Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Azajosh, the blind idiot dev

Fenicks posted:

Hi.

I haven't spent a lot of time on these boards lately because - as you know - we have not been giving or doing any updates. This is completely unacceptable and I'm embarrassed by the way communication has been handled. I don't feel like coming on every week and saying "Still no update" is helpful so I have shirked that responsibility to a degree. The last time we spoke was n the 10th and I was assured Josh is still working everyday and fully expects the game to be released and just needs "more time".

I got quite a few refund requests over the past week and I've been trying to figure out how to handle them. Here is where we are at:

We have a very small amount of funds leftover from the KS - they are currently being used in a very small capacity - an occasional asset purchase and to pay a few recurring costs such as adobe fees, storage, and a few other things. For all intents and purposes our Kickstarter dollars are accounted for.

So when it comes to refunds we've reached the point where we just can't really afford to do it - especially at the magnitude with which we got them requested.

If you purchased on Paypal:

You can charge back or request cancellation directly through Paypal.

If you backed us originally on Kickstarter at the Beta tier or above:

We don't have the ability to refund you now. If we come to the conclusion that the game can't or won't be released we'll start a system where we slooooowly start refunding everyone out of pocket. I didn't even think of the best way to do this but keep in mind that it would make me personally responsible for $30,000+ - so yes it would take us to a decade to pay everyone back - but we would figure out a way to start a lottery system or something. I would start with the highest tiers though so when no one gets money for 2 years thanks awesomeguys like Sean.

If you backed us on Kickstarter at the preorder tier:

I'm really sorry I can't envision us ever being able to come up with the remaining 60+ thousand dollars.

FULL DISCLAIMER - the game will be released, I don't plan on ever having to refund anyone, but I hope by hearing from me and having these terms and explanations laid out for you can put you all at rest.

Early access begins in / delayed to FOREVER.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps
Dev Blog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41735.0

That Which Sleeps is a Cool Mapgame where you play the role of an Eldritch Horror what is groggily going about it's Morning Routine.

Each of the 8 bad, dark evil, monster things has a unique playstyle. Karth fully awakens very quickly, plays like an agent on the map, and conquers the world through military action, while Azlan will take much, much longer to awaken but wins when he does.

That Which Sleeps is a turn-based strategy game where the player assumes the role of an ancient being who was sealed away in ages past but has now returned to reclaim dominion over the world. However, when you waken you are weak and must lurk in the shadows to avoid a return to your demonic slumber.

The player must balance an aggressive approach utilizing his considerable power and eager hordes with the need to remain unknown to the Champions and Heroes of the world. This allows for multiple play styles and various meaningful decision paths - all made more unique and re-playable due to the large cast of available agents and awakened demons aka "Ancient Evils". In addition, the world is customized at the beginning of the game as you explicitly lay out how you were sealed away, and what methods you used to manipulate the world in your slumber.

Current existing terrible, awful, no-good, very bad gods/demons/organs/reflective surfaces:

Azlan, the Dreaming God
Very slow-waking Old One who is more subtle than the others, specializing in small changes over time that slowly add up to an unstoppable force.

Dream Host: Bring elements from Azlan's dreamworld into the reality of the game, hiding clues, shrouding the world in mystery, and eventually merging the realms completely and winning the game in one stroke.

The Night Whispers: Subtly warp and twist the personalities of Heroes, Leaders, etc., to either drive them insane or merely adjust them to be more suitable pawns.

Belial, Herald of the Corrupted
Versatile Old One whose abilities augment a range of playstyles and who is able to recover from "mistakes" more readily.

Will over Fate: Perceive the random events that shape the world before they occur, and eventually learn to move these events, amplify them or even create your own on demand.

Dwelling in Darkness: Command beasts (and eventually weak-willed men) to do your bidding, including providing Infilitration in the far corners of the world.

Inatha, the Shrieking Wind
An Old One that allows for both fast and slow playstyles, specializing in terraforming and "area denial" through use of its voice.

