Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Same with Keranos/Athreos vs. Polly-K.

Keranos has eternal format prospects while Polukranos is going to more or less fall off the face of the earth come October. It sits at the same cost as Thrun without the advantages of being Thrun.

Polukranos was in the fall large set and Heroes vs. Monsters, while Keranos's sole outing was Journey into Nyx. There are a lot more Polukranoseses out there than Keranosi. Keranos also is a god which is a million hella times more radical than being a particular hydra.

In fact I'd say the combination of godhood and being a 3rd set mythic would explain Athreos too.

It's not entirely about standard viability, you know. Otherwise Serra's Sanctum would be a dime instead of 300 dimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

There is also the perception that the Theros Gods are going to rise in price after rotation but something like Athreos that has never been played in anything has a hard time justifying that price tag...

They're cool as hell, unique as hell, and specifically tied to the flavor and mechanics of Theros as hell, so yeah, I can see a combination of their appeal and the difficulty of reprinting them would give them a steady incline in price.

Elyv posted:

can we not talk about price in this thread, the stuff gang sines is mentioning is much more interesting

How about the worst possible thing to be relevant when evaluating a card: synergy?

A 3-drop with double strike that gives other creatures double strike. Warrior is the only type in standard with any real support. It's pretty easy to imagine a Chief of the Edge swinging for 6 on turn 3, before hitting for 12 on turn 4. It's also easy to imagine them just getting murdered by a Drown in Sorrow, because the warriors in standard are either tiny or lacking in impact relative to their mana costs.

Or are in RUG so as to preclude the BW-centered warrior support cards.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Heatwizard posted:

'but but but what if they print a bunch of cat tribal or whatever"

:shepface:

yes I know it's garbage shut up

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LordSaturn posted:

I bolded the question that he seems to be asking - why not play Sonic Seizure as a way to leverage dead cards?

Because you're 2-for-1ing yourself. I mean, look at Lightning Bolt. You're paying R to have one card deal 3 damage. Sonic Seizure is paying R and two cards to deal 3 damage.

R and 2 cards to deal 3 damage is not a very good deal when you can pay R and 1 card to deal 3 damage. It's not like you're lacking in ways to deal damage for one mana. Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Lava Spike, Swiftspear, Goblin Guide, Lavamancer, Rift Bolt...

Even excess lands can be fuel to Fireblasts. What the hell are we discarding to Sonic Seizure that we wouldn't rather be playing, and why are we playing that in the first place?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Emerson Cod posted:

For clarity's sake - I'm talking about Sonic Burst

Oh god so we're talking about a worse card than Sonic Seizure? Just play Flame Rift and Price of Progress, Christ. Being at instant speed isn't very important when you're leaving yourself without something to do at sorcery speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Emerson Cod posted:

But then you could play Bump In The Night!

Only half serious - doesn't Modern burn do this, though? Not play Tyrant's Choice, but haven't some builds splashed for Bump? Of course Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge are nothing compared to the big W.

Also to play Bump you'd have to pick between weakening your fireblasts by having basic swamps or enabling Wasteland to work against you at all. Legacy Burn mana bases tend to be just mountains and fetches to enable Grim Lavamancer.

• Locked thread