Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Is it me or do male ginger cats always end up being huge beasts? My mother has one and it is the size of a small to medium dog and there was a couple in the area when I was growing up that I used to think were tigers in the bushes :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Mamma is going to be so glad to have you once they all start walking.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
Sorry ya'll, I can't resist taking (and posting) pictures of the kitten piles. Also I just discovered that the little mostly-black orphan kitty, the second one back here, is a bobtail :love:

Brothers make the best pillows. That is such a content little kitty face :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Never apologize.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
Well, you don't want to risk Kitten Explosion Syndrome, the only way to prevent it is to post more pictures (please)

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
You're right, we can't risk KES! Therefore, have some pictures.

Here are the original 3 kittens, sprawled all over the poor lil orphan kitties and hiding them :D Pretty sure at this point that the little grey one is just that, grey and not dilute tortie. Still not sure on the dark one whether she's a torbie or a tabby. And the orange one is just a big lummox.

You can see all 5 babies in this kitten pile picture.

I spy, with my little eye ... a kitten with one eye open! Go little orphan kitty! Makes me think maybe they weren't as young as we thought, they were just woefully underfed :(

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Mom cat's face it just too much. Yay kitties!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Mom cat's face it just too much. Yay kitties!
I know, she looks so over this whole parenting poo poo

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
Kitten Photodump; apologies in advance for So Many Pics. The kittens are three weeks old tomorrow and all are doing really well; they are healthy and happy and, because Momcat has calmed down so much and is so relaxed, they are all friendly and open to being held and patted. And Momcat? We've been really working on it, and she will now let me touch her front paws and even, occasionally, skritch her chin a little.

Hands above her head or raised above eye level are a big no-no, as is trying to touch her body, but I think touching her at all is a huge stride for a kitty who as far as I know or the woman who has fed and cared for this feral colony for 3 years knows has never let a human touch her before. The kittens are just flipping adorable, and when my husband or I are having a bad day we make a beeline for the Kitty Room for some kitten therapy.

The grey kitten is the only girl, and she is also the most shy and timid of the kitties.

The orange boy is the biggest and most outgoing;

the little guy with the Charlie Chaplin mustache is -- I don't know what you would call him, I guess a bobtail? but he has No Tail. None. No stub, no nothing. Zip. I've honestly never seen that before, is that A Thing?
Cowcat (on the left here) is the most vocal and the most curious,

and the little tabby is the sweetest and most cuddly.

We are totally besotted with these kitties; it's a good thing there is a foster already waiting for them, or I'd really be in danger here. I'm already trying to find alternatives to re-releasing Mom at her original feral colony, and have reached out to several local people about maybe taking her as a barn cat.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:swoon:

Never apologize for kitten pictures. :colbert: They are so cute.

This thread is dangerous; I don't need a third cat.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
You don't. You need a third and a FOURTH, that way they would entertain each other and not annoy your current cats! Actually I already have a line on a home for little bobtail boy and Another Boy To Be Named Later, and a foster with the rescue I volunteer for is waiting for the rest. These kitties will have happy homes.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thank you for the update! They are all so cute aaaggghhhhh :3: :3: :3:

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
No tail = Manx gene, so it is a thing. The same gene can produce a range from a shorter than normal tail, a stub that's fused, or just a nubbin. It could be a spontaneous mutation which happens occasionally as it's a dominate gene. I am a little concerned that there's not even a nub, because sometimes the gene causes a spinal cord deformity when there's no tail at all. The complication doesn't cause noticeable problems until about 6 months old - mostly in the form of incontinence. Would be good to ask the vet about whether or not they can tell if there will be complications at this age.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

pandaid posted:

No tail = Manx gene, so it is a thing. The same gene can produce a range from a shorter than normal tail, a stub that's fused, or just a nubbin. It could be a spontaneous mutation which happens occasionally as it's a dominate gene. I am a little concerned that there's not even a nub, because sometimes the gene causes a spinal cord deformity when there's no tail at all. The complication doesn't cause noticeable problems until about 6 months old - mostly in the form of incontinence. Would be good to ask the vet about whether or not they can tell if there will be complications at this age.

Thank you! I'll definitely have my bet take a look and see if they can tell anything. There is literally no tail at all; you can run your hand across his little backside and there's just nothing, so I'll get it looked at.He's a cute little bugger though!