The Gathering Storm: Expand the boundaries of your tundra home, advancing the cold and bringing winter to all the land. Create blizzards, freeze rivers and destroy crops as the arctic creeps across the face of the world.

In Voice and Form: Bring back together the scattered tones of your voice to bolster your own abilities and marshal your minions, or leave them scattered to deny meddling Heroes access to those areas by increasing their Danger and use them as remote outposts for your own forces.

Karth, the World in Flames
A fast-waking Old One who incarnates on the map to personally oversee his forces, specializing in military actions and direct confrontation.

War Without End: Increase the chance of conflict and make it more bloody: more attrition, more Wounds, etc.

Call of the Horde: Recruit orcs, goblins and other creatures to your cause at first, moving on to more powerful creatures as the game progresses.

Limos, the Unchained
NOTE: Limos was reworked at one point due to internal testing finding him overpowered, so he may be completely different now.
An Old One who desires to destroy all life, specializing in raising Undead hordes and general destructiveness.

The Gift of Death: Raise the slain to servitude as Undead, and grant the eternal gift to Agents and Heroes to increase the powers and bend their wills to the task of omnicide.

End of Days: March the world to the brink of the Apocalypse, spreading pestilence, drowning the land beneath the waves and even setting the very heavens on fire.

Moloch, the Fetid Primeval
A slow-waking Old One who, unlike Azlan, eschews subtlety in favor of omnipresence. Specializes in terraforming and overwhelming his foes with the sheer number of problems he causes.

Parasite: Spread your corruption throughout the world, at first laying waste to it in your fetid pools, and later on pushing your tendrils through for more direct imposition of your will.

Call of the Primitive: Revert the world to primeval times, regressing forests to the time before men - back when they were populated with ancient terrors. Eventually you can turn back time on civilization itself, turning whole cultures back toward their tribal and primitive roots.

Seraph, the Dark Star
An Old One who desires the world bow down to her splendor, specializing in Rituals and Artifacts, as well as having a unique "tower and light" mechanic.

Reflections of Grace: Recover your strength as you wake up, increasing the range and potency of your light and extending your dominion over the world and your power within that domain.

Celestial Artifice: Collect the shattered shards of her palace to recreate buildings and towers that emanate Seraph's sickly light. As more such buildings are constructed, the range of the light grows, as does Seraph's power. These shards can also be used to power celestial Rituals and forge legendary Artifacts.

Sisyphus, Man's Lament:
An Old One who wakes at a moderate pace who possesses different abilities varying with choices made by the player. Specializes in powerful Agents.

Of Mortal Birth: Select from different ability trees and receive changes to your abilities based on the choices you make during Scenario Generation (the questions that you answer before the game proper begins) and, later on, your interactions with the Chosen One. Depending on your choices, you may find yourself specialized for war, magic, or infiltration.

The Price of Victory: Strengthen your Agents to levels undreamed of, with imbues that impart boosts and abilities far beyond what other Old Ones are capable of, but inflicting them or you with drawbacks as well.

heres some pictures.

Here's a 20 minute dev video explaining most of the basic game concepts. hail satan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K461KtsmEQk

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 24, 2016

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Nice OP, and then you get to the actual screenshots and I don't know what the gently caress is going on. Looks cool, though?
E: Ah, I'll check out the dev. Thanks for this thread. Love eldritch horror stuff.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Screenshots of the map bugged me because it looks like Dominions 3 with mspaint anime unit icons. The video is a much better descriptor of how the game looks.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Normal Adult Human posted:

Screenshots of the map bugged me because it looks like Dominions 3 with mspaint anime unit icons. The video is a much better descriptor of how the game looks.

