Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Herbalife, next to Amway and Mary Kay, is the most well-established MLM. It is international, and they have paid stadiums to bear their name.

It just takes money from people who don't understand health, pyramid scams, or medicine so I don't hate them as much as I do some of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

that hold early morning seminars offering a free box of tissues

Wait... do tissues mean something different in Japan? Because a box of tissues is like 99 cents in the US

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So I belong to a club for parents of multiples (twins, triplets, etc.) It's usually pretty great: Clothing swaps, advice boards, etc.

However, I just got an email for their "Vendor Night." They will have "several representatives here to make shopping easy for the busy moms that we are."

The three companies represented by the vendors?

Jamberry- A fake fingernail MLM
Pampered Chef- A kitchen supplies MLM
Miche- A handbag MLM

Is there some sort of MLM watchdog site I can link to when I contact the president about these?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 29, 2015

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just to clarify, the reason why "making money for someone higher than us" is different than an MLM, is that MLM encourages recruitment of distributors, distributors who are doing the EXACT SAME JOB that the recruiter is.

Whereas a typical company has a wide discrepancy in the jobs each rung has: CEO handles stockholders and major decisions, COO coordinates daily operations, Upper management monitors earnings and makes personnel adjustments, Middle manage babysits employees, and employees do the work the company needs done.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Digiwizzard posted:

the difference between an mlm and a normal business isn't the breadth of positions, it's the business model. No matter how exploitative a company is, it still has to provide some sort of product or service that people unrelated to the company want to buy. There is something actually contributed to the market. In contrast any product or service offered by an mlm is utter dogshit and comically overpriced because its only there to obsfucate where the actual money is made; from roping in more suckers into buying more unsellable garbage by appealing to their greed and promising them they'll make a fortune because everyone will want to buy it.

If everyone in the world stopped buying coca cola, coca cola would collapse because it makes profit from selling coca cola. If every guilt tripped relative stopped buying Amway detergent or whatever, Amway would keep shambling on because the money comes not from selling something but scamming it's own "employees".

I appreciate your mutual loathing for mlm's, but a lot of them do sell solid products, albeit at an inflated price.

Nearly every mlm does sell a product that "actually contributes to the market." I find the cutco knives that have been gifted to me to be among the best in my simple collection. Kirby makes one of the best vacuums on the market, etc. it's not that they are marketing "unsellable garbage," it's that by convincing distributors to recruit identical-but-lower-paid distributors, one rockets towards exceeding market saturation.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

When did everyon itt learn about pyramid schemes? I don't remember it being covered in personal finance class in high school, which seems like a natural place, but my parents taught me about scams when I was a kid. Wondering how many people who fall for these things just don't actually know what a scam is.

I worked through college as a stockboy for a mattress retailer. It wasn't an mlm, it was just a high pressure place that attracted some low-end types who couldn't cut it selling something more glamorous. But they all made some good money and got paid every two weeks.

Then I took a job interview for Kirby and went on a ride-along. Right away I noticed that people were making way fewer sales, doing way more work (for about the same amount of commission on something twice the price), being way more indirect about their jobs to customers and the whole thing wasn't rooted in a retail store or anything. I thought the mattress store was kinda scuzzy, but then I realized that it actually had a lot of sound business practices and opportunities going for it when compared to Kirby. That allowed me to sort out the difference between a "real business that you had to work at to succeed," and a "fake business selling hope to its sales force and overpriced stuff to its customers."

• Locked thread