shakeology sounded so great and her friend promised it would help her get her pre-pregnancy body back. I searched it and Shakeology has great reviews but every one is on a blog written by a "coach" so I told her that it's almost definitely overpriced bullshit.

They get people because people do get really, really good results with Insanity and P90X, so they assume shakeology is probably legit too. I bet they know and don't care that everyone pirates it because you can't pirate an overpriced bottle of ground up vegetables.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

not an mlm but someone i know is moving their whole family to nashville to join up with remnant fellowship which is a church started by some dietician who believes fat people dont go to heaven. ( i mean i believe that but i aint going to join up with a bunch of wackjobs in tennesee about it)

-update, the founder's husband is fat as hell lol

Budget Dracula fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 29, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Budget Dracula posted:

not an mlm but someone i know is moving their whole family to nashville to join up with remnant fellowship which is a church started by some dietician who believes fat people dont go to heaven. ( i mean i believe that but i aint going to join up with a bunch of wackjobs in tennesee about it)

-update, the founder's husband is fat as hell lol

the only moral fat is my fat

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Maybe this church thing is a ploy to convince him to get in shape?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:allears: I hope more stories about that church come soon.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
:allears: I'd like pictures!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
All of life is an MLM we're gonna keep having kids to support us in old age until there are so many people our kids literally die from the consequences of overpopulation.

Would you like to buy some steak knives, or better yet, start selling steak knives?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
my old man has been buying in to these and trying to push them on to me for the past 20 years

I don't have the heart or patience to try and explain to him why each individual endeavor is always a scam and whenever I ignore him he throws a tantrum about how THIS DEFINITELY WORKS IF YOU JUST PUT IN THE TIME AND EFFORT YOULL UNDERSTAND ONE DAY

sorry for getting real on you GBS :(

E: can I interest any of you in a method to make thousands of dollars FROM YOUR CHAIR AT THE COMPUTER?? check out this sweet check from Google m8s

Emalde fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 30, 2015

theloosecannon
Sep 13, 2003

Emalde posted:

my old man has been buying in to these and trying to push them on to me for the past 20 years

I don't have the heart or patience to try and explain to him why each individual endeavor is always a scam and whenever I ignore him he throws a tantrum about how THIS DEFINITELY WORKS IF YOU JUST PUT IN THE TIME AND EFFORT YOULL UNDERSTAND ONE DAY

sorry for getting real on you GBS :(

E: can I interest any of you in a method to make thousands of dollars FROM YOUR CHAIR AT THE COMPUTER?? check out this sweet check from Google m8s

I know that feel, friend. Except I recently told him what utter bullshit it all is.

Let's start a support group.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

theloosecannon posted:

Had to unfriend family members because of it. One's apparently super high up in the pyramid, getting their car paid for and poo poo now. Which is all well and good until that poo poo falls apart and you're left with a car payment you drat sure can't afford.

edit: holy thread necro, batman! sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

H2SO4 posted:

edit: holy thread necro, batman! sorry.

yeah

• Locked thread