Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Here's how I evaluate cards:

1. Does it draw me cards on the cheap
2. Does it do things if i draw a lot of cards
3. Does it win me the game if this is the only card that wins me the game in the deck

Joking aside price should be irrelevant here, we should be looking at how useful cards are going to be and what are useful frameworks for discussing this instead of spitballing ideas and being smug when one of your 200000 guesses ends up correct by the law of large numbers.

Anyway wrt dies to removal the points are

1. Does it die inefficently?
2. Does it die at all?

These cover a lot but they are all angles to look at, I mean it's like why siege rhino is good vs why some other fattie i can't think of (let's say butcher of the horde people love that guy for no good reason) is unplayable. Also why PLA/Aetherling own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Also fetchlands are not strictly better than Evolving Wilds because Evolving Wilds can fetch any basic subtype rather than just 2 and also you don't have to pay life to activate it

counterpoint though evolving wilds can't find nonbasics

realistically I don't think anyone plays evolving wilds without maxing out on fetches in their colors first in any format where that's an option

so when comparing cards I think that's the relevant criteria - does card B see play to perform a similar role as card A before card A sees 4 copies in a format where they both are legal?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 9, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
hey what about the better cycle of cycling lands

also vivid lands are the best

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also ravnica guild halls although only Vitu-Ghazi was really playable (unless we're not counting utility land cycles) also sunhome now and skarrg and maybe theres one more i can't think of.

There's also the Zendikar utility land cycle which is different from the innistrad and ravnica ones by virtue of tapping for colors e.g. Valakut/Oran-Rief/Emeria/Crypt of Agadeem/Magosi

Also zendikar and wwk each had a WUBRG cycle of common ETBT lands w/ ETB abilities

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 11, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Nephalia Drownyard, aka I_can't_think_of_a_win_condition_for_this_deck.land

hey thats not the same cycle as vitu-ghazi, sunhome, and skarrg :orks:

• Locked thread