Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Basically Card A is strictly better than another Card B if it can do anything that Card B can do in any reasonable* situation and do at least one of the following:
- (at least some of the time) provide additional upside while doing those things
- (at least some of the time) do the same thing for a cheaper price/less downside
- (at least some of the time) do the same thing for a cheaper price/with less downside

*This excludes narrow hatred/synergies from specific other cards such as Meddling Mage/Muraganda Petroglyphs and effects that allow opponents to control your actions. Some of these cards may be prominent enough in a format to make you run a strictly worse card to avoid/use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can't call 1CC strictly better than 1CD at all though. In a situation where you only have one C available the second one is better, and that's not be any stretch of the imagination an unreasonable scenario.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can say "Judge's Familiar is strictly better than Curse Catcher, barring tribal synergies" and that would be helpful for someone considering including a Curse Catcher in a non-tribal deck. If they are building a merfolk deck then they know to ignore it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean to go back to the original post that ignited this you could say "They won't print lands that are strictly better than basics (barring the fact that they are vulnerable to non-basic hate)". That would be fair, I don't think they're prepared to reprint the super strong nonbasic hate that would be required to make them worse than basics in realistic situations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also fetchlands are not strictly better than Evolving Wilds because Evolving Wilds can fetch any basic subtype rather than just 2 and also you don't have to pay life to activate it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Obviously in formats with true duals everyone runs them because they are stupendously good to the point of being a no-brainer, but in Standard there is the real benefit that it can find all your colours rather than just two. Some people even do run it before maxing out their on-colour fetches.
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9307&d=253419&f=ST
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8689&d=249642&f=ST
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8689&d=249663&f=ST
In any case this kindof shows the value of the term "strictly better". One card may be obviously entirely better than another in one format, but that doesn't necessarily translate to other formats unless there is genuinely no upside to using the second one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shard Volley lets you use the land before you bin it, unlike a similar spell with "discard a card" instead. It's not really good enough for Legacy but in Modern it works as a 2-of because you can cast them when you no longer need the land.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lands: if they tap for multiple colours of mana the turn you play them they are probably good

• Locked thread