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

This is a lovely thread :3: Back in 2009 my friend found an abandoned litter, three weeks old, and I took them home and bottle fed them until they were grown, and my family ended up keeping 3 out of 4. One lives with me and she is the sweetest thing ever. I'm glad you got ahold of Momcat before she popped so they could grow up with people.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
I think it's sweet that not even the bio-kittens look like the momcat, so they're all an adorable family with no odd ones out. She's pretty too, even with that expression.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wow, that's what you call a Maury litter. Pretty neat!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

GIVE ME THAT CAT

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
Kittehs :D They'll be four weeks old tomorrow and they are awesomely cute. When I come into their room they run out and cry for me to open the cage and take them out :swoon: It's getting harder and harder to think about giving them up, but realistically I can't keep them with 5 of my own already including one with serious health issues which are getting worse :( As cute as they are, though, I know they'll find loving homes. And in good news (a) I had little bobtail guy checked by my vet and he has one vertebra worth of tail and good anal tone; she thinks he'll be fine, and (b) Momcat will be going to a farm just north of here as a barn cat; they only have one and need at least one more, they feed their cat once a day in addition to providing all the mice they can eat :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmbHCrb_B_s

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

Elaieva posted:

Kittehs :D They'll be four weeks old tomorrow and they are awesomely cute. When I come into their room they run out and cry for me to open the cage and take them out :swoon: It's getting harder and harder to think about giving them up, but realistically I can't keep them with 5 of my own already including one with serious health issues which are getting worse :( As cute as they are, though, I know they'll find loving homes. And in good news (a) I had little bobtail guy checked by my vet and he has one vertebra worth of tail and good anal tone; she thinks he'll be fine, and (b) Momcat will be going to a farm just north of here as a barn cat; they only have one and need at least one more, they feed their cat once a day in addition to providing all the mice they can eat :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmbHCrb_B_s

does little bobtail have a ring of white surrounding his nub?! So glad it looks like he'll be ok. My Manx rescue cat says to him that you can still swish your tail even when you got none. Just give it a wiggle.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

pandaid posted:

does little bobtail have a ring of white surrounding his nub?! So glad it looks like he'll be ok. My Manx rescue cat says to him that you can still swish your tail even when you got none. Just give it a wiggle.

He does have a ring of white around his silly little nub. It's ridiculously cute.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

Just in case anyone wondered what was going on with these babies .. they're growing up, happy and healthy, tested FIV and FLIV negative, and will be up for adoption in another couple of weeks. They're rowdy little shits and I love them all and will miss them when they go to their perma-homes. But ... this happened, too.

Little Mama here was chased into a garage by some dogs and had her kittens on a pile of tools. The owner of said garage also had dogs, and All The Dogs wanted kitten for breakfast (or lunch, or whatever). So Little Mama and her four bebes are now living in my other bedroom. Kittens are Black, Black and Grey, White-that-is-probably-going-to-be-flame-point, and Orange. All, including Little Mama who is under a year old and probably more like 7 or 8 months old, are flipping adorable. My husband is a saint.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh my god I want to adopt all of the kittens

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That orange boy is going to be a SASSY MOLASSY

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How do you keep getting all the kittens!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Gimme some kittens! Aaaa! :kimchi: You're the best, Elaieva.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

How do you keep getting all the kittens!
No secret there .. I do TNR with a local rescue organization, and so people reach out to me all the time about cats and kittens (and possums and raccoons and and and). Usually they just want some advice, but sometimes they really need help -- like in Little Mama's case, where the person whose garage she had kittens in literally could NOT keep them and care for them because her dogs would happily kill them and she didn't have a spare room to separate them into. When I can, I help, because I hate saying "go to Animal Control" since our local AC is a very high-kill shelter, and our local Humane Society only accepts owner surrenders and not strays or ferals. Hence, All The Kittens. I am currently kittened out though; with my four perma-cats I now have 15 cats in the house and that is 11 too many, according to both the cats and my husband ;) I *cough* haven't re-released Momcat to her colony yet, although her babies are weaned, because I've grown attached to her grumpy little face and am trying to convince said husband that she would make a good outdoor cat here. Not working very well so far but I'm still trying and she's still hanging out with her kittens being grumpy :D

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Elaieva posted:

I *cough* haven't re-released Momcat to her colony yet, although her babies are weaned, because I've grown attached to her grumpy little face and am trying to convince said husband that she would make a good outdoor cat here. Not working very well so far but I'm still trying and she's still hanging out with her kittens being grumpy :D
pictures of bitchy momcat please

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

This thread gives me happies. :kimchi:

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
Kitten Cuteness -- first, the original five, Momcat's kittens:

Four out of five kittens agree that the crib is a fine place for kittens to sleep (from left to right Victor, Jean, Logan and Charles):

and since Hank wasn't in that picture, have a picture of Hank:

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
Next, Little Mama's five kittens. What?? But she only had four kittens, El, you say? Right you are -- we have another little orphan kitty. This one was found stuck in a fence, and after the finder waited for several hours and mama cat never came back, she picked up the wee little one and put out a call for help. Little Mama's kittens are a couple of weeks older and much bigger, but nobody else had a nursing mama at the moment and the kitten wasn't eating ... it was worth a shot, and Little Mama only took a little coaxing to accept her. So, without further ado, meet Tiny Girl. Tiny Girl is not only tiny, she's a calico and another bobtail. She's going to be a cutie when she gets older!

The little flamepoint kitten, who is female, is sweet as sugar and spends a lot of her time curled up with Tiny Girl.

