Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I don't know whether to laugh or cry or what, but my mother spent most of the 80s and 90s doing poo poo like this. Pretty much if anybody smooth talking promised her a way to get rich, she would get all over it. Avon, Tupperware, Mary Kay, Fireworks, Real Estate. She even tried her hand selling cars.

The worst, most laughable part, was that she's a horrible shrew who (STILL!!!) can't go twenty minutes without telling somebody that they were wrong, or rude, or crude, or going to hell.

Literally the worst personality type for a salesperson that you can imagine.

She would get so hung up on the potential rewards, she never stopped to realize that the products don't come with customers built in, and she didn't have any friends and her family lived on the other side of the country. Which is really pretty sad.

She tried so many times, in some cases multiple times with the same products, and she never ever didn't lose money. (She was also very much sold on the "God will bless you 100-fold for whatever you give as offerings above and beyond your tithes" with televangelists, so there went even more money!).

At one point, she did one of those Business Opportunities in the paper, selling Fireworks over the summer as a franchise for somebody else who was seriously over charging for the wares. She went and forced me into it, when all I wanted was to get a job at Taco Bell just around the corner. All these hot, lovely 12-15 hour days driving to the other side of the city to work in a broken down old gas station for 8 weeks, I ended up making less than I would have made in 3 weeks of 8 hour days at minimum wage. That was the shittiest summer!

The really bad part is that she graduated from a top school with an accounting degree and could have gone for her CPA and actually made real money, and if she'd taken even half of all the money she threw away on these schemes over the last 30+ years, she might be prepared for a comfortable retirement in 7 years, but I guess that was too hard. Can't wait to see all the debt she's going to try to leave me in her will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

MoreLikeTen posted:

Well that's terrifying

Well, if she had the people skills she needed to be a successful salesperson in the first place, she might have learned about the world by actually talking to her professors, lecturers, and fellow students, instead of doing just the required work so she could say she had a degree.

• Locked thread