Yea the art style of the map is really clashing with the art style of the units.

vv - Yikes, I hope they get that sorted out because its a neat concept, and some of their concept stuff looks great.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 25, 2015

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dont know what the deal with the art was, but they mention in the dev blogs one of their artists who just happened to be focused on hero portraits didn't get the memo about the theme of the game and just did his own thing; which led to beta screenshots looking insane, like this:

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 25, 2015

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
So is this like a bigger budget dominions?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cool! I was hoping to see a thread on this. I'm a beta backer and have been following development on the forums and it's been coming along rather nicely, even if the map maker was heavily delayed. There was an update this Saturday with some new screens to contrast to the old stuff in the OP and shows off some of the new map terrain in the background.

This is a challenge view. A challenge is something that can be created on a site by you or the AI. In this I believe a kingdom has sent a hero to study in what happens to be a ruin from the age of horrors, this ruin has two modifiers which are an orc tribe (common) and ghouls (age of horror specific modifier), a ruin can have up to 4. This influences the difficulty of the challenge and you'll have the option to interfere in some way, either by riling up the orc tribe to try and kill the hero or driving him off. I love this image because it shows that PoI's and challenges now have cool little pieces of flavor art to spice up the window. From what the dev said a few options in this challenge is to try and dig up ancient artifacts, recruit ghouls (with necromancy agents) or interfere with the hero. You'll have a bunch of challenges to do every turn if you please but this is limited by either your power orbs (an old one resource) or agents present.

There's also a teaser for the title screen which shows off the Baron, which is an agent you can recruit.

Here's a map someone made with the new map tool, there's a lot of tiles missing still but they've promised to add more very soon.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sexpansion posted:

So is this like a bigger budget dominions?

It's supposed to be a lot like King of Dragon Pass. Less of a wargame and more of a survival mapgame?

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, hero art is loving dumb. Are they ever gonna change it?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

LotsBread posted:

Yeah, hero art is loving dumb. Are they ever gonna change it?

The game seems pretty cool but yeah, the art is pretty terrible. Interesting that it's set in a fantasy world though, usually this sort of thing takes place in a modern setting.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Anatharon posted:

The game seems pretty cool but yeah, the art is pretty terrible. Interesting that it's set in a fantasy world though, usually this sort of thing takes place in a modern setting.

On the other hand, playing as what's basically the grimdark final boss of a lovecraftian horror RPG to wipe out a bunch of JRPG rejects sounds like it could be good fun.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 25, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like the last four pictures in the OP are a bit unfair since those were placeholder assets used for the Kickstarter which aimed to raise money to hire artists. These are the most recent hero portraits I could find.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

One of the Old One concepts was basically :smaug: and I'm sad that one didn't make it in

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The images of the Old Ones are awesome, inspiring and give a strong sense of the-what the gently caress is in those screenshots.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns
I contributed a bit on this, and got to name a person.

Figured most people would be all 'self insert cool hero dude', so my chappy is basically a total slimeball politician type.

I look forward to hearing about a goon bribing my dude to bring destruction to the world.

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.
Google is failing me...where can I find the tech specs for this? This almost looks like my crappy old desktop might be able to run it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So new update today for beta backers, figured I'd share how the new map looks.

I'm actually really stoked about how the map maker is turning out. We should get our hands on the scenario editor soon too so we can start populating our maps with PoI's and nations.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's some stuff about game mechanics from the beta forums:

KDG dev posted:

Names have two aspects

1) The Origin
The Origin impacts how hard it is to discover this name, what ruins or lore you may need to research to uncover it, and what activities will lead to
EX. 'The Grave Lord' - Age of Sorrows, Difficulty - 10, Undead
2) The Dangers
What dangers the AI expects due to this name
Undead - 10
Underworld - 1

If the AI discovers this name, it knows that it needs to respond HEAVILY to Undead - so it will entice Holy powers to work with it, it will adjust training at guilds and orders under its control, and it will begin to retrain its elite units to handle undead hordes. It will also add 1 to Underworld as a point of conflict so heroes attempting to understand what is going on or wanting to deal with your threat will venture into the Underworld (which connects to Limos' prison).