And finally, no orange kitten I've ever known has had an ounce of dignity and the one in this litter is no exception to that rule. He sure is cute, though, and you can see little flamepoint girl's pretty coloring starting to show in this picture.

Kittens :smug:

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Oh man am I a sucker for torties and calicos. :swoon: MomCat's got some serious tortitude going on with that resting bitchface.

More MomCat and Little Mama and Tiny Girl please! (Ok, the rest are pretty cute too I guess.)

DLAO
Dec 20, 2004
OP, I work with a rescue group too and we have a momma cat and kittens and they are just SOOOO ADORABLE to watch grow from little eyeless, earless lumps of fur to real kittens that run, play, and sleep with ears and eyes. Ours are about seven weeks and getting spayed/neutered next week and then they will be up for adoption, but they just found their on/off buttons for purring and it's adorable!

Those babies look SO FREAKING ADORABLE!!! I WANT THE BOBTAIL ONE!!!

Thank you for everything that you do!!!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Elaieva posted:

Kitten Cuteness -- first, the original five, Momcat's kittens:

Four out of five kittens agree that the crib is a fine place for kittens to sleep (from left to right Victor, Jean, Logan and Charles):

and since Hank wasn't in that picture, have a picture of Hank:

Give me Logan right this second :3:

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I don't know what is going on with Charles's face, but I like it.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
Wow, I didn't mean for this thread to sit without updates for so long! Momcat's 5 kittens, the x-kittens, have gone off to find their forever homes. Momcat .. well, Momcat :D She's staying right here, with me. She currently lives under one of my couches most of the time, with occasional forays out to lie under the end table and watch the goings-on in the house, but she's gotten bold enough to come to the kitchen for breakfast and dinner now. She loves treats, so I'm working with those and she's gotten to the point that she'll take a treat from my hand if the other cats aren't around and the dog is in his kennel and the moon and stars are aligned properly. We know that Mom was in the feral colony where I trapped her for at least 5 years, so it's going to take her a while to adjust to being an Owned Kitty but I'm willing to give her that time.

Little Mama is a twit, and now that her kittens are 6 weeks old she's in heat. Cue loud yowling, lots of it. She's going to get fixed on Monday, thank God, and as soon as Tiny Girl is a little more weaned she will be returning to her feral colony. Unlike Momcat Little Mama has no interest in being an owned cat ;) Her kittens, now, they are another story! They are growing up and so pretty; hard to get pictures of them because they are so nonstop, but here are a few :)

Oliver. I'm beginning to wonder whether his eyes are going to change, at 6 weeks they are still REALLY blue. Ollie is super outgoing and super sweet.

Ash. His brother Midnight is solid black, but Ash has white hairs mixed in with the black so that he looks ashy. Ash loves him some tummy rubs.

Barbie. Barbie is beautiful. Barbie is dumb. Dumber than a box of rocks, bless her pretty little heart. She is probably the dumbest cat I've ever known. However, she's really pretty, and really sweet. Hopefully she will find a home that will love her for her beauty and not care that she's so. so. stupid.

Midnight was nonstop tonight and I couldn't get a picture.

And finally, Tiny Girl. I'm going to make another post about Tiny Girl because she has some problems :( but here's a picture in the meantime. Tiny Girl is 2 weeks younger than the other kittens, and is as smart as Barbie is dumb. She's also super sweet and I am crazy in love with her. My husband refuses to hold her because he says if he ever does, he isn't going to let her go.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
So... if you sneak her into his hands... you could keep her?

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
If you have some time, maybe you could post pics of the momcat. I just love her face. She has a funny expression in all the pics.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

They all look very lovely. I guess that's kind of a redundant thing to say about kittens though.

What does Barbie do that makes her so stupid? Just general "woo, I am a cat" stupidness or anything specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

McDragon posted:

What does Barbie do that makes her so stupid? Just general "woo, I am a cat" stupidness or anything specific?
Since Little Mama is a feral, she and the kittens are in a cage setup such as I had for Momcat and her brood. As the kittens get older they can get in and out at the bottom of the cages, but adult cats are too large. Well, Barbie could figure out how to get out just fine .. but she couldn't figure out how to get back in. So she would go to the side of the cage nearest Little Mama, and she couldn't remember how to get in there, so she would start climbing. She would get on top of the cage, and then (because she was a little uncoordinated kitten) her legs would fall through the grates. And she couldn't figure out how to get down. And she would cry, and cry, and cry. And I would come from wherever in the house I was, at whatever time it was, and rescue her, and soothe her, and put her back into the cage, and go back to bed or to whatever I was doing in the daytime. And she would do it again. And again. And again. This went on from when she was about 3.5 weeks old, until just this week (she is now 6.5 weeks) when she finally figured out that hey! she can get back into the cage THE SAME WAY THE OTHER KITTENS DO! THE SAME WAY SHE GOT OUT!

She does other stupid things ... but this. This was notably stupid. Good thing she is really pretty.

• Locked thread