Pretty simple implementation, but with complex interactions. By mixing and matching these values you can push the AI towards properly responding to threats even if it hasn't experienced them. These values are ALSO offset by experiences in the world, so the more undead they see the more the Undead value increases - if it diminishes too far they begin to doubt that this Name is correct and may cast it aside.

KDG dev posted:

It's interesting because where do you draw the line between "bug" and "feature" when it comes to an AI that is meant to be derailed. We designed the game so that small changes ripple outward, and simply giving the King a particular mental disorder can throw entire regions into chaos (or it may lead to his ouster and replacement by a Council of Enlightened Sages, unfortunately). My favorite behaviors are related to how far Heroes will go for those they love - I've managed to trick heroes into thinking a Noble had their love assassinated so then they go storming in and killing the nobleman, generally being executed right afterward. Other times they'll go on suicidal crusades against you, plunging into the badlands looking for your seal - or they'll stalk your agents and try to rally the world against them.

On the societal front one of the hardest things to balance are cultural shifts - so if a culture values something you tend to get people in charge who have that trait/personality. Originally their were ways to abruptly shift that, so you could make the people loathe that trait and suddenly entire nations would burst spontaneously into riots to purge their leaders. We made it a BIT MORE GRADUAL after a long spate of that. We also had an Orc Adventurer who Conan the Barbarianed his way into being King of a massive human kingdom in the Depths scenario - I never "fixed" that because it seemed to work as expected (and will rarely occur).

If you want TERRIBLE well then, the AI took a rocky path to get to where it is. My favorite terrible AI bug was when told to Raid a general would simply turn around and start burning his own farmland - we later took the buggy behavior and used it as a basis for "Scorched Earth" tactics, but for a long time you'd see campaigns completely derail when the generals would just go crazy and start burning down their own country. We had a bug once where Sages with competing knowledge would just go crazy if the other completed it first and try to kill them no matter what - and considering that sages rarely have good combat ability it led to the most pathetic series of "attack" events in the log. We've since changed vengeance/anger paths so that the more cunning agents will pursue Plots to discredit/blackmail/coup their foes instead of going for a duel or ambush

beta is supposedly going to drop in the next couple weeks.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 4, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Is the art continuing to improve because yikes

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

So new update today for beta backers, figured I'd share how the new map looks.

I'm actually really stoked about how the map maker is turning out. We should get our hands on the scenario editor soon too so we can start populating our maps with PoI's and nations.

The hexes are still really obvious, especially where it goes from shallow water to deeper water.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo. I understand current pricing trends/EA stuff tending towards charging people for getting in early, but doubling the price? That's pretty godawful.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ooh we have a thread for this, I am also a beta backer.

echronorian posted:

Is the art continuing to improve because yikes

The devs pretty much said that most of the map art is placeholder apart from the mountains, they were just showing off the idea of having small tent encampments to show gathering forces as well as the rough game ui.

For other art, the Great Old One art in the OP appears to be final and you'll see some unit art there and I think Demiurge posted some heroes from various cultures.

Here is some of the agent artwork:

The Prophet, your starting agent.

The Baron, an undead warrior.

The Lost, some souls bound together.

Also it might be worth having these links in the OP:

The Wiki which is mostly upto date. http://thatwhichsleeps.gamepedia.com/That_Which_Sleeps_Wiki

Official updated FAQ that is regularly updated by a forum mod http://www.kingdinosaurgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=213

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The way they talk about the gamestate all that's left to do is get the art assets finalized before beta is ready.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
What's the price?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

£16/22€/$25 Pre order.
£33/44€/$50 Pre order, beta access and add a character in the game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't think the price range is entirely unreasonable, I do however feel like they are only comfortable with the price range because of the kickstarter art budget and they thought that increased the quality of the game enough to bump the price a bit. The kickstarter pre-order point was $10 but that was before stretch goals and the art budget.

There's supposed to be a big announcement this weekend too, which should be very soon. I hope its the scenario builder.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 5, 2015

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The scenario builder and the beta were supposed to be bundled together but that was said way back in The Before Times (december) so i dont know anymore.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This seems really awesome, but the utterly insane dichotomy between the Old One art and everything else is bothering me way more than it should. Fitting, I suppose.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The artstyle keeps changing. It originally looked like this:

and right now i think the latest screenshot looks like:

and they're deciding whether they want little army mans or big army mans, so they're both there for contrast?? the mspaint building art is a placeholder, the agent portraits are not.
The other thing they were adamant about was armies spawning terrain doodads like tents and bonfires near wherever they're located, I don't know how they're going to do both that and the figurine style they have going on here.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 6, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that looks tons better. Definitely have to keep an eye on this, I do enjoy a good mapgame.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully the update this week is the "hey guys we know what the game is going to look like now and we're no longer terrified of scaring people off with our mspaint/anime hybrid baby." and maybe also "so here's the beta."

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Orv posted:

Yeah that looks tons better. Definitely have to keep an eye on this, I do enjoy a good mapgame.

I was laughing pretty hard at the concept / kickstarter art but yeah this recent stuff is hitting the mark.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Another game that's a little like this is Cults and Daggers which is on Steam. It's also pretty ugly but it's kind of genre related.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love ugly rear end mapgames but 30 dollars is too much for that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cults and Daggers is definitely on my sale list, but I have to wonder if it will suffer like so many other mapgames by thinking it's "too good for a sale".

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If illwinter managed to learn, surely there is hope.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Another game that's a little like this is Cults and Daggers which is on Steam. It's also pretty ugly but it's kind of genre related.

I got this as part of a review process, and while the game has potential, put your mind away from any multiplayer. The multiplayer runs by buggy, poorly explained true-Play By Email. You have to manually transfer files between people every turn, assuming the game doesn't outright crash from trying to load the savefile. I've not played much singleplayer as a result, but what I did play seemed to have a solid foundation of mechanics, albeit probably a bit more shallow then someone might expect if they are going in with a Dominions 4 mindset.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The devs posted an update:

quote:

Much better week than last, though still slower than we had hoped. We managed to put one of the two major GUI bugs behind us but the Political bug (or bugs?) are demanding a decently sized rework. However, we stopped working on them midway through last week to make the changes to the backend and Modding Tools that we saw were necessary from play-testing with the latest changes. Good progress was made, and we hope to have the first half of the Mod Tools out to the Mod Backers in the near future. Right after that we go back to fixing GUI, updating AI, then Beta. Glorious, precious, delayed Beta.

Also diplomacy menu

quote:

Here's a sample Faction screen allowing your Agents to conduct some diplomacy with the various unearthly creatures of the game - the Mi-Go are, I believe, the third Faction race we've mentioned and, like the others, have unique mechanics. They aren't your competition, they have their own bizarre motivation but if you play their game you may be able to leverage them to your advantage. Mi-Go perform two interesting actions in the world, one is that they launch Expeditions to recover very particular artifacts that concern them from the Age of Damnation and the other is that they grow "Fascinated" with interesting people - if their fascination grows strong enough they may begin to talk with that person, and eventually offer to take them on a fantastic journey in a brain-jar.... say no long enough and they may just go from asking to demanding. Most notables will not return from that journey, but those that do may gain unique abilities and knowledge (or be insane). You can attempt to manipulate who the Mi-Go are interested in, and you can even volunteer to go yourself. Be careful, because dealing too much with the Mi-Go raises your own fascination and they may decide to abscond with your Agent's very necessary brain.

There is also some info about guilds/cabals/orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not sure I like those turn counters, I was under the impression there would be a lot of stuff to do during turns but with basic actions taking several there's going to be some next turn button spam going on.

• Locked thread